GDT: Pre-Season Game #3: Penguins @ Blue Jackets 2PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Blueger was noticeable throughout, I can't imagine him not being in the line up as good as he plays. His instincts are tremendous

ZAR is coasting. He should not be gifted a spot. I've tried to be patient here but he's a very bland unassuming player from what I've seen.

Ruhwedel was arguably our best player today. Super steady.

Marino for the third game in a row accorded himself nicely. And he will skate the puck into traffic, and does so with confidence.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ya’ll never learn when it comes to pre-season.

So much this. This time last year we were debating if we could re-up Brassard and saying there should be a space for Riikola, among other things.

Pre-season is a really dodgy guide to NHL hockey. Making big decisions based on it is a good way to make your team weaker. It should take something really big for it to be guiding roster decisions more than last season; anything less, you take under advisement and see if its still true in 20 games and act on it then.

I don't think Bjugstad is bad. I just think he's... uninspiring.

I think Bjoogs suffers a bit from having all the tools and a very underwhelming output compared to that. There's times he looks like he should be poor man's Malkin. Instead he's been poor man's Staal at best. I think some people judge harsher than they otherwise might based on that.

Yeah, he was sold as a Kunitz or Hornqvist type... he is neither; he is a weirdly effective goal scorer for how blah he tends to be.

I think we know what ZAR is. He’s a fine nhl player but kind of injury prone. He’s often invisible and sometimes quite good. He’s fairly productive on average. If he starts slow he also gets hurt when he’s gotten going. Mainly, I think a 1M 13F isn’t great with JR’s cap mess and he’s not one of their 12 best forwards.

I actually feel like ZAR reminds me of Zombie Kunitz quite a lot. Frequently frustrating, often unnoticeable, surprisingly good results in terms of production and possession. I feel like he's a higher IQ player than is given credit for and I like the goalscoring ability.

And as such, I don't feel entirely sure I know who ZAR is.

There's a step there if he can play his sometimes quite good games more than sometimes and can stop getting hurt when he gets going - that injury proneness is the big issue. But there were times when I thought he was driving the 4th line last season. I'd be reluctant to move on from that just yet and I damned sure wouldn't do it via waivers because you're giving an okay NHLer to another team for free. Grab the 4th at least people.

That said - 1m 13F isn't great when we're over and there's a bunch of AHL forwards putting their hands up. He needs to do something about that.

Why would Bjugstad deserve more patience than ZAR? ZAR makes a fourth of what Bjugstad makes and is younger.

Because ZAR is a complimentary winger of which we have many and Bjugstad is our most established option at 3C and losing that could be an issue.

That said... ZAR deserves some patience in general but that cap situation is not in his favour.

I feel like TB could be 3rd line center really soon.

I'd like to see him dominate 4C first - he didn't really do that. Had an okay spell as 2C stand in, but he needs to take the form he's showing and crush some people.

Yea, i think the D kids have a better shot at sticking to start than ZAR does of getting waived, sadly.
I dunno how much Sully is gonna take of JJ/Guds to even the Schultz's and Letang's doing dumb plays before he says "PLEASSSE, give me P-O or Marino!".

Gudzilla shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as JJ and if Sully was that desperate for POJ he'd have played more than one game.

Who are Bjugs (possible) line mates come regular season?

Hornqvist and McCann/Simon/Kahun

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t know where that came from but I doubt its that cut and dry since I’m pretty sure they always saw McCann as a winger.

The first press reports made it sound a lot like they saw McCann as the 3C and Bjugstad as a RW.

There was also early indications that McCann was the piece the Pens wanted the most and that Rutherford's position was McCann had to be part, but that doesn't mean they didn't want Bjugstad as well - iirc it came out they'd been kicking tires on him for a bit, just that then the tide changed and Florida were willing to lower their price and include McCann if it got rid of a decent chunk of cap and they got a decent wad of picks.

Also, possible lies, damn lies and statistics time, but Bjugstad's line dominated the shot clock tonight on a meh possession night in general. Meanwhile Riikola and Marino got lit up.

p.s. tangentially on ZAR - if people believe Yohe, the org are feeling a little underwhelmed by ZAR. So maybe things will go against him. We'll see.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Gudzilla shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as JJ and if Sully was that desperate for POJ he'd have played more than one game.

Obviously they view the kids as "need time in the A" but my point was that if they dress JJ-Guds regularly, their style of play and potential mistakes/non-ability to skate with what Sully's trying to do with his F's will drive him up the wall to the point where he's begging for a kid to come up.
This sorta stretches to MP and Schultz too who aren't the greatest at transition either.

If someone could gif that take by Marino in the 3rd where he grabbed the puck off the right red line wall and danced in for a great chance, i'd be forever grateful.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I actually feel like ZAR reminds me of Zombie Kunitz quite a lot. Frequently frustrating, often unnoticeable, surprisingly good results in terms of production and possession. I feel like he's a higher IQ player than is given credit for and I like the goalscoring ability.

And as such, I don't feel entirely sure I know who ZAR is.

There's a step there if he can play his sometimes quite good games more than sometimes and can stop getting hurt when he gets going - that injury proneness is the big issue. But there were times when I thought he was driving the 4th line last season. I'd be reluctant to move on from that just yet and I damned sure wouldn't do it via waivers because you're giving an okay NHLer to another team for free. Grab the 4th at least people.

That said - 1m 13F isn't great when we're over and there's a bunch of AHL forwards putting their hands up. He needs to do something about that.

I don’t see zombie Kunitz. ZAR isn’t visibly lazy or unable to do things he wants to, he’s just around being dull and effective enough. He doesn’t have the remaining puck skills Kunitz could still use. He’s just a very vanilla and generic player most of the time. I question his IQ. You see him being slow to react to things fairly often but the production makes me think I’ve underestimated it. He gets a lot of ugly and “lucky” goals but the puck is going in and he’s at least not passing it.

Frustrating is a good word for ZAR. He’s absolutely had games where he was great and making things happen. He just doesn’t keep it up either because of injury or not being able to. At this point I’m not sure his body can handle his best play or that he has the motor for it. I could see him doing well on another team and making the Pens looks stupid, though. He’s not waiver material because of that. You at least get a pick and if you’re lucky something like a conditional 3rd.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Obviously they view the kids as "need time in the A" but my point was that if they dress JJ-Guds regularly, their style of play and potential mistakes/non-ability to skate with what Sully's trying to do with his F's will drive him up the wall to the point where he's begging for a kid to come up.
This sorta stretches to MP and Schultz too who aren't the greatest at transition either.

If someone could gif that take by Marino in the 3rd where he grabbed the puck off the right red line wall and danced in for a great chance, i'd be forever grateful.

He'll be begging Rutherford to trade a forward for a dman so he can have a surefire thing on the 3rd and be happy to use the kids as injury call ups if things go well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The first press reports made it sound a lot like they saw McCann as the 3C and Bjugstad as a RW.

There was also early indications that McCann was the piece the Pens wanted the most and that Rutherford's position was McCann had to be part, but that doesn't mean they didn't want Bjugstad as well - iirc it came out they'd been kicking tires on him for a bit, just that then the tide changed and Florida were willing to lower their price and include McCann if it got rid of a decent chunk of cap and they got a decent wad of picks.

Also, possible lies, damn lies and statistics time, but Bjugstad's line dominated the shot clock tonight on a meh possession night in general. Meanwhile Riikola and Marino got lit up.

p.s. tangentially on ZAR - if people believe Yohe, the org are feeling a little underwhelmed by ZAR. So maybe things will go against him. We'll see.

I guess my issue with Bjugstad is he has a lot of Sutter tendencies in his game and he was easily our worst forward in the playoffs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He'll be begging Rutherford to trade a forward for a dman so he can have a surefire thing on the 3rd and be happy to use the kids as injury call ups if things go well.

Have you been watching these kids play?
They are on a different level of prospect.
They are like better MP's coming into the fold where they know they can help right away but are gonna season them in the A to start.
For how long....will be seen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They probably gave him specific goals for the preseason that aren’t what people are going to rave about or notice. And it’s not like I’m in love with the player, I just don’t put much stock into these games, especially for vets.

This is definitely possible, I was really hoping Bjugstad would regularly kill penalties so I'm happy to hear that from Sullivan. That's one thing they need out of him, he's dramatically more useful in a 3C spot if he can kill penalties.

Reactions: Turin

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Wait. Better versions of Pettersson are you serious?

Marino looks to be way better offensively than MP.

I have no idea what he is overall though yet, in fact, the jury is still out on MP as well. However, Marino is showing to have that gift for jumping into the play and being a fourth fwd that this team desperately needs. MP doesn’t really provide that dynamic.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like POJ is a very similar player to Pettersson, both in upside and play style. Both are puck moving, 2-way playmaking defenseman that can skate well and have great reaches. Marino remains a wildcard to me, his offense was limited in college but he was also behind Walsh and Fox in Harvard. He hasn't gotten a chance to show his offensive game much, but I have a feeling he may end up in the same group as POJ and Pettersson. Either way, those are pretty much the perfect type of defenseman for the NHL today, so I'm happy if they end up 3 very similar players.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I feel like POJ is a very similar player to Pettersson, both in upside and play style. Both are puck moving, 2-way playmaking defenseman that can skate well and have great reaches. Marino remains a wildcard to me, his offense was limited in college but he was also behind Walsh and Fox in Harvard. He hasn't gotten a chance to show his offensive game much, but I have a feeling he may end up in the same group as POJ and Pettersson. Either way, those are pretty much the perfect type of defenseman for the NHL today, so I'm happy if they end up 3 very similar players.

Yeah POJ looks like he has NHL tools to me. Just needs some seasoning in WBS.

As far as Bjugstad goes I think he's the type of guy that is always going to be hard to appreciate. He's not going to light up the scoreboard. However, if he can just be a big two-way player and play a solid possession game for us and score 30-40 points I think there is value in that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I have no idea what he is overall though yet, in fact, the jury is still out on MP as well. However, Marino is showing to have that gift for jumping into the play and being a fourth fwd that this team desperately needs. MP doesn’t really provide that dynamic.

Brady Skjei
Vince Dunn
Jaccob Slavin
Matt Niskanen
Shayne Gostisbehere
Jason Demers
Marcus Pettersson

These are comparable stat lines at 22 to what Petts just did in his second year. (1000+ mins, 50% CF, 18+ Es. Points.) I’ve got to seriously disagree with your assessment of Petts offensively. Could see him putting up 40 points if him and Schultz are paired together all season.

And Petts was jumping up into the rush making plays regularly after being paired with Guds.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think for a damn second POJ could come in and play the way Pets played last year. Absolutely not. No way. Preseason is WAAAY different than a full NHL season. Pets becoming underrated again.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
How was Marino today? missed the game.

Even The Hockey Guy could only point to one Pens player who might have the “it” factor, and that’s who he singled out...I can’t believe he’s that dedicated to hockey that he watched and reviewed this game without having a rooting interest ...lol

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I guess my issue with Bjugstad is he has a lot of Sutter tendencies in his game and he was easily our worst forward in the playoffs.
I do see Sutter but Sutter wasn't that bad just blah. That line needs a play maker.

Bjug has a great shot. I simeone just has to set that up in the slot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Brady Skjei
Vince Dunn
Jaccob Slavin
Matt Niskanen
Shayne Gostisbehere
Jason Demers
Marcus Pettersson

These are comparable stat lines at 22 to what Petts just did in his second year. (1000+ mins, 50% CF, 18+ Es. Points.) I’ve got to seriously disagree with your assessment of Petts offensively. Could see him putting up 40 points if him and Schultz are paired together all season.

And Petts was jumping up into the rush making plays regularly after being paired with Guds.

MP gets a little too overrated around here. He’s never been a big point producer anywhere he’s played.

He has a decent to nice first pass and some offensive instincts, but let’s slow our roll on what he actually is. He has never shown to be the kind of guy that can consistently lead a rush and be a rover that creates chaos and mismatches below the circles.

His ceiling looks to be Dumo with a little more offense.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Pretty much this.
P-O looks like another MP really with potential to be a smidge more offensive.
....SOON...i suppose.
Watch Sully stick with his guys and goes down with the ship and Velluci comes up with his gang mid-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad