Low Effort GDT Pre season Sens vs Habs 3rd edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I bet some folks would feel differently about this "fight" if Montreal got the instigator, especially if Ottawa scored on the power play.

Anyways, I would encourage people to adjust their expectarions a little bit and stop trying to plan some way to have some macho man teach Xhekaj a painful lesson. This kind of approach just plays to his strengths.

If the team feels like there is some sort of unfinished business, there are other ways of dealing with it, recognizing that every approach will have advantages and disadvantages.

For what it is worth, I think that the Habs are their own enemy in some regards. As much as intimidation can provide a psychological advantage, they took undisciplined penalties in this game, with a view to playing rough. At least that's the sense I get reading these boards. Although Ottawa did not score on the power play, Montreal probably limited their scoring chances tonight by spending unneccessary time on the penalty kill. I would argue that their penalties were costly in the sense that the Habs might otherwise have scored an extra goal, perhaps resulting in a tie game after regulation time. And it's not even as if losing this game will help them get Bedard. They just seem to not care about making decisions or adopting habits that will help them win.

The same could have been accomplished by not dropping the gloves and letting X take a roughing.

For example:

Neil is one of my absolute favourite Sens of all time. He had to be really smart about picking his spots because Jacques wouldn’t have let him make the team otherwise. Those lessons served him the rest of his career.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
What? Are you Watson’s relative or something?

I very clearly said the best he can do is a draw, I didnt say he got his lights punched out tonight. Go look at his fight card. 0 wins last year.

Did X do anything after? X started the fight in response to Watson’s hit. Watson didn’t fight to control the game.
Watson threw a hit because that's part of hockey. The big robot, out to impress the brass any way he can, should have had an instigator penalty, but who knows with refs. Anyway, a big, harmless guy like Watson, facing a guy who can fight, is always wise to end things with a nice hug.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Bileur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's the same size as Lindros. Skates very well and was an amazing player as a 17 year old against men under massive pressure. He's 18, he has a long way to go but he is going to be a hell of a player. I have watched him close to 20 times now, he has by far the biggest upside in the draft and was the clear choice at number 1. Players take time to develop this board seems to be forgetting that for whatever reason.

It was absolutely the right pick. Shane Wright was trash last year, cant keep up and lacks compete. Was behind the play in the CHL all season.

I get people dont like the Habs but this isnt the play. He is going to be very very good.
100% agree. The only other guy with his potential upside is Cooley. Small centre vs massive winger. Both very good picks that will need some extra runway to take off.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Would be nice to win one of these games comfortably and convincingly. We won’t be facing a fractured Montreal team to start the season. D has to tighten up and that’s on DJ.
I was hoping they'd do better against a team that has a clue.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
I don't find that. He's got some serious potential, is going to be a big time player
Slafkovsky is not slow-footed, he's slow reacting. Probably a function of playing in Europe, with its spacious rinks and more deliberate pace of play. The abrupt transitions, lack of space and frequent hits of the NHL will take some getting used to. He could still be great.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
I am not sure that I understand the fascination with that "fight." It looked pretty uneventful to me. Was Watson even trying to win? Perhaps he just wanted to wrestle his opponent to a tie, which is probably not a bad strategy for him. Of course, it does not send much of a message.

I did not watch the game, but someone mentioned that the Habs were going after Stutzle. If my memory serves me well, the Buffalo Sabres used to follow a memorable standard of responsive behaviour: "If you go after our star players, we're not going after you, we're going after your star players," or something like that.

Having observed Ottawa's response to various attempts to intimidate its skilled/star players, the Senators seem to uphold a very different standard: if you go after our star players, we're going after you, but only with limited force because we want to stick to our game plan and not get distracted by too many shenanigans.

This approach has some benefits. It limits the chances of escalating a tit-for-tat cycle of retribution, which would be dangerous for everyone. Also, a cycle of retribution would be far more costly for a promising team like Ottawa, as compared to a team that has less to lose, like Montreal.

However, in the long run, after a team targets a star Senators player, and Ottawa's response is limited, other teams in the league might believe that they should try the same kind of intimidation tactics against Ottawa. If Ottawa continues with its current approach, it might become increasingly difficult for the team to change anyone's perception that the star players can be pushed around.

In summary, it's fine to talk about bringing in a heavyweight, but the team's approach to handling intimidation is just as important as its musclepower. Personally, I like the idea running up the score as a response to intimidation, but it's not always realistic.

The good news for Ottawa is that star players like Stutzle are fairly resilient and unphased by attempts to intimidate. He seems to be engaged no matter what comes his way.
Goons get penalties, or at least they should. Ottawa's PP needs to be the nuclear deterrent. Staged fights don't do much.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Isn't Boucher going to be our answer to a guy like Xhekaj? Isn't he supposed to eventually be our Tom Wilson?
We play them four times. Do you shape your roster for that? Other teams have goons too, but no one seems too worried about them.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Disagree. He sucks right now.

There is certainly some potential there but right now he's not NHL caliber.

well yea he hasnt played a single NHL/professional game yet. But he has good upside and rare combination. I think he will be a valuable NHLer one day.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I do think our team is a bit of a pushover when our players get targeted (ie. Batherson last year going down on that dirty hit). There was absolutely zero response to it.

It's a problem.
That was because no one knew it was dirty at the time. It looked like coincidental contact with the goalie.

Later in the game Brady and Waty were bumping the goalie as often as they could. Not much else you can do when it’s the goalie other then run him hard and get a 5 and a game.

Everyone got a good look at it after the game and the guy was suspended.

Norris’ injury was more of a lack of response, though again, it didn’t look malicious or a particularly big hit so it’s hard to get the blood boiling.

Shit still does happen in hockey, and not all of it demands retribution.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Isn't Boucher going to be our answer to a guy like Xhekaj? Isn't he supposed to eventually be our Tom Wilson?

Boucher is not really a fighter. Like Volchenkov, he could become a very intimidating presence with his hits and nastiness. He has a good shot but needs to use it more for the 67s this season, has the potential to be a power forward so it will take a minute of development. No rush.

Our organization has no answer for Xhekaj type, but is it necessary to fight him? If he goons up, start dropping the other Smurfs more than obliging the jabronie. Score on those powerplays and even more on ES when he’s on ice.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Boucher is a hitter who can score, he’s not a 4th line goon. We don’t have one of those.

Not do we need one. Other teams don’t dress guys who fight but can’t play.

I like the idea of calling up Yablonski from the AHL if you need him on some nights.

That was a scary dude.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Boucher is a hitter who can score, he’s not a 4th line goon. We don’t have one of those.

Not do we need one. Other teams don’t dress guys who fight but can’t play.

I like the idea of calling up Yablonski from the AHL if you need him on some nights.

That was a scary dude.
I am still waiting for Boucher to score.

Bring back Chris Neil
He would do nicely. He can hit. He can fight.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Slafkovsky is not slow-footed, he's slow reacting. Probably a function of playing in Europe, with its spacious rinks and more deliberate pace of play. The abrupt transitions, lack of space and frequent hits of the NHL will take some getting used to. He could still be great.

Agreed. He's a Byfield-type project.

I want to see what he looks like in 3-5 years before making serious judgements.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
In some people's minds, dreams and prayers. Not in mine!

Agreed. He's a Byfield-type project.

I want to see what he looks like in 3-5 years before making serious judgements.
I like Slaf and wish we had him as a prospect.

The policeman role is a roster position that was not properly filled by the GM.
GM Murray knew what was required re: tough guys on the roster. Dorion does not; he searches for bottom of the barrel players for that role.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In some people's minds, dreams and prayers. Not in mine!

I like Slaf and wish we had him as a prospect.

GM Murray knew what was required re: tough guys on the roster. Dorion does not; he searches for bottom of the barrel players for that role.
Naw, it’s more that there were actual guys that played thy role at a pro level back then. No one is coming up through juniors like that anymore. There are limits on fighting now.

Dorion has been doing a good job adding tough guys to the roster that can play, most noticeably the captain, but Kastelic, Boucher, Kleven, Ostapchuk, are looking like tough guys to play against thy we can add to the team. The current roster is filled with character players who can hold their own.

I

Lets see what he can do over the season; I am not "holding my breath"! :)
Well given that the season just started, it’s going to be a long wait. You should probably breathe regardless.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A guy like Reaves, McGrattan or Probert would be the type of player I want on the 4th line. Just one player like that would make other teams' think twice about taking runs at our skilled players.

I like Ostapchuk, Kleven, Boucher and Kastelic as future potential players who can be physically tough too; however, none of them are like the 3 above players..

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese