Salary Cap: Prediction: PK Subban's Next Contract

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So he should get more than Weber, Doughty, Bouwmeester, Suter, Chara.
He should get 20+% more than Pietrangelo, Keith and Karlsson.

According to many on this board, PK should be paid more than any D-men in the league.
And this is because...
  1. SCap is going up;
  2. SCap is going to be a little bit more than in 2012;
  3. PK has won the Norris and will be nominated this year;
  4. PK is already the best D-men in the league and should be paid accordingly;
Regarding the Norris, I would say it will be between Keith and Karlsson and most likely Karlsson will win.
Subban should not even be in the top-5. Probably in the top-10...

He is a very good d-men but there are a few in the pipeline that are younger than him:
  • Jones;
  • Murray;
  • OEL;
  • Pietrangelo.

So should PK get 8M and be the best paid d-men in the league?
Yes.

His numbers are as good or better than anyone's and he's got the good fortune to be negotiating now that the cap is going up. So yes, he should be paid the most. Then in a couple of years some other blueliner will negotiate when the cap is up higher and they'll make more etc...

And I wouldn't be surprised to see him making more than 8 actually. Esp considering how we ripped him off last time around.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
The reason why PK will be the highest paid dman is because of this

So he should get more than Weber, Doughty, Bouwmeester, Suter, Chara.
He should get 20+% more than Pietrangelo, Keith and Karlsson.

According to many on this board, PK should be paid more than any D-men in the league.
And this is because...
  1. SCap is going up;
  2. SCap is going to be a little bit more than in 2012;
  3. PK has won the Norris and will be nominated this year;
  4. PK is already the best D-men in the league and should be paid accordingly;
Regarding the Norris, I would say it will be between Keith and Karlsson and most likely Karlsson will win.
Subban should not even be in the top-5. Probably in the top-10...

He is a very good d-men but there are a few in the pipeline that are younger than him:
  • Jones;
  • Murray;
  • OEL;
  • Pietrangelo.

So should PK get 8M and be the best paid d-men in the league?

It isn't about being the best, its about being the best available during this next lieu of contracts. That and some of the others have artificially low contracts because of the last CBA.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
"I'll be honest with you, Hamhuis and P.K. haven't got much of a chance. I mean the pairs are good." - Babcock.

How do you chose Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Jay Bouwmeester with Alex Pietrangelo over Norris Winner PK Subban?

He's obsessed with having an even amount of LH and RH d-men...which is dumb. High end players can play either side.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I would try and sell PK on the merits of leaving a bit of money on the table so they can build a team around him. Not that an extra 1 mil makes a huge difference, but PK will retire a very rich man one way or another.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
fair for both sides would be 8 years for 60 million. No need to be greedy, no need to short change your best player.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
What is Subban says **** you Therrien and Bergeron. Your treatment of me has created this ******** myth around my game and characater that's spread like wildfire throughout the league.

I'd rather sit out than sign with you ****ers.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I would say 8 years at $8.2M per year to make Subban happy and prices for players are going up.

Added note: In relooking at it after the Detroit game, I'll revise that number to $7M to $7M+ per year for 6 to 8 years.

Last edited:

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
7 years around $51 million - a little over $7 million per year.

2 RFA years @ $6 million = $12 million
5 UFA years @ $7.5 million = $37.5 million
Signing bonus - another $2 or $3 million

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
There's a lot I'm not happy about in his game. He's worth 6.75M$/y, but considering the cap and Phaneufs contract, he should look at 7-7.5M, more than that would be hard to justify.

AcadiaAxeMan

Mar 10, 2002
Grande Prairie, AB
Visit site
PK will get 8 million+ for as many years as he wants, say 8 @ 8.5 for 68 as thought by others, or north and 75 million (PK will be used by agents as the NEW poster Boy for the increased NHL revenues!)?. Markov IMHO is expendable, as his play from game 40+ this season don't match the first 40. He is very trade worthy to me, for an asset, at this years trade deadline to a real contender! We are "pretenders" at this point this season and next to anyone but a fool!

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
Sounds like everybody and their mama is playing the game of throwing the guy under the bus. Someone will pay and thats Mr.Molson.

72M/8 yrs

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I've been thinking about PK Subban. I think he's overrated. He's trying to impress Babcock or something this game. Took a silly penalty, Detroit scored. Then in overtime lazy man coverage in front of the net. He's never had over 38 points a season. I know he won the Norris Trophy and stuff. But is the guy worth $8 million a season for next 7 years?

What would teams give up if PK was available? Nathan MacKinnon? Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I've been thinking about PK Subban. I think he's overrated. He's trying to impress Babcock or something this game. Took a silly penalty, Detroit scored. Then in overtime lazy man coverage in front of the net. He's never had over 38 points a season. I know he won the Norris Trophy and stuff. But is the guy worth $8 million a season for next 7 years?

What would teams give up if PK was available? Nathan MacKinnon? Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?

I roll my eyes even BEFORE I read your posts. Pure garbage.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Therrien makes every one of his players look overrated.

Except Price of course.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Plekanec reading your post:
nr9dTbo.jpg

From The Couch

Jan 14, 2014
West PQ

i agree with you that he looked like he was trying too hard to impress Babcock last night.. but never had more than 38 points in a season? True, Although, he had 38 pts in 42 GP'd last season. So you're telling me if it wasn't a full season he wouldn't have exceeded 38? And not to mention he has 39 this year.

Are you serious about PK being worth MacKinnon or RNH? Please not be.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not necessarily what I'm hoping for but I think it will end up being something like 2-3 Yrs @ 6-6.5 M/yr, although PK might want to go year to year until he's UFA.

If Subban's agent insists on something like a 2 year contract I see that as the worst possible thing that could happen for the Habs. That would take Subban to UFA and if MB doesn't get a sense that Subban will sign long term you have some decisions to make. There's no way the Habs can afford to take a chance on Subban walking for nothing.

Hopefully Subban signs long term before next season to avoid any of this.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I am very big stats guy like many of you know and I have a model that produces salary projection taking into account the last 345 shifts.

Subban has unfortunately lost 20.756849 million dollars as a result of his last 2 games.

We have him now at 8 years @ 3.956542 million per.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If Subban's agent insists on something like a 2 year contract I see that as the worst possible thing that could happen for the Habs. That would take Subban to UFA and if MB doesn't get a sense that Subban will sign long term you have some decisions to make. There's no way the Habs can afford to take a chance on Subban walking for nothing.

Hopefully Subban signs long term before next season to avoid any of this.

Like I said, the scenario I described is not necessarily what I'm hoping for but, given what's transpired to date with the last contract negotiations and the "Therrien influence" since then, I expect PK to really hold Bergevin's "feet to the fire" in the next go around. PK will still be an RFA, but will be UFA in what? 2 years? 3? The "proving yourself" can go both ways. PK might have to prove he's worth keeping, but I would, if I'm PK, argue that Bergevin has to prove to PK that he wants to be part of the Habs long term. I think if Bergevin wants to sign PK long term, he's really going to have to "pay through the nose" as in 8M+ per year for like 8 years. Not sure Bergevin is going to be prepared to do that. In that case, both PK and Bergy might decide on a shorter 2-3 year contract at a lesser amount, say 6-6.5 per year and see how things shake down. Should be interesting in any event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad