Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
1715273179804.png

1715272897151.png

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
To be fair, Penguins aren't living in Pittsburgh either, but the name works.
The penguin is so clearly disassociated from the native fauna that the "ice" association is clear. That's why it works. Maybe that's what they're attempting with Caribou since Penguins was already taken.

It sucks they couldn't keep Coyotes.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I also voted Powder.

It would be the ultimate dumb name ever. Love it!
I am still trying to figure out what a Red Wing is. And a New York City team named after a Texas law enforcement agency? Montreal showed real ingenuity with theirs…Not. At least when they had a minor league team in Rochester, NY they named it “Americans”..or “Amerks” as the locals call it.

Quite frankly you get used to a nickname. Although Utah should choose a name for this season. But maybe they figure they can sell more jerseys with a new name in 2025-26. Even the Islanders “Fishsticks” jerseys saw a bump in sales the first year.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Nothing will of course top Los Angeles Lakers in the pantheon of dumb names.

Anyway
They've got the Jazz, so why not stick with the music theme...

How about the Utah Rock for the hockey team?

And if they ever land an MLB team, they can all them the Utah Adult Contemporary
Utah Gospels lol
Or better yet Utah Rapp

Though it they go the state symbol route why not go all out with Utah Quaking Aspens

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I get that Ryan Smyth's whole Qualtrics business is survey software—but having the public decide your team name is a recipe for disaster. Let the brand and marketing professionals handle it. That's how they came up with the Golden Knights and Kraken themes and those are among the best executed brands in North American professional sports. Way better than anything the NHL came up with in the 90s or 2000s (see how often those teams have changed logos, jerseys,

I don’t think Ryan Smith is going to let fans have final say on a name - this is just being “not a doofus 101 when I buy a team - let the public feel involved in the process”.

Smith actually seems keenly aware of perception and branding.

- He wasted no time in establishing this team was gonna be “Utah” - not Salt Lake City. Much of the population of the area sprawls well out of the confines of the Salt Lake Valley. It’s also a smaller market. You need to be as inclusive as possible with the locale naming.

- He immediately established a very well attended and publicized welcoming to the players and franchise. Smart PR move especially after the disastrous PR ownership proceeding it.

- He immediately established that naming and branding would not be done by next season. This eliminates the need to rush things and sets expectations. This doesn’t guarantee everybody is gonna love the final brand but it does give ample time to developing it in a professional and well thought-out manner.

Of the proposed names…

- Ryan Smith is an NBA owner first and foremost. The world he comes from has a team that completely owns and plays up the Raptors brand. He’s not gonna copy it for his NHL team. It’s a bad look.

- The team in the state right next door in his division has a brand that has:

A primary logo with a mountain peak and snowy/winter imagery.

A secondary logo of a Bigfoot/Yeti foot.

A mascot that is literally a Bigfoot/Yeti.

Jerseys that literally have mountain peaks designed into the hemline.

I really don’t think at the end of the day that Ryan Smith is gonna want his cool new team riffing so hard with an existing team right in his backyard. He doesn’t strike me as that kind of entrepreneur. I think he’s going to want a brand that stands out as original and marketable in a different way.
Nah Smith doesn't have the slightest clue. The arena demanded that Utah be part of the name. He's running a poll that leans heavily towards Avalanche IP and the typical ice themed names. The names sound like they came from people who have never watched a hockey game in their life.

What major pro sport names a team after another sport? Black Diamonds? Powder? It's completely ridiculous.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Caribou are cool looking animals that are associated with winter. And it’s a unique name. Yeti is my second choice for the same reason, except I think it’s a little too close to Avs marketing. Outlaws is a bit generic but it works I guess.

Don’t be lazy and choose something that’s just another way of saying “ice” or “cold”. That’s normie ass shit

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I am still trying to figure out what a Red Wing is. And a New York City team named after a Texas law enforcement agency? Montreal showed real ingenuity with theirs…Not. At least when they had a minor league team in Rochester, NY they named it “Americans”..or “Amerks” as the locals call it.

Quite frankly you get used to a nickname. Although Utah should choose a name for this season. But maybe they figure they can sell more jerseys with a new name in 2025-26. Even the Islanders “Fishsticks” jerseys saw a bump in sales the first year.
i think the excuse the other teams have is they were made 100 years ago lol

Reactions: QuizGuy66

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Utah Qualtrics

Some of the names just won't fly because of other leagues. NBA has a Grizzlies and a Raptors and the NFL has a Saints. I know some exception out there like Winnipeg but just doesn't seem likely (especially the NBA ones given Smith is a partner in those leagues).

Still cannot believe they left it "fill in the blank" like a giant kick me sign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad