GDT: Pre-season game 3: Golden Knights @ Sharks 7pm “Streamed” on Sharks.nhl.com

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Kane disappears in the playoffs and we’re giving him the injury excuse and venerating a 17 game stretch during which the majority of his goals were scored against the Calgary Flames.

I have no idea what Kane has done to earn such undying loyalty around here.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Kane disappears in the playoffs and we’re giving him the injury excuse and venerating a 17 game stretch during which the majority of his goals were scored against the Calgary Flames.

Well, i'm not sure where you are getting "disappears in the playoffs", considering he has only had one year of playoff experience and scored 4+1 in 9 games. The series he struggled with was Vegas, and everyone struggled in that series. Fluery was the difference maker. If anything, let's hold off on playoff labels until after the dude has played, at least, more than 10 games. How about after next season?

And i don't think it's loyalty, but rather optimism. Kane came in and played well, and by all accounts he was fired up to be in SJ and play for a winning team. if he is optimistic, why should we as fans be anything else? especially when he performed at a level to maintain optimism

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Well, i'm not sure where you are getting "disappears in the playoffs", considering he has only had one year of playoff experience and scored 4+1 in 9 games. The series he struggled with was Vegas, and everyone struggled in that series. Fluery was the difference maker. If anything, let's hold off on playoff labels until after the dude has played, at least, more than 10 games. How about after next season?

And i don't think it's loyalty, but rather optimism. Kane came in and played well, and by all accounts he was fired up to be in SJ and play for a winning team. if he is optimistic, why should we as fans be anything else? especially when he performed at a level to maintain optimism

Two of Kane’s goals came in one game, and that game he was not particularly good outside the two goals (I remember this specifically). After that game, he had 3 points in 9 games. That’s really bad. Saying “everyone struggled versus Vegas”, aside from being untrue because Couture and Hertl were just fine, isn’t really any kind of defense of Kane.

Kane came in, scored in bunches against bad teams, got injured, and was completely useless from then on and into the playoffs. That’s pretty much been his MO in the NHL. He was the ONLY Shark we heard anything about injury-wise, which is telling, because we heard it from Kane himself. No other Shark excused themselves because of injuries. You’re entirely welcome to be optimistic that that will change, but I’m not, and my realistic opinion is just as valid as your optimistic one. That’s all I’m saying.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Can we please shut the f*** up about kane? Literally nothing can change about his contract now, so no sense f***ing crying over and over about it. The best thing that can happen now is he plays up to that contract whether he is expected to or not. That is ALL we as Sharks fans should be hoping for. Otherwise we're just being naysaying f***heads.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Two of Kane’s goals came in one game, and that game he was not particularly good outside the two goals (I remember this specifically). After that game, he had 3 points in 9 games. That’s really bad. Saying “everyone struggled versus Vegas”, aside from being untrue because Couture and Hertl were just fine, isn’t really any kind of defense of Kane.

Kane came in, scored in bunches against bad teams, got injured, and was completely useless from then on and into the playoffs. That’s pretty much been his MO in the NHL. He was the ONLY Shark we heard anything about injury-wise, which is telling, because we heard it from Kane himself. No other Shark excused themselves because of injuries. You’re entirely welcome to be optimistic that that will change, but I’m not, and my realistic opinion is just as valid as your optimistic one. That’s all I’m saying.

Your math is incorrect, but that doesnt negate the fact that you are picking from an extremely small sample size of 9 games and are throwing a negative label on him.

It's incredibly clear you dislike Kane a person and as a player on the Sharks. Throwing hyperbole out to attack him in the preseason is just a waste of time. This isnt Kent Huskins or even Boedker. This is #4 pick who very obviously has immense talent, who played his entire career on dogshit teams. Why wouldn't you even have a shred of optimism that he will have a career year playing on a team where 90% of his ice time will be a Norris winner all while will be with the greatest playmaker of his generation?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Your math is incorrect, but that doesnt negate the fact that you are picking from an extremely small sample size of 9 games and are throwing a negative label on him.

It's incredibly clear you dislike Kane a person and as a player on the Sharks. Throwing hyperbole out to attack him in the preseason is just a waste of time. This isnt Kent Huskins or even Boedker. This is #4 pick who very obviously has immense talent, who played his entire career on dog**** teams. Why wouldn't you even have a shred of optimism that he will have a career year playing on a team where 90% of his ice time will be a Norris winner all while will be with the greatest playmaker of his generation?

So I missed one game, my bad. Doesn’t mean anything is wrong with my argument.

Which part of my argument do you take issue to?

1. Kane’s two career best seasons have both come in contract years.

2. Kane is injured a whole lot.

3. Kane beat up on bad teams in the regular season with us last year (he scored 2 points against playoff teams total).

4. Kane was not effective in the playoffs with us.

Please, this board needs to stop getting big mad just because someone’s isn’t super optimistic about a player.

Again, if Kane were making $5M per for four years, I wouldn’t be upset about it. He is the only forward in the cap era to make $7M per despite never having scored 60 points in a season.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

3. Kane beat up on bad teams in the regular season with us last year (he scored 2 points against playoff teams total).

Please, this board needs to stop getting big mad just because someone’s isn’t super optimistic about a player.

Again, if Kane were making $5M per for four years, I wouldn’t be upset about it. He is the only forward in the cap era to make $7M per despite never having scored 60 points in a season.

1 game....out of 9. what it does is further show that 9 games is not enough to cast a label out there

Im not upset with an individual part of your argument, it's the approach as a whole. I dont understand pessimism about a player and his contract who hasnt played a game under that contract yet.

For the record, your proposed contract is much better, not arguing that.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

C'mon... Seriously? He's been in the playoffs once and you've determined he disappears as though he has some long history of it? I agree with so much of what you post but your Kane hate flies in the face of all the other well thought out positions you take. I am optimistic that you and the few other Debbie Downers will be eating crow by the end of the season.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'd be curious to know what cap percentage Coutures previous contract was when he signed compared to Kane's for this year...

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
God am i really gonna have to listen everytine kane underperforms because he makes 2 mill too much? Really?

And lol at dissapears in the playoffs because his 5 in 9 didnt come in 5 separate games.

Im not gonna sit here and expect he gets 60 but a lot depends on how much he scores 5v5.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I do think your expectations are realistic. I expect the same thing you expect. But it pisses me off that Kane makes so much money until the end of time when it could come in the way of us retaining Karlsson and Pavelski.

Some people just cannot be happy. I knew the minute Kane had a bad game all the crybabies would come out again with their worn out speculative arguments. I did not expect it to happen from a pre-season game. We traded for Karlsson, our D is the best it's ever been and we have some real solid forward depth and talent too. Can we wait til maybe the quarter mark of the season before we start crying?

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
While I think 50 points is kind of realistic for Kane, we are forgetting that he had 14 points in 17 games with the Sharks last season. He also had 5 points in 9 playoff games. Plus he adds physicality as a PF. He has not looked stellar this pre-season but neither has Pavs or Jumbo. Lets let him play one full season with the Sharks before we start worrying about it.

Kane will be fine. The few people here who have the loudest voice against Kane tend to favor undersized skill players and not care about physicality and the other aspects of the game Kane brings. If Kane scores 25+ goals and 50-55 points while provided physical play and generated shots/opportunities I'm more than fine paying him what he's getting. He wants to be in SJ, he is talented, young and has untapped potential due to poor teams/circumstances in his past. I have faith that he'll be having career years in SJ.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

You are repeating yourself. Nothing has changed or can change about the situation until the season starts and moves along. We don't want to listen to negative shit about the team repeatedly when nothing can possibly have changed. It's cheap and irritating.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
This issue with Kane is less his scoring and more his defensive play. If he is gunna line up with pavs, who is slower though defensively sound, he is gunna need to beat opposing Dmen and get pucks out on the point. And if Jumbo is the 3rd, who is really a big question mark, it makes kane's 2-way play that much more important.

I will be looking at his compete level, not just pushing and shoving, but winning board battles, backchecking hard, aiding the breakout, and competing in all three zones. In the game sat night, Jumbo was so bad, but Kaner got a D- too, and the line was -3 including a shortie.

What makes cooch so good, is not the 34 goals, or the good attitude, but his play on the PK and his two-way mentality. His defensive game is wholly underrated. It's why losing Tierney is a bigger loss than many seem to see given that he had 'just' 40 points.

The offense should be there with Burns and Karlsson and a solid forward crew. They scored 4 goals saturday. They should be able to score some goals. The key this year will largely be not allowing them. This is the area where a jumbo-pavs-kane line can get lit up by a marchessault-karlsson-smith line all day long.

The proof will be in the goals against.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013

There is a difference from not being "super optimistic" on a player and throwing out things like "Kane is lazy and doesn't care now that he got paid". I'm pretty sure everyone knows where you stand on him, don't need to repeat your negative thoughts on him in every thread.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
You are repeating yourself. Nothing has changed or can change about the situation until the season starts and moves along. We don't want to listen to negative **** about the team repeatedly when nothing can possibly have changed. It's cheap and irritating.
Her issue with Kane before he resigned was the, now dismissed, court case against him alleging that he grabbed and pushed 3 women during an altercation at a bar in Buffalo years ago. The charges were dropped once video surveillance from the bar were released proving Kane did not do those things he was accused of. But Jux won't recognize that the charges against him were completely dropped

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
And here I hoped when the Kane thread got buried the Kane is a problem talk would die down.

Let's at least wait until he plays some regular season games before judgimg his effectiveness

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Look, I hold our players to a pretty high standard and I've been known to be pretty outspoken against people I think are disgraceful playing for this team *cough* Tores *cough*, but I really don't have any problem with Kane. Being kind of a dick when your young an stupid isn't the same thing as ending people's careers intentionally. He seems to me like he's grown up, is looking for a fresh start, and likes where he is now. The other guys seem to like him, so that's really all I need to know. As stated above, the charges were dismissed against him, and all we can really do is trust that the system worked as it should. If he's abusing women, then he should be ejected into the sun as fast as possible, but there really is no evidence of that, and we can't just assume because someone accused him of something, then dropped it, that he's a scumbag. So until I see some accusations against him hold, and he either admits or is found guilty, it's really a non-issue.

As for his salary, it's a bit high, but if he can put up 60 points this year, I'm fine with it. If he can't, we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You can dislike Kane’s personal antics off the ice or you can not care, I personally don’t care as long as he didn’t actually commit any sexual assault and since it was unproven and the charges were dropped I’ll just remain indifferent towards it until I get other information.

Most of us who complain about Kane are unhappy with his contract and on-ice performance as well as the way that DeBoer uses him.

To my knowledge, Juxtaposer’s current complaints on Kane, particularly those in this thread, are all performance/contract based. If Erik Karlsson was the “problem child”, and Evander Kane was the media darling, her complaints/praise of each respective player’s on-ice performance would remain the same. She can correct me if I am wrong on that one.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd be curious to know what cap percentage Coutures previous contract was when he signed compared to Kane's for this year...

An identical 9.33% according to CF. However, that number is based on his new cap figure into the cap of the season he signed in. Thus it's 7 mil into this past season's 75 mil cap figure.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->