Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Ottawa Senators: Predicting the Opening Day Lineup

1st Line

Brady Tkachuk-Chris Tierney-Drake Batherson

With a shortage of high-end talent at the center position, Ottawa sticks with the known commodity in Tierney to start the season as the number one. D.J. Smith didn’t roll with a bonafide number one center last season, as he rolled his top 3 lines regularly, but as of this point, Tierney has the advantage. Producing 48 and 37 points respectively over the last two seasons, the former Shark adds some offensive flair to the top line.

While on the wings Ottawa boasts untapped potential, with Brady Tkachuk already asserting himself as one of the top young guns in the NHL. Tkachuk has enjoyed back to back 20+ goal seasons and he’s Ottawa’s star upfront. He was on pace to become the first player in NHL history to record 300+ hits and 300+ shots in a season, but ultimately due to Covid-19 that couldn’t come to fruition.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
We will have to wait to see what kind of secondary UFA that will land in OTT... but with what I see at the moment
**Note: I followed the standard draft order for the players on the OTT drafted in 2020

upload_2020-8-24_11-36-50.png

Reactions: gab6511

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think DJ wants to see who is gonna step up at C, and should give both Norris and Brown every opportunity to take a spot. Tierney likely gone within the next year.

Tkachuk-Norris-C. Brown
Duclair-L. Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Tierney-Ryan
Paul-White-Balcers

Extras: Chlapik, Hawryluk

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Boro
Wolanin-Zub

Extras: Reilly, Jaros

Nilsson
Hogberg

1st line: Tkachuk is basically a vet at this point and will build some good chemistry with his best friend Norris. Connor Brown completes the line, not a top liner but will be great for Norris to learn from.

2nd line: Scoring line. I think this org needs to figure something out with Logan Brown this year. His best chemistry is with Batherson and Duclair, so let him play with them. All 3 should be on the sens 1st PP unit.

3rd line: Tierney and Ryan have showed some good chemistry in the past, and would be good linemates for Formenton. DJ loves Forms so I think he's a lock for a bottom 6 spot. Tierney is a very underrated PK guy, and will be a great mentor for Formenton who looks like he could be the sens best PK guy for years to come.

4th line: White starts there but hopefully is groomed for the 3C spot after Tierney leaves. Balcers and Paul are both NHL players and should be playing in the NHL, whether in Ottawa or elsewhere.

Back end is really a crapshoot. I'd rather Brann start in the AHL but I think he had ton of time for physical growth this offseason and that was his biggest downside. He's just better than anyone not named Chabot, I think DJ pairs him with Boro to let him push his offensive game more. Wolanin could easily break out this year. Haven't seen enough of Zub to move him up higher. Zaitsev has gotta go after this year. And Hotsam Batcho is Hotsam Batcho.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think Tierney is going to get the defensive starts and matchups. I can’t see Brady pinned to him.

White’s going to get a chance to rebuild value , probably as 1-2C with Norris. I think Brown will be used to insulate White vs his traditional 3RW roll.

Brady Norris Ryan/Bath
Duclair White Brown
Form Tierney Ryan/Bath

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The players that start the season will not be the same players that end the season, there could be a number of changes by the trade deadline. This lineup is an attempt to again be a bottom dweller & get into the top 5 of the 2021 draft. I expect that Anisimov, Tierny, Hawryluk, Boro (if re-signed), Reilly & maybe Nilsson could all be moved by the trade deadline (TD).

Tkachuk - White - Ryan - two guys who can protect White
Duclair - Tierny - C. Brown - three guys with something to prove
Paul - Anisimov - Batherson - L. Brown replaces Anisimov after TD
Hawryluk - Chlapik - UFA/Sabourin

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly - Reilly should be gone by the TD
Boro - Jaros/Englund - if Boro is not re-signed than IMO Englund replaces him. Without Boro he's the only defenceman in the org that will drop the gloves & he plays a shutdown role.

Nilsson - Hogberg - could Nilsson also be traded?

Reactions: Cosmix

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Ottawa Senators: Predicting the Opening Day Lineup

1st Line

Brady Tkachuk-Chris Tierney-Drake Batherson

With a shortage of high-end talent at the center position, Ottawa sticks with the known commodity in Tierney to start the season as the number one. D.J. Smith didn’t roll with a bonafide number one center last season, as he rolled his top 3 lines regularly, but as of this point, Tierney has the advantage. Producing 48 and 37 points respectively over the last two seasons, the former Shark adds some offensive flair to the top line.

While on the wings Ottawa boasts untapped potential, with Brady Tkachuk already asserting himself as one of the top young guns in the NHL. Tkachuk has enjoyed back to back 20+ goal seasons and he’s Ottawa’s star upfront. He was on pace to become the first player in NHL history to record 300+ hits and 300+ shots in a season, but ultimately due to Covid-19 that couldn’t come to fruition.

Ottawa Senators fans, get excited!

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think DJ wants to see who is gonna step up at C, and should give both Norris and Brown every opportunity to take a spot. Tierney likely gone within the next year.

Tkachuk-Norris-C. Brown
Duclair-L. Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Tierney-Ryan
Paul-White-Balcers

Extras: Chlapik, Hawryluk

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Boro
Wolanin-Zub

Extras: Reilly, Jaros

Nilsson
Hogberg

1st line: Tkachuk is basically a vet at this point and will build some good chemistry with his best friend Norris. Connor Brown completes the line, not a top liner but will be great for Norris to learn from.

2nd line: Scoring line. I think this org needs to figure something out with Logan Brown this year. His best chemistry is with Batherson and Duclair, so let him play with them. All 3 should be on the sens 1st PP unit.

3rd line: Tierney and Ryan have showed some good chemistry in the past, and would be good linemates for Formenton. DJ loves Forms so I think he's a lock for a bottom 6 spot. Tierney is a very underrated PK guy, and will be a great mentor for Formenton who looks like he could be the sens best PK guy for years to come.

4th line: White starts there but hopefully is groomed for the 3C spot after Tierney leaves. Balcers and Paul are both NHL players and should be playing in the NHL, whether in Ottawa or elsewhere.

Back end is really a crapshoot. I'd rather Brann start in the AHL but I think he had ton of time for physical growth this offseason and that was his biggest downside. He's just better than anyone not named Chabot, I think DJ pairs him with Boro to let him push his offensive game more. Wolanin could easily break out this year. Haven't seen enough of Zub to move him up higher. Zaitsev has gotta go after this year. And Hotsam Batcho is Hotsam Batcho.

That could be our lineup at some point during the year, but I find it hard to believe that Smith would go with two rookies at center on the top two lines while you have two way more experienced and decent centres in White and Tierney on lines 3 and 4.

Not to mention guys like Batherson and Tkachuk have barely wet their beaks in the league so you are putting alot of inexperience on the top 2 lines.

Still early though, alot is going to change between now and opening day but I would be thrilled if Norris had the type of camp that puts him as our #1 centre to start the year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hard to talk about this before training camp. Have to see what happens at the draft... Wouldn't surprise me if 1 of the high picks is on the roster (expected as per Dorion) and if the Sens make a trade that would mix things up.

I hope they don't sign any UFAs. Let Ryan, Anisimov, Tierney, Brown, Zaitsev, etc be the vets. So many young players will need auditions, need roster spots open.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Not including unsigned UFAs (e.g. Boro) or 2020 draftees TBD:

Tkachuk-L. Brown-Batherson
Duclair-White-C. Brown
Formenton-Tierney-Ryan
Paul-Anisimov-Balcers

Extras: Hawryluk

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Brannstrom-Jaros

Extras: Reilly

Nilsson
Hogberg

Starting in the AHL until roster space becomes available: Norris, Chlapik

This looks to be a roster that will, in theory, finish bottom-5 again. I am excited to see the young guys starting their career in the NHL, I have faith in Logan and Brann to be much better than general HFSens' current projections of them.

Rebound candidate: A healthy Bobby Ryan (45-50 points)

Breakout candidates: Logan Brown, Brannstrom, Batherson, Hogberg, Formenton, Norris (when called up)

Last edited:
Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Keep Tierney nowhere near our offensive talent please. One of the young guys has to step in huge for that top C spot.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Tierney is going to get the defensive starts and matchups. I can’t see Brady pinned to him.

White’s going to get a chance to rebuild value , probably as 1-2C with Norris. I think Brown will be used to insulate White vs his traditional 3RW roll.

Brady Norris Ryan/Bath
Duclair White Brown
Form Tierney Ryan/Bath

If White starts slow at Center, he will be moved to wing quickly and down the lineup.

Reilly will play with the Senators instead of Borowiecki and Zub because he has a one-way contract versus Boro with no contract and Zub with a two-way contract. Zub will have to significantly outplay another D to earn a roster spot to get his NHL level salary. Brannstrom and Jaros face the same issue as Zub.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Keep Tierney nowhere near our offensive talent please. One of the young guys has to step in huge for that top C spot.

Tierney is our most experienced Center, other than Anisimov, and probably our best Center at this time. Playing him with our best forwards will likely increase his trade value at the TDL. Hopefully L. Brown and Norris will acclimatize to playing at the NHL level during the season and surpass Tierney and Anisimov, who will likely be traded before or at the TDL if there is interest by playoff bound teams. I don’t think playing with Tierney will harm our younger prospects.

Reactions: bert and NB613

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stutzel - White
Duclair - L. Brown - C. Brown
Balcers - Chlapik - Paul
Anisimov - Ryan

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Eugene Melnyck (cost savings)
Wolanin - Jaros

Nilsson
Hogburglar

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuk White Batherson
Dulcair L.Brown C.Brown
Formenton Tierny Ryan
Paul-Anisimov-Balcers

Chabot -Zaitsev
Wolanin Zub
Reilly Jaros

Nilsson/Hogberg

White is not and will never be a first line NHL Center. if it wasn’t for his NHL contract he might have played his way to Belleville last season. I think Tierney will play first line Center until he is traded near the TDL. Norris and/or L. Brown might get to play line 2 or 3 center next season.

Reactions: Sweatred

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Sens next year - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster
FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: Drake Batherson ($736,666) - Connor Brown ($3,500,000) - Rūdolfs Balcers ($2,000,000) - Bobby Ryan ($7,250,000)
Centre: Chris Tierney ($3,000,000) - Logan Brown ($863,333) - Colin White ($4,750,000) - Filip Chlapik ($1,100,000) - Artem Anisimov ($4,550,000)
Left wing: Brady Tkachuk ($925,000) - Anthony Duclair ($3,500,000) - Nicholas Paul ($1,100,000) - Jayce Hawryluk ($1,100,000)
DEFENSE (7)
Right: Artem Zub ($925,000) - Erik Brännström ($863,333) - Nikita Zaitsev ($4,500,000) - Christian Jaros ($800,000)
Left: Thomas Chabot ($8,000,000) - Christian Wolanin ($900,000) - Mark Borowiecki ($1,500,000)
GOALTENDER (2)
Anders Nilsson ($2,600,000) - Marcus Högberg ($700,000)
AHL BURIED (1)
Mike Reilly ($425,000)
BUYOUTS (1)
Dion Phaneuf ($1,354,167)
DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $61,817,499
Cap Space: $19,682,501

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad