TSN: Predators Exploring Possibilty of Moving a Center

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That Turris contract, lol. No chance anyone takes it, they should just buy him out.

One would think that with all the shitty contracts that have moved around the NHL over the years that people would understand that everyone is moveable... you just need to retain enough to make it worth it. Turris at 6m is likely a non-starter for most teams unless Nashville adds something to him... but start retaining and it gets interesting really fast.

Buying him out would cost 16m. Retaining 50% only costs 12m. And realistically they'd only need to retain 25-30% to make things get really interesting (4/4.5m).

Reactions: CanadianHawks

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Few interesting spots for Turris here imo. Detroit, Rangers, Minny, FLA all make sense with the aforementioned retainment of 1.5 per year

I always thought Minnesota made the most sense but no idea what they are doing. Detroit would be a great fit for him. Lots of minutes

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Turris is still a very capable center, he just doesn't fit with us anymore with Joey and Duchene as the 1-2 punch. Especially, at $4M he can provide value whether he's on the 2nd or the 3rd line.

In 2019-2020, Turris had a 1.980 points per 60 in all situations, and his closest comparables are:

Nico Hischier 2.011
Ryan Getzlaf 1.972
Gustav Nyquist 1.944
Jake Debrusk 1.939
Kevin Hayes 1.925
Cam Atkinson/Jakob Silfverberg 1.915

While a tad overpaid at $6M, he can still produce when given the chance. Give him top-6 minutes as a center and good PP time and he'll get you 50-55 points, I'm sure.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Even Turris at 4M is a stretch with 4 years left. He'll be 35 when it's done. No thanks.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Have to feel like the Panthers will at least call Poile a few times.

Their center depth has been traded off/disappointed over the past two years.

Barkov, Haula(UFA), Borgstrom(meh so far), Wallmark, Boyle(UFA).

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
One would think that with all the shitty contracts that have moved around the NHL over the years that people would understand that everyone is moveable... you just need to retain enough to make it worth it. Turris at 6m is likely a non-starter for most teams unless Nashville adds something to him... but start retaining and it gets interesting really fast.

Buying him out would cost 16m. Retaining 50% only costs 12m. And realistically they'd only need to retain 25-30% to make things get really interesting (4/4.5m).

I guess it depends on your impression of Turris, to me at 50% it's still a negative value asset.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Neal+Russell for Turris+Bonino

Bonino and Russell has been discussed before as well as Turris for Neal. Wanna just make this thing a party?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess it depends on your impression of Turris, to me at 50% it's still a negative value asset.
Then you don't really know anything about how he has played or the situation he faced the last 2 seasons. He's not damaged goods, he's just a guy who lost his spot because Poile went and got Duchene and Lavi didn't like him for whatever reason ( it seemed to have started the year before when he was injured).

I'm not sure how much better of a Center you could get your hands on for 3 million a season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tortorella was complaining about Johansen and his work ethic long before he was traded. Some thought he was a crazy, out of touch coach that would be out of the league soon. Subsequent events have proven him correct.

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Doubt it. Odds are if Poile is offloading Bonino he is going to be looking for a pick or a young asset with similar value. Based on Poile's comments he is looking to get younger.
That's fair. Just curious if we could swap some problems and fill some needs in the process.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That's fair. Just curious if we could swap some problems and fill some needs in the process.
I think in a world where we weren't dealing with the post Covid world lots of things could have been looked at.

As I posted on the Preds boards when you are looking at deals it kind of comes down to two things:

1. Does it make the Preds younger
Or
2. Does it save us money

If neither happens in the deal I'd say it's pretty unlikely.

The one exception is if it balances the team and Poile is still kind of trying to push in the playoffs, but I gotta tell you based on some of his comments I'm kind of iffy as to whether or not he is even worried about the playoffs.

When you are pushing Sissons as an example of a guy you think could push up to the second line you either have a whole lot of hope, or not a ton of expectations for the year. The question is which one is it.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Considering Minnesota has nothing at Center, I think they should seriously consider Duchene. He seems to play well when he is the #1 center and getting a ton of ice time. Otherwise, he is just ok.

I know Minny is dangling Donato and he is a player Nashville may have some interest in, especially since they are letting C.Smith and Granlund go in free agency. That's them losing 2 top 9 wingers.

I'm curious if those 2 teams can do something around Duchene plus pick/prospect for Donato and someone like Greenway. I think Greenway will fit in very well in Nashville with his style of play.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They aren’t doing this. Jumping off a bridge is a better offer than paying Ryan Johansen 4m for 5 years to play for the Rangers and losing the 11th and 37th pick for some ungodly reason to get Ryan “Nope, I’m not remotely a 1C either” Strome on their team.

fair enough.
there is a dif dynamic to the valuation and for the record, never said anywhere Strome is a 1C; he is a solid 2C. Disregarded Buch who was prev linked in some Yardbarker forum a month-ish ago as part of my offer.

RyJo less likely to be moved than others, incl Turris.

But Preds do need to consider a change, and while getting real value for Turris would be ideal, that is a worse $ and term, tho acknowledged RyJo is the better player.

What it boils down to is how much maneuverability does team need to improve and deal w/flat cap, and how extreme does it need to consider options on largest contracts.

Something around Duchene to Habs is easily seen, esp if involved includes Danault, although he will also want to get paid.
But Duke not likely going anywhere that leaves

Turris - pay to take him away
and
RyJo - has legit value, but few can absorb him at a full 8 per and fewer still will pay for him w/less expensive assets

As I said, Preds have plenty of other options so agree this is a non starter
Did not mean to inflame any one with this, just commenting on to what extent NYR might bite on a Pred pivot, but wanted to announce clearly NY is not trading Kakko, Krav, Nils L, etc for RyJo w/retention.

peace out

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Considering Minnesota has nothing at Center, I think they should seriously consider Duchene. He seems to play well when he is the #1 center and getting a ton of ice time. Otherwise, he is just ok.

I know Minny is dangling Donato and he is a player Nashville may have some interest in, especially since they are letting C.Smith and Granlund go in free agency. That's them losing 2 top 9 wingers.

I'm curious if those 2 teams can do something around Duchene plus pick/prospect for Donato and someone like Greenway. I think Greenway will fit in very well in Nashville with his style of play.

I don't know why Nashville would do that. Duchene should probably be the one they keep. Even still, 6 years at 8M is a lot for a 29-going-on-30 year old Duchene.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I don't know why Nashville would do that. Duchene should probably be the one they keep. Even still, 6 years at 8M is a lot for a 29-going-on-30 year old Duchene.

I mean thats the problem with Duchene in Nashville: he really did not fit in well there. He has done well as a 1st line center in Colorado and Ottawa. Once you drop his ice time and make him play on the 2nd line, he is not the same player. Definitely not worth the contract at that point.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean thats the problem with Duchene in Nashville: he really did not fit in well there. He has done well as a 1st line center in Colorado and Ottawa. Once you drop his ice time and make him play on the 2nd line, he is not the same player. Definitely not worth the contract at that point.
It's part of why the Preds just need to sit back and take a fresh try at it all with the new coach in place. They started with Forsberg-Duchene-Granlund and that looked like it just might work. But then Laviolette was kind of flailing around looking for solutions and trying to get everybody going, and his job was on the line and didn't have the patience to ride out any rough stretches. And then when Hynes came in it was so late in the game that the team was under a lot of pressure to get into the playoffs, so again, relatively little time to be patient with things.

This should be a "don't panic" situation. They've got 4 pretty good centers, they shouldn't be panic dumping any of them. If a reasonable hockey trade is there, fine. If not, just take another more measured look at it next season.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Per Seravalli:

What would preds fans be looking for and whose likely on the move?
Trade Bait: Frozen cap makes ‘franchise-changing’ players available - TSN.ca

Seriously though, who would want any of these overpaid, and underproducing C's?

RJ 8mill cap hit x5 (career high 71pts, 36 last year)
MD 8mill cap hit x6 (career high 70pts, 42 last year)
KT 6mill cap hit x4 (career high 64pts, 31 last year)
NB 4.1Mill cap hit x1 (career high 49pts, 35 last year)

so NB is the most likely to move, at least he's producing as expected, but, at 4.1 million, you should hope for better than 3rd line numbers.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm not sure what the Preds stance on Bonino is, but if he could be had for close to free, I'd be interested as a Wings fan

Intent is to overplay him so his counting stats are bloated and flip him at TDL

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Outside Bonino our centers are underperforming. Their trade values are not that high, but as the article says, the lack of available centers may end up being a leverage that brings them up.
I'm not sure what the Preds stance on Bonino is, but if he could be had for close to free, I'd be interested as a Wings fan

Intent is to overplay him so his counting stats are bloated and flip him at TDL
Perfect 3C who can step in for 2C role in case of injuries. He's playing very responsible and safe game in the offensive zone and would have tools to chip in some more points than he has so far in his career. Wouldn't feel comfortable with him as 2C, but with that intention it doesn't matter I guess. One of the bright spots last season and I hope we keep him.

Turris @ 4.5 million for Yandle?

Turris has an extra year so to compensate Nashville retains 1.5 million.

If we're trading for or signing a left handed dman it'd be for the 3rd pair. Caphit of 4.5M and widely criticized defensive abilities makes him a bad fit there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad