GDT: Pre-Season game 2 Sharks @ Ducks 7pm on NHL network

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I think I'm optimistic because this team clearly has a system in place and thats impressive in preseason. The boys were going for clean entries the majority of time, supporting each other to create layers on both ends of the ice.

Radil should see nhl time. Im willing to wait and see on suomela. But im less than optimistic about the 3c situation. Maybe if i saw him hold the puck, make a good pass but he didnt stand out.

Gambrell has work to do
I like our upper d depth. Heed, simek but man we dug deep into our pool last night.

Meier looked like he was just avoiding injury.

Overall, i like what i see. Especially with no vets.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
One thing is clear, Merkley is not close to ready for the NHL. He's got a lot of work to do to have a chance. He has some skill, for sure, but the decision-maker needs some fine-tuning.

Reactions: anthonyyy

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
One thing is clear, Merkley is not close to ready for the NHL. He's got a lot of work to do to have a chance. He has some skill, for sure, but the decision-maker needs some fine-tuning.
dude's cross ice passing is incredible though. he was hitting guys with long passes no one on the team makes (yet) other than maybe Jumbo. constantly hitting that left wing with huge space.

he probably could have had a couple of assists with a better winger there.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Honestly, he looks like the only disappointment of the preseason. I don't see how he makes the roster over a handful of other guys.

Maybe Gambrell needs some AHL time or something, but I don't see what he brings to the table at all so far. He's a good skater, but he doesn't really seem to do anything else.

Chartier should be the lead contender for the 4C job right now. He looks more polished than he did in the AHL last season, though the injury did him no favors there. Best player of the preseason so far.

Worth mentioning I think, True was the top faceoff guy last night at 89%.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Maybe Gambrell needs some AHL time or something, but I don't see what he brings to the table at all so far. He's a good skater, but he doesn't really seem to do anything else.

Chartier should be the lead contender for the 4C job right now. He looks more polished than he did in the AHL last season, though the injury did him no favors there. Best player of the preseason so far.

Worth mentioning I think, True was the top faceoff guy last night at 89%.

Id dig any combo of radil, goodrow, chartier, praplan, Sorensen. But melker is a surefire starter so who knows

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I thought Gambrell looked fine in his actual NHL season games. He was fast, tenacious in the forecheck, and was effective imo. So what that he didn't impress in two pre-season games, a lot of guys don't.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I thought Gambrell looked fine in his actual NHL season games. He was fast, tenacious in the forecheck, and was effective imo. So what that he didn't impress in two pre-season games, a lot of guys don't.

Well, he needs to impress to make the team this year. It looks like Suomela and Chartier have the inside track for the center spots that will actually play and they may not let anyone be an extra other than the guys they already have like Sorensen, Goodrow, and Karlsson so for him it should be a big deal because it means making less money in the AHL until he does impress.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Well, he needs to impress to make the team this year. It looks like Suomela and Chartier have the inside track for the center spots that will actually play and they may not let anyone be an extra other than the guys they already have like Sorensen, Goodrow, and Karlsson so for him it should be a big deal because it means making less money in the AHL until he does impress.

Fair point. I guess it’s just too small a sample size to write him off. He impressed enough to get some games with the big boys and had Fehr not played above and beyond I think he would have played more.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Maybe it’s just me, but I thought Gambrell was noticeably better last night. Still shouldn’t beat out Chartier or True unless he significantly improves though.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I think Merkley's been impressive. Not NHL ready but the talent is there. No point in rushing him.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Maybe it’s just me, but I thought Gambrell was noticeably better last night. Still shouldn’t beat out Chartier or True unless he significantly improves though.
Gambrell was Ok last night, better than the first game. Chartier has been on another level and brings a level of skill missing in the other candidates. True brings size and defense but with Chartier you have the possibility of playing a 4th line that functions like a 3b. I see no problem sending Gambrell down, let him season with the Cuda.

Reactions: Lebanezer

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I've been impressed with all 3 of the "Wait, who?" prospects brought in from Europe. Our European scouts are almost singlehandedly keeping our organizational depth as a strength.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I've been impressed with all 3 of the "Wait, who?" prospects brought in from Europe. Our European scouts are almost singlehandedly keeping our organizational depth as a strength.

Glad you pointed this out.
The Sharks are very good at building up our depth and it’s looking good. Not simply through drafting.
I really like how DW snags drafted players from other teams. That’s gold.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I’m assuming you’re talking about Praplan, Suomela, and Radil?

Honestly, how much credit does the Sharks scouting staff really deserve for them? Suomela and Radil both had impressive scoring rates in their most recent seasons and Praplan’s was respectable as well. All 3 of them are no brainer signings if the players are interested in signing.

I think DW deserves more credit for getting them to sign here, TBH.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I'm obviously a huge Merkley fan but he just hasn't looked good in the two preseason games. He just turned 18 though so it's pretty unrealistic to expect him to be anything close to NHL-ready at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad