Pre-Game Talk: PRE-ECF Thread (B/C Why not?)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The other major factor is that I am hopeful that Dundon is not nearly as cheap as the prior ownership with a deep playoff run staring directly in his face. Hopefully the team is successful for enough years that they finally become a cap team.
That's the nice thing about this team. The 09 team was relatively close to the cap IIRC, and while the cap went up a decent chunk the next year we still lose out on Seids on due to finances more than anything. Not sure if we were spending less than Chicago that year as they kinda came out of nowhere, though I know they were spending a fortune on mediocre goalies. But I know we were spending less than Pittsburgh, Boston, or Detroit that year. If Dundon sees this team as having staying power, and no reason not to as we were the youngest playoff team and IIRC 2nd youngest overall team in the league this year, and the lowest spending team in the league, we'll be able to open it up to keep all our guys and still have room to go out and get a Gus Nyquist type in UFA.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
That's the nice thing about this team. The 09 team was relatively close to the cap IIRC, and while the cap went up a decent chunk the next year we still lose out on Seids on due to finances more than anything. Not sure if we were spending less than Chicago that year as they kinda came out of nowhere, though I know they were spending a fortune on mediocre goalies. But I know we were spending less than Pittsburgh, Boston, or Detroit that year. If Dundon sees this team as having staying power, and no reason not to as we were the youngest playoff team and IIRC 2nd youngest overall team in the league this year, and the lowest spending team in the league, we'll be able to open it up to keep all our guys and still have room to go out and get a Gus Nyquist type in UFA.

Or, as an alternative, take advantage of a cap hell team like the Leafs or the Oilers and take one of their bad contracts for a goodie. I've been beating on the "Get Marleau and a Good Leafs Roster Player" train for a while now, especially now that the Canes are in the ECF and have a playoff-contending roster worthy of a NMC waive. Or perhaps riskier but higher reward, offer-sheet Marner!

Reactions: Unsustainable

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
simply put the economics of the game caused the Canes to trade away Battaglia (for Vrbata) and Kapanen (for Brendl and St Jacques)

My recollection of those trades differs quite a bit from yours. From what I can remember, Kapanen fell off a cliff and we stuck with him for a good long time, thinking/hoping it was simply a slump instead of the new normal for him. But basically overnight he went from a 25 goal, 60 point player to a 10 goal, 30 point player.

Battaglia I remember being the subject of many rumors in terms of his partying and doing Jeff O'Neill things, but unlike O'Neill he wasn't able to maintain a reasonably high level of play while fighting off a hangover from the night before. He too saw a pretty major drop in production and was ever again anywhere close to the player he had been.

These aren't guys we cut out on because we were cheap, they just sucked.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
My mother and I literally just started season 2 today aljdfaldjfladjfaldj.

I've been spoiled about a few big things over the years because I don't live under a rock; but my mother, who doesn't even know what social media is, is comically unspoiled so it's been hilarious.

Anyway, when you wait a Hurricanes-Playoff-Drought amount of years to watch the show like I have, you kind of deserved to be spoiled lol.

TODAY WE HUNT
TODAY WE FEAST.

Today I am more drunk than people in charge.

Last edited:

Skydog

Dec 9, 2002
Cincinnati
Visit site
My recollection of those trades differs quite a bit from yours. From what I can remember, Kapanen fell off a cliff and we stuck with him for a good long time, thinking/hoping it was simply a slump instead of the new normal for him. But basically overnight he went from a 25 goal, 60 point player to a 10 goal, 30 point player.

If I remember correctly he injured his hand pretty badly (I want to say it was caused by a broken stick stabbing his hand but I really can’t remember) and lost his scoring touch. Went from that promising top 6 kind of player to an effective bottom six kind of player. We needed that former.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
My mother and I literally just started season 2 today aljdfaldjfladjfaldj.

I've been spoiled about a few big things over the years because I don't live under a rock; but my mother, who doesn't even know what social media is, is comically unspoiled so it's been hilarious.

Anyway, when you wait a Hurricanes-Playoff-Drought amount of years to watch the show like I have, you kind of deserved to be spoiled lol.
Red. Let’s be honest. I’d love you either way

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Battaglia I remember being the subject of many rumors in terms of his partying and doing Jeff O'Neill things, but unlike O'Neill he wasn't able to maintain a reasonably high level of play while fighting off a hangover from the night before. He too saw a pretty major drop in production and was ever again anywhere close to the player he had been.

These aren't guys we cut out on because we were cheap, they just sucked.
Your recollection on Bates may be better than mine is.

Kapanen I still attribute largely to finances. We traded him the year after a 61 point season IIRC. His scoring dropped off significantly, though that also coincides with Francis going from damn near PPG and 6th in MVP voting, to 57 points on a season as his career wound down. Kapanen was still a very good two-way player even when his offense dropped off. But a two-way winger that's putting in points in the 30s at 3 million is something we couldn't afford. The big spenders at the time (Philly, Dallas, Colorado, Rangers, Detroit, Toronto) could, so we shipped him for the best we could get.

Kev may be the best guy to tell us the details, all things considered.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Or, as an alternative, take advantage of a cap hell team like the Leafs or the Oilers and take one of their bad contracts for a goodie. I've been beating on the "Get Marleau and a Good Leafs Roster Player" train for a while now, especially now that the Canes are in the ECF and have a playoff-contending roster worthy of a NMC waive. Or perhaps riskier but higher reward, offer-sheet Marner!
Marner I wouldn't offer sheet, I think the Leafs wouldn't let that one get to that point anyway. But a 1 year 4.22 sheet to Kapanen? yeah I could do that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So Kapanen is worth more than Pesce?

Pesce was signed almost 2 years ago and under a different owner.

I agree with you though. Makes it hard for future RFAs when you make TT earn it with a bridge, then sign him to $5.4M then turn around and give Kapanen ~$1M less when Kapanen is a 44 point player when playing with Matthews.

I think Kapanen with his speed and defensive ability would be ideal for the Canes though and Roddy would love him, but it would have to be in some sort of trade I would think.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Also since there's been some chatter about that 2009 series I want to share. Besides winning the Cup thats probably my favorite series I've ever seen this team play. You had the Cardiac Canes with their incredible Shock at the Rock in the last round going up against the 2nd best team in the league that year. On top of that the city of Boston was still on an incredible run of titles and everyone though the B's were ripe to complete the "four-fecta" for the decade. Everyone including myself thought the Bruins would win in 5 or so. They had just dominated Montreal in the last round and had swept our team in the regular season and the games were not close.

I wasn't there but two of the loudest moments in PNC Arena history occurred during this series IMO. One was Jussi Jokinen scoring the game 3 OT winner (anyone remember the falling popcorn afterwards? :laugh: ) and the other was when Sergei Samsonov put game 4 away with an incredible dangle and goal on Tim Thomas. The instant roar from both moments was so incredible it actually almost blew my cheap-ass surround-sound TV speakers out.

And then there was Game 7. That was probably the most nerve-wrecking game I've ever watched. 2006 vs Edmonton and game 7 vs Washington are close but the Canes were getting outplayed at times (especially in OT) and the Bruins came really close down the stretch to winning the game. During the OT the Bruins fans were chanting "We want the Cup" and "Finish them!". Walker scoring brought the crowd to a haunting silence. His celebration is also one of the most memorable and his interview with Tripp afterwards damn near brought me to tears as he talked about his wife going through breast cancer.

Walkers OT winner came almost out of nowhere, I was preparing for a 2nd OT when it happened. When it did I almost accidentally broke my laptop, I was estatic. This crazy rag-tag group of never-say-die vets that went through missing the playoffs on the last day the season before and went through the firing of Laviolette pulled off another miracle.

That was an incredible series and I still re-watch those games on Youtube sometimes.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
We were getting it handed to us in that game 7 in Boston. Was mentally prepared for the loss in that one. That was a shocker for sure.

The one I'll always remember from 09 though was the 2 goals in 48 seconds from Samsonov and Staal goals to win game 7 against the Devils. That one was too ridiculous for words.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Gotta take advantage of them being down one of their best defensemen. This is a great chance to steal one in Boston.

I really hope canes are ready for game 1. This really is a chace. fast good scater and good player who is used to play with slow Chara is gone. Now hard pressure to Chara always when he has puck.

I don't have long historical hate/love relationship with NHL franchises (since I earlier mainly just followed finnish players, especially goalies and jsut few years ago started to really concentrate on Canes) but bit touched boston forum now. There honestly guys are writing how Mcavoy hit was actually Anderson's fault and side comment on dirty game is immediately taken as trolling. Jesus, I start to understand why so many seem to hate Boston and I really just got even more mentally invovled in the series. Shit I want a win here!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Every Father's Day I send Karmanos a card with the inscription "I'm sending you this because I know none of your kids will".
Also:
<--- New Avatar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad