Low Effort GDT Pre season Sens vs Habs 3rd edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Kastelic and Sabourin probably. Brady probably but I don’t want Brady fighting scrubs unless absolutely necessary.

But that's beside the point. Its not about who can fight Xhekaj, its about what guys contribute to the roster. This is a guy for whom fighting is one of his main contributions and he basically sucks at fighting.

He’s a warrior, no doubt, and I appreciate what he ford got the team, but like most guys in his role it takes a toll and they don’t age well. He has served the Sens well and I will wish him happy trails in the offseason.

If he doesn’t want to risk a broken hand fighting Xhekaj, fair enough. Just finish your check and don’t oblige Xhekaj.

Saby gets smoked - he’s a brutal fighter …. Which is why he doesn’t fight .. especially X.

If you don’t have someone to keep him in check he’ll run who ever he wants (he’s injured 2 players). Watson is the best option we have -

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Again, you fail to see the point.

Oh I see you point but immediately dismiss it. you need an answer to teams heaviest players. Brady isn’t the answer , Saby isn’t an answer - so watson is the best you get. You don’t like it ? Give up something to get a better option.it’s not like X is the only player who will scrap or hit to hurt on montreal. You need a few answers.

It’s as instantly dismissed as those that want to play Stutzle or Norris as the match up 3C. It can’t happen.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Yeah, Saby and Watson are both brutal fighters. A legit heavy would be nice.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Saby gets smoked - he’s a brutal fighter …. Which is why he doesn’t fight .. especially X.

If you don’t have someone to keep him in check he’ll run who ever he wants (he’s injured 2 players). Watson is the best option we have -
What the heck are you talking about? Sabourin isn't a good fighter but he's definitely a willing combatant, he's fought heavys like Lucic, Reeves.

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Oh I see you point but immediately dismiss it. you need an answer to teams heaviest players. Brady isn’t the answer , Saby isn’t an answer - so watson is the best you get. You don’t like it ? Give up something to get a better option.it’s not like X is the only player who will scrap or hit to hurt on montreal. You need a few answers.

It’s as dismissive as those that want to play Stutzle or Norris as the match up 3C. It can’t happen.

Watson regularly gets dominated.

How does having him run out there and get his lights punched out help anything?

I agree we should give up something to get a better option. I still can’t believe Reaves only cost a 3rd.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Did he get his lights punched out tonight ? Did we watch the same fight ? Did X do anything after ?

He served his purpose - he ran MTL’s 2C and put X in the box for 5
Min. Mission accomplished - way more than anything Brady, Parker Kelly or Alex Formenton could have done to physically control the game.

Reactions: Berri UQAM

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Watson takes out goons for 5 min TOI +, I'm happy with that alone.
I don't know why people are so down on Watson, he hits, blocks shots and kills penalties, and is willing to stand up for teammates. He's not brutal defensively and chips in the odd goal. Not bad for a 12th fwd, sure I wish he'd win more fights but he's fine, I'd rather him than Sabourin even if Sabourin might be a slightly better fighter (he isn't, but for the sake of argument).

I think Kastelic will soon offer everything Watson does and make him expendable though.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Did he get his lights punched out tonight ? Did we watch the same fight ? Did X do anything after ?

He served his purpose - he ran MTL’s 2C and put X in the box for 5
Min. Mission accomplished - way more than anything Brady, Parker Kelly or Alex Formenton could have done to physically control the game.

What? Are you Watson’s relative or something?

I very clearly said the best he can do is a draw, I didnt say he got his lights punched out tonight. Go look at his fight card. 0 wins last year.

Did X do anything after? X started the fight in response to Watson’s hit. Watson didn’t fight to control the game.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What? Are you Watson’s relative or something?

I very clearly said the best he can do is a draw, I didnt say he got his lights punched out tonight. Go look at his fight card. 0 wins last year.

Did X do anything after? X started the fight in response to Watson’s hit. Watson didn’t fight to control the game.

No - I am not his relative . Did you think I was or were you trolling me?

Sorry - when did this happen? Are you talking about tonight ?

What Senator won a fight tonight ? Who won a fight last game ?

Beside Brady Watson is our best Fighter and most physical player - hopefully someone passes him soon (Kastelic, Klevin, Boucher).

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What the heck are you talking about? Sabourin isn't a good fighter but he's definitely a willing combatant, he's fought heavys like Lucic, Reeves.
You should reread my post - it’s about fighting X. How many preseason fights does Saby have vs heavy weights ? How may did he win?

Posters whining Watson didn’t win a fight in Gander - what has Saby done ?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
My biggest problem with Watson fights is not that he's bad at them, it's actually just that he's always willing when the other guy wants to. It's always a momentum shifting fight for the other team.

The guy doesn't know how to strategically draw 2 or 5 minutes like Neil knew how to.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
How many pre season fights does he have ? Who has he fought and had a better outcome than Watson would ?

Saby played vs X and avoided the fight . Saby is not an nhl fighter - he’s a guy who will get beaten up for league min.

Do you really think Saby is a better fighter than Watson ?
Sabourin is a much better fighter than Watson. Sabourin beat Lucic, there's no universe where Watson beats Lucic.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sabourin is a much better fighter than Watson. Sabourin beat Lucic, there's no universe where Watson beats Lucic.
All good - we disagree. If Saby was a better fighter than lucic (younger) he’d be in the league and have several impressive fighting wins. He also got KO’d in the nhl.

Lucic smoked him last year .

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Batherson has had a good showing in preseason. Looks a step quicker and definitely looks like he is out there to prove something. Lots of purpose in his game.
He looks strong. Real thick, solid, and tight. Hope he keeps up us to date with progress pics and vids

Reactions: DrEasy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No - I am not his relative . Did you think I was or were you trolling me?

Sorry - when did this happen? Are you talking about tonight ?

What Senator won a fight tonight ? Who won a fight last game ?
I’d say Kastelic got a draw last game.

I am not talking about tonight which was a nothing fight where Watson didn’t throw a punch (which he does pretty frequently) and didn’t get punched out.

The « lights punched out » was an overstatement in relation to Watson’s overall tenure with the team. I should have said beat up.

My point is just that I don’t see much « deterrent » value in Watson when he never wins fights.

Doesn’t mean he’s not a contributor, like Mick said he does a lot of other things, but his fighting isn’t a big plus in my book.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad