Pre-season thread

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Wonder how it would be handled if Monty told Nill he wanted to Hintz and Gurianov to make the team ? Find a trade for Ritchie if there's one and waive Ellie who probably won't be picked up ?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Hintz goal was a beauty. I'm at the game and so far the Stars do not look very good. Defensively they've been a mess. Heiskanen has looked good, but nothing really noteworthy. Some good offensive plays and some good defensive. A couple of mistakes as well but nothing that led to a good scoring chance and no costly mistakes. Everyday young player stuff like almost being caught out of position or a pass to a teammate that gets jammed and can't get out of the d-zone.

Gurianov and Dickinson have been very noticeable and good and have showed some chemistry. They've both had several good chances to score and have been so close. Gurianov had an assist on Lindell's PP goal too. Hintz as well has been noticeable and good. Tough decisions coming up for Monty.

Last edited:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Was talking with my buddy at the bar about this certain kind of depth we have (as in a bunch of top 9, not enough top 6) and this is the combo i came up with.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Hintz-Spezza-Radulov
Janmark-Faksa-Pitlick
Gurianov/Dickinson-Shore-Comeau

Gurianov sounds like he might be playing himself into a spot, which is huge. Smith and Elie would be the scratches if I’m not forgetting anyone. Ritchie gets waived.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Roope Hintz with a gorgeous drop pass to Radulov who sets up Benn. What a beauty

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Was talking with my buddy at the bar about this certain kind of depth we have (as in a bunch of top 9, not enough top 6) and this is the combo i came up with.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Hintz-Spezza-Radulov
Janmark-Faksa-Pitlick
Gurianov/Dickinson-Shore-Comeau

Gurianov sounds like he might be playing himself into a spot, which is huge. Smith and Elie would be the scratches if I’m not forgetting anyone. Ritchie gets waived.

You'd need to waive two guys since the maximum roster size is 23 . More than 14 forwards isn't going to happen with 7 defenseman and 2 goalies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Roope Hintz is a better and faster version of Devin Shore, and honestly he is easily NHL ready right now and could play anywhere in the lineup. His chances are probably much greater than Gurianov's

Last edited:

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
Having gone to all 3 of the home games thus far (including Tulsa), I've been impressed with both Hintz and Guryanov. Hintz has shown some great skill, and even when Guryanov isn't on a play that results in a goal, he's been aggressive on and off the puck. Both of these guys should be on the 4th line at the very least.

I must admit that I was among those of us worried about Guryanov's progress, especially when it was hard to watch him play, but whatever happened before, he has looked great during the preseason. Same with Hintz. His shot, speed, it all looks great. Gury looks more suited for a physical role on a good third line, with 2nd line power forward potential. Hintz also looks like he could have 2nd line potential.

Given how young they are and where they are in their development curve, I really hope the Stars give them every opportunity to play in the NHL this year. If the preseason is a litmus test to see how younger players fare against some NHL caliber players, both have passed with flying colors. They're starting to look like great picks.

I won't pretend to be some professional scout, and I wasn't taking notes at the games, but they were both extremely noticeable. If there are full game rebroadcasts, I'd be interested to check them out again and I can promise you that there were plenty of good things you could find in each game and very little to be upset about. I'll put it this way: Before the preseason started, if I could have asked for one thing to give me hope about the younger players, it was to see massive improvement from Nichushkin. He's been alright, not bad, but nothing that really grabs your attention for an entire game let alone over these few thus far. Hintz and Guryanov have been good enough that I don't even care about that at this point - I'm just thrilled to see some of our picks developing well. In tonight's game for example, I'd say the three stars were Radulov, Hintz, and Guryanov, and you can put them in whatever order you want. Lindell had pretty good argument there too.

This was one of those games where you hoped that the younger players would shine, and just like in really all of these games so far, they did. Granted, each opponent has kept major players off the ice, but just about everyone has played above expectations so far. As a Stars fan, I'm happy.

I just started getting my wife into watching games, so I figured preseason is a cheap and easy way to see a lot of hockey, have some fun, and teach her about the game. Lucky for me, the Stars have been putting on some pretty good shows so far, and I hope this momentum carries over into the regular season and we see much more of these younger guys. They've absolutely earned a spot. In my 20 years as a fan, I've never bought a player jersey or shirt, but we both ended up getting Radulov shirts tonight. He was my favorite player last year, and is my wife's favorite, so I had to take the plunge. Also finally broke down and bought a couple of hats for us with the new logos and everything. I've always been about the old logo hats and the Cup era jerseys, but I figure it's time to embrace the new era of Stars hockey. Hopefully Hintz and Guryanov are a big part of that!

Anyway, I realize this is all pretty cheesy and probably not full of useful information, but I figured I'd share and at least contribute something from firsthand experience. I have to say, I'm pretty excited and optimistic about this season!

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Notes from tonight's game:

Gurianov (1A) and Hintz (1G, 1A) shined bright.

Heiskanen led the Stars in ice time with 23 minutes but wasn't really too noticeable tonight in a good or bad way. Didn't give up anything defensively though and finished as a +1 with 3 SOG and generated a couple of scoring chances. He took a few heavy hits though, the Wild really seemed to go after him.

Dickinson looked very good again tonight. He's really reliable out there defensively and offensively he generated quite a few chances.

The Comeau-Faksa-Pitlick line is gonna be such a good shutdown line

The Janmark-Spezza-Nichushkin line wasn't noticeable at all other than Spezza's turnovers, but they weren't played all that much. You could tell Monty knows what to expect from that line and isn't exactly focused on them right now.

Also should mention that despite playing on the top line, Hintz only got 11 minutes of ice time tonight. 2nd lowest on the team but also got no PP or PK time so that's probably why. Good production for just 11 minutes though

Honestly I don't see how any of our 4th liners are worthy of a roster spot over Hintz other than because of experience

Reactions: chirrrs

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Having gone to all 3 of the home games thus far (including Tulsa), I've been impressed with both Hintz and Guryanov. Hintz has shown some great skill, and even when Guryanov isn't on a play that results in a goal, he's been aggressive on and off the puck. Both of these guys should be on the 4th line at the very least.

I must admit that I was among those of us worried about Guryanov's progress, especially when it was hard to watch him play, but whatever happened before, he has looked great during the preseason. Same with Hintz. His shot, speed, it all looks great. Gury looks more suited for a physical role on a good third line, with 2nd line power forward potential. Hintz also looks like he could have 2nd line potential.

Given how young they are and where they are in their development curve, I really hope the Stars give them every opportunity to play in the NHL this year. If the preseason is a litmus test to see how younger players fare against some NHL caliber players, both have passed with flying colors. They're starting to look like great picks.

I won't pretend to be some professional scout, and I wasn't taking notes at the games, but they were both extremely noticeable. If there are full game rebroadcasts, I'd be interested to check them out again and I can promise you that there were plenty of good things you could find in each game and very little to be upset about. I'll put it this way: Before the preseason started, if I could have asked for one thing to give me hope about the younger players, it was to see massive improvement from Nichushkin. He's been alright, not bad, but nothing that really grabs your attention for an entire game let alone over these few thus far. Hintz and Guryanov have been good enough that I don't even care about that at this point - I'm just thrilled to see some of our picks developing well. In tonight's game for example, I'd say the three stars were Radulov, Hintz, and Guryanov, and you can put them in whatever order you want. Lindell had pretty good argument there too.

This was one of those games where you hoped that the younger players would shine, and just like in really all of these games so far, they did. Granted, each opponent has kept major players off the ice, but just about everyone has played above expectations so far. As a Stars fan, I'm happy.

I just started getting my wife into watching games, so I figured preseason is a cheap and easy way to see a lot of hockey, have some fun, and teach her about the game. Lucky for me, the Stars have been putting on some pretty good shows so far, and I hope this momentum carries over into the regular season and we see much more of these younger guys. They've absolutely earned a spot. In my 20 years as a fan, I've never bought a player jersey or shirt, but we both ended up getting Radulov shirts tonight. He was my favorite player last year, and is my wife's favorite, so I had to take the plunge. Also finally broke down and bought a couple of hats for us with the new logos and everything. I've always been about the old logo hats and the Cup era jerseys, but I figure it's time to embrace the new era of Stars hockey. Hopefully Hintz and Guryanov are a big part of that!

Anyway, I realize this is all pretty cheesy and probably not full of useful information, but I figured I'd share and at least contribute something from firsthand experience. I have to say, I'm pretty excited and optimistic about this season!

I agree 100%. Gurianov has been playing like a Radulov 2.0...and that's a pretty amazing sight to see..he's crazy fast too. I feel he will be a call-up option this year, but he is showing Monty and co. How badly he wants to be up here and he deserves to be considered. As for Hintz, there should be nothing that keeps him from getting a roster spot. He's about as NHL ready as it gets. If they don't screw this up we could have one of the better 4th lines in the league

Reactions: Dynamite Time

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
I agree 100%. Gurianov has been playing like a Radulov 2.0...and that's a pretty amazing sight to see..he's crazy fast too. I feel he will be a call-up option this year, but he is showing Monty and co. How badly he wants to be up here and he deserves to be considered. As for Hintz, there should be nothing that keeps him from getting a roster spot. He's about as NHL ready as it gets. If they don't screw this up we could have one of the better 4th lines in the league

Exactly. Regardless of where Gury and Hintz play, teams will have to put some serious effort and focus into them, and maybe that added and improved depth opens things up for guys like Janmark, Faksa, Spezza, etc. to bring their play up a notch. If nothing else, we've got some bottom six guys with some skill and tenacity that can truly wear down the opposition while creating scoring opportunities on their own, and create favorable matchups for our top six.

Reactions: Kcb12345
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
The problem with putting a skilled, young, waiver-ineligible player on the 4th line is that they might not continue to develop nearly as well getting ~9 sheltered minutes a night when they could be in the AHL getting 20+ minutes a game in all situations. If Hintz or Gurianov won't be in the top 9, it might be smart to send them down and then, when a top 9 injury happens, call them up rather than promote a 4th liner to more ice time.

Alternatively, use them as a stick to beat Spezza with - either he plays well or he gets pressboxed and one of them takes his spot.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
We definitely need a 1B center to make this team a real contender
Considering Spezza on our second line is a joke
We all know Faksa's line filled the hole last season even thought they were on a defensive/checking line role first
His lack of speed and determination costs us too much

So do you think Montgomery will put in Faksa (or someone else but who) ...or our hands and feet are tied ?

Starsfansfromqc

Sep 8, 2018
I agree with you on this. I was kind of optimist about Spezza in the begining of the preseason. I realy think he could bounce back. But after couple of game I guess I was only hoping he will come back strong. Again it's only pre-season but he dont look like a guy who will have a come back season.

Nill should go hard on Matt Duchene. After losing Tavares and Karlsson earlier I think (at least I hope) Nill is working on something. Other way we are not contender again this year. We will battle for a playoff spot and thats it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So listening to the carcast. Shapiro said there's no way Gurianov makes the NHL roster at the beginning but should get callups this year. Said compared to the AHL playoffs he is vastly improved but he doesn't think its enough for the NHL just yet. Hintz in the other hand Shapiro said should be on the roster and playing on opening night.

He also said Elie or Smith should clear waivers . Ritchie probably wouldn't in his mind but you would find a trade for him . He was also very critical of Ritchie and said he had plenty of opportunities the last couple of years and just doesn't see how he deserves more again this year . Hasn't really done anything in camp either.

Shapiro was also worried about Johns health . ( Seguin is fine by the way ) . Might miss the start of the year. Could mean Polak or Heatherington see action with Honka early on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
So listening to the carcast. Shapiro said there's no way Gurianov makes the NHL roster at the beginning but should get callups this year. Said compared to the AHL playoffs he is vastly improved but he doesn't think its enough for the NHL just yet. Hintz in the other hand Shapiro said should be on the roster and playing on opening night.

He also said Elie or Smith should clear waivers . Ritchie probably wouldn't in his mind but you would find a trade for him . He was also very critical of Ritchie and said he had plenty of opportunities the last couple of years and just doesn't see how he deserves more again this year . Hasn't really done anything in camp either.

Shapiro was also worried about Johns health . ( Seguin is fine by the way ) . Might miss the start of the year. Could mean Polak or Heatherington see action with Honka early on.

If Johns is out early I hope they put Honkanen together as a second pair. But then we get Methot/Polak :pout:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm really liking Montgomery and his attitude towards the players and giving them more space to do things so far

"What I like is that everyone feels confident that they have the leash to make plays," Montgomery said. "We want them to make plays."

Outside of the top guys it felt like Hitch was basically telling everyone don't try anything or do anything that carries any slight risk . That also reflected on the scoreboard.

Starsfansfromqc

Sep 8, 2018
Hitch system's was very old hockey. The game change the last couple year's and Monty is by miles a better fit for this modern hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad