GDT: Pre-season game 3: Golden Knights @ Sharks 7pm “Streamed” on Sharks.nhl.com

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Regardless of rust, I genuinely wonder if Jumbo can handle top line minutes. Wouldn’t mind them putting the Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi line back together. That line was great last year. That would also drop Jumbo down to 3rd line center which solves another issue. That being said, more than fair to give Kane and the two Joes a couple weeks to see how it goes.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The only real concern I have (at least fot now) is the decision to put Kane on tthe PP. I understand it wasn't quite our full roster but it was still suprising. We know he isn't any good there.

its not concerning or surprising at all considering half the power play unit didn't even play last night or the other 2 nights. and all of the he is not very good stuff comes from buffalo and winnipeg where he had to be pretty much the entire power play. deboer would truely be a idiot if he doesn't try him in that spot without any consequences from doing so.

Reactions: Phu

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
its not concerning or surprising at all considering half the power play unit didn't even play last night or the other 2 nights. and all of the he is not very good stuff comes from buffalo and winnipeg where he had to be pretty much the entire power play. deboer would truely be a idiot if he doesn't try him in that spot without any consequences from doing so.

Buffalo had the best power play in the NHL when Kane scored 3 goals and 8 assists on the power play. There were 6 players on that Sabres squad who had more than twice as many power play points as Kane and only one of them doubled him up in TOI. He is poor on the PP.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
went to the game last night.

So impressed by hertl! He was beastly, and the whole line was dominant. They will be alot to handle especially with burns or karlsson out there too. Looking forward to watching them....

Burns looked awesome too. He is as dominant as ever. God help other teams trying to stop him and karlsson. Wow. just wow.

Jumbo's legs looked OK, but everything else was so bad, I could hardly recognize it. Capped off by the worst shootout attempt Ive ever seen. I guess the first game in 9 months is gunna be rough, but he has two weeks to figure it out. If that game was any indication, he will be a massive liability.

Kane was flat bad too. His defensive play is also suspect. If those two are on a line, they are going to get lit up big time unless they figure something out. One preseason game means little, but they were -3, shoulda been -4 with a goal against in the OT, and were so bad, it was hard to watch.

That line needs at least 2 more preseason games to get in shape. Otherwise, its gunna be shufflin' time. Perhaps putting Jumbo with the fins and Labanc with Joe and Kane would make some sense. And if jumbo becomes a real liability, then put him in protected PP minutes and 4th line.

We'll see how it goes...

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I wouldn't mind seeing Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi reunited if Jumbo continues to struggle.

Hertl - Couture - Labanc/Meier
Kane - Pavelski - Donskoi
Meier/Labanc - Thornton - Rick Nash
Sorensen - Suomela - Goodrow

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, if Burns and the Couture-Hertl-Meier line play as well as they did last night, and Karlsson comes as expected, the team will probably be fine even if Kaner and the Joes stink it up for the majority of the season. I haven't seen Burns play like that in a while.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
When I step back and take a look at the cold hard numbers, I find myself mostly “meh” on Jones. He posts league average or slightly better than average numbers in the regular season, and posts strong numbers in the playoffs. His contract is pricey but it’s also about 12th in be NHL so it’s like, whatever. Not a big deal.

But when I watch him, I’m just like “man, this guy sucks.” It’s just honestly how I feel. I look back at the numbers, and I use my best logic, and I feel like “yeah, this guy is good. He’s not great, nothing crazy, but he’s good.” And after an entire summer of not watching hockey, I find myself feeling like he’s a pretty solid goalie on a decent contract that might be a marginal overpayment. But I watch Jones and I remember that my honest feeling on him is that he sucks. It’s just how my gut feels about Jones. Maybe it’s not right but I have absolutely no confidence in Jones and my brain just tells me “this guy sucks”.

Do any of you feel the same way? Like Jones’ numbers are satisfactory at worst but you watch him and just feel like he sucks?

Also, that was an incredible play by Hertl.

Nope

His playoff numbers speak for themselves

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This. What an awful thread to read a day later

Jumbo has not played during most of 2018, of course he would be rusty

Some of the panic here is :laugh:

I think it is definitely an over-reaction given how long he has been away from real contact hockey. Another thing is that given how well Kane-Pavs-Donskoi played in the last off-season, I think Jumbo could most definitely be moved to 3C if he appears to have slowed down considerably for top-6 minutes. The only concern there is PDB's stubborness to not do so and keep Jumbo on the top-6.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think it is definitely an over-reaction given how long he has been away from real contact hockey. Another thing is that given how well Kane-Pavs-Donskoi played in the last off-season, I think Jumbo could most definitely be moved to 3C if he appears to have slowed down considerably for top-6 minutes. The only concern there is PDB's stubborness to not do so and keep Jumbo on the top-6.

The Joe's should both play 3rd line...at least during the regular season. The Sharks need them for a few more years and if DeBoer continues to abuse them the way he did it with Pavelski last season then they both aren't gonna last very long. Kane is a bad fit for them anyway and should play with Couture.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The Joe's should both play 3rd line...at least during the regular season. The Sharks need them for a few more years and if DeBoer continues to abuse them the way he did it with Pavelski last season then they both aren't gonna last very long. Kane is a bad fit for them anyway and should play with Couture.
There is no reason for Pavs to play the 3rd line. Jumbo, maybe, if he keeps at the same level as the 1st game he has played in months, which I really doubt he will. Also, if you do move Joes to the 3rd line what would your 2nd line be?

Hertl-Couture-Kane
Meier-??-Donskoi

I don't think there is a C on the team outside of one of the Joes that could fit into that 2C role, unless you split up Couture and Hertl, which I really do not think we should. I think if the Joes do need to be split up then you roll with a top-9 of:

Hertl-Couture-Meier
Kane-Pavs-Donskoi
??-Jumbo-Labanc --> Not a big fan of this line unless we can get either of Jumbo or Labanc to shoot more

We definitely have options so lets just see what happens as the season progresses.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There is no reason for Pavs to play the 3rd line. Jumbo, maybe, if he keeps at the same level as the 1st game he has played in months, which I really doubt he will. Also, if you do move Joes to the 3rd line what would your 2nd line be?

Hertl-Couture-Kane
Meier-??-Donskoi

I don't think there is a C on the team outside of one of the Joes that could fit into that 2C role, unless you split up Couture and Hertl, which I really do not think we should. I think if the Joes do need to be split up then you roll with a top-9 of:

Hertl-Couture-Meier
Kane-Pavs-Donskoi
??-Jumbo-Labanc --> Not a big fan of this line unless we can get either of Jumbo or Labanc to shoot more

We definitely have options so lets just see what happens as the season progresses.

I still wanna separate Couture and Hertl. For example:

Meier, Hertl, Donskoi
Kane, Couture, Labanc
Radil, Thornton, Pavelski
Sorensen, Goodrow, Praplan
Suomela, Karlsson

Others played 82 games and 20mins per until the bitter end...but that's not the ideal model. Players last much longer if used wisely. If needes you can still give the Joe's heavier workloads when it actually matters or if injuries start creeping in. The way Pavelski got abused last season he's gonna be done in no time...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I still wanna separate Couture and Hertl. For example:

Meier, Hertl, Donskoi
Kane, Couture, Labanc
Radil, Thornton, Pavelski
Sorensen, Goodrow, Praplan
Suomela, Karlsson

Others played 82 games and 20mins per until the bitter end...but that's not the ideal model. Players last much longer if used wisely. If needes you can still give the Joe's heavier workloads when it actually matters or if injuries start creeping in. The way Pavelski got abused last season he's gonna be done in no time...

So you want to split up Hertl and Couture to basically ice 3 2nd lines? Not a fan of that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So you want to split up Hertl and Couture to basically ice 3 2nd lines? Not a fan of that.

Can't have enough depth. Plus, that Hertl line would be almost impossible to play against because they'd mostly have the puck against any line. The ideal shutdown unit.

Sharks don't have a proper 1st line, no matter how you line the forwards (maybe borderline if you put Pavelski and Couture on one line) up and having Couture on the shutdown unit doesn't make any sense to me. Donskoi can do the same in that regard and maybe even better. He's stronger on the puck and as long as you have the puck your opponents cannot score.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Kane’s best NHL seasons are literally all in contract years, but our guys expect him to perform better after signing a seven year, $49M deal?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Kane’s best NHL seasons are literally all in contract years, but our guys expect him to perform better after signing a seven year, $49M deal?
40-50 points and sticking up for his teammates works for me. If Hertl, Couture and Meier stay together that’s where we should expect career years.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
40-50 points and sticking up for his teammates works for me. If Hertl, Couture and Meier stay together that’s where we should expect career years.

40-50 points and “sticking up for his teammates” would be embarrassingly bad for a guy making $7M.

If Kane were making $5M per over four years, I’d have zero problem.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
40-50 points and “sticking up for his teammates” would be embarrassingly bad for a guy making $7M.

If Kane were making $5M per over four years, I’d have zero problem.
I’m just trying to be realistic, which you are too I think. We can’t change his contract now, so I’m trying to keep my expectations reasonable.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m just trying to be realistic, which you are too I think. We can’t change his contract now, so I’m trying to keep my expectations reasonable.

I do think your expectations are realistic. I expect the same thing you expect. But it pisses me off that Kane makes so much money until the end of time when it could come in the way of us retaining Karlsson and Pavelski.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I do think your expectations are realistic. I expect the same thing you expect. But it pisses me off that Kane makes so much money until the end of time when it could come in the way of us retaining Karlsson and Pavelski.

While I think 50 points is kind of realistic for Kane, we are forgetting that he had 14 points in 17 games with the Sharks last season. He also had 5 points in 9 playoff games. Plus he adds physicality as a PF. He has not looked stellar this pre-season but neither has Pavs or Jumbo. Lets let him play one full season with the Sharks before we start worrying about it.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

Never a fan of Kane, and was never a fan of the extension, anything below 55-60 points from him is going to be a massive let down, and I think you're accurate with your point totals.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don’t think his contract will have any effect on their attempt to retain Karlsson. Pavelski on the other hand, it would be really dumb to lose their Captain because they paid Kane too much. However, I just can’t see them letting Pavelski walk unless he asks for 5 years and 7 million +. Melker, Braun and Dillon are the likely cap casualties if Karlsson re-signs. Timo and Labanc have to take bridge deals and it’s hard to get a read on Donskoi’s next contract since he can’t stay healthy. Is Kane getting too much for what he brings? Yeah, probably. Although, I just have a hard time believing Doug will let better and more dynamic players leave because of Kane’s contract.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don’t think his contract will have any effect on their attempt to retain Karlsson. Pavelski on the other hand, it would be really dumb to lose their Captain because they paid Kane too much. However, I just can’t see them letting Pavelski walk unless he asks for 5 years and 7 million +. Melker, Braun and Dillon are the likely cap casualties if Karlsson re-signs. Timo and Labanc have to take bridge deals and it’s hard to get a read on Donskoi’s next contract since he can’t stay healthy. Is Kane getting too much for what he brings? Yeah, probably. Although, I just have a hard time believing Doug will let better and more dynamic players leave because of Kane’s contract.
I totally agree with pretty much all of this.

I think EK65 getting re-signed is not something I am even remotely concerned about from a cap or $$ perspective. The day he tell DW that he is ready to re-sign, DW will make it work. Pavs is definitely a bigger concern but I with Karlsson, Braun and Dillon being more expendable I see that as do-able too. Also, Jumbo will most likely take a big pay cut if both sides agree to bring him back for 2019-20.

I can see Donskoi being a cap casualty for next year though. I see him totally want more money but given his injury history I don't think we will match his demands. Timo and Labanc most likely sign bridge deals like you said. Goodrow probably gets a slight raise. Ryan is going to be interesting. If he has a breakout season he may get a bigger raise.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad