Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 6: Sharks def. Canucks 2-1 (McCann)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Only one returning player from last year has gotten a goal so far this pre-season... which was Horvat against Calgary.

The vets clearly are mailing it in.

But their struggles to score are starting to worry me...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't recall Biega being such an energetic player from his time here last year. He was impressive tonight.

Effort is never his issue. He had a ton of hits during his stint here last season. But I've never seen him skate as well as he did tonight. His skill and hockey sense is a bit limited though.

But seriously, Benning could have easily replaced Sbisa with him if he wanted a physical dman who can skate but is limited in other facets of the gam.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If Hutton isn't on the 3rd pairing on opening night I will be very disappointed, he is ahead of Bartkowski, Corrado and even Sbisa. I can live with his rookie mistakes because they comes with offensive generation as well. Why didn't Benning just go to arbitration and get Sbisa for $2.4m x 1 year.

Biega deserves to be in the top 7 D too.

McCann also makes my team, he is young and will struggle for strength and consistency but the potential is great and he is showing enough good things to out weigh any growing pains.

Virtanen needs to go back for another year of junior. He just isn't good enough as an offensive player atm and I don't want to see Benning pigeon hole him into a role as a grinder just to get him a roster spot. We need our top 6 pick to become a high end scorer not a slightly better Ferland. Back to junior to work on his offensive game and focus less on hitting, such a shame the AHL is not an option.

Sadly Gaunce will be used as injury callup, not terrible but though confusing he had played well.

Canucks scouting this pre-season is just awful, if it wasn't for a couple of kids exceeding expectations (Hutton McCann) this pre-season would have been unwatchable.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If Hutton isn't on the 3rd pairing on opening night I will be very disappointed, he is ahead of Bartkowski, Corrado and even Sbisa. I can live with his rookie mistakes because they comes with offensive generation as well. Why didn't Benning just go to arbitration and get Sbisa for $2.4m x 1 year.

I asked myself that same question many times....

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Ya we are definitely in on the Auston Matthews sweep stakes I think Pheonix will out do us though....

Also a side note did anyone see Eichels ****ing goal? That kid is going to win rookie of the year holy **** he is good!

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ya we are definitely in on the Auston Matthews sweep stakes I think Pheonix will out do us though....

Also a side note did anyone see Eichels ****ing goal? That kid is going to win rookie of the year holy **** he is good!

Very effortless stride

He blew by that D-man

it is a very deceiving stride that he has, as he doesn't look like he is trying all that hard.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
hutton... great game all round....even the odd time he had a miscue he corrected his mistake,,,so much poise, good descions,great passing....beautiful end to end rush..... worked his way into the top six

biega looked solid...able to make quick descions at fast pace,unloaded a few good bombs from the point good defence

corrado had a mixed bag...got stronger as the game went on....good overall,with a few poor turnovers

edler and tanev looked okay.....preseason for vets...meh to okay

bart had a mostly invisble game,out of place defensivly a few times.....couple okay rushes.....dropped behind biega and hutton on depth chart...maybe behind carrado too

miller was solid...two wonky goals......one caused by bart

McCann continues to impress.....soldifying a spot,,can score can play two way,doesnt look out of place

Virtanen had some good hits and good battles...great work on creating the turnover for McCann s goal

prust was just okay,same with dorsett,and cracknell(best of those three)....this group had some big shifts in sj zone.....had a number chances for a dirty goal....just couldnt bury it.

kenins...was okay

horvat. was okay

vey wasnt any where as bad as people think........wasnt very good though.... and people are worried that he will take away a roster spot from a more deserving young player...and his plays when good arent awe inspiring

sven looked terrible.....i would be worried if i was him...hes going to end up in Utica...disintrested,sloppy in defensive zone,.....not willing to drive to the net with the puck....the opposite of guance,mccann,.

gaunce looked okay....not as sharp as earlier game...although he took puck to face,,,will give him some leeway.

grenier. was just under okay....tks for what you showed... but time for big cuts......and you can get called up
hansen was okay to good

mccann,virtanen,hutton defintly made big strides to making this team.

baerstchi working his way off the team....he cant play solid defence...battling is under performing....and his strong suit...offensive flair...was meh today

vey slipped a bit...had a decent third period....but compared to mccann,virtanen and guance...very shallow player..right now hes slipped to a spare forward,and one foot in Utica

SaltySnipes*

Maybe a little light to be effective against men in the regular season.
Could be a nice player when he matures physically.
I'm thinking he's Comets bound in the immediate future.

Tell that to Johnny Gaudreau or Sam Bennett

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Baertschi's performance in the pre-season confirms to me why it's a dicey proposition to trade second-rounders for other team's failed prospects.....you just have to scratch your heads at some of Benning's trades/acqusitions.....Bartkowski, Vey, Baertschi, Sbisa, Miller and Prust.....have any of them panned out?

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I feel McCann is most likely to get the Horvat look this year. Virtanen really doesn't seem like he is ready. But then again he hasn't looked worse than Sven. The Veterans really haven't looked that great.

Edler needs to learn how to shoot the puck without hitting shin pads.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
A few tweets:

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 54 mins54 minutes ago
with a min to go, biega leading canucks corsi (plus-8), Hutton second (plus-7), vey last (-6)

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff 49 mins49 minutes ago
#Canucks Virtanen didn't play final 9:03 of 3rd after collision with Nieto at centre ice. Just 3 third period shifts

Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun 20 mins20 minutes ago
I get logistics/contracts/CBA, but don't see how McCann isn't on #Canucks if he keeps scoring. Dangerous wherever he's plugged in.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Baertschi's performance in the pre-season confirms to me why it's a dicey proposition to trade second-rounders for other team's failed prospects.....you just have to scratch your heads at some of Benning's trades/acqusitions.....Bartkowski, Vey, Baertschi, Sbisa, Miller and Prust.....have any of them panned out?
Bartkowski

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
McCann and Hutton have to start on the big club this season if they're actually serious about icing the best team possible with the players available. It's that simple. Was hoping for Baertschi and Virtanen to make similar impressions, but so far they haven't aside from a few moments here and there.

Hutton: brilliant game. Getting better and better. Sure, he made a few mistakes and his game still has a few warts, but tonight he was the only dman who could pass the puck, skate the puck and get out of trouble when faced with pressure. And compared to the warts certain other dmen here have, the difference between their game and his is like a before and after shot in those ProActive ads. Maybe he'll flounder when the regular season starts and the vets stop sleepwalking, but imho he deserves the chance and hell, maybe he runs with it.

McCann: See above (except the dman part). You can see his confidence and ability growing every game. Great shot, great guts, great vision.

Baertschi: Well, that line was a mess plain and simple. Reserving judgement on he and Virtanen until they play with McCann or Horvat.

Virtanen: See above.

Corrado: started off as the anti-Hutton, but got better. Still clearly below our new D wonder boy. Really wondering what happened to his game. Sad.

Bartkowski: Basically a better version of Sbisa at this point. Skates well, but no offense and...oh yeah, deflected a puck into his own net for the GWG.

Vey: His NHL career is dying before his eyes and he knows it. Has to look a long way up to see McCann or even Gaunce. I'd take either over him to open the season.

Prust/Cracknell/Dorsett: on one hand, that line actually had some good shifts and created some chances. On the other, why are you here?

Kenins: pretty meh evening.

Horvat: ditto.

Grenier's going back to Utica.

Biega could probably stick up here, but won't.

Gaunce was decent; liked the guts of staying in there while gushing blood.

Vets still mailing it in. Edler (the shinguard assassin) and Tanev were uncharacteristically bad for long stretches.

And DAMN do we ever need a competent PP QB.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
If preseason really matters, if the Canucks are being honest about an emphasis on youth, Jared McCann will be playing in one week, on opening night, when it matters.

McCann has outplayed Jake Virtanen, Linden Vey, Sven Baertschi, and Ronalds Kenins.

In fact, name any Canuck forward. McCann is eating their lunch right now.

He was good in Penticton, great at training camp, impressive in the first week of preseason and now, well now he's scoring goals.

He has set up plays, picked corners and, lo and behold, produced offence.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/sharks+canucks+mccann+shows+pedigree+loss/11401037/story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad