GDT: Pre-Season Game #3: Penguins @ Blue Jackets 2PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’ve got to disagree here. I think it is more than likely given he’s going to be used as our 3rd offensive option on the blue line and paired with Schultz he could very easily get into the 35-40 pt range if he continues to progress as a player.

I don't think he has the shot for that, that's my big concern. I think he's a good playmaker on defense, but being a playmaker with a weak shot on a 2nd PP unit (on a team with Crosby, Malkin and such on their top PP unit) isn't going to result in him being a big point producer. He's not getting 35 assists in a season, which is basically what he needs considering he'd be lucky to get 5 goals in any given year.

If Schultz, a much better OFD than Pettersson, is only putting up a 35 point pace with Letang healthy, I can't see Pettersson getting more than 25-30.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No I said he’s overrated for people trying to convince themselves he’s an offensive defenseman. Marino is completely independent of that discussion.

And once again a broken down Maatta put up 29 points two years ago, and Dumo just had 23. That doesn’t make them offensive defenseman.

I would consider Maatta after his rookie year as a two-way D able to be the offensive defenseman on his pairing.

Given the comparable players I brought up, I certainly don’t see him as a Niskanen or Ghost like player, but I could easily see him in the Demers / Slavin role where he’s more than capable of producing on his own.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
HFBoards does say a lot of dumb things from time to time, but I really don't recall anyone ever saying Pettersson was a "gifted offensive defenseman" at any point. At best, he's a playmaker for a 2nd PP unit that has a Schultz caliber shot from the center point. He's probably only going to be a 25-30 point defenseman in the NHL.

Exhibit A

I’ve got to disagree here. I think it is more than likely given he’s going to be used as our 3rd offensive option on the blue line and paired with Schultz he could very easily get into the 35-40 pt range if he continues to progress as a player.

As I said the company that had similar seasons at 22 and in their 2nd year all have gone on to do very well production wise.

That doesn't refute anything I said. You seem to be getting overly defensive and just acting emotional here. You're arguing against people who are bringing up facts and calling them fanboys, while not providing anything yourself.

Again, why are you putting that standard on Pettersson, who has already put up 25 points in the NHL, and not putting that standard on Marino, who hasn't even played a pro game in the NHL? Especially considering we're talking about a 3 preseason game sample size in Marino's case.

Already explained.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The best comparison I can make for Pettersson is Paul Martin, who's another guy who was a playmaking 2-way D with a weak shot. In his last 5 full NHL seasons, he put up 26, 20, 20, 27 and 24 points in the NHL. I just can't see Pettersson being better than that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think he has the shot for that, that's my big concern. I think he's a good playmaker on defense, but being a playmaker with a weak shot on a 2nd PP unit (on a team with Crosby, Malkin and such on their top PP unit) isn't going to result in him being a big point producer. He's not getting 35 assists in a season, which is basically what he needs considering he'd be lucky to get 5 goals in any given year.

If Schultz, a much better OFD than Pettersson, is only putting up a 35 point pace with Letang healthy, I can't see Pettersson getting more than 25-30.

I guess it depends how MP and Schultz click. Also Schultz did put up a 40 pt pace last season. With JJ..

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The best comparison I can make for Pettersson is Paul Martin, who's another guy who was a playmaking 2-way D with a weak shot. In his last 5 full NHL seasons, he put up 26, 20, 20, 27 and 24 points in the NHL. I just can't see Pettersson being better than that.

I’m just going off of the players that were the comparable players I pointed to at 22, that played 1000+ minutes and had 18+ ES points with a CF above 50%.

All of those players have broken 30+ pts.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’ve been making my points, so no clue what you mean...

That was a very immature post. Come on. You are one of the top posters here on HF. That was extremely disappointing to go that route of internet twitter lows to project a side of an argument.

Pets makes less than 900k. Majority of posters around here think he's a 5/6. Majority of people did not want to see a 4m contract. A lot of people want to see him 3-4 years at like 3m and think it's fair, especially in todays' market. A lot of people are interested in his abilities and like his skillset.

I've never heard the majority of people claim he's a guarantee top 4. The majority does not sit here and say he's the next Letang. If one or two people say it, oh well. Can't let them speak for the fan base.

So far the majority have liked his game and liked how he's gotten better and better. They think he's a 5/6 with potential to be a 4. He's 23. Contract controlled. Less than 900k. This is what the majority thinks. So no... I don't understand the "overrated" part at all.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not a single blueliner in the league last season that scored over 40 isn’t considered an offensive blueliner. Look at the names and tell me which one of them plays like MP.

2018‑2019 NHL Defensemen Scoring Leaders

Good luck with that.

35 - 40 pts is not over 40 pts and as I said I think a lot of that will be Schultz scoring and Petts assisting.

In the 35-40 range I would say Muzzin and Pulock. I also see a lot of potential to be a Josh Morrisseyesque player in Pettersson.

Do I think it is going to happen? I dunno, but given what he did last year he’s progressing towards it.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Missed the game, but seems like Marino had another solid outing. Really Impressed with him from what I’ve seen and he’s only 22. If he and POJ can work out we have a solid blue line. I haven’t given up on Addison, but he’s young and needs time

Young and needs time in a position that takes time to develop agreed because Addison is only 19 and it's very rare for Dman that young to make the NHL which is why im perplexed on the first part where you have to state you "arent giving up on him"

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That was a very immature post. Come on. You are one of the top posters here on HF. That was extremely disappointing to go that route of internet twitter lows to project a side of an argument.

C’mon Cole, don’t act like you didn’t see the BS post that took a low blow dig at me. I know you are too good a mod not to have seen it.

Dude does it all the time and I have let it slide 99 out of the last 100 times, so I’m not going to pretend to feel badly for taking a dig back.

Pets makes less than 900k. Majority of posters around here think he's a 5/6. Majority of people did not want to see a 4m contract. A lot of people want to see him 3-4 years at like 3m and think it's fair, especially in todays' market. A lot of people are interested in his abilities and like his skillset.

I've never heard the majority of people claim he's a guarantee top 4. The majority does not sit here and say he's the next Letang. If one or two people say it, oh well. Can't let them speak for the fan base.

So far the majority have liked his game and liked how he's gotten better and better. They think he's a 5/6 with potential to be a 4. He's 23. Contract controlled. Less than 900k. This is what the majority thinks. So no... I don't understand the "overrated" part at all.

You think he’s a 40+ point guy up there with any of these guys:

2018‑2019 NHL Defensemen Scoring Leaders

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Imagine Petts, Marino, and POJ all panning out and performing at a high level...allowing us to have a D corps that isnt being paid top money. Would let us go out and add a top FA(or thru trade) for this current window.

We'll find out this year if its gonna be worth keeping Schultz or not(since hes such a big risk with injuries). So lets say we dont. And also clear JJs cap.

Thats ...

Dumo- Letang
Petts - Marino
POJ- Guds(until we move him)

Allowing them to give Murray, Galchenyuk, and whichever RFAs their money...along with either signing/trading for a top end Dman or Forward. Lets say Bjugstad just doesn't really move the needle...not bad but not really a mismatch type 3rd C we like to have. We trade him and his 4mil.....would have enough money for a Duchene type addition. Or one of the elite dmen like Pietrangelo, Josi, etc. Having two Elite Dmen finally. That could be the difference this team needs...with alot getting used to us having a top offense but weak D...so knowing how to play against us.

This year is going to be very exciting just on what our future could look like if all these new young players reach their potential. Could lead to trades for future picks/prospects...or improving current roster...and basically clearing a ton of cap going with a bunch of players on ELCs. Thats how you win cups...able to have the money to sign/trade for a player to put you over the top.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
35 - 40 pts is not over 40 pts and as I said I think a lot of that will be Schultz scoring and Petts assisting.

In the 35-40 range I would say Muzzin and Pulock. I also see a lot of potential to be a Josh Morrisseyesque player in Pettersson.

Do I think it is going to happen? I dunno, but given what he did last year he’s progressing towards it.

That’s fine if you want to believe it, and hopefully you are right.

However, I can’t see how your projections/expectations for MP are very fair to him because you are clearly overrating him. Even Daley didn’t put up 40 with the Pens... in fact you know how many Pens blueliners have gotten over 40 points the last ten years outside of Letang?

Might want to look that one up...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Imagine Petts, Marino, and POJ all panning out and performing at a high level...allowing us to have a D corps that isnt being paid top money. Would let us go out and add a top FA(or thru trade) for this current window.

We'll find out this year if its gonna be worth keeping Schultz or not(since hes such a big risk with injuries). So lets say we dont. And also clear JJs cap.

Thats ...

Dumo- Letang
Petts - Marino
POJ- Guds(until we move him)

Allowing them to give Murray, Galchenyuk, and whichever RFAs their money...along with either signing/trading for a top end Dman or Forward. Lets say Bjugstad just doesn't really move the needle...not bad but not really a mismatch type 3rd C we like to have. We trade him and his 4mil.....would have enough money for a Duchene type addition

This year is going to be very exciting just on what our future could look like if all these new young players reach their potential.

Sounds right up there with our D when it was..

Maatta - Letang
Despres - Pouliot
Harrington - Niskanen

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That’s fine if you want to believe it, and hopefully you are right.

However, I can’t see how your projections/expectations for MP are very fair to him because you are clearly overrating him. Even Daley didn’t put up 40 with the Pens... in fact you know how many Pens blueliners have gotten over 40 points the last ten years outside of Letang?

Might want to look that one up...

Daley at 22 also put up 14 points in 82 games. On what was a pretty stacked Stars team.

I also think it is weird that you think Daley was an offensive D. He basically was never viewed as that in Dallas until his early 30s when he had that explosive season with 16 goals right before he was traded.

Pettersson actually had more assists last year than Daley ever had in his career in one season.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Daley at 22 also put up 14 points in 82 games.

I also think it is weird that you think Daley was an offensive D. He basically was never viewed as that in Dallas until his early 30s when he had that explosive season with 16 goals right before he was traded.

Daley has always pushed offense and been a rover that made tons of plays at both ends of the ice with his legs and playmaking.

I watched him a ton starting with the Dogs and into his NHL career, so I knew his game quite well before he became a Pen.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sounds right up there with our D when it was..

Maatta - Letang
Despres - Pouliot
Harrington - Niskanen

Ha...and actually having then
M pan out. Diff is we didnt invest heavily into Marino like we did Pouliot. Despres could have been what we all expected..so no need to break that down. And POJ already looks better than Harrington(you should have added Joe Morrow lol)

Things were looking great with the next Lidstrom tho. Imagine if we did accept the trade offers for him after rookie year. There were proposals on main board offering their top overall picks(top 5) and top prospects.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Daley has always pushed offense and been a rover that made tons of plays at both ends of the ice with his legs and playmaking.

I watched him a ton starting with the Dogs and into his NHL career, so I knew his game quite well before he became a Pen.

That’s weird because I spent time in Dallas from 2005 - 2008 and watched the Stars regularly and he didn’t even play on the PP and was largely used in a PK and defensive circumstance. It wasn’t until around the 09-10 season with Tippett’s departure that changed.

He was definitely hyped as an offense oriented player coming out of the OHL, but his first six years in the NHL he wasn’t used that way. And once again I struggle to see how a player that has never put up as many assists as Pettersson just did at 22 was easily more offensive given one is 22 and just had a hell of a year with two of the biggest anchors in today’s game.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Young and needs time in a position that takes time to develop agreed because Addison is only 19 and it's very rare for Dman that young to make the NHL which is why im perplexed on the first part where you have to state you "arent giving up on him"

I was being facetious about it because Marino and POJ have jumped out and he’s kind of fallen down the chart of prospects

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That’s weird because I spent time in Dallas from 2005 - 2008 and watched the Stars regularly and he didn’t even play on the PP and was largely used in a PK and defensive circumstance. It wasn’t until around the 09-10 season with Tippett’s departure that changed.

I don’t see anything weird about it, unless you are suggesting he suddenly changed his game in his 30s. Is that what you want to try and tell me?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Cool i found a replay to make the Marino GIF(yes thats NHL'er Josh Anderson(#77) he's dancing around at center:

MARINO.gif

Seen the lineup for tomorrow. Lafferty and Marino are goin' again for game 4 for them.
Player that played in all 6 last season?
Juuso Riikola.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don’t see anything weird about it, unless you are suggesting he suddenly changed his game in his 30s. Is that what you want to try and say?

I guess what I’m trying to say is Daley was so great offensively he just got out assisted by a 22 year old Pettersson and maybe Pettersson is putting together his offensive instincts surrounded by some of the best offensive D in the league in Letang, Schultz and Gonchar. Along with Sid and Malkin.

I get your point though we ain’t getting 15-16 Daley against Washington backhand beauties from Petts.

I guess we just see offense as a different thing from D.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I guess what I’m trying to say is Daley was so great offensively he just got out assisted by a 22 year old Pettersson and maybe Pettersson is putting together his offensive instincts surrounded by some of the best offensive D in the league in Letang, Schultz and Gonchar. Along with Sid and Malkin.

Going to be frank... as usual.

You are overrating this poor young guy and putting unfair expectations on him. Your history suggests you will turn on guys quickly when they don’t live up to your expectations, so maybe you should be more realistic about his potential.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Personally, I find Pettersson to be in the Dumo mold.

If he gets a higher amount points due to being top 4 I'd consider it a bonus.

Edit: We still don't know his full expectations. If he builds off of last season then there's room to move forward with high offensive potential.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rather than waxing about points, we should talk about players in terms of roles.

Petts looks like a guy who could be a defensive complement to a legit offensive defenseman in the top 4. He has some offense of his own, but I wouldn't want him to be the primary offensive defenseman on the top 2 pairings.

There's been some talk of him playing opposite Guds on the 2nd pairing next year, where he'd obviously have the bulk of the responsibility for creating. That's something to actively avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad