TSN: Predators Exploring Possibilty of Moving a Center

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would have to presume Minnesota will be jumping all over this

With retention, maybe. None of Nashville's centers are worth as much money for as long as they're making it (except Bonino who we don't really need).

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia
Total no on Duchene. Not a fit in multiple areas.

RyJo not a true fit but workable at half.
We could use NY $ and flip him when the financial environment improves post covid, or if/when opportunity strikes and injury forces a team to a move.

Just to be clear:
RyJo 5 years at 8 MUST be full retained to half.
NY can include both Strome and Buch which is gonna be ballpark that for next season, provide you w/2C regardless of if Turris traded or not, prob makes that easier to facilitate, and you still have a top 6 W.
Unfortunately, Hank has been bought out, cuz, would have been good for us to send him to you on expiring 4.5 which no one likes paying for insurance but Rinne is not a spring chicken either.
You would have to add to your 1st, Devils 2020 2nd almost does it if you add a 2021 2nd.

Spitballin, but somethin like that.

This is ridiculous.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What happened to Kyle Turris anyway?
Nothing really. You'd think something did if you only read here or looked at the stats, though. He was injured basically all of 2018-19 and then they gave his job away to Duchene in 2019-20 and he had nowhere to play. But he's the same player he has ever been.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I strongly suspect that after "exploring possibilities" the Preds are going to have all 4 of these players on their opening night roster in the coming season.

Only Bonino had a good year last year, but the rest aren't bad enough to sell low or dump per most of the offers in this thread. Preds will revisit things next summer. Maybe things will have changed, or maybe not much. But they need that extra data point on these guys rather than take hits on moving any of them.

Reactions: Armourboy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nothing really. You'd think something did if you only read here or looked at the stats, though. He was injured basically all of 2018-19 and then they gave his job away to Duchene in 2019-20 and he had nowhere to play. But he's the same player he has ever been.

Could it be those injuries have screwed him up?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Could it be those injuries have screwed him up?
No indication of that. Not via reports or just watching him on the ice. He broke bones in his foot, they healed. He had a rib injury, it healed. It wasn't like back or knees or those kinds of things. He LOOKS like the same player. He just lacks opportunity to play in the narrow niche that he can succeed in.

Reactions: Gh24 and Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Poile got greedy and signed Duchene. If you get Turris, you'll get a steal.
Where "steal" is a relative thing, of course. But if you get him for basically nothing or with salary retained *AND* put him in a role to succeed, then you'll get a better player than you are probably expecting. He'll get 50+ points in a #2C spot. But hardly anybody just wants that soft 50 points anymore. Not by itself. But still, if you've got that spot and get him for a song, might as well call it a steal. He's not some burned-out relic like most of the players discussed for buyouts and contract dumps.

Reactions: Armourboy

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
26mm at the C position and they are still lacking a star centre.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Where "steal" is a relative thing, of course. But if you get him for basically nothing or with salary retained *AND* put him in a role to succeed, then you'll get a better player than you are probably expecting. He'll get 50+ points in a #2C spot. But hardly anybody just wants that soft 50 points anymore. Not by itself. But still, if you've got that spot and get him for a song, might as well call it a steal. He's not some burned-out relic like most of the players discussed for buyouts and contract dumps.

I agree mostly. I think the team who put him on the 2nd line will get a motivated player who will get your team in 45 points in 75 games for a .6 pt/g rate. Put him with a goal scorer and a defensive forward. Sadly, with Nashville's system, he does not have a fit. If it was me:

Johansen (blow me away) -|
Duchense (blow me away)-| one of these guys go, all done trading.

Sissons is the #3

Bonino (I'm listening, I would like a low 1st)
Turris at 4.5 a year (No clue but 4.5 matches market value for the player. Researched via capfriendly's player filter)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think Duchene to the Rangers. He hasn't panned out.

Could get Strome back, and a 1st (22), and a prospect.

Duchy had a good run with Panarin in Columbus. That would load up the Rags top lines.

I get the sense with no fans, that Nashville is going to be a budget team this year, rebuild their core.
Interesting. But I don’t think the Rangers can afford him. Unless the Preds would retain like 30% and I’m sure they wouldn’t.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Total no on Duchene. Not a fit in multiple areas.

RyJo not a true fit but workable at half.
We could use NY $ and flip him when the financial environment improves post covid, or if/when opportunity strikes and injury forces a team to a move.

Just to be clear:
RyJo 5 years at 8 MUST be full retained to half.
NY can include both Strome and Buch which is gonna be ballpark that for next season, provide you w/2C regardless of if Turris traded or not, prob makes that easier to facilitate, and you still have a top 6 W.
Unfortunately, Hank has been bought out, cuz, would have been good for us to send him to you on expiring 4.5 which no one likes paying for insurance but Rinne is not a spring chicken either.
You would have to add to your 1st, Devils 2020 2nd almost does it if you add a 2021 2nd.

Spitballin, but somethin like that.

what in the world lmao

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I agree mostly. I think the team who put him on the 2nd line will get a motivated player who will get your team in 45 points in 75 games for a .6 pt/g rate. Put him with a goal scorer and a defensive forward. Sadly, with Nashville's system, he does not have a fit. If it was me:

Johansen (blow me away) -|
Duchense (blow me away)-| one of these guys go, all done trading.

Sissons is the #3

Bonino (I'm listening, I would like a low 1st)
Turris at 4.5 a year (No clue but 4.5 matches market value for the player. Researched via capfriendly's player filter)

The Avs have a need at 3C but a 1st is hard to justify for a third line player. Unfortunately the Avs don’t have a 2nd.

Additionally, it’s really confusing what the Preds are trying to do. Is this a reset or a rebuild in disguise?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Interesting. But I don’t think the Rangers can afford him. Unless the Preds would retain like 30% and I’m sure they wouldn’t.

We can't unless it is a full half. And while he is not a pure cap dump, we have no desire to take on a late 20s add w/term unless there is close to max retention so we can flip him later if we need to.

2 Fs mid 20s for 1 later 20s.
NY should not do a deal like this unless induced
and NAS shouldn't unless it does not have better offer and for some reason needs the cap.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Keep in mind in all of these deals I can't recall Poile ever retaining and in fact it seems he took a lesser deal on Subban just to keep from retaining. I'm not convinced he wouldn't just keep them if that is what is required or just buy out Turris.

Reactions: egelband

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I don't think Santini should hold anything up there. Do they need Fabbro getting reps on the 2nd pairing? Is he that good yet?

Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Fabbro. Some deal for a defenseman, would need to be lined up because we don't want 5 worthy of protection with the expansion draft coming up.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We can't unless it is a full half. And while he is not a pure cap dump, we have no desire to take on a late 20s add w/term unless there is close to max retention so we can flip him later if we need to.

2 Fs mid 20s for 1 later 20s.
NY should not do a deal like this unless induced
and NAS shouldn't unless it does not have better offer and for some reason needs the cap.
They aren’t doing this. Jumping off a bridge is a better offer than paying Ryan Johansen 4m for 5 years to play for the Rangers and losing the 11th and 37th pick for some ungodly reason to get Ryan “Nope, I’m not remotely a 1C either” Strome on their team.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
26mm at the C position and they are still lacking a star centre.

Poile went 0-3 on his big center acquisitions.

It is a shame how badly the Jones for Johansen trade played out. Johansen really looked like he was blossoming into a high end, borderline franchise center. I guess that leg injury he suffered in the Preds run to the SCF was really damaging and he has not been the same since. While Jones has gone the opposite way and is now maybe a top 15 player in the entire NHL and will win a Norris within the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad