Salary Cap: Prediction: PK Subban's Next Contract

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The signing of Markov and Subban are unrelated. I guess it wouldn't be a Rockjngo thread if the obviously correct option were offered.

:shakehead

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
The signing of Markov and Subban are unrelated. I guess it wouldn't be a Rockjngo thread if the obviously correct option were offered.

:shakehead

Its related. Here's why:
By resigning Subban to a multi year contract, assuming $7-8 million per season. We don't have to resign Markov to a whipping $5-6 million contract and thus moving him for prospects and picks and continue our rebuild.

By not resigning Subban and possibly moving PK, we need to resign Markov as we have no offensive defenseman to run our powerplay.

I don't think we can resign both Markov and Subban. $15 million for a 36 year old and a risky Norris Winner.

Seabrook and Keith cost about $11 million
Chara and Seidenberg cost $11 million
Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk cost $16 million

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Of course.. I wouldn't trade him for Pietrangelo though.

I would trade PK Subban for Pietrangelo. I like Pet's game, very calm and well positioned. He can log big minutes, 6'3" 210lbs skates very well. Can QB the point and should be a future Norris Winner. What he lacks is to take over game like PK but isn't risky like PK. Finally Pet is signed at $6mil for 7 years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The situations are not really comparable as the salary cap is going up substantially. Moreover, those players were not underpaid for two years by bridge contracts;
You are right on both counts. MB was an idiot for not doing 5 x 5.
if Bergevin is at all competent, he'll go for the maximum term, so Subban's new deal will eat up more UFA years, something that will be taken into account when they are working out dollar amounts.
Might not be up to him. PK may want to go short term to see where the cap is at... Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I would trade PK Subban for Pietrangelo. I like Pet's game, very calm and well positioned. He can log big minutes, 6'3" 210lbs skates very well. Can QB the point and should be a future Norris Winner. What he lacks is to take over game like PK but isn't risky like PK. Finally Pet is signed at $6mil for 7 years.
No thanks.

NewHabsEra*

8 x 8.5 = 68 M is my guess since the cap will increase signifiantly..

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Its related. Here's why:
By resigning Subban to a multi year contract, assuming $7-8 million per season. We don't have to resign Markov to a whipping $5-6 million contract and thus moving him for prospects and picks and continue our rebuild.

By not resigning Subban and possibly moving PK, we need to resign Markov as we have no offensive defenseman to run our powerplay.

I don't think we can resign both Markov and Subban. $15 million for a 36 year old and a risky Norris Winner.

The problem isn't with paying Markov and Subban as you see it but rather all these $3 million and $4million contracts cluttering up the payroll. Gorges, Briere, Emelin, Borque and Gionta type contracts that are 1 or 2 too many. That's where we should be paring down instead of in the high rent district.

I'm okay with trading Markov if his demands are out of line or we can a get a good young player or two for him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It seems the Toronto media constant bashing of PK has filtered through to team Canada Management. It's bizzare how this guy is treated, if he played for the leafs being from Toronto he would be treated as a golden god. Don't believe anything you read or hear about him he is a great kid on and off the ice

I think there is a whole lot of validity to what you are saying. I think the Toronto media has had it out for this kid and it has caused a ripple affect. Why does he get booed in just about every arena? I see a good young man who carries himself very well. Maybe the old guard is not willing to accept the flamboyant black kid...there I said it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Its related. Here's why:

Markov and Subban signed would cost around 13 mil per....too much. Time for the kids...
Subban should be signed to 7-8 years at 8 mil per.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I think there is a whole lot of validity to what you are saying. I think the Toronto media has had it out for this kid and it has caused a ripple affect. Why does he get booed in just about every arena? I see a good young man who carries himself very well. Maybe the old guard is not willing to accept the flamboyant black kid...there I said it.

Just like we love to have Claude Giroux or Vincent Lecavalier and Dany Briere 7 years ago.

The Toronto media bashes Subban because:
1. He's Toronto native playing for arch rival Montreal.
2. He's black and is a minority.
3. He's a risky player.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Habs aren't in the driver's seat this time. They know they have to sign Subban essentially on his terms. It would probably be less expensive than matching another team's offer sheet for him.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm curious to know, if PK signed a home town discount at say 6.5 (same as what Price makes and not likely) will get more respect or will he be vilified as a moron and ruining the PA?

We all know what's going to happen when he signs a big deal - greedy, selfish player, only cares about money blah blah. Interested in the other scenario though.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I'm curious to know, if PK signed a home town discount at say 6.5 (same as what Price makes and not likely) will get more respect or will he be vilified as a moron and ruining the PA?

We all know what's going to happen when he signs a big deal - greedy, selfish player, only cares about money blah blah. Interested in the other scenario though.

highly doubt hometown with newport. longer term? maybe like 10 years contract but Montreal won't do that.

Saintpatrick*

Spot on. If this organization doesn't give him long term and big money it will be a huge mistake long term. He's a franchise d man and should be paid as such

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Well as frustrating as it is to see Subban benched.. Can't hurt contract negociations in management's favor

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Not starting anything I'm just asking

If you check this board I come in here a few to max a year and ask player questions

No one knows your organization like u do

If someone at the top doesn't like PK, it's ego. Maybe it was goat?Gainey? Both are goner so that settles that.

Perhaps Montreal has received good offers for PK. At the end, I just hope he signs here.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
highly doubt hometown with newport. longer term? maybe like 10 years contract but Montreal won't do that.

There is no such thing now as a 10 year contract.

You keep saying Subban is risky. Care to quantify that?

IMO, the only risk is to alienate him with a lowball offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad