WJC: Pre-Game Talk • CAN/RUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What a great ****ing day for hockey fans that don't have to do anything.

My schedule:

1) Watch some U17 gold medal game repeat or something (By the way, any notable prospects to keep an eye on?)
2) Watch bronze medal game
3) Watch gold medal game
4) Watch HBO 24/7
5) Watch Pens game

Oh lordy.. I need to pace myself. :laugh:

The first game is exciting, if you didn't watch it last night then I won't give out the results but it was exciting. You'll enjoy it. Other than that. Drink up! sounds like a great sched. I'm heading down to Maddy's with some friends, play some pool, have a few beers, and enjoy the bronze and gold medal games.

Swiftmask

Jul 12, 2010
Nova Scotia
Sweden 4-2.
Canada 3-1.

Sweden/US will be a better game to watch, imo.
Unfortunately, my dislike of seeing Canada win anything will take the fun out of the Gold Medal Game. Unless Russia wins that is.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Sweden 4-2.
Canada 3-1.

Sweden/US will be a better game to watch, imo.
Unfortunately, my dislike of seeing Canada win anything will take the fun out of the Gold Medal Game. Unless Russia wins that is.
... but you're Canadian?

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Russia winning would better for the future of WJC. Little bit more unpredictability would help to get more people interested in this tournament.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's not up to Canada to lose to garner interest in tournaments, it's up to other nations developing players better. You can talk all you about about population size and Canada having more registered players, but it comes down to, taking those kids that you have and giving them the best opportunity to develop. Canada does it the best with their program of excellence, U.S is starting to develop great elite players with their NTDP. But what the heck are other countries doing. It's easy to say well I hope Russia wins so it garners more interest. If Russia, Finland, Czech's had better programs for their young players then you wouldn't see Canada win 4, 5 championships in a row. Or after tonight 6 in the last 7. It would be more competitive and as a result more interest. Time for other countries to do their part.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Russia winning would better for the future of WJC. Little bit more unpredictability would help to get more people interested in this tournament.

Regardless, this years WJC was extremely close. Sweden beat Russia once, lost once. Sweden beat Canada who is now facing Russia in the finals. Finland narrowly lost to Russia, who is now in the final. Either of Sweden, Canada, Usa, Russia and Finland could've made the final. Even Czech Rep who created more offence against Sweden and was harder to control than one of the finalists; Canada.

I still see Sweden as a superior team to both Russia and Canada though, but if you can't perform when it matters you don't deserve to play for the gold.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Canada does it's part by allowing Euro's to come to the CHL, and play with the best. But for example in Russia you have 17 and 18 year olds playing like 8 to 10 min a night on senior teams...how does that develop your kids? It's a good thing for Kitsyn for transferring to Mississauga. He will now have a chance to play a lot of min on a team that's going to the Memorial Cup. It would be wise if other countries started programs like Canada and the U.S so they can start to develop stars. Having them play on senior clubs while the coach wants to have the best shot at winning, he's not going to play them a lot. Also you're not going to play young players when you have older vets being paid millions to be on the team. It's not good for development.

youngster

Apr 21, 2004
Kingston, ON
Are people sure that it's Lehner who may not be playing rather than Johan Larsson possibly not playing?

Larsson went to the hospital after the game on Monday because he became suddenly very ill in the dressing room.

I can't see Sweden not playing Lehner unless he has an undisclosed injury.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Canada does it's part by allowing Euro's to come to the CHL, and play with the best. But for example in Russia you have 17 and 18 year olds playing like 8 to 10 min a night on senior teams...how does that develop your kids? It's a good thing for Kitsyn for transferring to Mississauga. He will now have a chance to play a lot of min on a team that's going to the Memorial Cup. It would be wise if other countries started programs like Canada and the U.S so they can start to develop stars. Having them play on senior clubs while the coach wants to have the best shot at winning, he's not going to play them a lot. Also you're not going to play young players when you have older vets being paid millions to be on the team. It's not good for development.

It has worked fine for Sweden. It's not so much about starting programs as it is about giving young players the opportunity to play.

Sexington

Feb 6, 2007
Calgary, AB
CAN-RUS - It'll be closer than a lot think, Russia has overcome a lot of adversity in this tournament so they'll be ready for this game.

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
It seems to me that while they are really skilled, the Russian team just doesn't have enough endurance. The Swedes were skating circles around them for the last 30 minutes of that game.

That is something the Canadians will easily exploit, and I don't think it will be close (Prove me wrong, Tarasenko!).

US and Sweden is really up in the air. I think with a full, healthy lineup Sweden would win.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
It seems to me that while they are really skilled, the Russian team just doesn't have enough endurance. The Swedes were skating circles around them for the last 30 minutes of that game.

That is something the Canadians will easily exploit, and I don't think it will be close (Prove me wrong, Tarasenko!).

US and Sweden is really up in the air. I think with a full, healthy lineup Sweden would win.

Only Russia was playing Sweden on the 15 hour rest, son.
:shakehead:help::shakehead

Charlie Milles*

Anyone know if the bronze medal game will be streamed on TSN.ca?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Russia and the majority of European hockey countries have developmental leagues, but thanks:laugh::laugh:

Youg kids from MHL are usually rotated - practice and some time with the seniors can help their developmnet as well, but they key asped - you are right - is playing time, so I almmost wish they don't even come up to the KHL (only for some practice time) and get major minutes in the MHL

cenas*

The countries which best players run to NA to play as kids are the exact countries which programs are in the toilet.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Are people sure that it's Lehner who may not be playing rather than Johan Larsson possibly not playing?

Larsson went to the hospital after the game on Monday because he became suddenly very ill in the dressing room.

I can't see Sweden not playing Lehner unless he has an undisclosed injury.

The reports of Lehner not playing seem to be accurate, as I have now read about it from some respectable Swedish sources. Don't know if it has to do with any health/injury problems, possibly his confidence took a major hit after the loss to Russia...

I've heard about Larsson's health problems, but that kid is a fighter and I hope to see him in this game.

With regards to Canada - Russia, I don't think it'll be determined by endurance but rather defensive play. Against Sweden Russia had some major defensive lapses when Sweden got going in the third period and OT, however they still won. Russia need to keep their defense together against Canada to have a chance to win the game.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
How anyone could think that is puzzling. Despite the media reports and misguided stereotypes associated with each nation, Canada is better offensively and more skilled than Russia.

I remember before the Olympics, everyone was talking about the mighty Russian offense and how they would overwhelm Canada. We all know how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad