Post-Game Talk: Preds @ Flames 3-9-16 8:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm really not sure why anyone is shocked, most of us thought coming into the season that 3 on 3 was going to be a brutal format for us because up and down the line up we just don't have the forward skill to do it.

I'd almost be willing to bet that most of the teams that are good at it are those that can roll out several guys that are pretty decent at puck handling, have a scoring touch, and some decent speed.

Forsberg is about the only one I would say really fits that bill, maybe Joey. Rest are either fast, but poor puck handlers and shooters, or ok shooting but not the best puck handlers, or they are so slow they couldn't play keep away with my fat butt.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well for the next OT I hope the Preds can just pass better to their team mates and handle the puck better as that right there would help their chances in OT alot. That and back checking quickly/fast and taking their man to keep from being scored on. What happens though is our players will hold on to the puck too long or try to take it in themselves or to the net only to be stripped by their opponents and taken the other way or not make great/quick/smooth passes to their teammate who then has their opponent on top of them to battle and take the puck the other way rather than passing the puck to their teammates w/ smooth/quick passes to give themselves some time and space and better opportunity to work and get closer to the goal to score. If I was the Preds I would just keep passing the puck to their teammates ever time the opponent got close to them and then try to get open in order to receive a pass back and then work their way to the net until they were close enough to shot the puck and have a good scoring chance.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I'm really not sure why anyone is shocked, most of us thought coming into the season that 3 on 3 was going to be a brutal format for us because up and down the line up we just don't have the forward skill to do it.

I'd almost be willing to bet that most of the teams that are good at it are those that can roll out several guys that are pretty decent at puck handling, have a scoring touch, and some decent speed.

Forsberg is about the only one I would say really fits that bill, maybe Joey. Rest are either fast, but poor puck handlers and shooters, or ok shooting but not the best puck handlers, or they are so slow they couldn't play keep away with my fat butt.

I am just not buying that- at least not now. We have plenty of skill to at least be a .500 team in 3 on 3. I watch every OT game I can, and I see teams with far less skill than us winning games. Ron Hainsey was on the ice tonight in the Hurricanes OT win in Boston. Do the Canes have more skill than us?? Not even close.

We stink at 3 on 3- there is no debating that- but no way anyone can convince me it has anything to do with skill. At this point it is a perfect storm of things, most of all mental. We have no confidence whatsoever and go out there expecting bad things to happen. That is hard to overcome.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I think lack of forward speed and quickness among our top guys hurts us 3 on 3 more than anything. Speed and quickness gives you two things, odd man rush chances off counters, and the ability to play aggressive man to man coverage in the defensive end. In OT size is not an advantage like it is in more crowded ice. We simply don't have a lot of skilled forwards with great man to man ability or speed. Our quickest guys are Jarnkrok and Arvidsson. While those two and Smith have the best skating speed among our forwards. Neal and Forsberg are good skaters, but not fast skaters. Neal being more of a sniper and Forsberg more of a stickhandler, which as we have seen can actually be negative in OT. Johansen's and Weber's strength games and Ribeiro's passing game just aren't suited well for 3 on 3 honestly.

Josi and Eckholm matched against forwards is almost always a mismatch in our favor. But the problem we've had all year is if they do what they do best and carry the puck in deep our forwards are getting burned covering for them (or not covering for them). And forward defense has been our weakest area all year whether on even strength or on the pk. We just don't have a lot of good defensively responsible forwards. Especially against small quick forwards in open ice like Gandreau.

Personally I think we should see more Jarnkrok and Avridsson out there than we do. And less Weber, Forsberg, Johansen, Ribeiro.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
^^^I'm all for giving that a try. Put our fast skaters out there and see what happens. Can't hurt to try something new. If that doesn't work then I think the team just needs to learn to pass the puck faster/quicker/better/smoother and almost play keep away from the opponent until they can inch their way closer to the goal to shoot the puck then for the best scoring chance.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Why so he can fall down and give the other team an odd man rush? He needs to work on his skating and strength first.

We are giving up tons of odd man rushes now. You don't think he would be more of a threat to score than what we have been throwing out there??

We 1-12 without him- can't be any worse with him.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
We are giving up tons of odd man rushes now. You don't think he would be more of a threat to score than what we have been throwing out there??

We 1-12 without him- can't be any worse with him.

All am saying is having him out there would put us on twice as many odd man rushes due to Arvidsson falling on the ice. It's funny that Pete Weber calls Smith "Crazy Legs" because that name really applies to Arvidsson. It's like his legs get to going so fast that the rest of his body can't keep up and he falls down and it happens too often. One would have alcohol poisoning if they took a drink in a game each time it happened.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
All am saying is having him out there would put us on twice as many odd man rushes due to Arvidsson falling on the ice. It's funny that Pete Weber calls Smith "Crazy Legs" because that name really applies to Arvidsson. It's like his legs get to going so fast that the rest of his body can't keep up and he falls down and it happens too often. One would have alcohol poisoning if they took a drink in a game each time it happened.

Still think its worth a shot putting him out there. Much less hitting and physicality in 3 on 3 OT- a lot easier for him to stay on his feet.

The guy is a playmaker- an example being the play he made on the Bitetto goal. Was a thing of beauty- that is the kind of skillful plays we are missing in OT.

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada
Still think its worth a shot putting him out there. Much less hitting and physicality in 3 on 3 OT- a lot easier for him to stay on his feet.

The guy is a playmaker- an example being the play he made on the Bitetto goal. Was a thing of beauty- that is the kind of skillful plays we are missing in OT.

I agree, I say give him a try. Besides, whats the worst that could happen? We lose in OT? lol

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville

Flip may have the skill set, but he has not been an effective choice because his thought process 3on3 has been poor. Ribs should be good but he too often just doesn't want to play D. Wilson and Fish would be good choice, but neither can finish at all this year. 2 Dmen, which is our strength, puts us in that triangle zone - we've all seen how well that works.

Joey/Neal/Ek
Flip/Hook/Elly
Smith-Wilson-Fish/Josi

Sure wish Watson wasn't slow as molasses, cause he sure seems to see the game the right way and have the instincts for 3on3.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Why so he can fall down and give the other team an odd man rush? He needs to work on his skating and strength first.

Kind of like Ellis falling down and then watching JG speed by him and score 5 hole. I say give the guy a chance. What would it hurt? Can't get any worse!

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Kind of like Ellis falling down and then watching JG speed by him and score 5 hole. I say give the guy a chance. What would it hurt? Can't get any worse!

you really can't even blame ellis on that one. eckholm falling and then trying to get back up and tripping ellis was what caused that fiasco.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Screenshot_2013-12-04_16.37.38_large.png

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
You do realize there was no OT when he played right? It was either a win, a loss or a tie. OT didn't get introduced until recently and there was certainly very little 3 on 3 play during regulation.
I'm throwing a little sarcasm towards our Hall of Famer Asst. coach not having a handle on the new 3 on 3 because he " Has Never Done It Himself" so he might have to do some research or ask for help which he would never do because he knows everything there is about hockey.
Thanks for the update on overtime , never did like going to bed after watching a tie on my black and white TV in the early sixties.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'm throwing a little sarcasm towards our Hall of Famer Asst. coach not having a handle on the new 3 on 3 because he " Has Never Done It Himself" so he might have to do some research or ask for help which he would never do because he knows everything there is about hockey.
Thanks for the update on overtime , never did like going to bed after watching a tie on my black and white TV in the early sixties.

So you call out an assistant coach yet the other assistant and the head coach are free of criticism? Last time I checked the head coach is responsible for everything that happens. And let me explain, while he delegates duties to his assistants, he is ultimately responsible for the outcome.

Not sure of the animosity, even though sarcastic, is warranted to be thrown at Housley.

At the end of the day he's been around long enough to have a very positive influence on 5 of the 6 defensemen currently in the lineup.

The 3 on 3 issues are a problem and not really sure how to fix it except to change philosophy. Who is responsible for that change? One person, Laviolette.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Someone start the GDT! I am not feeling lucky today or I would do it (I have zero superstitions in general...except for hockey where I have a million).

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
So you call out an assistant coach yet the other assistant and the head coach are free of criticism? Last time I checked the head coach is responsible for everything that happens. And let me explain, while he delegates duties to his assistants, he is ultimately responsible for the outcome.

Not sure of the animosity, even though sarcastic, is warranted to be thrown at Housley.

At the end of the day he's been around long enough to have a very positive influence on 5 of the 6 defensemen currently in the lineup.

The 3 on 3 issues are a problem and not really sure how to fix it except to change philosophy. Who is responsible for that change? One person, Laviolette.

Your right I shouldn't of been sarcastic or negative with a asst. coach. I should every time we discuss a minor problem mention the coach, players, manager, trainers and owners who hired the management team, who hired the coach. I should of spread it around , not just mention his name.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Since I moved to Tennessee (originally from Michigan), Predators have been kicking butt! It's nice to have a team that can win on any given night. (Red Wings are free falling)

How do ya'll like Ryan Johansen thus far? I really liked Seth Jones, but I think RJ is a player Preds really needed.

I live in Spring Hill, TN btw!!! Love it here

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Your right I shouldn't of been sarcastic or negative with a asst. coach. I should every time we discuss a minor problem mention the coach, players, manager, trainers and owners who hired the management team, who hired the coach. I should of spread it around , not just mention his name.

Minor problem? You're killing me Smalls.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I knew from the username you're were an old school player/parent or huge fan. I remember 5 am practices........

The hate for Housely seems to be personal, can you fill us in?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Since I moved to Tennessee (originally from Michigan), Predators have been kicking butt! It's nice to have a team that can win on any given night. (Red Wings are free falling)

How do ya'll like Ryan Johansen thus far? I really liked Seth Jones, but I think RJ is a player Preds really needed.

I live in Spring Hill, TN btw!!! Love it here
Its been a win win trade for both teams. I was one of the biggest Jones fans here but even I knew we needed to trade him for a guy like Johansen. The trade has allowed our 2nd line to feast on opposing teams and we're all the better for it. Jones has been killing it in Columbus as well. Johansen is the best young center we've ever had to this point.

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
I knew from the username you're were an old school player/parent or huge fan. I remember 5 am practices........

The hate for Housely seems to be personal, can you fill us in?

Housely is a great guy . No hate. just giving him the gears for not doing some different plays that the other teams are doing in OT. He has a lot of influence on the team defence in OT just like the game.
He would just smile and laugh if someone brought up the fact he has not played a minute of 3 on 3 OT , its new , all the teams are learning . I'm sure we will see some standard plays in OT next year just like the drop pass on the PP everyone is using now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad