Speculation: Potential Trade Deadline Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
Their franchise goalie that will be a UFA this summer and is not going to re-sign. Compare that to a franchise defenseman that is young and signed for the next 9 years. You want to trade that AND add a 1st round pick?

Yeah, I didn't realize that his contract expires next year. I kind of just assumed that he would re-sign with the Sabres because he is the face of their franchise.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I didn't realize his contract expires next year. If he became a free agent, I would try to sign him or if the Sabres signed him to a new contract I would try to trade for him. He would a perfect addition to this team devoid of any goaltender depth.

Clearly troll bot technology has come much further than I had imagined.

JoeniiChan

Oct 28, 2013
Homer alert. You think Ryan Miller is SLIGHTLY better than Marc-Andre Fleury? That guy is a wall. Day in, day out he makes saves when sometimes there literally is no defense. It is just a shooting gallery out there. He is much better even though I like Fleury. Remember, we need a backup just as good or better than Fleury, otherwise like the beginning of this season, every time Zatkoff plays we lose. This really needs to be addressed. He couldn't stop routine shots from the Panthers or Islanders and we lost. It can't be that every time the Flower needs a rest that we lose. We need to invest in a good back-up. Even when Voky comes back he will only be here for another year or so probably.

Not at all.

Miller isn't as good as people like to make it seem. He's also a UFA after this season, a 33 year old UFA. Yes, the defense and team infront of Miller is rather poor, but the defense infront of Fleury hasn't been great either, especially in the playoffs.

Zatkoff has two losses because the defense infront of him was poor. Don't get me wrong, there were times when he should've made saves, but I can't blame an AHL-level goalie who has very little NHL experience for that.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I thought part of Letang's deal was an agreement that he would not be traded this year? That was a big offseason story... why is everyone suddenly posting trade scenerios for him... they agreed not to trade him this year and his next contract has a NTC built in

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
Not at all.

Miller isn't as good as people like to make it seem. He's also a UFA after this season, a 33 year old UFA. Yes, the defense and team infront of Miller is rather poor, but the defense infront of Fleury hasn't been great either, especially in the playoffs.

Zatkoff has two losses because the defense infront of him was poor. Don't get me wrong, there were times when he should've made saves, but I can't blame an AHL-level goalie who has very little NHL experience for that.

I agree with most of what you said but especially the bold. So why have Zatkoff be a ticking time bomb. We know he isn't NHL ready and he is our only option when the Flower needs a rest. That really isn't good. Maybe specifically Miller isn't an option for right now, although I think in the future he would be but we need a back-up with NHL experience now.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think the Pens could promise Letang he wouldn't be traded. There was simply no way to work that into his current deal and that was part of the holdup of getting his new contract done. His NTC kicks in next year. I don't see him being moved though. It just doesn't seem like something Shero would do to a player.

I think Pouliot will have to pan out in a big way for them to consider trading Letang down the road.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought NTCs on extensions kicked in immediately under the new CBA to prevent players being Holmgrened.

It's possible but in the old CBA you also had to be 27 or older to get a NTC/NMC. Letang is still only 26. Not sure if that applies to the new CBA though.

JoeniiChan

Oct 28, 2013
I agree with most of what you said but especially the bold. So why have Zatkoff be a ticking time bomb. We know he isn't NHL ready and he is our only option when the Flower needs a rest. That really isn't good. Maybe specifically Miller isn't an option for right now, although I think in the future he would be but we need a back-up with NHL experience now.

I agree that Zatkoff isn't a long-term solution.

However, he hasn't been as bad as people think. If he can continue to play decent until the deadline, that's good enough for me.

Scott Clemmsensen is one guy I'd consider at the deadline. He's in the final year of his contract, he doesn't make that much, only $1.2M a season. He's a solid backup, and Florida probably won't expect much in return for him.

Murdoc27

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Trades you'd like to see?

Given a healthy defensive corps, what trade or trades would you like to see to better our Forward depth and prosepects?

Example:

To MIN:
Despres

To PIT:
Zucker+

NutCracker

Aug 9, 2008
Fire Yeo, trade Martin! blow it all up

That said. Trade couple d-men for pucks, we don't need all of them

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Orpik to the Ducks for one of their young promising forwards and whatever evens it out on either end.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
There's not much I'd like to see barring a big fleecing. I'd say Niskanen, but I'm sure once we get rid of him someone else will get injured and we'll regret it.

So probably not much until the trade deadline where it'd depend on our unrelenting injury situation and who's even available. I'm good for mostly staying put though, this season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There's not much I'd like to see barring a big fleecing. I'd say Niskanen, but I'm sure once we get rid of him someone else will get injured and we'll regret it.

So probably not much until the trade deadline where it'd depend on our unrelenting injury situation and who's even available. I'm good for mostly staying put though, this season.

I sure hope we're not standing pat this year. Definitely need to add a forward.

Murdoc27

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

I intended for this to be pretty much a hypothetical thread. I'm not saying throw everything to the wind and giving ridiculous trade ideas. But rather trades that would make sense for both teams and be cap compliant, etc.

I too see the injuries as an issue and that trading right now would be ery difficult, which is why I stated "given a healthy" roster.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT
Martin I'd be okay with losing because he could fetch a nice return and it would force them to bring up another young'un.

Right now none of the young'uns are going to provide what Martin is providing. Especially with Scuderi out he's played the most consistent and has the highest IQ of any of our D right now.

JoeniiChan

Oct 28, 2013
That's tough.

I highly doubt the Penguins will ever break up the Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis line as long as all three are on the same team, or until someone gets injured. I'd personally like to see a winger for Malkin.

So, Matt Niskanen to Calgary for Curtis Glencross. Doubtful that it'd ever happen though. Shero has traded one defenseman at the deadline, in his entire seven years here. Also, from what I understand, Calgary wants to keep Glencross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad