Salary Cap: Prediction: PK Subban's Next Contract

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Just like we love to have Claude Giroux or Vincent Lecavalier and Dany Briere 7 years ago.

The Toronto media bashes Subban because:
1. He's Toronto native playing for arch rival Montreal.
2. He's black and is a minority.
3. He's a risky player.

Why do you make up stuff like that? Maybe item 1 and 3 has some merit but there is no indication of any kind that they bash him because he is black. Do they bash the Toronto Raptors because they are black ... no. Do they bash Kadri because he is an ethnic minority ... no.

Posting made up items like that just promotes ignorance.

Last edited:

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
7 years $53.2M

$7.6 a year....get it done!!

That would make the top five dman cap hits next year:

1. Weber $7.857M
2. Subban $7.600M
3. Suter $7.538M
4. Letang $7.250M
5. Campbell $7.142M

I'm sure with signing bonuses and such the two sides could make this work

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Does anyone have an idea of what Marc Bergervin will do with PK Subban's situation?

-Newport Don Meehan represents PK Subban. (not good)
-Subban is our #1 defenseman.
-Subban's dad is a long time Hab fan.
-Subban is an offensive threat every time he's on ice but is a risky player.
-Subban is a top 10 NHL defenseman and Norris Trophy winner.

I'm guessing that Bergervin and Meehan will play Russian roulette and see who gives in. Meehan is a tough agent and has been around for 30 years. Meehan also represents Andrei Markov! Both Markov and Subban are free agents and will cash in. With the salary cap going up I think Subban will get at least $8 million. Is Subban better than Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty?

Here are some options for Bergervin:

Option 1: Resign Subban long term $8 million for 7 years.

Option 2: Resign Markov $5 million 3 years. Let Subban hold out like 2013.

Option 3: Trade Subban, resign Markov.

Edmonton might be interested in Subban and could work out a trade that involves Nail Yakupov, first round pick this year (Sam Reinhart or Aaron Ekblad) and other players or picks.

Yakupov reunits with Galchenyuk.
Reinhart 6'1" 190lbs (Right hand) could grow into our #1-2 center.
Ekblad 6'3" 210lbs (Right hand) has been compared to Alex Pietrangelo.

The ONLY option to consider should be the #1.

If Bergevin holds out on Subban again, I will have officially lost all of my remaining faith in this team's management. I mean, how stupid can you be..?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Why do you make up stuff like that? Maybe item 1 and 3 has some merit but there is no indication of any kind that they bash him because he is black. Do they bash the Toronto Raptors because they are black ... no. Do they bash Kadri because he is an ethnic minority ... no.

Posting made up items like that just promotes ignorance.

Sadly the world isn't as perfect as yours. There's still racial ignorance out there and I'm not making it up. I recall Subban given a hard time early in his career. Even in the media one reporter asked him is it because you're black that the players and coaches gave you a hard time. Racism still exists today.

We fans do it too. If you see a black person playing hockey you think, what's he doing there? If you see a white guy in basketball you think, he's probably not good. The Raptors during Colangelo had lots of white players and they went no where, until they let go of of Andrea Bargnani and made a black team that they started winning. Do you think there are many white players with the athletic ability like Lebron James or Kevin Durant? Do you think there are many black players like Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, Alex Ovechkin, Geno Malkin?

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Sadly the world isn't as perfect as yours. There's still racial ignorance out there and I'm not making it up. I recall Subban given a hard time early in his career. Even in the media one reporter asked him is it because you're black that the players and coaches gave you a hard time. Racism still exists today.

We fans do it too. If you see a black person playing hockey you think, what's he doing there? If you see a white guy in basketball you think, he's probably not good. The Raptors during Colangelo had lots of white players and they went no where, until they let go of of Andrea Bargnani and made a black team that they started winning. Do you think there are many white players with the athletic ability like Lebron James or Kevin Durant? Do you think there are many black players like Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, Alex Ovechkin, Geno Malkin?

What on earth are you babbling about. It's 2014 not 1954, and I don't think "what is he doing here" at all. Rational people don't think that either, and for a basketball reference, ask Mike Krzyzewski if he thinks white basketball players are no good, or Steve Nash when he was MVP, or Dirk Nowitzski (who beat LeBron in the finals), or Pau Gasol, or Kevin Love, or Larry Bird, or John Stockton ... and on, and on.

As for the Raptors, last year in 2012-13 when losing the Raptors had four white players: AB, AG, LK (who didn't even play) and JV. This year in 2013-14 when winning, they still have four: GV, SN, TH, and JV and they all play ... and that is not counting LF who has a Caucasian mother.

As for bashing, the Toronto media no more bashes PK Subban about him being black than the Montreal HFBoards Hab's posters bash Nazem Kadri because he is a minority of Lebanese descent and speaks Arabic. They do it because they don't like the player's style of play.

Racism may still exist, but it is not the reason the bashing happens in this case. Stop making baseless assumptions formed from your personal opinion and imagination when there is no fact of truth to support it.

Last edited:

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I truly believe that Subban will be run out of town, thanks to this managements obsession with fixing something that isn't broken. There's only so much the guy can smile before he flips inside.

His next contract will be $54mil over 7 years with the Flyers or someone, Montreal will just hope they can get someone back like Claude Giroux who fits the profile/character expectations of Bergevin & Therrien.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I truly believe that Subban will be run out of town, thanks to this managements obsession with fixing something that isn't broken. There's only so much the guy can smile before he flips inside.

His next contract will be $54mil over 7 years with the Flyers or someone, Montreal will just hope they can get someone back like Claude Giroux who fits the profile/character expectations of Bergevin & Therrien.

I would remove every single person in management and coaching before I even gave trading Subban a second thought if I were Geoff Molson. He has veto on trades and PK is a cash cow.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
"I'll be honest with you, Hamhuis and P.K. haven't got much of a chance. I mean the pairs are good." - Babcock.

How do you chose Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Jay Bouwmeester with Alex Pietrangelo over Norris Winner PK Subban?

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
"I'll be honest with you, Hamhuis and P.K. haven't got much of a chance. I mean the pairs are good." - Babcock.

How do you chose Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Jay Bouwmeester with Alex Pietrangelo over Norris Winner PK Subban?

None.

The only positive about Subban being scratched is that he'll still win a medal, wille come back pumped the **** up and will finish the season strong.

I hope we beat Detroit in the PO.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I would remove every single person in management and coaching before I even gave trading Subban a second thought if I were Geoff Molson. He has veto on trades and PK is a cash cow.

I agree. But because he'll be the indisputable best defenseman in the league. The cash will follow as a secondary benefit.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He will get his money.

Bergevin has signed Price and Pacioretty to long term contracts at solid money - especially Pacioretty.

Bergvin knows that he has an incredible asset in PK and will tie him up long term at big money. My guess would be in the 7.6 Million-8 Million per season over 7 years type of deal.

Subban wants to play in Montreal, he's earned his big raise, and Bergvin will give it to him.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
So he should get more than Weber, Doughty, Bouwmeester, Suter, Chara.
He should get 20+% more than Pietrangelo, Keith and Karlsson.

According to many on this board, PK should be paid more than any D-men in the league.
And this is because...
  1. SCap is going up;
  2. SCap is going to be a little bit more than in 2012;
  3. PK has won the Norris and will be nominated this year;
  4. PK is already the best D-men in the league and should be paid accordingly;
Regarding the Norris, I would say it will be between Keith and Karlsson and most likely Karlsson will win.
Subban should not even be in the top-5. Probably in the top-10...

He is a very good d-men but there are a few in the pipeline that are younger than him:
  • Jones;
  • Murray;
  • OEL;
  • Pietrangelo.

So should PK get 8M and be the best paid d-men in the league?

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I am sure that before the week is finished, we will see someone saying we should pay PK 11M X 8...

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
So all those coaches in Sochi are racists?

Did I say anything to deserve that remark? Not every dinosaur is a racist.

I could comment on intellectual disconnection and micro-penises but that would be irrelevant and out of context.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
So he should get more than Weber, Doughty, Bouwmeester, Suter, Chara.
He should get 20+% more than Pietrangelo, Keith and Karlsson.

According to many on this board, PK should be paid more than any D-men in the league.
And this is because...
  1. SCap is going up;
  2. SCap is going to be a little bit more than in 2012;
  3. PK has won the Norris and will be nominated this year;
  4. PK is already the best D-men in the league and should be paid accordingly;
Regarding the Norris, I would say it will be between Keith and Karlsson and most likely Karlsson will win.
Subban should not even be in the top-5. Probably in the top-10...

He is a very good d-men but there are a few in the pipeline that are younger than him:
  • Jones;
  • Murray;
  • OEL;
  • Pietrangelo.

So should PK get 8M and be the best paid d-men in the league?

Well for starters he's better than every defenseman you named aside from Doughty, Keith, Chara, Weber.

Second, do some research before writing a few paragraphs.

Keith, Weber, and Chara's contracts were made way before the new CBA. Those contracts were part of the reason for the new 7-8 year limit contracts. Would be nice to sign PK till he's 40 as to lower the cap hit, but you can't do this anymore.

He's earned his $8m paycheck.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Did I say anything to deserve that remark? Not every dinosaur is a racist.

I could comment on intellectual disconnection and micro-penises but that would be irrelevant and out of context.
Well your claim is pretty high: Subban will be the undisputable best D-men in the league.
There are older D-men who can claim to be better than PK.
There are also younger d-men who are pretty good.

So basically, if the future undisputed best d-men in the league is kept off the roster, there must be some problems with the coaching staff in Sochi.

They are either dumb, racists or something else of that nature.
The other choice: Subban is not top-6 in team Canada and your projection will happen later in time.

But I do understand your reluctance to follow on your logic..

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Well for starters he's better than every defenseman you named aside from Doughty, Keith, Chara, Weber.

Second, do some research before writing a few paragraphs.

Keith, Weber, and Chara's contracts were made way before the new CBA. Those contracts were part of the reason for the new 7-8 year limit contracts. Would be nice to sign PK till he's 40 as to lower the cap hit, but you can't do this anymore.

He's earned his $8m paycheck.
Do not worry, before the end of the week we are going to see many claiming he earned his 11M.

After all, Suter is going to make 80M in the 8 years of his contract.
If Suter gets 10M then PK should get 11M.
Didn't you say that PK is better than him?

About the research part, that is a bit arrogant.
Do you really think I have no clue about the new and old CBA?
I am just trying to point out the unlimited funds available to those arm chair GM who know more the CBA that MB.:shakehead
Cap was 64.3 in 2011-12 and will be about 70M in 2014-15.
That's about 10% more.

We have no clue on how the new salary structure will unfold.
We know that Phaneuf got 7M as a UFA.
We also know that Pietrangelo got 6.5M.
But Franson got 2M, Fistric and Gilbert at 900K...
Marleau went from 6.9M to 6.6M. Thornton from 7M to 6.75M.

Also seems that every one forget that PK is RFA, not UFA.

PK is a great d-men but he is not a top-6 in team Canada.
I would pretend that the evaluation of their coaching staff is better than yours.:)
So, you are probably wrong in stating that PK is the 5th best d-men in the league.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well your claim is pretty high: Subban will be the undisputable best D-men in the league.
There are older D-men who can claim to be better than PK.
There are also younger d-men who are pretty good.

So basically, if the future undisputed best d-men in the league is kept off the roster, there must be some problems with the coaching staff in Sochi.

They are either dumb, racists or something else of that nature.
The other choice: Subban is not top-6 in team Canada and your projection will happen later in time.

But I do understand your reluctance to follow on your logic..

I believe that Subban can eventually become the best Dman in the league. You can agree or disagree. My point was regarding his being traded by the Habs.

To bring up Sochi is irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad