Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 6: Sharks def. Canucks 2-1 (McCann)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Botchford of the past three years is not the same Botchford that people still perceive him to be.

He writes good ****.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
McCann and Hutton have to start on the big club this season if they're actually serious about icing the best team possible with the players available. It's that simple. Was hoping for Baertschi and Virtanen to make similar impressions, but so far they haven't aside from a few moments here and there.

Hutton: brilliant game. Getting better and better. Sure, he made a few mistakes and his game still has a few warts, but tonight he was the only dman who could pass the puck, skate the puck and get out of trouble when faced with pressure. And compared to the warts certain other dmen here have, the difference between their game and his is like a before and after shot in those ProActive ads. Maybe he'll flounder when the regular season starts and the vets stop sleepwalking, but imho he deserves the chance and hell, maybe he runs with it.

McCann: See above (except the dman part). You can see his confidence and ability growing every game. Great shot, great guts, great vision.

Baertschi: Well, that line was a mess plain and simple. Reserving judgement on he and Virtanen until they play with McCann or Horvat.

Virtanen: See above.

Corrado: started off as the anti-Hutton, but got better. Still clearly below our new D wonder boy. Really wondering what happened to his game. Sad.

Bartkowski: Basically a better version of Sbisa at this point. Skates well, but no offense and...oh yeah, deflected a puck into his own net for the GWG.

Vey: His NHL career is dying before his eyes and he knows it. Has to look a long way up to see McCann or even Gaunce. I'd take either over him to open the season.

Prust/Cracknell/Dorsett: on one hand, that line actually had some good shifts and created some chances. On the other, why are you here?

Kenins: pretty meh evening.

Horvat: ditto.

Grenier's going back to Utica.

Biega could probably stick up here, but won't.

Gaunce was decent; liked the guts of staying in there while gushing blood.

Vets still mailing it in. Edler (the shinguard assassin) and Tanev were uncharacteristically bad for long stretches.

And DAMN do we ever need a competent PP QB.

We have one. Hutton

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I can't remember his name but that Boston Prospect from last year had a great season and he was way lighter than McCann.

I think that would be a good comparable.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I can't remember his name but that Boston Prospect from last year had a great season and he was way lighter than McCann.

Ryan Spooner/David Pastrnak

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Given the circumstances, especially the lineups, an encouraging effort. Biggest deal was the play of Hutton who looks like he can step right in. This is something no one could have fore-casted. Sheer ignorance that he was not recognized as a star. He was light years better than Gaunce. Garett being Garett. Lots of his stuff comes off his pre-game analysis and he shapes things to fit that view rather than letting the actual game determine his evaluation. Ignoring Biega b/c it didn't fit his limited mind set is a good example.

Liked

Biega - hardly took a step wrong. Showed NHL caliber quickness and speed. Could see he was gaining confidence and starting to play with the bravado he did in Utica. Very quick at jumping on his check in his end and in neutral ice. Too bad he didn't get the puck in open ice on the 4 on 4 v b/c you could see he was going for it. In any logical world, Biega stays up but given the Canuck management culture of perference for their pre-set players he is likely waived tomorrow.

Situation reminds you of how Sanguinetti got treated. Probably the best defenseman in the AHL last year in the first half of the season (prior to injury) and doesn't get a sniff b/c like Willie is afraid he might make a bad play and Benning is in love with Sbisa. Instead stick with players like Stanton, Bieksa and Sbisa who, of course, do not make mistakes.

Hutton - guy looks like a beaut. Has such a big amplitude in his game. Could be dynamic. Hard not to get carried away with hope for this player.

Gaunce - does a lot of little things right. Very good defensive awareness. However, lack of quick pivot showed up in this game. When he overruns the play can't stop quick or turn quick enough to stay in the play. Lacks a quick stick at times as well. Gaunce needs to refine his game and hopefully can dominate at the AHL level.

Cracknell - somewhat based on expectations but he has been solid. Looks like a decent fit with Dorsett and Prust. Line started with some problems but by the third were turning in some very good shifts. Should be on the team ahead of Vey.

Did Not Like

Grenier - not ready. From time to time makes a good play but in the general run of things looks lost. Too many blind passes and just throwing the puck into traffic. Not really in control of his game at this level.

Edler and Tanev had a brutal first period but did get better as the game went on.

Vey - Benning and Desjardins will focus only on the final chance Vey had and ignore some of the deplorable play in his own zone. There are players dieing for a chance at this level but Vey is gifted everything. This pre-season seems less about getting lines set or team play and more about giving chances to Vey. Seems like the job of some players is making Vey look good. Well...after all Vey worked very hard in the off season.

Hansen - not having a good pre-season. Hopefully saving it for the regular season. Seems to have a problem finding a fit on this team right now. Has a tendency to get on his own agenda and not use his line mates well and that is showing up now.

Others

Kenins - in and out game. Liked how he created space for McCann and used in body to separate people from the puck and to protect the puck but needs more finish on passes and shots around the net.

Baertschi - needs to start scoring. Seems to over pass and not trust his shot. His play on the power lacked much creativity and he wasn't quick enough getting to rebounds.

Miller - overall good. I think, however, might have reacted quicker to the deflected goals. Maybe nitpicking but these were the types of saves he made in his prime. Needs, also, to communicate better with the defensemen around his goal. Some chances against created by muffing pucks around the net or not letting the defenseman take the puck

Virtanen - finding his way. There is a lot to like but still getting caught trying to read the play rather than just playing. Sort of stop and start hockey. However, his outside speed is just top end. Canucks need to harness the stuff Virtanen has but that is going to take time and work.

Corrado - better again. Showed more mobility and was quicker moving the puck. Yet, there remains obvious problems in handling of size around the net. Really has trouble boxing out around his net. But he was better getting on his man and forcing the play in his own end.

McCann - has a tremendous wrist shot and enough speed to get himself open. Have to be very optimistic about this player's long term offensive upside. However, right now shifts are uneven. Has good shifts and then difficult ones especially sometimes getting through neutral zone or out of his end. Also, needs to improve transition game. This, you have to think, will come but you do wonder if he is there yet especially when game quickens in the regular season.

All in all, a game that allows you to think there is some depth here and some very good young players coming along.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I don't want to live in a world where Prust is a 4th liner and Kenins is in the AHL.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
A few tweets:

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff 49 mins49 minutes ago
#Canucks Virtanen didn't play final 9:03 of 3rd after collision with Nieto at centre ice. Just 3 third period shifts

-----

Maybe they'll play up that battle wound in an attempt to finagle JV down to Utica - not unlike like Horvat last year...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good effort considering the relative strengths of the rosters, with some good performances from young players. Overall offence becoming a bit of an issue, though.

- Miller was solid tonight. Can't complain about his performance.

- Hutton-Biega were the best defensive pairing on a night when Edler-Tanev weren't bad. Obviously most of the hype will go to Hutton but Biega was the best player on the ice for either team and played the best game of any Canuck defender this preseason. Absolutely skated miles, drove possession with great breakouts and zone entries, and had 6 of 7 SOG while being rock solid defensively. Intelligent player with spot on fundamentals who has seen his skating take a major leap forward. Was flying out there tonight. A joke if he doesn't make this team given how badly he's outplayed 4 other guys this preseason.

- after tonight, Hutton should be in the top-6. Was silky smooth and barely put a foot wrong. Can see his confidence growing every game. This team sorely needs improved outlet passing and he's delivering in spades.

- Corrado-Bartkowski were better late but a fire drill on many shifts early. Slightly better effort for Corrado, but he falls further behind after the better performances of others. Should be waived to Utica.

- Horvat and Gaunce were solid tonight although not as good as previous games. Impressive from Gaunce to gut it out with a mashed face. Grenier was just flailing around uselessly ... not sure why he's still here getting such high-profile minutes as this is his 3rd or 4th poor effort in a row.

- Vey had a couple chances late but was on balance lousy yet again. It's getting embarrassing to watch the organization hand these sort of ridiculous opportunities to this poor player ahead of more deserving, better options. Useless.

- Virtanen had a bit better - although hardly excellent - game and then seemed to get hurt late. Still think he should be back to Calgary and hasn't earned 9 games.

- Baertschi was awful. Completely on the perimeter all night, accomplished nothing. Poor defensively. This move is not looking encouraging right now. Having an awful preseason.

- McCann almost has to get a look at this point although I'm not sure where or how. Another excellent effort. If only the 4th line had better winger options to stick him with ...

- Kenins was a bit better although still looking robotic like he's overthinking things. Hansen not really a good game at all, although he always seems to suck in preseason.

- Cracknell fits the face punchin' smurfs better than Vey. Had a good game tonight. Prust was a bit better although still skating in molasses and I can't remember him throwing a hit this preseason.

Will be fascinating to see what happens on defence. Two guys the organization expected to be in Utica have hopelessly outplayed 4 guys expected to be in Vancouver. Fully expect they'll make the gutless decisions but can always hope not.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Anyone else think its a coincidence that the two guys that sat and got sent home with the Utica last year, are playing like the best players while the big boys that went to the AHL finals are looking average. I wonder how much preparation some of those kids had and you wonder how much more "fresh" those two that rested are, compared to the other kids. The three kids that were supposedly given roster spots aren't playing well enough. The two waiver eligible kids, and the top pick.

It'll be a hell of a funner season with some younger kids but it would suck to lose an asset if some guys are just mid-season form while the kids that were suppose to make the team are still trying to find their legs. Yeah, they gotta earn their spot but the vets on the team look bad too. In one player's case, he was clearly the best player with Utica but he looks like trash at the moment.

Last edited:

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
Anyone else think its a coincidence that the two guys that sat and got sent home with the Utica last year, are playing like the best players while the big boys that went to the AHL finals are looking average. I wonder how much preparation some of those kids had and you wonder how much more "fresh" those two that rested are, compared to the other kids. The three kids that were supposedly given roster spots aren't playing well enough. The two waiver eligible kids, and the top pick.

It'll be a hell of a funner season with some younger kids but it would suck to lose an asset if some guys are just mid-season form while the kids that were suppose to make the team are still trying to find their legs. Yeah, they gotta earn their spot but the vets on the team look bad too. In one player's case, he was clearly the best player with Utica but he looks like trash at the moment.

crytpic, but i think what you're saying is give baertschi and vey a bit of a break?

i agree to a certain extent, insofar as we have two preseason games left and they should be given substantial opportunities in both of those games. it did frustrate me at first to see vey out there in the 4-on-3 and pulled-goalie minutes, but at the end of the day that's what the coaches need to see: can they do the job when the puck's given to them on a platter. right now, neither of those two guys have really been able to. but it's right to not be rash.

i think this board in general has a bit of a misconception about how highly JB and willie value vey and baertschi, though. vey was a healthy scratch often last year and baertschi has already served a purpose: boosting the comet's cup run and building the competitive atmosphere over training camp.

i'm more worried that JB is going to start looking sideways at guys like burrows and hansen...

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
It was frustrating to see McCann stapled to the bench at the end of the game when they pulled Miller. It's obvious that they are giving Vey every opportunity to prove himself instead of trying to win the game. He was literally on the ice for almost 2 minutes it seemed. C'mon Benning just own up and take your beating like a man that you wasted a 2nd round pick.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
From what I'm reading these young players deserve to stay, but I think with willies mindset, the vets for the most part will stay and whomever can be sent to Utica will be. Think Hutton starts in van, but will be in Utica by thanksgiving.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It was frustrating to see McCann stapled to the bench at the end of the game when they pulled Miller. It's obvious that they are giving Vey every opportunity to prove himself instead of trying to win the game. He was literally on the ice for almost 2 minutes it seemed. C'mon Benning just own up and take your beating like a man that you wasted a 2nd round pick.

Vey had about four great chances to score in the last five minutes of the game. Three of them he missed the net and Jones robbed him on the fourth

arsmaster*

From what I'm reading these young players deserve to stay, but I think with willies mindset, the vets for the most part will stay and whomever can be sent to Utica will be. Think Hutton starts in van, but will be in Utica by thanksgiving.

Canadian or american thanksgiving?

I'd be surprised if he made it to American.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Hutton just keeps getting better and better, was the best Canucks player on the ice for sure. Skated well, see's the ice, can make plays, great passing.

Beiga had a solid game. I really like his play. Last year he was a great call up and would like to see him as our 7th man this year.

Corrado had a much better outing today, but has clearly been surpassed by the 2 aforementioned.

McCann has to make the team. It's not just the goals, which are impressively accurate, but his skating and vision on the ice, he's constantly creating chances and setting up others to succeed, what any great centre does.

Gaunce, quietly effective again. I thought he had some good chances but couldn't put them home. Looked really good on the PP with Horvat and McCann.

Vey had a better game, but just had his spot taken by McCann.

Horvat was decent, but wasn't giving his best effort.

Baertchi was decent I thought. Had a few chances and passed the puck well.

Prust, Dorsett and Kenins were all good in their roles. Prust made some surprisingly nice passes I thought.

Overall considering the lineups, the Canucks roster showed well.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Good:

McCann - Slick and shifty. Obviously and excellent wrist shot to go along with it. Sneaks around the ice and slides into good position with great timing. Could play in the NHL now and deserves the 9 games more than Virtanen does. I could see him as a winger, though best to keep him at centre as long as possible.

Hutton - Excellent breakout passes. Confidence and poise seems to grow every game. Not much physically but is a very intelligent player and performing right now. Can't say enough about his breakouts, they are top notch.

Biega - Not dynamic but intelligent. Very rarely out of position and makes the right plays and has an effective and active stick. If he doesn't make the team, he's forced his way to the top of the call-up list.

Miller - Was solid.

Not Good:

Baertschi - Playing on the perimeter, not taking the puck to the net. He back-checked physically but not with any real aggression or purpose. Soft on the puck, expecting stickhandling at the top of the circles to create chances. Basically exactly what we do not want to see from him. He's going to grow a pair and take the puck to the net, or he's going to be yet another wasted 2nd round pick. Has to figure out how to drive the net and do the things it takes to score. His skill level will produce the results, but he needs to fight harder and find his compete level. All the skill in the world will accomplish nothing if it's not directed properly. Do the right things, compete and your skill will produce results. Do not compete, and all the skill in the world won't amount to jack. Horrible preseason and looks like the epitome of why Flames fans said he was traded.

Corrado - Playing off his back foot and showing a great lack of confidence. Honestly I think the game is there, he just needs to find it and build up some confidence. I don't think it's a matter of skill or ability, he can be a decent NHL defenceman, he just needs to settle down and find his game. He should be in Utica. No one is going to claim him if you do it soon.

Vey - Not too much to say that hasn't been repeated ad naseum. Wet napkin in the corners, not dynamic or fast enough to make anything happen on offence. This guy is the new Brandon McMillan. We have better players already. My hope is that they are giving him every opportunity to perform before the ultimately waive him or at least use him as a 13th forward. Not holding my breath though.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

I sort of compare him to Giroux. Giroux came into the league at about 170-175 and is still only 185 according to this years camp roster. They are guys with very good offensive instincts that can find teammates with great passes but also put the puck in the net.

Hansen....not shocking he was so-so. It was his second game and his first one was a week ago. I suspect he'll be playing the last two games to get him ready for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille