Speculation: Predict who's being dealt before/during the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Christ, I just stopped in to give this thread a quick glance and it's as bizarre as walking into a room and getting slapped in the face by a pink *****. Overpay the fourth line. Trade cost controlled, promising prospects so we can sit in cap hell with overpaid veterans. It is possible to build a team to win now and for the future and you do it by paying your stars and mixing in cost certainty in the form of youngsters (assuming you draft well). Paying fourth liners $3m accomplishes none of this and leads to lottery picks, which in the world of this thread you have to trade for veterans to "win now."
:help:

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Jordan Eberle(6.000 m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($2.000m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Matt Fraser ($1.000m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Jared Knight ($0.760m)
Bobby Robins ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)/ Keith Yandle (5.200 m)
Torey Krug ($2.000m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
Joe Morrow ($0.863m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)

HanktheHammer*

Trade Subban in a package then draft Demko

I like that scenario, but the Bruins will be back to square one. Demko is the best of the young goalies and he will develop in college until he is NHL ready. I don't think Malcolm will ever play for the Bruins because Rask is installed as the franchise's number 1 goalie. Those racial tweets about his brother and Joel Ward don't help in him remaining as a Bruin.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Other. Milan Lucic. IMHO he is not worth his contract now and will be looking for a lot of money in 2016.

Have a listen/watch tonight at the draft, any winger who has a bit of size/skill/toughness will be compared to being "Lucic-like", in perspective, Ryan Callahan`s hit is 5.8 mill, who`d ya rather have?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I put Bart, McQuaid, and picks.

But someone astutely reminded us that Bart is an RFA...I guess you could trade his rights to negotiate?...who knows?...Anyway, he won't be traded. So scratch that.

I was thinking Spooner. But I don't think the Bruins will get their asking price, and will hold.

So just McQuaid and a throw-in pick or something.

I was tempted to go with nothing will happen. ;)

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Reilly Smith ($2.000m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Matt Fraser ($0.900m)
Chris Kelly ($3.00m)/ Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Bobby Robins ($0.600m)
Justin Florek/or/Craig Cunningham ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)/ Johnny Boychuk ($3,366,667m)
Torey Krug ($2.000m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
David Warsofsky ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Christ, I just stopped in to give this thread a quick glance and it's as bizarre as walking into a room and getting slapped in the face by a pink *****. Overpay the fourth line. Trade cost controlled, promising prospects so we can sit in cap hell with overpaid veterans. It is possible to build a team to win now and for the future and you do it by paying your stars and mixing in cost certainty in the form of youngsters (assuming you draft well). Paying fourth liners $3m accomplishes none of this and leads to lottery picks, which in the world of this thread you have to trade for veterans to "win now."
:help:

Our window is closing - poor drafts by Boston and strong ones from Buffalo, Florida, Detroit, Tampa, and even Montreal will before you know it have Boston taking a huge step back in their division. Need to win now the Sabres within 5 years will be the power team although we will still have the DVD's. Chia knows such is life in a Cap World.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

How soon we forget. It's called sign and trade

See Bartkowski, Matt, who the Flames wanted signed before they would take him in the now infamous Iginla trade debacle.

You can most certainly trade the player under those circumstances, not just his negotiating rights.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Could see the Bruins doing a sign and trade with Calgary for Bartkowski. The 54th pick might be too high, but would love to get the 64th pick.

I just think it'll be difficult to sell Kelly to someone. Maybe you try to package him in with Bartkowski and the 86th overall?

Proposed offer:

Matt Bartkowski *sign and trade
Chris Kelly
86th overall pick

for

64th overall pick
175th overall pick

Entices Calgary to take on Kelly's money by getting Bartkowski, and Bruins are able to move up a few spots in the 3rd round.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Our window is closing - poor drafts by Boston and strong ones from Buffalo, Florida, Detroit, Tampa, and even Montreal will before you know it have Boston taking a huge step back in their division. Need to win now the Sabres within 5 years will be the power team although we will still have the DVD's. Chia knows such is life in a Cap World.

Until those draft picks work out for Buffalo, nothing is a guarantee.

I do agree that we have to improve of drafting, however if Chia can continue to make trades to address certain areas and sign key UFA's, I don't see us dropping off as much as others think.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Could see the Bruins doing a sign and trade with Calgary for Bartkowski. The 54th pick might be too high, but would love to get the 64th pick.

I just think it'll be difficult to sell Kelly to someone. Maybe you try to package him in with Bartkowski and the 86th overall?

Proposed offer:

Matt Bartkowski *sign and trade
Chris Kelly
86th overall pick

for

64th overall pick
175th overall pick

Entices Calgary to take on Kelly's money by getting Bartkowski, and Bruins are able to move up a few spots in the 3rd round.

I don't think it will be difficult (IF the Bruins choose to) to sell Kelly to anyone (as long as they have cap space) but more difficult to sell that someone to Kelly.

I am adamant that a NTC does not mean a player can not be traded. It has more to do with a player controlling his destination.

I can go on a long detailed explanation on how you can include a player in the trade process to work out a trade while at the same time forcing him to accept a trade, but that would take to long and bore most of you.

Think unconditional waivers, also known as $125 waivers which begins 12 days before the season starts.

sun2478

Nov 21, 2006
Have a listen/watch tonight at the draft, any winger who has a bit of size/skill/toughness will be compared to being "Lucic-like", in perspective, Ryan Callahan`s hit is 5.8 mill, who`d ya rather have?

In short, I don't believe he has given his all when needed most (the playoffs). His game the past four years is not the same as when he arrived in Boston.

I think it would be best to trade him now while people actually believe he's that good. And, with all the comps that will be credited to Lucic, now would be the time to deal him.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I don't think it will be difficult (IF the Bruins choose to) to sell Kelly to anyone (as long as they have cap space) but more difficult to sell that someone to Kelly.

Wow, a lot of bad GMs out there if it's not difficult to sell a 34 year old center getting $3m per in both cap hit and actual dollars, coming off back issues, who has produced more like a 4th liner since he signed the deal.

But your optimism gives me confidence, haha.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Wow, a lot of bad GMs out there if it's not difficult to sell a 34 year old center getting $3m per in both cap hit and actual dollars, coming off back issues, who has produced more like a 4th liner since he signed the deal.

But your optimism gives me confidence, haha.

less than 5% of your cap space to have a great assistant coach out on the ice and in the locker room? There's got to be some young clubs willing to invest in that. By ALL accounts Kelly is liked and respected by players and coaches, and brilliant about how to approach and understand the game.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA

In short, I don't believe he has given his all when needed most (the playoffs). His game the past four years is not the same as when he arrived in Boston.

I think it would be best to trade him now while people actually believe he's that good. And, with all the comps that will be credited to Lucic, now would be the time to deal him.

His last 4 years (statistically) have been the best 4 years of his career. He's taken some of the fighting out of his game that he had when he came in (because he's realized a bit of a different role), but by and large I think he's still the same player, just more polished offensively. I'm not saying the Lucic isn't overpaid for what he is (a 60-point power forward), but what he brings is such a rare breed in the NHL. He tends to disappear, but I think it is because there ARE ways of slowing his game down (especially with speedier teams) but he can bring that element where he can just take over games (See Game 7 against Toronto). You will never get equal value for him in return because whatever you get for him just won't be able to replace the unique skill set he has. And maybe its still a good skillset. But its probably something you can find elsewhere at a cheaper price. Just my 2 cents on that.

And to Dom, I understand where you are coming from with the NTC. 2 things: is there a team out there (fringing on the playoffs or competitive) that you could sell Kelly to that there would be value for him to go there? Or do you maybe try the Andy Ference route and say "Hey, there are a lot of young kids over there (in Calgary) that you could mentor and become a real leader of over there." Obviously it is a bit different, Ference was a UFA, but the point is kind of similar. Ference became a leader over in Edmonton, and he could easily do the same. I dunno, just food for thought.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

So what you're saying is that you are right and everyone else is wrong?

Good stuff :thumbu:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
less than 5% of your cap space to have a great assistant coach out on the ice and in the locker room? There's got to be some young clubs willing to invest in that. By ALL accounts Kelly is liked and respected by players and coaches, and brilliant about how to approach and understand the game.

If I'm a team with an internal cap? Yeah, that's too much. If I'm a team against the cap? That's too much.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
His last 4 years (statistically) have been the best 4 years of his career. He's taken some of the fighting out of his game that he had when he came in (because he's realized a bit of a different role), but by and large I think he's still the same player, just more polished offensively. I'm not saying the Lucic isn't overpaid for what he is (a 60-point power forward), but what he brings is such a rare breed in the NHL. He tends to disappear, but I think it is because there ARE ways of slowing his game down (especially with speedier teams) but he can bring that element where he can just take over games (See Game 7 against Toronto). You will never get equal value for him in return because whatever you get for him just won't be able to replace the unique skill set he has. And maybe its still a good skillset. But its probably something you can find elsewhere at a cheaper price. Just my 2 cents on that.

And to Dom, I understand where you are coming from with the NTC. 2 things: is there a team out there (fringing on the playoffs or competitive) that you could sell Kelly to that there would be value for him to go there? Or do you maybe try the Andy Ference route and say "Hey, there are a lot of young kids over there (in Calgary) that you could mentor and become a real leader of over there." Obviously it is a bit different, Ference was a UFA, but the point is kind of similar. Ference became a leader over in Edmonton, and he could easily do the same. I dunno, just food for thought.

I know for a fact option one is entirely possible. Option two would require the Bruins to basically force it down his throat. Either way, it would be Kelly's decision, not the team's. That's why he has a NTC

Edit: I may just have to type out the scenaros with me playing the GM and MTaylor playing the player with the NTC. But it's draft day and I'm kind of busy so we'll see

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I know for a fact option one is entirely possible. Option two would require the Bruins to basically force it down his throat. Either way, it would be Kelly's decision, not the team's. That's why he has a NTC

Edit: I may just have to type out the scenaros with me playing the GM and MTaylor playing the player with the NTC. But it's draft day and I'm kind of busy so we'll see

Haha, don't you dare try and flush me down conditional waivers so I end up in Edmonton.

sun2478

Nov 21, 2006
So what you're saying is that you are right and everyone else is wrong?

Good stuff :thumbu:

No, not at all. He's just not that good when he is needed most - specifically the playoffs. He's paid to be an elite talent he earned his current contract (imo a little high) and he does not play at that elite level throughout the playoffs.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA

Wouldn't be the first time a team has tried that. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Probably be Marchand, but really should be Kelly. Dude has a terrible deal, grossly overpaid, and is declining/getting hurt on the reg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille