McKenzie: Potential pending trade between WSH and LAK

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If Jaskin was about to be waived, why is LA now trading for him?

The Jaskin thing makes no sense. Maybe I just don’t like it.

Seems like LA has better options coming up next year. Don’t need Jaskin taking up space. Guess they can let him walk if needed.

Yea it does it’s just a body Back plus a pick I’m sure for Hagelin at 50

They can waive him if they want

Reactions: LAKings88

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I'm not really sure what Hagelin would do for Washington. He's fast and defensively responsible, but he has literally no offensive talent anymore. For a team that has lost in the playoffs in the past due to not having depth scoring, I'm really not sure why they would want to target Hagelin. I would rather have Jaskin than Hagelin at this point.

Because Jaskin is this incredible provider of offense? Waiting for Jaskin to score is like waiting for rain in Sahara desert. It might happen but maybe not this decade.

Hagelin is the least un-appetizing of all the LA options. That said, I sincerely hope that there are no transactions between Washington and LA.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because Jaskin is this incredible provider of offense? Waiting for Jaskin to score is like waiting for rain in Sahara desert. It might happen but maybe not this decade.

Hagelin is the least un-appetizing of all the LA options. That said, I sincerely hope that there are no transactions between Washington and LA.

No, but he's better than Carl "I can't even produce when playing alongside Evgeni Malkin" Hagelin offensively. You don't have to be an "incredible provider of offense" to be better than Hagelin offensively.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC

This. No thanks to any of those options.

Jaskin might not be an offensive dynamo but he is literally one of the only players who looks likes he gives a f*c* most nights.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I don’t want anyone from LA unless they are retaining 95% of Kovy’s contract.

On the other hand Maclellan has been pretty damn good for the Caps and has been pulling great players seemingly out of thin air, so who knows.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That isn’t true. I like Jaskin actually but he played a few games next to Ovechkin and Kuznetsov and didn’t produce a thing.

Hagelin averaged 9 goals a season over 2 full seasons when playing with Malkin from 2016-2018. Jaskin didn't produce a thing over a couple of games with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov, Hagelin didn't produce a thing over 2 and a half seasons when with Malkin.

Hagelin would just be a really bad buy for the Capitals IMO. He only provides speed and defensive awareness at this point, he provides literally nothing offensively.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I’m a Rangers fan, Hagelin was one of the few players traded that hurt within the past several years. Monster wheels and a good engine makes for a persistent threat. Kreider and Hagelin forecheck was incredible.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Hagelin averaged 9 goals a season over 2 full seasons when playing with Malkin from 2016-2018. Jaskin didn't produce a thing over a couple of games with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov, Hagelin didn't produce a thing over 2 and a half seasons when with Malkin.

Hagelin would just be a really bad buy for the Capitals IMO. He only provides speed and defensive awareness at this point, he provides literally nothing offensively.

I don't think you know who Jaskin is.

Cap's fans also don't need a primer on Hagelin. He is an absolute pain in the ass to play against in the playoffs. Nobody particularly cares how much offense a 4th line winger in providing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think you know who Jaskin is.

Cap's fans also don't need a primer on Hagelin. He is an absolute pain in the ass to play against in the playoffs. Nobody particularly cares how much offense a 4th line winger in providing.

He's not the player he was in 2016, that's what I'm getting at. I know who Jaskin is, I just really don't think you realize how ineffective Hagelin is at this point. He's not going to be in the NHL by the 2020-2021 season. For a team that has lost a bunch of times in the playoffs due to a lack of depth scoring, I really don't know why you're saying "nobody particularly cares how much offense a 4th line winger provides".

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
If Jaskin was about to be waived, why is LA now trading for him?

The Jaskin thing makes no sense. Maybe I just don’t like it.

Seems like LA has better options coming up next year. Don’t need Jaskin taking up space. Guess they can let him walk if needed.
Maybe the deal originally was DSP instead of Jaskin and LA changed their mind?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If Kovalchuk is going anywhere, surely LA is retaining 50%.

Kovalchuk is still a very good hockey player. $3.125 is a very generous cap hit for him, even if the term is not ideal.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
What’s funny is that Jaskin and Hagelin have the same production this year, almost.

Jaskin has 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points in 36 games

Hagelin has 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points in 38 games

Unless Jaskin is truly awful in the defensive end, this move would make little sense for the Caps. Jaskin is younger, is an RFA next year for something extremely cheap and produces just as much.

They’d lose Hagelin at the end of the year, has provides absolutely nothing on offense. If this was Hagelin from a couple years ago, this would be a good deal. But he has fallen off of the face of the earth in that regard.

Not sure what either team is thinking if this is the real deal and a 1 for 1 trade.

Thought the King could get a 4th to 5th rounder for Hagelin without bringing in a guy to block their younger guys and to shed salary? Nothing makes sense to me, though.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What’s funny is that Jaskin and Hagelin have the same production this year, almost.

Jaskin has 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points in 36 games

Hagelin has 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points in 38 games

Unless Jaskin is truly awful in the defensive end, this move would make little sense for the Caps. Jaskin is younger, is an RFA next year for something extremely cheap and produces just as much.

They’d lose Hagelin at the end of the year, has provides absolutely nothing on offense. If this was Hagelin from a couple years ago, this would be a good deal. But he has fallen off of the face of the earth in that regard.

Not sure what either team is thinking if this is the real deal and a 1 for 1 trade.

Thought the King could get a 4th to 5th rounder for Hagelin without bringing in a guy to block their younger guys and to shed salary? Nothing makes sense to me, though.

well first we dont even know if its hagelin or even the kings for that matter

also

makes it seem like multiple pieces

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
IMO, I can't imagine Kovalchuk with Kuznetsov.

I know there is some consensus that Kovalchuk is a lot worse or something, but I don't think its true. He was close to PPG before an injury and going down to the 4th line. Beyond that, he's on the worst team in the West. I see him contributing at a much higher rate with a good playmaker.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
well first we dont even know if its hagelin or even the kings for that matter

also

makes it seem like multiple pieces

I could see Jaskin going somewhere else and the trade between the Kings and Capitals being Hagelin 50% retained for a draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad