McKenzie: Potential pending trade between WSH and LAK

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
As a Caps fan I’ll be sick if it is any of the three mentioned.
Feel as you may, and that’s cool, gladly have your own opinions. But I am flat out telling you I 100% do not want Hag’s on your team. The dude is a beast from redline to redline. And will instantly make your PK better. He is absolutely absent on consistent scoring but he does literally every other small thing on the ice. If you get him salary retained you’ll be happy in the end as long as you didn’t have to overpay.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Heres a good article on just how truly god awful he was at offense with the Pens earlier in the year. And it hasn’t gotten better with the Kings.

Carl Hagelin is as important as he is frustrating

But if the Capitals do plan to just use him as a speedy defensive 4th liner, then it could be a good move.

We have 6 wingers pacing > 30 points this year not counting Burakovsky who is still a top 9 type player despite his slump, Hagelin would be strictly a 4th line/PK puck chaser.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
basically hes throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks

He used to post quality rumors. Now all he posts is his idiotic speculation as a rumor. Dudes getting ecklund like with his conflating of rumor and speculation."

"Hagelin might get traded, but if he does, it'd be to a hockey team, most likely.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
So Hagelin for Jaskin and a 3rd ? Not bad I guess . Jaskin is just a body coming back unless he finds his game for a bottom 6 role in the west again and the 3rd is what I expected for Hagelin.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
As many people cover these teams you’d think someone would have broken this thing by now

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Clifford/Hagelin for Jaskin+

Odd WSH couldn’t get a mid/late round pick for DSP.

Not really. He has shown himself to be undedicated to his profession. He will get a professional tryout is someone's camp next season with the guarantee that he show up in shape

Reactions: um

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's Clifford, or Hagelin (Retained). Those are the only two who fit cap wise.

It could be Lewis or Forbort if the Kings retain salary, but I don't see why they'd retain salary on contracts with term.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I am pretty sure that it will be a surprise.

It's gotta be Clifford or Hagelin with retained salary. Lewis or Forbort if the Kings are open to retaining on contracts with term. Nobody else fits. Kings aren't likely to want to retain on such a minor deal, so that means it's likely Clifford or Hagline.

In order for it to be a surprise, it would have to be a bigger deal with Burakovsky going the other way, but that doesn't seem likely. It doesn't make sense to expect Burakovsky to go the other way, because why bother waiving DSP? I guess it's possible they are going to waive DSP, trade Burakovsky, and roll with a 22 man roster to stay under the salary cap, but operating that way could potentially get very messy for them.

Burakovsky+DSP+WSH cap space=4.957M of cap space as of today (a little bit more tomorrow)

So then it could be Toffoli or Martinez. Or with retained salary, Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, or Carter. Retained salary is unlikely, and with a tight cap situation Washington will probably not want to take on a big multi year contract for a declining player like Phaneuf. In this scenario, Toffoli and Martinez make more sense, but again I don't think this scenario is likely because it requires WSH to roll with a 22 player roster.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This is what Friedman actually had to say:

"I do. I believe so. I believe they’re working on a deal possibly involving Carl Hagelin from the L.A. Kings,” said Friedman on NHL Network on Wednesday. “He seems to be the name that we’re hearing a lot of right now. Obviously, that can’t happen until things get done tomorrow in terms of does Smith-Pelly clear waivers or what the Capitals have to do to make part of it.”
“But there’s a lot of smoke around a Capitals-Kings deal, and Hagelin is the name I’m hearing the most. He’s obviously a guy who’s had a lot of success in the Eastern Conference as a member of the Rangers and a Stanley Cup champion with the Penguins."

Obviously he's not going to say all that in a tweet, and obviously he's not an NHL exec so he can never say for sure. His inside connections are legit though. His 31 Thoughts are often just that: thoughts - speculation and ideas - but he's still a legit insider, overall.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I’m torn on DSP. Yes he was out of shape and has been underwhelming in all aspects this year. But he was really THAT good in the playoffs last year. Clutch. True playoff warrior.

It was unprofessional to start the season the way he did. No excuse. And he’s shown no signs of life. But we may still regret not having him when the games matter more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad