Speculation: Potential Trade Deadline Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyGuy

Jan 10, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
OK, I know this is super early to discuss this, BUT it's pretty much a given that Buffalo will miss the playoffs this year. When they acquired Moulson for Vanek, the pundits speculated that Moulson would be traded again for more futures at the trade deadline.

Given his low cap hit and skill working with a top playmaker in Tavares, perhaps it could finally be time for Moulson to play for the team that drafted him. Would be a great option for Geno's left wing.

http://capgeek.com/player/1027

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Moulson doesn't possess the kind of speed Bylsma wants in his Forwards to play his system of Puck Possession, so I don't think Moulson is an option for them.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Given his low cap hit and skill working with a top playmaker in Tavares, perhaps it could finally be time for Moulson to play for the team that drafted him. Would be a great option for Geno's left wing.

http://capgeek.com/player/1027

Not at all actually. Moulson is a lesser James Neal. As has been discussed many times on this board, having two guys who have the primary role of goal scoring on the same line is not a recipe for success. Malkin's ideal LW needs to be gritty and strong along the boards. If we're acquiring anyone from Buffalo, I'd want it to be Ott.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not at all actually. Moulson is a lesser James Neal. As has been discussed many times on this board, having two guys who have the primary role of goal scoring on the same line is not a recipe for success. Malkin's ideal LW needs to be gritty and strong along the boards. If we're acquiring anyone from Buffalo, I'd want it to be Ott.

My ideal aquisition would be Kunitz for Malkin's line.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT

Why not dream and say "Sid"s LW"?

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I've wanted Blake Wheeler for a while now. I don't have a viable plan for getting him here or paying him, but Shero can figure all that out.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
There is very little chance Buffalo will trade Ott. Very little. He's a big need for their roster going forward; they acquired him for a reason and under a different circumstance than Moulson. Even so I won't be surprised if they sign Moulson too. Also a good fit for them.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Time to go with 3 lines:

Macaroni - Sid - Smegna
Kunitz - Geno - Vitale
Glass - Adams - D'ags

We're not there yet but about one more F injury and we will be (Sutter's out right?).
Geno + Vitale = the mythical 50 points... by the Olympic Break.

:thumbu:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'd rather the Pens get Ott than Moulson. Our top 9 is soff like I never seen soff before. I don't have much faith in Sutter's lack of grit/intensity come playoff time either.

JoeniiChan

Oct 28, 2013
As much as I'd like to see the Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis line broken up, it's doubtful that will ever happen.

I'm going to go with what the second line needs, which is a gritty complimentary player for Malkin and Neal. Curtis Glencross, in my opinion, is that guy. He'll bring exactly what that second line needs.

A gritty forward with good speed, he'll bring physicality and he's strong around the net. He has also decent hands, in the past three seasons he has 65 goals. He's signed for the next two seasons at a fair $2.550M cap hit.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pens top 3 trade priorities should be

1. backup goalie

2. backup goalie

3 backup goalie

I think MAF playing so well this season has made people forget the main reason for the pens early playoff exits the past few years.

I'd like to add a top 9 forward also but there just isn't the cap room to add somebody, even if they trade Nisky that will just give them enough space to add TV/backup goalie.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Danish: I concur. Despite the injuries, there is no close second to that need. If Fleury gets hurt, we can throw in the towel because we won't win **** without a proven NHL backup.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Stafford is another Michael Ryder type, only less consistent in his scoring, if that's possible (disappears for even longer stretches of time). He would not help this team at all IMO. If you're talking Buffalo, I'd take a shot at Enroth as a backup for FLeury. Maybe Buffalo does what Vancouver did. Everyone assumed it was Luongo who was to be traded and in the end they kept him and traded the younger guy. Orpik for Enroth maybe. I don't know the guy's game well so not sure if that's a bad deal or not but I've heard he has good upside.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Stafford is another Michael Ryder type, only less consistent in his scoring, if that's possible (disappears for even longer stretches of time). He would not help this team at all IMO. If you're talking Buffalo, I'd take a shot at Enroth as a backup for FLeury. Maybe Buffalo does what Vancouver did. Everyone assumed it was Luongo who was to be traded and in the end they kept him and traded the younger guy. Orpik for Enroth maybe. I don't know the guy's game well so not sure if that's a bad deal or not but I've heard he has good upside.

Drew Stafford plays with a physical game, unlike Michael Ryder. But, I do agree that Drew Stafford plays with inconsistency, and he is not the greatest defensively.

I doubt that Buffalo would trade away Enroth. He is expected to start, once Miller gets traded away.

Frederik Andersen was a goalie that I would like, but it looks like the Ducks organization has high hopes for him.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
My ideal acquisition would be a couple washed up vets, one being a defenseman, who we can trade our prospects and draft picks for. I'm hoping they can bring the ever mystical "leadership" and prove to be completely useless in the playoffs. It'll be an added bonus if they push those undeserving inexperienced young bums out of the lineup. We're in win now mode and its a proven fact that no team has ever won anything with those kinds of players on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad