Friedman: Predicts Avs Will Go “Big-Game Hunting”

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
That would ramp them up the cup favourites. They're winning without their top line firing on all cylinders. When it starts working they'll be better plus adding Taylor Hall to Kadri would be insane. Lowkey want to see it just for the carnage.
how could they better with their top line firing on all cylinders if they're already winning with them not? winning by a larger score?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I can see them going after Rakell or Kase from Ana
Can’t see them going after more secondary pieces. They’re good players yes, but the Avs have a lot of depth already. They have the cap space and the assets to acquire legit game changing talent. They chased Panarin hard this offseason. I think a player like Hall will be who Sakic tries to add.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Can’t see them going after more secondary pieces. They’re good players yes, but the Avs have a lot of depth already. They have the cap space and the assets to acquire legit game changing talent. They chased Panarin hard this offseason. I think a player like Hall will be who Sakic tries to add.

I dunno if Rakell is a secondary piece though. I at least consider him very, very high end.

He had b2b 33 and 34 goal seasons before a down year last year(Still paced for 20+ goals and 50 points) and now this year he's being hindered by a heavily trap/defensive based system Anaheim is using.

I actually think Rakell in Colorado would be a real threat to hit 40 goals. He has a ridiculous shot and hasn't really had much opportunity to play with high offensive players like he would in Colorado.

But I have for a long time now been beating the "Hall to Colorado" drum and still do. He would turn this team from a Darkhorse cup team into a top tier contender. And I think we have the assets to put together a deal that actually gets him out of New Jersey that few other teams in the league could put together. They're obviously going to want Defense and probably Defense that can help now. If the Avs offered something like Zadorov/Timmins + 1st + Kaut/Newhook as a package I dont see anyone else topping that.

The beauty of it for Colorado is we have the cap space to get him signed as well.

...Now, all of that said, the obvious move is Hall but I'm not sure Joe goes down the obvious route. He's kind of made some surprise moves in the past and we've seen in some of his more recent moves that cap flexibility is still important for us. I do think we go big game hunting, but I wonder if we dont go big game hunting on a surprise name that people dont even expect to be available. A guy with term left on his deal and at a friendly cap hit like what we did this past summer with Kadri.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I am curious what it would take to get Hall to the Avs - Jost and a 1st? Timmins + Jost + 1st? As a fan of a different Western team I would be a little jealous if they did get Hall, but he fits their need and they have the space and the assets to get him, so I am intrigued at the possibility.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Wouldn't the Stone trade to VGK be similar to Hall to COL? Maybe a touch more for Hall?

Brannstrom + 2nd + Oscar Lindberg = Stone + Tobias Lindberg
Jost + 2nd + defense prospect not named Byram?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wouldn't the Stone trade to VGK be similar to Hall to COL? Maybe a touch more for Hall?

Brannstrom + 2nd + Oscar Lindberg = Stone + Tobias Lindberg
Jost + 2nd + defense prospect not named Byram?
Avs don’t have a Brannstrom level D prospect and Byram is obviously way above Brannstrom’s level.

Because of this they’d probably have to use a higher pick. Here’s what I think is a fair proposal.

Conor Timmins
Justus Annunen
2020 1st
2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if Hall signs)

Annunen is an absolute stud by the way. By the time the WJC is over I’d bet he’s considered one of the best G prospects on the planet. He’s 19 years old and through 11 LIIGA games he has a .952 save percentage and 5 shutouts lol.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
meaning Bigf Buff right? haha

Hall makes complete sense for them. There have been proposals on Hall to colorado and Colorado seems to have the assets to do it and likely could find a way to re-sign him should Hall want.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Avs don’t have a Brannstrom level D prospect and Byram is obviously way above Brannstrom’s level.

Because of this they’d probably have to use a higher pick. Here’s what I think is a fair proposal.

Conor Timmins
Justus Annunen
2020 1st
2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if Hall signs)

Annunen is an absolute stud by the way. By the time the WJC is over I’d bet he’s considered one of the best G prospects on the planet. He’s 19 years old and through 11 LIIGA games he has a .952 save percentage and 5 shutouts lol.

as a fan of neither team this seems like a decent offer.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I know I'm in the minority but I wouldn't want Hall. It's too bad there's not really any other big name available. I so badly wanted Stone last year, and consider him a much better player so don't know why the price for Hall would be more.

If he's available, Rakell would be a great fit. Also, I'd be hesitant to give up Timmins in any trade. Again, might be in the minority but I'd almost be more open to moving Byram. I at least see them as almost equally valuable.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I am curious what it would take to get Hall to the Avs - Jost and a 1st? Timmins + Jost + 1st? As a fan of a different Western team I would be a little jealous if they did get Hall, but he fits their need and they have the space and the assets to get him, so I am intrigued at the possibility.

I think Jost and a 1st is a good starting point.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I can see them going after Rakell or Kase from Ana

I'd have significantly more interest and would give up quite a lot more for Rakell than I would for Hall or let alone Kreider...

If Rakell is available, I wouldn't hesitate giving up our 1st + any non-Byram prospect + one of our secondary roster players (Zadorov, Jost, Compher, Donskoi, etc) + maybe even more.

I hope we stay away from Hall and Kreider. Both will be on horrible contracts a year from now and would cost too much...

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Avs are set up to make some runs here in the coming years. Shouldnt be surprising if they have a finals appearance or 2.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think the Avs would be hesitant to give up a roster player. 1st + 2nd + Bowers/Kaut would be my guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->