Post-Game Talk: Predators lurking in Ottawa, Mon. 7:30 pm TSN

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
[MOD QDP]
From what I've heard, Ryan is "cordial" with everyone, but isn't really part of the group, hasn't been in the past, and doesn't care to be.

In recent years, the team has had two main "cliques", if that's what you want to call them.

The Karlsson group: Karlsson, Turris, Methot, Phaneuf, MacArthur, Thompson (these guys are mostly gone)
The Stone group: Stone, Ceci, Pageau, Wideman and now the young guys White and Tkachuk

In Ottawa "social" circles, these groups are fairly separate.

Ryan isn't part of either.
Oh weird. The guy who retreats to Idaho in the offseason doesn't socially interact with people. Who'd have thought?

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
[MOD QDP]
From what I've heard, Ryan is "cordial" with everyone, but isn't really part of the group, hasn't been in the past, and doesn't care to be.

In recent years, the team has had two main "cliques", if that's what you want to call them.

The Karlsson group: Karlsson, Turris, Methot, Phaneuf, MacArthur, Thompson (these guys are mostly gone)
The Stone group: Stone, Ceci, Pageau, Wideman and now the young guys White and Tkachuk

In Ottawa "social" circles, these groups are fairly separate.

Ryan isn't part of either.

I would much rather party with group 2.

Reactions: coladin

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Turris was pissed at the organization to not pay him more than Ryan. He explicitly brought up Ryan's contract when negotiation for the new contract, also mentioning the how a player like Ryan is paid so and so and the organization is not willing to pay him as much. if not more.

All in all, being frustrated by a not getting what he wanted, he did imply in a sense that this organization is stupid to over-pay washed up players like Ryan, but won't pay him, as being the teams #1 center.

Ryan on the other hand didn't liked Turris singling him out like that, and even going personal while negotiation for his new contract.

So, there has been bad blood ever since. Before the game I was going to mention to keep an eye open for some rough stuff between the two but I was at work and couldn't post that

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
After the game against Toronto in October a Leafs season ticket holder on the main board GDT predicted in all seriousness that Chabot would be the best defenseman in the league by the end of this season.

I laughed out loud when I read that post. I'm not laughing anymore.

Well shit, that's one hell of a prediction. Who is this nostradamus?

Reactions: CorrectOpinion

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Turris was pissed at the organization to not pay him more than Ryan. He explicitly brought up Ryan's contract when negotiation for the new contract, also mentioning the how a player like Ryan is paid so and so and the organization is not willing to pay him as much. if not more.

All in all, being frustrated by a not getting what he wanted, he did imply in a sense that this organization is stupid to over-pay washed up players like Ryan, but won't pay him, as being the teams #1 center.

Ryan on the other hand didn't liked Turris singling him out like that, and even going personal while negotiation for his new contract.

So, there has been bad blood ever since. Before the game I was going to mention to keep an eye open for some rough stuff between the two but I was at work and couldn't post that

This is juicy. Where did it come from?

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018

How would Ryan know what Turris said during his contract negotiations, which occur behind closed doors? Gonna need a source on this one, chief.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So if person is kind of lone wolf is problem now ? Hockey team is not family. Its a job. I am not close to anybody at my work. Never was, i guess never be. Just i have other interests in my life and family is one of them. And that does not meen our work, as a group, is worse because of that.
If you do your job well, then there's no problem. But if your performance review looked like Bobby Ryan's do you think you'd keep your job?

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
How would Ryan know what Turris said during his contract negotiations, which occur behind closed doors? Gonna need a source on this one, chief.

Aftermath of the failed negotiation can easily leak into the locker room. Turris might have shown a bit of his frustrations here and there, don't you think?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Not sure where any of this came from, it's all news to me

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So if person is kind of lone wolf is problem now ? Hockey team is not family. Its a job. I am not close to anybody at my work. Never was, i guess never be. Just i have other interests in my life and family is one of them. And that does not meen our work, as a group, is worse because of that.

Wrong. Hockey teams are like one big family, and spend a massive amount of time together over the course of a season. When you add in all the wives and kids and things that are done together as a group or groups, the dynamic is without a doubt like a big extended family.

But just like in real life, you dont have to like everyone in your family. You dont have to spend any extra time with them if you dont want to. But you still have to smile and get along when it counts.

Your regular job does not compare in any way, shape or form to the dynamics of a pro hockey team.

Your wife and all your coworkers wives aren't together all the time watching you guys at work, and bonding while your away on the road. Your after work friends aren't all mostly your coworkers either, I'm assuming.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure where any of this came from, it's all news to me

Not going to claim this is entirely 100% true, but I did hear this from a personal source. Something along those lines did open, but again it could be all rumors or completely false.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So Ryan need to party with some group to feel safe ?
I think he needs to do his job better. That Mark Stone/Cody Ceci group stay in Ottawa and train together during the summer. Drake Batherson trains with Sidney Crosby and Brad Marchand in Nova Scotia in the offseason. Bobby heads out to Idaho and sits around stuffing his face with pastries and liking racist tweets.

Which one do you prefer?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Ryan fighting Turris is a very Bobby thing to do. He goes out and picks a fight with a small, weak, non-fighter from the other team, and then Boucher can talk about how "Bobby is engaged" after the game. Buys him another 10 games of good ice time where he can fall down a lot and fan on passes before he has to show a moderate level effort again. Attaboy Bobby!
Guess you did not know that both players involved have had 6 fights each. Seems to me that they are on even playing field. But thats ok, coming from you its no surprise that you just like to argue and challenge anyone whom you think is an EM fan.....for the record. Not a fan of EM.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Shots fired by Bobby Ryan. I find it rich to hear it coming from him though. I was kidding in my other posts about how he picked the fight to "appear engaged", but to be honest, he's as big a problem as any team in the league has.

The day he's out of the locker room will be a great day for this team. Guy's a problem on and off the ice.
Guy is a problem off the ice???? What are you talking about. Name me one other player in this orginzation who pays out over $200k a year to host a box for sick kids. Nice try sour puss. The guy is not my beloved player of the team, but someone who supports our community like this is not a big problem. Come on Davey, do not let your hatred for our owner spill on to the good guys.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I think he needs to do his job better. That Mark Stone/Cody Ceci group stay in Ottawa and train together during the summer. Drake Batherson trains with Sidney Crosby and Brad Marchand in Nova Scotia in the offseason. Bobby heads out to Idaho and sits around stuffing his face with pastries and liking racist tweets.

Which one do you prefer?
Well, depends on pastries ;)
First of all nobody of us have no idea of how Bobby spends his time in Idaho.
Second. I understand, problem was he is not hanging with any of groups, not his offseason training ?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Guy is a problem off the ice???? What are you talking about. Name me one other player in this orginzation who pays out over $200k a year to host a box for sick kids. Nice try sour puss. The guy is not my beloved player of the team, but someone who supports our community like this is not a big problem. Come on Davey, do not let your hatred for our owner spill on to the good guys.

He could be a problem off the ice and still be great in the community, they aren't mutually exclusive. EK was a great ambassador for the team with his charity work, but if we're to believe what you posted he was also an off-ice problem last year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Lot of venom in here for Turris who was nothing but a good player and better person for the team and city. Admittedly I like that Bobby showed some fire for once, but the KT anger seems misplaced.

Sure but he’s not on the team anymore and slashed Bobby on the hands twice then interfered with him twice after that. He deserved a few punches in the head after that, regardless who he is and what he did here.

Reactions: Samsquanch

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sure but he’s not on the team anymore and slashed Bobby on the hands twice then interfered with him twice after that. He deserved a few punches in the head after that, regardless who he is and what he did here.

Maybe. Some of the posts in this thread take it a bit too far, imo. I still like Turris though, so what do I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad