Speculation: Potential Trade Deadline Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKnows

Aug 22, 2013
I just want two young power forwards. One to play left wing for Crosby the other to play with Sutter. If we acquire anyone under 6'1" 200lbs or over 29 I'll be disappointed. Not surprised but disappointed.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
If we're talking backup goalie then why not Tim Thomas? We've witnessed him absolutely dominate in the playoffs before so we know what he's capable of.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm not big on trading picks/futures/prospects for a backup 'tender though.
The Pens went with MAF and they're gonna live or die by that decision.

If they trade for a 'tender it better be a guy that can be a legit #1. One that makes MAF expendable. With the cap as it is, you're not going to be able to do much in that regard unless you move significant pieces.

Using some of the expendable assets to beef up your roster should be the way to go though. Picking up guys who can play now and in the future and not at the tail end of thier careers as well. We tried that last year.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I just want two young power forwards. One to play left wing for Crosby the other to play with Sutter. If we acquire anyone under 6'1" 200lbs or over 29 I'll be disappointed. Not surprised but disappointed.

There aren't too many young power forwards available in the NHL. The only one I can think of that might be available would be Kassian from Vancouver. The issue is we'd probably have to trade Sutter to get him since they want a 3C.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As mentioned before, if you keep letting Bylsma play with his old toys, he won't bother with the new ones given to him. Shero is just as much of an idiot as Bylsma is, he is also reluctant to move the guys that need to be moved so the team can move forward, one of the worst things to happen to this team might be the way Sid's line clicks so well.

I would like Vrbata if he is somehow available at the deadline.

Vrbata begged to go back to Phoenix the last time he left, he loves it there, chances are if he gets moved, he would probably just not report.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As mentioned before, if you keep letting Bylsma play with his old toys, he won't bother with the new ones given to him. Shero is just as much of an idiot as Bylsma is, he is also reluctant to move the guys that need to be moved so the team can move forward, one of the worst things to happen to this team might be the way Sid's line clicks so well.

Vrbata begged to go back to Phoenix the last time he left, he loves it there, chances are if he gets moved, he would probably just not report.

Think about this: Since the Pens won the cup, the only roster player Shero has moved VOLUNTARILY is Alex Gologoski, and with Letang, Orpik, Martin, and Michalek, he was the definition of expendable.

Shero has moved futures and young guys who didn't play. He moved Staal because he had to do it. He couldn't afford Cooke or Talbot. Maybe you could argue that he voluntarily moved Kennedy's rights, but he wasn't signing him for what it was going to cost.

When I talk about Ray Shero being risk averse, this is the definition of risk averse. Cue the gang to say 'lolz, Kirk wants Shero to go Full Homer', as if the only options available to a GM are to risk nothing and to go Full Homer and as if 28 other GM's in the league don't fall somewhere in between.

EDIT: I guess you could say Michalek, but he volunteered to leave. It wasn't as if Shero moved him like he moved Whitney or even Armstrong, i.e. in a deal that changed the makeup of the team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The only benefit I see in Moulson is his work in front of the net on the PP. He has sick hands in tight and would be way better than Kunitz is in that role. Of course, Bylsma would never take Kunitz off the top PP so there's really no point.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
Pens top 3 trade priorities should be

1. backup goalie

2. backup goalie

3 backup goalie

I think MAF playing so well this season has made people forget the main reason for the pens early playoff exits the past few years.

I'd like to add a top 9 forward also but there just isn't the cap room to add somebody, even if they trade Nisky that will just give them enough space to add TV/backup goalie.

****. I want Letang traded and a first round pick for Ryan Miller. That would solve most of our problems.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
Letang and a first round pick for a goalie who's slightly better than what we have?

Homer alert. You think Ryan Miller is SLIGHTLY better than Marc-Andre Fleury? That guy is a wall. Day in, day out he makes saves when sometimes there literally is no defense. It is just a shooting gallery out there. He is much better even though I like Fleury. Remember, we need a backup just as good or better than Fleury, otherwise like the beginning of this season, every time Zatkoff plays we lose. This really needs to be addressed. He couldn't stop routine shots from the Panthers or Islanders and we lost. It can't be that every time the Flower needs a rest that we lose. We need to invest in a good back-up. Even when Voky comes back he will only be here for another year or so probably.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I believe he was saying he wants Letang traded, and then he would deal a first for Ryan Miller. I'd do neither, but that's how I interpreted that post.

BTW, the current leading scorer among all UFA right-wingers is...

drum roll

his initials are J.J.

EDIT: oops, I guess he was serious about dealing Letang AND a first for Miller. Well I'll be damned.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Danish: I concur. Despite the injuries, there is no close second to that need. If Fleury gets hurt, we can throw in the towel because we won't win **** without a proven NHL backup.

I'm on board with this as well. We don't have a clue as to when Vokoun will be back (or IF he'll even be back) and we all know how huge of a gamble it would be to rely solely on Fleury, especially come playoff time. I also really don't think we're as thin up front when fully healthy as people are making it seem. When Beau and Neal are both back our top 6 will look fairly strong again and with Jussi back on the 3rd line with Sutter and either one of D'agostini or Kobasew, our top 9 will be fairly competitive.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
I believe he was saying he wants Letang traded, and then he would deal a first for Ryan Miller. I'd do neither, but that's how I interpreted that post.

BTW, the current leading scorer among all UFA right-wingers is...

drum roll

his initials are J.J.

EDIT: oops, I guess he was serious about dealing Letang AND a first for Miller. Well I'll be damned.

I am not a gm lol I just thought a first round pick would sweeten the deal considering I would be asking a franchise to give up their franchise goalie.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I am not a gm lol I just thought a first round pick would sweeten the deal considering I would be asking a franchise to give up their franchise goalie.

Their franchise goalie that will be a UFA this summer and is not going to re-sign. Compare that to a franchise defenseman that is young and signed for the next 9 years. You want to trade that AND add a 1st round pick?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Danish: I concur. Despite the injuries, there is no close second to that need. If Fleury gets hurt, we can throw in the towel because we won't win **** without a proven NHL backup.

We can already throw in the towel if Fleury's between the pipes for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs, so who cares if he gets hurt?

We don't need a proven NHL backup, we need a proven winner in goal.

It's actually refreshing to read a post where someone actually acknowledges the other team involved in trade discussions. Too many forget sometimes what so-and-so means to the franchise he's potentially leaving behind. We went over this ad nauseum last year with all the Iginla talk.

Course, we ended up surrendering a LOT less than expected for Iggy, and your proposal is just off-the-wall overpayment.

Still is refeshing, though. :)

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
You seem to be wrong. Actually you are wrong. Letang is signed to a long term deal. Miller is on an expiring contract. How the hell is that even close to a reasonable deal?

I didn't realize his contract expires next year. If he became a free agent, I would try to sign him or if the Sabres signed him to a new contract I would try to trade for him. He would a perfect addition to this team devoid of any goaltender depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad