Speculation: Potential Trade Deadline Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdoc27

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
That's tough.

I highly doubt the Penguins will ever break up the Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis line as long as all three are on the same team, or until someone gets injured. I'd personally like to see a winger for Malkin.

So, Matt Niskanen to Calgary for Curtis Glencross. Doubtful that it'd ever happen though. Shero has traded one defenseman at the deadline, in his entire seven years here. Also, from what I understand, Calgary wants to keep Glencross.

It's not necessarily that they ant to keep him, its the fact that he has a NTC and has said that he wouldn't waive it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This team needs a top 9 forward with size who uses it around the net. Shero needs to address that once and for all. Enough with the vet stopgaps. You're better off overpaying for a longterm solution at this point.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Nisky for basically anything.

Minny fans are asking about a top 4 Dman on the FA boards and were asking for Orpik. IMO, Nisky for Zucker would be amazing for us.

I know it won't happen by I'd like Dupuis moved. Thats the only way you'll get him off Sid's hip.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Right now none of the young'uns are going to provide what Martin is providing. Especially with Scuderi out he's played the most consistent and has the highest IQ of any of our D right now.

I know, but I'm looking at it from a cap relief standpoint and building for the future.

I hate to say it, but this current lineup, healthy or not, is not winning a Stanley Cup.

Watching Chicago last night boy, they're so creative and skilled on offense it's crazy.

JoeniiChan

Oct 28, 2013
Nisky for basically anything.

Minny fans are asking about a top 4 Dman on the FA boards and were asking for Orpik. IMO, Nisky for Zucker would be amazing for us.

I know it won't happen by I'd like Dupuis moved. Thats the only way you'll get him off Sid's hip.

You don't have to trade him.

You could just move Kunitz down with Malkin, and take care of both problems.

I don't mind Dupuis playing with Crosby at all, I don't mind Kunitz playing with Crosby either. I don't like Kunitz and Dupuis both playing with Crosby, especially in the playoffs.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
You don't have to trade him.

You could just move Kunitz down with Malkin, and take care of both problems.

I don't mind Dupuis playing with Crosby at all, I don't mind Kunitz playing with Crosby either. I don't like Kunitz and Dupuis both playing with Crosby, especially in the playoffs.

You either have to trade Duper or fire the coach.

Iggy couldn't even break up the "best line in the NHL" last year.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
:facepalm:

The fact that this board would rather trade Letang than Maatta :shakehead

Speaking for myself... I don't want to trade Letang, necessarily.

I just don't think it would set the team back nearly as much as most seem to think, if he were. I don't consider him untouchable, at all, despite the narrative. I'd rather build around a different type of defenseman as the "base" of my blueline.

Maybe that's just me, though. I'm alright with a select few of my team's forwards being riverboat gamblers with often questionable brains. Their job is offense, after all... when you get right down to it. I don't much care for those traits in my "franchise" defenseman, though.

I do think he'd be a much, much better, more well-rounded player under slightly different circumstances, though. Many players on this team likely would. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what I'm implying, there.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ideally id like to trade Bylsma for a bag of pucks and trade half those pucks for Stamkos. But realistically I wouldnt mind Orpik or Niskenen moved for a solid third line winger

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009

I just don't think it would set the team back nearly as much as most seem to think, if he were. I don't consider him untouchable, at all, despite the narrative. I'd rather build around a different type of defenseman as the "base" of my blueline.

Maybe that's just me, though. I'm alright with a select few of my team's forwards being riverboat gamblers with often questionable brains. Their job is offense, after all... when you get right down to it. I don't much care for it in my "franchise" defenseman, though.

That's an over-simplification and over-exaggeration to call Letang a riverboat gambler. When he plays his game, he's offensive but still solid in our own end. He's not like an old Mike Green, he actually plays defense. He's still prone to dumb plays with the puck and sometimes he tries to do too much.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Maybe that's just me, though. I'm alright with a select few of my team's forwards being riverboat gamblers with often questionable brains. Their job is offense, after all... when you get right down to it. I don't much care for it in my "franchise" defenseman, though.

I completely disagree with Letang not being crucial to this team. His absence has the biggest effect of anyone else. But that's not even what I have a problem with. It's the fact that you somehow consider a kid who's played 12 NHL games on the bottom pairing more untouchable than a guy who is a top 10 defenseman in the league and crucial to our transition game.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's all fine and dandy. I understand the appeal of Kris Letang. He's a unique talent.

I'm just not really that enamored with his progress as a player nor am I convinced that he's nearly as crucial to this team's success as seemingly everyone believes. I'm also not convinced that the team itself has fully bought into Kris Letang, based on his contract negotiations and lack of a full NMC. Ryan Whitney was a "crucial piece and core player" not that long ago. There are some parallels, there.

I also made a quick edit on my above post to clarify a rather important point.

ArcticFox

Nov 2, 2010
Orpik for pucks
Martin for a 3rd line LW (so we complete the Sutter/Bennet combo)

Keep Nisky!

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
That's all fine and dandy. I understand the appeal of Kris Letang. He's a unique talent.

I'm just not really that enamored with his progress as a player nor am I convinced that he's nearly as crucial to this team's success as seemingly everyone believes. I'm also not convinced that the team itself has fully bought into Kris Letang, based on his contract negotiations and lack of a full NMC. Ryan Whitney was a "crucial piece and core player" not that long ago. There are some parallels, there.

I also made a quick edit on my above post to clarify a rather important point.

You mean based on Rossi's ********?

But even still I understand some don't like Letang, but you still haven't clarified why Maatta should be considered untouchable while Letang shouldn't.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
If I got to play GM for a day... Probably the first thing I'd do is aggressively pursue a legit top line winger for Sid. I'd also look for veteran insurance in net. By that I mean a goalie that's capable of starting in case Vokoun can't get back and Fleury wets the bed in the playoffs again. I'd also like to add a depth forward with size and grit. A guy that can score those ugly playoff type of goals.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
The best thing about Maatta becoming an untouchable for some so quickly is that last year he was the "random D prospect used to pull off a hypothetical big trade" for what seemed like almost everyone. (That title goes to Despres this year.)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Maybe that's just me, though. I'm alright with a select few of my team's forwards being riverboat gamblers with often questionable brains. Their job is offense, after all... when you get right down to it. I don't much care for those traits in my "franchise" defenseman, though.

I do think he'd be a much, much better, more well-rounded player under slightly different circumstances, though. Many players on this team likely would. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what I'm implying, there.

This about sums up how I feel about Letang. Great player, really talented, but not the type of franchise dman I would prefer if given other options.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The best thing about Maatta becoming an untouchable for some so quickly is that last year he was the "random D prospect used to pull off a hypothetical big trade" for what seemed like almost everyone. (That title goes to Despres this year.)

I don't think many could have guessed Maatta would look this good this fast in the NHL. We're not all expert scouts.

It does make the Morrow for Morrow deal a little easier to swallow. Pouliot looks like a nasty PP QB for the future. And Maatta is just a better D-man.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You mean based on Rossi's ********?

But even still I understand some don't like Letang, but you still haven't clarified why Maatta should be considered untouchable while Letang shouldn't.

No... based on the lack of a full NTC/NMC and the fact that things drug on quite some time. Implying that there was, at one point, a fairly wide gulf in what each party thought Letang was/is worth.

I'm just saying what I would do. I'm not a GM. I personally believe that Maatta is the real deal and is much, much more in line with the type of defenseman I would personally build a blueline around. Letang is just too much of a loose cannon to be considered a blueline anchor... again... in my opinion.

They "had" to bring him in Scuderi and went to the effort in hiring a guy onto the coaching staff known to work very well with defensemen. So I don't think I'm really that far out in left field. But obviously everyone's interpretation is going to be a little (or a lot) different.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
No... based on the lack of a full NTC/NMC and the fact that things drug on quite some time. Implying that there was, at one point, a fairly wide gulf in what each party thought Letang was/is worth.

I'm just saying what I would do. I'm not a GM. I personally believe that Maatta is the real deal and is much, much more in line with the type of defenseman I would personally build a blueline around. Letang is just too much of a loose cannon to be considered a blueline anchor... again... in my opinion.

They "had" to bring him in Scuderi and went to the effort in hiring a guy onto the coaching staff known to work very well with defensemen. So I don't think I'm really that far out in left field. But obviously everyone's interpretation is going to be a little (or a lot) different.

All of this after 12 games on the bottom pairing against mostly weak teams? Okay :laugh:

As far as "having" to bring him Scuderi, I think it makes sense to have your number one defenseman play with another top four defenseman rather than freaking Mark Eaton. Every other top dman in the league has a solid partner. I'm not sure why getting Letang one looks bad on him. And I think binging in Martin has a lot more to do with the team in general than Letang specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad