Post-Game Talk: Pre-Post season Oilers 4, Flames 1

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
IMO its only a matter of time before RNH gets moved back to Drai line and one of Ennis or Neal to top line.

Neal-Khaira-Chiasson seems good in theory but Neal seems to have the jump that can be maximized on McDavid line.

Neal-McD-Kass
Nuge-Drai-Yama
Ennis-Khaira-Chiasson
AA-Haas-Archibald

I dint think they should break up the Draisaitl line either. The playoffs aren’t a time to be experimenting with lines but for next season I’d try AA-McDavid-Neal. For the playoffs I’d keep McDavid-Kassian together and just see what LW works best.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I like how they social distance in post game interviews after sharing a bench and hugging during the game.

I guess you can’t be to careful.

:laugh:

I was thinking the exact same thing. The reporters I get but these guys just spent the last 5 hours together in close proximity.

Anyways...
With the Oilers taking the foot off the gas for half the game, I thought Smith bailed the team out. He came in off the bench and made two big stops and a third that got him in the mask off a deflection. Then the save he made off Bennett on the 2 on 1 preserved the victory in the third. I missed the first (I was roasting marshmallows and making s'mores with my kids on the side burner of the bbq-lol) and part of the 2nd so I didn't see Koskinen much. What I had read to get caught up in the GDT sounded like he had a solid start as well.

The goaltending really bolstered my confidence. A four month layoff and played well.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I was thinking the exact same thing. The reporters I get but these guys just spent the last 5 hours together in close proximity.

Anyways...
With the Oilers taking the foot off the gas for half the game, I thought Smith bailed the team out. He came in off the bench and made two big stops and a third that got him in the mask off a deflection. Then the save he made off Bennett on the 2 on 1 preserved the victory in the third. I missed the first (I was roasting marshmallows and making s'mores with my kids on the side burner of the bbq-lol) and part of the 2nd so I didn't see Koskinen much. What I had read to get caught up in the GDT sounded like he had a solid start as well.

The goaltending really bolstered my confidence. A four month layoff and played well.

You’re such a dedicated dad. Kudos!

Reactions: McFuhryous

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's definitely a steep price to pay even though they're low 2nd rounders in the Oilers case. High draft picks are valuable capital especially in a cap league and it's vital for a team like the Oilers with a high end salary structure to stock the farm with cheap young talent.

I have no problem with the trade in theory as I liked, and was surprised, by Holland's aggressive win now approach but ideally, you want a top 6 forward if you're dealing two 2nds.
Look at Ennis, 5th rounder for a guy who has been a little more impactful thus far.

They have him under team control for two more years than Ennis.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
That's definitely a steep price to pay even though they're low 2nd rounders in the Oilers case. High draft picks are valuable capital especially in a cap league and it's vital for a team like the Oilers with a high end salary structure to stock the farm with cheap young talent.

I have no problem with the trade in theory as I liked, and was surprised, by Holland's aggressive win now approach but ideally, you want a top 6 forward if you're dealing two 2nds.
Look at Ennis, 5th rounder for a guy who has been a little more impactful thus far.

Holland said it well: No risk, no gain.

Consider what players were going for at the deadline. Guy like Blake Coleman, never hit 30 goals, traded for a 1st round pick. Barclay Goodrow goes for a 1st. Brady Skjei, JG Pageau, Ondrej Kase.

If you're a true contender, maybe you're more interested in a sure thing, somebody with more experience, who can fit in right away. The price of that is higher. The Oilers aren't true contenders, they're already exceeding expectations this year. Hollands thinking around this trade, and the value given up seem very sound when viewed in context.

Consider Athanasiou as an asset. 30 goal scorer, younger than all those guys save Kase, and still an RFA. Even if he can't find his game this playoffs, there's still tons of race track, and if you have to recoup assets, he'd fetch at least a 2nd on the market. So you're paying a 2nd rounder to roll the dice on a speedy, top 6, 30 goal scorer? I'd take that risk all day.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not afraid of any of those teams. Let them come. I think this is the year the Oilers make it far.

The Avs in particular terrify me. They're just so deep. I thought our bottom six was outmatched last night and the Avs bottom six kicks the shit out of the Flames'.

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
Koskinen looked like a top 10 goalie last night, as he often does. Smith looked fine, but I think there's a drop-off from Koskinen to Smith.

Reactions: fresh meat

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

Anyways...

Koskinen diving back across the net after Broberg stopped a for sure goal was really good to see from him. Obviously you dont need a giant goalie like Koskinen flying around all night, but it showed an important desperation that sometimes is missing from his game.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
EeB9bquU4AARR6d

Thank goodness for McDrai Nuge. Imagine if the Oilers had these bun headed bozos.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
You’re such a dedicated dad. Kudos!

LOL, thanks...bear in mind I didn't say they were for them. I ate them all while they watched. :sarcasm:

My boy though, he likes his marshmallows burned to a crisp. I don't know he can eat them like that. Then my daughter grossed him out because she told him it looked like he was eating a bird poop sandwich :biglaugh:.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
LOL, thanks...bear in mind I didn't say they were for them. I ate them all while they watched. :sarcasm:

My boy though, he likes his marshmallows burned to a crisp. I don't know he can eat them like that. Then my daughter grossed him out because she told him it looked like he was eating a bird poop sandwich :biglaugh:.
lol. Still dedicated for missing part of the first Oilers game in 4 months!

Reactions: McFuhryous

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Im really worried about the Chia-Khaira-Neal line
they look absolutely atrocious
hopefully Sheahan and Nygard can replace them

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
full series between Oilers and Flames would be such a gong-show lol
That's what we should be watching instead of the Oil playing the 23rd ranked team. This play in stuff is garbage, if player point totals are good enough to win trophies than team point totals should have been fine for playoff seeding. If you were out of the top 16 you should not be playing right now.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad