Practice cancelled: Dubas to speak to media at 11:30

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
We could have a four year old as GM as long as they made sound hockey decisions.

How did I know that would rile you up?

Why is it that Yzerman gets called shrewd and resolute when he leans hard on a player during RFA negotiations, but Dubas gets called inexperienced and incompetent?

Dubas could have signed Willy 5 months earlier and you'd be in here complaining about the (higher) cap hit. "He should have been tougher in negotiations", you would say.

Let's face it: he was never going to win with you.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
True. More great moves by Lou. Similar to how he solidified our goaltending. It's almost like he knows what he's doing. But thanks for adding to my Lou is a beast argument.

yet he's not.
because if he was, he would have fixed our defense,and secured our RFAs when he had time.

but he didn't.

Reactions: The Apologist

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Does anyone have the coles notes or reason for media address? I’ve scrolled through a few pages but this thread not surprisingly is just a dogs breakfast.
Leafs GM Dubas talks trade deadline plans, Matthews and Marner extensions - Sportsnet.ca
TORONTO — In his first half-season as Toronto Maple Leafs general manager, Kyle Dubas engaged in a contract standoff that kept William Nylander away from the team for more than two months.

He saw No. 1 centre Auston Matthews sit out 14 games with a separated shoulder and No. 1 goaltender Frederik Andersen sidelined for eight games with a groin injury.

And yet, despite those absences and a rough stretch since the Christmas break, the 29-17-2 Leafs remain one of the top teams in the NHL. It’s left Dubas thinking that he owes it to his players to make a concerted effort to bolster the roster ahead of the Feb. 25 trade deadline.

“The way that they’ve hung in and handled those things, and if you look at where we’re at in the standings overall, I still have to be very happy about that,” Dubas said Tuesday. “I think they’ve earned the right for us to explore ways that we can continue to make the team better. So we’re trying to do that and if there are things that are fair, we feel that fit for us in the short and long term, then we’ll continue to explore all that.”

It’s no mystery that his top priority remains bringing in some defensive help, although Dubas didn’t get into those kind of specifics in what was billed as his final Q-and-A session with reporters before the trade deadline.

The rookie GM would prefer to stay out of the rental market and instead acquire players with term left on their contracts — a desire complicated by an uncertain salary cap picture next season with Matthews and Mitch Marner still in need of new contracts.

Dubas continues to have dialogue with the Matthews camp on an extension, but has stopped negotiating with Marner at the request of his agent, Darren Ferris, who would prefer to wait for the summer.

In a perfect world, he’d like to have the Matthews contract wrapped up ahead of the deadline. That would give the Leafs GM a clearer long-term picture when making decisions on trades.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We should really have a sticky with a list of posters to put on your ignore list for a better experience for new members.

It's probably because you're new around here but it just so happens that the best posters around here are the ones who've been firmly critical of the Leafs management. There's less reason to be critical now but criticism and negativity towards past Leafs GM's (JFJ / Burke / Nonis) have proven to be justified.

Some posters seem to take it as a personal affront but there should be a healthy bit of skepticism and of course criticism when you have a rookie GM like Dubas at the helm.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
There is a big difference between responding to rough play by an opponent and seeking faces to punch, just as there is a difference between being assertive and being willing to absorb face punches. To try to pretend there is no difference between being assertive and being a headhunter is disingenuous on the part of too many posters on this board.

There’s a difference between being a head hunter and a face puncher so I’m not so sure what you’re on about. Assertive is a definition that doesn’t really have any physicality or toughness related meaning to me so you’ll have to expand on that for me to get it.

DankinIT

Freddie's Angels
Nov 26, 2018
Calgary
We should really have a sticky with a list of posters to put on your ignore list for a better experience for new members.

Me being new, I 100% back this. I have never met a more toxic bunch of fans in my life. (Not all of you) Half of this thread is garbage, the majority of the threads are exactly like this. GDT are about the only thread I involve myself

Does no one remember the decade of laughable hockey we recently endured? Team has a chance, me being a fan, that's all I'm asking for. This hasn't been an option since the Sundin days.

DankinIT

Freddie's Angels
Nov 26, 2018
Calgary
Some posters seem to take it as a personal affront but there should be a healthy bit of skepticism and of course criticism when you have a rookie GM like Dubas at the helm.

Majority of HF believe they should have his job. Past the point of "healthy skepticism and criticism"

Reactions: meefer

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think its time we go back to another era. This one is crumbling and likely done.
Matthews is a piece of glass that doesn't try
Marner is a shrimp with a crazy dad
Tavares is old and slow
Kadri doesn't try
Willy is a waste
Our GM doesn't want to waste assets on knee jerk moves. He hasn't made a deal yet, so he probably never will.

What a mess. Time to choose an era to go back to. Ballard? JFJ? Burke? Good times Take your pick. They are better than this current one which is just starting and is already a mess.

Reactions: stickty111

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I can pretty well guarantee my decisions would be better than our current GM, but I would rather we turn to experts who have won championships and turned tire fires into potential dynasties. Unfortunately we let that guy go for Waldo and were paying for it. Sad.

Smarts AND guarantees, you da man, except for the juvenile tone.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think it would be a smart move to not be as open with the media here. If Matthews isn't signed soon he's going to get held to it. This team is going to do great financially regardless of what is said to the media. There is no need to sell the team to the fanbase. Just talk in cliches, and just say things will get done when they get done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad