Friedman: Predicts Avs Will Go “Big-Game Hunting”

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think the Avs would be hesitant to give up a roster player. 1st + 2nd + Bowers/Kaut would be my guess.

Problem is that we don't have a 2nd rounder this year and that Bowers/Kaut are having a horrible start in the AHL so far...

That said. I wouldn't give up much more for any type of rental from an Avs POV anyways. But if we are talking about a guy with term like Rakell that certainly won't cut it...

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Problem is that we don't have a 2nd rounder this year and that Bowers/Kaut are having a horrible start in the AHL so far...

That said. I wouldn't give up much more for any type of rental from an Avs POV anyways. But if we are talking about a guy with term like Rakell that certainly won't cut it...
Still have 2nd next year.

Bowers and Kaut are both off to slow starts but I suspect they'll be fine by the new year. The skill is there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wouldn't the Stone trade to VGK be similar to Hall to COL? Maybe a touch more for Hall?

Brannstrom + 2nd + Oscar Lindberg = Stone + Tobias Lindberg
Jost + 2nd + defense prospect not named Byram?

The only reason the sens got that much for Stone was because he had agreed to an extension. Still a horrible trade for Ottawa given Stone was only 26 when it happened but I dont think Jersey gets that much unless Hall agrees to extend.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Still have 2nd next year.

Bowers and Kaut are both off to slow starts but I suspect they'll be fine by the new year. The skill is there.

I personally don't like only having 1 pick in the top 2 rounds in the next two drafts. Avs are IMO too young of a team to go all-in like that right now. I was also never a Kaut fan and have my doubts about Bowers offensive game. Don't think they hold as much value right now as we would want and I personally don't think they will be fine by new year. At least not fine enough to get targeted as an asset by a team trading away a bigger fish.

I am a huge Zadorov homer but given that Bednar just simply is not his biggest fan and the upcoming expansion draft putting his future with the Avs very much in doubt, I expect him to be the main piece going to the Devils if Friedman is really implying that the Avs are going for Hall...
I wouldn't like it and I dread signing Hall to an extension and wouldn't be mad at all if a team like Carolina or Dallas outbids the Avs for his services but that seems to be the most likely type of move I see the Avs try to make.
Maybe Kreider is more realistic than Hall given the rumors in the offseason but I probably would personally like that even less...

Hopefully Sakic stays put.

Reactions: CB Joe

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I personally don't like only having 1 pick in the top 2 rounds in the next two drafts. Avs are IMO too young of a team to go all-in like that right now. I was also never a Kaut fan and have my doubts about Bowers offensive game. Don't think they hold as much value right now as we would want and I personally don't think they will be fine by new year. At least not fine enough to get targeted as an asset by a team trading away a bigger fish.

I am a huge Zadorov homer but given that Bednar just simply is not his biggest fan and the upcoming expansion draft putting his future with the Avs very much in doubt, I expect him to be the main piece going to the Devils if Friedman is really implying that the Avs are going for Hall...
I wouldn't like it and I dread signing Hall to an extension and wouldn't be mad at all if a team like Carolina or Dallas outbids the Avs for his services but that seems to be the most likely type of move I see the Avs try to make.
Maybe Kreider is more realistic than Hall given the rumors in the offseason but I probably would personally like that even less...

Hopefully Sakic stays put.

There is no way Dallas makes a move for Hall. Dallas wouldn't part with the assets required and there is no cap space to make it work.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
A playoff team that has plenty of cap is looking to get a big fish? Wow, a bold prediction.

I mean, the Avs haven't exactly been known to be big game hunters for a while so it's not exactly a given that Sakic would pull the trigger.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
There is no way Dallas makes a move for Hall. Dallas wouldn't part with the assets required and there is no cap space to make it work.

Well Nill was sniffing around basically every big name recently and Dallas is maybe the one team in the league that reasonably could afford giving up the top end D prospect Devils fans are craving in Harley and I could see them make it work capwise if the Devils take back a bit of salary.

But yeah. Its not easy to find a destination for Hall that gives the Devils what they want and that has the capspace necessary to sign Hall to the horrible deal he will command. And if we are talking purely rental, he will probably fetch the usual 1st, conditional pick (potentially another 1st if he re-signs) + B+ prospect....
Thats probably also the most realistic scenario for the Avs getting Hall even though other more desperate teams would probably outbid us anyways.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the Avs would be hesitant to give up a roster player. 1st + 2nd + Bowers/Kaut would be my guess.
Would be their 1st this year, plus 1 or 2 prospects depending on who they are targeting along with the development of the prospects.

Pretty much any prospect not named Byram, so any of Kaut, Bowers, Newhook, etc. should be in play.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Avs don’t have a Brannstrom level D prospect and Byram is obviously way above Brannstrom’s level.

Because of this they’d probably have to use a higher pick. Here’s what I think is a fair proposal.

Conor Timmins
Justus Annunen
2020 1st
2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if Hall signs)

Annunen is an absolute stud by the way. By the time the WJC is over I’d bet he’s considered one of the best G prospects on the planet. He’s 19 years old and through 11 LIIGA games he has a .952 save percentage and 5 shutouts lol.

Do you guys not need a high level goalie prospect? What is the long term situation there or is Gru the guy until proven otherwise for the next 4-5 years (new contract)? Is there hope Werner is the one to take over at some point?
Timmins is a good piece along with the 1st, even if it's late. NJ has no 2nd or 3rd round pick this year.
It's more quantity than quality but it'd be one of the better offers.

So the plan would be to re-sign Hall but would Landy get re-signed as well with Mack not far behind?
I ask because you do have some big money coming off the year Landy is a UFA but that's also the year Makar probably gets his 7-8 year deal? Do you dare bridge Makar?

The only reason the sens got that much for Stone was because he had agreed to an extension. Still a horrible trade for Ottawa given Stone was only 26 when it happened but I dont think Jersey gets that much unless Hall agrees to extend.

Would Hall not want to re-sign there though?
Mack, Rantanen, Girard, Makar and Byram are some solid teammates to have for the next 6-7 years.
They have the cap to offer him a Stone like deal at $9.5 million

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
If you look at the 12th Thought, it's about Taylor Hall. So is the comment about Colorado going big game hunting put there right after on purpose? Hard to know since Friedman often talks in coded language.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Kaut, Timmins, Jost, 2020 1st seem to be the pieces that this trade would have to revolve around

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Colorado has the peices to get it done. Newhook + 2020 1st is a nice package to send NJD, and I’d have to think it would help. Their prospect pool isn’t necessarily booming. To make things worse: neither is their team.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Well Nill was sniffing around basically every big name recently and Dallas is maybe the one team in the league that reasonably could afford giving up the top end D prospect Devils fans are craving in Harley and I could see them make it work capwise if the Devils take back a bit of salary.

But yeah. Its not easy to find a destination for Hall that gives the Devils what they want and that has the capspace necessary to sign Hall to the horrible deal he will command. And if we are talking purely rental, he will probably fetch the usual 1st, conditional pick (potentially another 1st if he re-signs) + B+ prospect....
Thats probably also the most realistic scenario for the Avs getting Hall even though other more desperate teams would probably outbid us anyways.

Even if we could make the cap work, Harley is probably as close to untouchable as you can get right now, especially given the way Nill hoards his prospects.

Stars also have no need for another forward. We need a middle pairing RHD more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad