Pre-Season & Training Camp Thread

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Tolvanen needs game time on North American ice. He has the skills but his frames of reference are slightly off from the larger ice.

I don't think this can be understated based on his style of play. If he's used to setting up for one-timers and other quick release shots, he needs to adjust his angles and learn how to create space on the smaller ice. Seems very similar to the adaptation that goalies have to make when moving to the smaller ice (readjusting their coverage angles, etc.). This would be less of an issue if he was the type of player that possessed the puck and created his own chances, but I don't think we've seen that yet.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
In a vacuum, I'd trade Ellis for a signed Nylander right away. The kid has had two 61pt seasons in NHL so far. Tolvanen hasn't even had a single full NHL season yet (yes yes, he's younger, but proven vs. unproven). You could use Tolvanen to find a top4 replacement. Even if it was an older player, all we need is a stopgap until Fabbro is ready. Stanley Cups has been won without having the best top4 and Josi is known to make worse players look good, so we'd still be fine defensively, but we'd also have another 1st line forward playing in our top6.
JOFA
Fiala - Turris - Nylander

Considering everything else outside pure value and that we are not going to get a signed Nylander with Ellis alone, I don't think it's gonna happen. Fun idea tho.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Would you do Ellis for Nylander?

No, because I don't think Nylander addressees our biggest weakness which is size and net-front presence on the 2nd line. Also would much prefer to add without subtracting if possible. I think we have enough to get an upgrade at forward at least as a rental. Anders Lee of the Islanders would be a perfect fit IMO, and could probably be had for a 1st and a small plus. I understand we need to restock the prospect pool, but we have a pick in every round this year plus an extra fourth and all of our picks next year so moving one or two for a better chance at the cup seems to be within reason.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tolvanen needs game time on North American ice. He has the skills but his frames of reference are slightly off from the larger ice.
So I will just go ahead and point out that Tolvanen played 2 years in the USHL prior to the KHL. It's not like North American ice is some kind of magical new thing for him.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
So I will just go ahead and point out that Tolvanen played 2 years in the USHL prior to the KHL. It's not like North American ice is some kind of magical new thing for him.

That's like drawing a comparison for a guy who played highschool football vs. NFL. Just such a monumental difference in talent there is almost no way to draw a parallel.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's like drawing a comparison for a guy who played highschool football vs. NFL. Just such a monumental difference in talent there is almost no way to draw a parallel.
Not sure what parallel you wanted to see drawn there. The point was made that "his frames of reference are off" from the bigger ice and that he needs to adjust to smaller ice. Well, that's doubtful because he has seen a ton of smaller ice in his career.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Of course, I think Mark Stone could be had without giving anyone from the top-4. The whole situation would be whole lot easier if Fabbro was ready for this year. This is the reason I would've liked to see Carrier get some minutes, in case we trade Ellis.

As of now, it looks like we're going with this lineup but after this season I could see us breaking up the top-4 for some scoring help. Unless a guy like Hartman shows that he can score 20 goals.

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Fiala - Turris - X
Tolvanen - Bonino - Smith
Hartman - Sissons - Jarnkrok
Watson

Ekholm - Subban
Josi - Fabbro
Hamhuis - Weber
Carrier, Irwin

That could be our lineup a year from now or even this year.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Not sure what parallel you wanted to see drawn there. The point was made that "his frames of reference are off" from the bigger ice and that he needs to adjust to smaller ice. Well, that's doubtful because he has seen a ton of smaller ice in his career.

I just don't think playing on small ice versus literal children has anyting in common with playing in the NHL. I think that he needs to adjust to the ice size based on the speed of the league. Having space and time is much easier when he has an extra 7.5ft on his side wall during the power play. I guess his reference points would be the same as what he learned growing up, but again jumping to smaller ice versus even faster players just sounds like a transition period would be needed.

Are you saying you don't think his transition has anything to do with ice size?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
That doesnt sound like pouting. I think he just needs, as 303 always says, for the game to slow down for him. I think(hope) he will get top line minutes in Milwaukee and learn quickly.
In a Finnish interview he did seem kinda pissed. He was asked how he feels about it and he answered "I can't say it on the TV but you can imagine how it feels".

Understandable, but he'll get over it.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
In a Finnish interview he did seem kinda pissed. He was asked how he feels about it and he answered "I can't say it on the TV but you can imagine how it feels".

Good. Use that anger, get better, and make the big team. It's what Forsberg did, and ultimately Fiala and now they're quality players. There is an adjustment period.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Pissed is good. Pissed is motivated. Pouting is bad. We will see if he plays like he is pissed or pouting. (Edit... I see Adz covered this as well)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad