Post-Game Talk: Pre-Post season Oilers 4, Flames 1

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
Still crazy to me that this is Bear's first full season. So calm and composed. He'll be our best defenceman soon if he isn't already
He isnt our best Dman right now, ludicrous to even think that especially when you remember how badly he was faltering prior to the shutdown. In the future though you might be right.

He kind of reminds me of Rafalski at times.

Either way though hats off to the kid for coming to camp dedicated and excelling, it's been far too long since the Oilers drafted a kid that has exceeded his draft position. Even if he doesnt get a lot better he's already outperformed his draft position by miles.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He isnt our best Dman right now, ludicrous to even think that especially when you remember how badly he was faltering prior to the shutdown. In the future though you might be right.

Either way though hats off to the kid for coming to camp dedicated and excelling, it's been far too long since the Oilers drafted a kid that has exceeded his draft position. Even if he doesnt get a lot better he's already outperformed his draft position by miles.
Bear is easily our 2nd best Dman after Klefbom.
Still has to round out his game offensively but in our own end he is as good as they get.

Holland should be worried about his next contract. He isn't going to be cheap even on a bridge deal.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
That's definitely a steep price to pay even though they're low 2nd rounders in the Oilers case. High draft picks are valuable capital especially in a cap league and it's vital for a team like the Oilers with a high end salary structure to stock the farm with cheap young talent.

I have no problem with the trade in theory as I liked, and was surprised, by Holland's aggressive win now approach but ideally, you want a top 6 forward if you're dealing two 2nds.
Look at Ennis, 5th rounder for a guy who has been a little more impactful thus far.

AA is a top 6 forward though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Bear IMO is easily our best all around defenseman. I would go as far as to say that outside of Jones, he is our only competent offensive defenseman. I know that Klef puts up numbers on the PP because he plays that role wisely and distributes the puck, but overall Bear is by far a more skilled and dynamic offensive player.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
IMO its only a matter of time before RNH gets moved back to Drai line and one of Ennis or Neal to top line.

Neal-Khaira-Chiasson seems good in theory but Neal seems to have the jump that can be maximized on McDavid line.

Neal-McD-Kass
Nuge-Drai-Yama
Ennis-Khaira-Chiasson
AA-Haas-Archibald

I hope you're right. Ennis kills that second line. He's a nice piece for the bottom 6, but he just doesn't work on that line for whatever reason. If Ennis stays on the second line, we risk reverting to a one-line team. Hopefully Tippett realizes this within the next few days before bullets fly for real.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Bear was by far our best defenceman last night. Kid's going to be a stud. I can't wait until he gets top PP time.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why? Shouldnt he have to put up points 5v5 first? I'd be fine with him in a limited role on PP2, but he can't be anywhere near PP1.
He did put up 21 points without PP time. I don't mean just right away. After another season maybe, if he has a great year. We don't have a second PP unit. It gets 20 seconds of ice time

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Rewatching the game right now as I was a bit busy with work for most of the 2nd and 3rd period last night couldn’t watch it as closely as I wanted to.

McDavid was barely trying and just dazzling almost every shift. This game was quite physical and a good test. Ethan Bear looked outstanding, our best D man by a considerable margin.

That no look McDavid goal was ridiculous even the next day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad