Pre-Season & Training Camp Thread

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
looks like Tolvanen has been cut from camp and sounds like he is indeed going to the AHL

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If he sticks in the AHL and doesn't go back to the KHL, I'm fine with this move. Give him top-six time and let him round out his game. It helped Forsberg and it helped Fiala. It should help Tolvanen too.

If he bolts for the KHL, though, meaning he won't be back in Nashville at all this year, then I'll be a bit upset about it because I think he's valuable depth this season.

Reactions: predhead1

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
If he sticks in the AHL and doesn't go back to the KHL, I'm fine with this move. Give him top-six time and let him round out his game. It helped Forsberg and it helped Fiala. It should help Tolvanen too.

If he bolts for the KHL, though, meaning he won't be back in Nashville at all this year, then I'll be a bit upset about it because I think he's valuable depth this season.

I'm fine with it too, but is there no way to get him back from the KHL this season once he decides to go over?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He just needs to bite the bullet and get his time in the AHL. I've said it before but Forsberg and Fiala need to be in his ear explaining to him why and how this is needed.

I will say his game last night was his best yet in my opinion. He just doesn't look comfortable playing yet. We have time to be patient as long as he can be.

Reactions: SauceMyBiscuit

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
So I guess the fact that the Preds have announced the move to Milwaukee means that he has, at least for now, accepted the assignment??

If so, that is a positive sign, but I guess things could still change depending on how it goes in Milwaukee...

SauceMyBiscuit

Aug 22, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So I guess the fact that the Preds have announced the move to Milwaukee means that he has, at least for now, accepted the assignment??

If so, that is a positive sign, but I guess things could still change depending on how it goes in Milwaukee...

Supposedly his contract says that he must spend 10 games in Milwaukee before having the option to go to the KHL

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
This has probably already been discussed so I apologize but will Watson count toward the 23 man roster? If we carry 8 d-men again who are we guessing will be the 13 F's? Including Watson there are currently 16. Blackwell seems like an easy choice to send down. Please for the love of Barry Trotz don't carry Rinaldo with the big club. Who makes it between Freddy G and Grimaldi? I've haven't seen for myself but I've heard Grimaldi has had a great camp. I'm okay with him earning a spot out of camp but I think his leash should be extra short. Too small and not talented enough offensively.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
It's fairly shocking that not only did Tolvanen not make the roster and get a look at regular seasons games but he didn't even make the final cuts. I assume this was done because Preds brass knew they wouldn't be keeping him and they wanted to get him to the Ads training camp.

I don't think anyone saw this coming at the end of last season.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He just needs to bite the bullet and get his time in the AHL. I've said it before but Forsberg and Fiala need to be in his ear explaining to him why and how this is needed.

I will say his game last night was his best yet in my opinion. He just doesn't look comfortable playing yet. We have time to be patient as long as he can be.

Sounds like someone talked some sense into the kid and hes going to be smart and play the top line in Milwaukee while he adjusts to the small nice and the speed of the game. All he has to do is look at the career arcs of Forsberg and Fiala.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Rinaldo is going to make the team, isn't he?
And that's probably the biggest reason I'm against the Tolvanen demotion. Even Tolvanen in his most not-ready state brings more to the team than that guy ever could.

Kudos to Tolvanen if he's taking it well. I'd be on the first plane back to Helsinki and would not blame him one iota for doing the same. Or at least after 10 games if that's the clause.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And that's probably the biggest reason I'm against the Tolvanen demotion. Even Tolvanen in his most not-ready state brings more to the team than that guy ever could.

Kudos to Tolvanen if he's taking it well. I'd be on the first plane back to Helsinki and would not blame him one iota for doing the same. Or at least after 10 games if that's the clause.
I think that depends on what the coaches want from him and/or the third line. If they want him in the top 6 only and they don't feel like he is ready then he should go to Milwaukee.

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
Even at his worst Skillsy brought more to the table then McGratten.
I completely agree with you from a hockey point of view. My comment was focused on the humoristic component of the post, I tried to reflect that by adding a smiley but I guess that wasn‘t enough to avoid a missunderstandig.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Rough translation of that Yle interview King Weber posted above.

Yle reporter described Tolvanen to been really down on the interview after his AHL assignment.

"You never want to hear that kind of news. However that's where I'm heading now and hopefully I get to play a lot there and make it back to NHL as soon as possible."
"I'm really pissed. Everything worked out so well and now I've got a new start ahead."

Management didn't really explain the decision to Tolvanen
"They said that the team is full and I need to develop. Nashville has a really tough bunch of players and it's not an easy place to come and take a roster spot. It's probably one of the reasons and the team hasn't changed much from last season."

Nashville 1st round pick from a year ago arrived to the camp with high expectations. Tolvanen had a great season in KHL and the young forward invested whole summer to earn a roster spot already during the training camp.
"I was really hopeful and practiced whole summer for this, to be in shape to be able to play here."

Tolvanen cannot evaluate how the ongoing camp has gone for him
"Of course you do your best all the time when you hit the ice. Small details are always on the surface here"

The finnish forward thinks he would have been ready to start the season in Nashville
"I guess I would have had the chance to play [in NHL], even thought few pre-season games didn't go that well. Few games, however, went well and I was able to flash [my skills], even thought I got no points. That's probably one of the reasons that my season starts in AHL"

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Pretty typical of a guy who thought he had all of the answers and then got hit with a dose of reality. I'm sure they will talk to him though, it seems pretty clear that in the case of both Forsberg and Fiala there was lots of communication as to what they wanted them to do.

Really next year is the year there is probably a spot or two that opens. Pretty sure there are a couple of guys who will need contracts that I'm not sure we keep unless they take cheaper deals.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Pretty typical of a guy who thought he had all of the answers and then got hit with a dose of reality. I'm sure they will talk to him though, it seems pretty clear that in the case of both Forsberg and Fiala there was lots of communication as to what they wanted them to do.

Really next year is the year there is probably a spot or two that opens. Pretty sure there are a couple of guys who will need contracts that I'm not sure we keep unless they take cheaper deals.

The guy who are up next year are Hartman, Fiala, and Sissons, with Smith and Salomaki up the year after that.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey fellas, not too much of a shock that Tolvanen got sent down in my opinion, but I also count 11 forwards so it's Gaudreau and Rinaldo for 12 and 13? Gaudreau - Sissons - Salomäki 4th?

Anyway, I know it's in division, but best of luck on the season. I hope the team does well.
There aint no 'probably' about it. Finish is like reading dyslexia while on LSD.
Nah dude, it's easy. :sarcasm:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Hopefully he is more like Forsberg in Milwaukee than Fiala. It took Fiala several years to quit pouting about being in the minors and start putting the work in.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Hopefully he is more like Forsberg in Milwaukee than Fiala. It took Fiala several years to quit pouting about being in the minors and start putting the work in.

In actuality both Forsberg and Fiala became regular NHL players when they were 20. Fiala was just over here in the AHL longer than Forsberg because he came over at a younger age. Yes Fiala had an attitude for a but but I think it's overblown to act like it substantially stunted his progression.

I'll be just as happy if Tolvanen becomes an NHL regular at age 20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad