Sens Shot Predicting the Opening Day Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I agree with part of the sarcastic sentiment, though I don’t think he’ll be our #1C, but if he is, it won’t be for long.

Hopefully Brown and Norris can get the keys to the car as productive centers. It would be fun to watch.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Opening day line-up:

Tkachuk - White - Dadonov
Stuetzle - Tierney - Batherson
Galchenyuk - L. Brown*- C.Brown
Paul - Anisimov - Watson

Chabot - Gudbranson
Brannstrom - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Brown

Murray
Hogberg

Extras: Reilly, *Norris, Formenton
Uber Squad: Balcers, Chlapik, Hailey, Zub, Jaros, Daccord.

If I understand correctly, as extras Norris and Formenton are also eligible to play in the AHL, while none of the taxi squad members are eligible to play in Belleville. Kinda sucks for Daccord, but a 3rd goalie is mandatory for all teams this season (whether in regular roster or taxi squad).

That means a prospect like Abramov is still able to play the in the AHL while being eligible for call-ups for one of the Extras. I am assuming there is no restriction to active AHL players in Belleville being called up (i.e. the team can choose to call someone up from Belleville as usual as opposed to the taxi squad if needed). I would not be surprised if players like Peca, Shaw, and Hailey are preferred types of players for the taxi squad so that the youngish prospects like Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik, et. al. can still play a competitive season in the AHL to continue development.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Every way I look at these lines I can’t find combo that

a) has a veteran to carry Stutzle or any other rookies

b) a good defensive start line

I think we see a line like

Stutzle Tierney Brown/Watson

where Paul/Watson take the high leveraged d-zone starts for Stutz.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Every way I look at these lines I can’t find combo that

a) has a veteran to carry Stutzle or any other rookies

b) a good defensive start line

I think we see a line like

Stutzle Tierney Brown/Watson

where Paul/Watson take the high leveraged d-zone starts for Stutz.

Anisimov would be good with Stu

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hadn't noticed this eqrlier, but Smith gave a couple hints to the lineup a few days ago,

Stuetzle will start on the wing but they expect to see him play at center as the season progresses

Chabot will start with Gudbranson

He mentioned White when asked about the center position as a guy they look at to have a bounce back season.

Had great things to say about L.Brown saying at some point it will click and he'll hit the ground running.

Will start Galchenyuk on the wing but expects him to play some games at centers if they run into injuries, also mentioned he was playing through a knee injury last year but is 100% now.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I hadn't noticed this eqrlier, but Smith gave a couple hints to the lineup a few days ago,

Stuetzle will start on the wing but they expect to see him play at center as the season progresses

Chabot will start with Gudbranson

He mentioned White when asked about the center position as a guy they look at to have a bounce back season.

Had great things to say about L.Brown saying at some point it will click and he'll hit the ground running.

Will start Galchenyuk on the wing but expects him to play some games at centers if they run into injuries, also mentioned he was playing through a knee injury last year but is 100% now.

All my questions answered in one post. Perfect, thank you.

DJ a smart man.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
There's now a pretty straightforward one-to-one, position-for-position match-up of last year vs this year:

Pageau out -> Stepan in
Anderson/Nilsson out -> Murray in
Duclair out -> Dadonov in
DeMelo out -> Gudbranson in
Namestnikov out -> Galchenyuk in

In addition, we have Watson, another Brown and Zub. There's also of course Stutzle.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hard to come up with harmonious lines, but here's a try:

Tkachuk - Stepan - Dadonov
Galchenyuk - Tierney - Batherson
Stutzle - White - C Brown
Paul - Anisimov - Watson
Chlapik, Balcers, etc.

Reactions: Crosside

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Tkachuk - Stepan - Dadanov
Stuetzle - Tierney - C Brown
Gally - Anisimov - Batherson
Paul - White - Watson

This is my guess on what DJ will do.

Batherson doesn't deserve to be in the top 6 yet, but I suspect he and C Brown will swap places often.

I think Stuetzle and Dadanov make a great pairing and I want to see them together.​

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Paul - White - Watson

Batherson doesn't deserve to be in the top 6 yet, but I suspect he and C Brown will swap places often.

I think Stuetzle and Dadanov make a great pairing and I want to see them together.​

With the Stepan acquisition....you have to see if either Brown or Norris are ready

I will not be surprised at all to see Arti clear waivers and spend his year on the taxi squad

Reactions: NB613

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
This is turning out to be quite a team.....I am impressed with all these moves the last couple of months. Can not wait too see some Sens hockey which has been tough to watch the last couple of years.

Reactions: Crosside

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Paul - White - Watson

I can’t see White not starting in a top 6 roll...

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Tkachuk-White-Brown (we know it works)

Stuetzle-Stepan-Dadonov
(Timmy can take draws on his strong side, and Stepan can focus on the D-Side of things. Timmy gets to play set up man to Daddy)

Galchenyuk-Brown-Batherson
(Brown gets the easier matchups, while having some offensive threats on either side)

Paul-Tierney-Watson
(4th line, but will likely end up with equal playing time as line 3. Will be used as shut down / energy line)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Stuetzle-Stepan-Dadonov
(Timmy can take draws on his strong side, and Stepan can focus on the D-Side of things. Timmy gets to play set up man to Daddy)

(Brown gets the easier matchups, while having some offensive threats on either side)

Paul-Tierney-Watson
(4th line, but will likely end up with equal playing time as line 3. Will be used as shut down / energy line)
I think Norris goes in over L brown at this point based on play last year. (If one of them is going in)

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

Stuetzle-Stepan-Dadonov

Paul-Tierney-Watson

This is pretty close to what I have I would just flip Tierney and Brown and probably worth adding that I think Norris and Brown will likely swap in and out until someone sticks. My reasoning being that I think DJ will not want to play Batherson with a rookie centre to start the season.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Guesses for lines, I think ice time will be spread fairly evenly, depth is a strength, top-end scoring is a weakness.

Tkachuck-Stepan-Batherson >Can be thrown out in any situation
Stuetzle-Norris-Dadonov >High offensive zone starts
Paul-White-Brown >High defensive zone starts, matchup line
Galcheniuk-Tierney-Watson >Bottom 6 more offensive line

Chabot-Gudbranson
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Brown

Murray
Hogberg

Taxi Squad/Injury callups:
Formenton-Brown-Balcers
Chlapik-Anisimov-Haley
Peca-Abramov

Reilly-Zub
Lajoie-Jaros

Daccord
Gustavsson

Lots of options for DJ, and so much time between when guys played last, could be many surprises at camp good and bad. Also probably some early injuries as guys ramp up quickly. Some legitimate depth is a nice step in the right direction. Hopefully the forwards can play with better structure and support the defence, which has some question marks.

Adding some power play guys in Dadonov, Gally, Stuetzle, Brown, Norris, Batherson, and Wolanind, Brannstrom on D will hopefully help.

PK needs to improve as well. Hopefully Gudbranson, J. Brown and Zub are positives, along with Stepan and Watson.

Can't wait for camp to start!

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I have had Norris as our 2nd best (NHL ready) prospect all year behind Stutz so I have to include him in my line-up:

Tkachuk-Norris-C. Brown <----- the "concern" with Norris playing against opponents top center is negated with Tkachuk and C. Brown.

Stuetzle- Stepan - Dadonov <----- This line will be deadly, Stepan will be more of a trigger center than a playmaker with Stuetzle leading the way.

Galchenyuk- White- Batherson <--- Not completely sold on Batherson at the NHL level, but he will get a chance to move up if he contributes.

Paul- Tierney/L. Brown - Watson/ Tierney
ex. Anisimov <---- We have a ton of depth, but I would like to see L. Brown given a chance to alternate with White rather than be scratched or returned to Belleville.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm a little concerned there's virtually no room up front for Logan Brown or Josh Norris. Heck, even Formenton. You can make the argument they COULD use another season in the AHL, but I think all 3 are ready for the big leagues. Hope they each see a good amount of games despite us having a glut of forwards here.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm a little concerned there's virtually no room up front for Logan Brown or Josh Norris. Heck, even Formenton. You can make the argument they COULD use another season in the AHL, but I think all 3 are ready for the big leagues. Hope they each see a good amount of games despite us having a glut of forwards here.

I think if either of them prove they’re ready, Galchenyuk will be scratched pretty quickly.

Tkachuk - Tierney - Batherson
Stuetzle - Stepan - Dadonov
C.Brown - Norris - White
Paul - Paquette - Watson

Also wouldn’t surprise me if Tierney is moved out mid-season and Stepan is gone at the deadline, depending on our place in the standings and their development.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Well now how does this trade shake up our lineup predictions

I got this I got this, just give me...

5n61.gif

....a second, to think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events