Speculation: Potential Chicago-Monteal trade

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would take Crawford off their hands if the intent was freeing up cap space for the rest of the year. What would ask for? I think that's up to the Hawks to dangle something if that's what they are trying to do. It could also involve several other pieces from both sides the more you engage.

Both sides list their untouchables and you go from there. Usually, trade talk falls through and you never find out how far or close they were.
we don't need to create cap space this yr and next yr CC if off the books.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Laughable at best. Wouldnt trade Petry OR Caufield for those two, unless you added...alot.
Well Caufield you may be right there but saying you wouldn't trade Petry for Saad and Gus unless there was a big add is just foolish.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
What about Crawford for Kinkaid straight up?

Montreal gets the better goalie, and someone they should be able to trust more than Kinkaid in an attempt to save their season.

Chicago gets a capable backup and saves $4.25 M on the cap this year, freeing them up to make more moves this year.

I could see both of these guys re-signing with these teams to form new tandems. Price-Crawford, Lehner-Kinkaid.

Holy **** no. Straight up downgrading from Crow to a guy who sucks while not even getting an asset:laugh:

Reactions: JackFr

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Fair statement but you have to realize the Habs approach would be to take the cap hit off your hands with the assumption that Lehner is the starter and we free up cap space for the Hawks to make other moves?

If you still value Crawford and don't care about creating cap space, we can respect that. But if you want to create cap space, we can talk. This is not about Crawford vs Kinkaid. Kinkaid going the other way is about giving you a cheaper back-up and you play Lehner more

If they want to trade Crawford it would be to gain actual assets not acquiring an AHL quality goalie while getting no actual assets back to make said "other trades"

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
8 of the 10 teams that won a Cup in the last decade built their core around players they earned via tanking...

There isn’t 10 different teams that won the cup in the past decade. Just out of my head Boston (2011) and St-Louis (2019) never ever tanked.

L.A (2 cups) catalyst was the Richard/Carter trade (only Doughty was a top 3 pick)

Washington took ~14 years after drafting Ovechkin to win a cup (and multiple version of the core/coach)

Pittsburgh were going nowhere with Crosby and Malkin until the Hagelin/Kessel trade (Catalysts to both of their cup)

Chicago did in fact won 3 cup by tanking. Toews and Kane were the primary reason they won.

But I was mostly referring to recent tanking (and I mean real tanking - selling off everyone over 27) with 3 lotteries instead of 1 (guaranteed of top 2 pick if you finished last).

Edmonton has had multiple #1 overall and they’re still a 2 man team.

Buffalo have been tanking forever and yet they still struggle to put a decent team on the ice.

Rangers, aren’t going anywhere so far even though they added a #1 D and top 10 player last summer.

Vancouver were hot to start the season but are cooling off very fast and they’ve been in tank mode forever.

Arizona has been rebuilding forever and had to sell multiple young assets and high draft pick to take a very little step forward.

Ottawa aren’t going anywhere since they announced a rebuild

Detroit is a total joke yet they’ve been tanking for the past 4-5 years

Reactions: patches67

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Well Caufield you may be right there but saying you wouldn't trade Petry for Saad and Gus unless there was a big add is just foolish.

I don't think you watch Petry play much then. That, or you're severely overrated Saad. We have plenty of middle six, secondary scoring guys- heck, almost the whole forward group is. Montreal needs elite, game breaking talent. We arent trading you a top 2 Dman or a A+ prospect for dime a dozen players.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There isn’t 10 different teams that won the cup in the past decade. Just out of my head Boston (2011) and St-Louis (2019) never ever tanked.

L.A (2 cups) catalyst was the Richard/Carter trade (only Doughty was a top 3 pick)

Washington took ~14 years after drafting Ovechkin to win a cup (and multiple version of the core/coach)

Pittsburgh were going nowhere with Crosby and Malkin until the Hagelin/Kessel trade (Catalysts to both of their cup)

Chicago did in fact won 3 cup by tanking. Toews and Kane were the primary reason they won.

But I was mostly referring to recent tanking (and I mean real tanking - selling off everyone over 27) with 3 lotteries instead of 1 (guaranteed of top 2 pick if you finished last).

Edmonton has had multiple #1 overall and they’re still a 2 man team.

Buffalo have been tanking forever and yet they still struggle to put a decent team on the ice.

Rangers, aren’t going anywhere so far even though they added a #1 D and top 10 player last summer.

Vancouver were hot to start the season but are cooling off very fast and they’ve been in tank mode forever.

Arizona has been rebuilding forever and had to sell multiple young assets and high draft pick to take a very little step forward.

Ottawa aren’t going anywhere since they announced a rebuild

Detroit is a total joke yet they’ve been tanking for the past 4-5 years

If you can convince yourself that Phil Kessel and Carl Hagelin were the catalysts for a Pittsburgh team that had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and had already won one Stanley Cup and been to another Cup Finals before they got there, you can probably convince yourself of anything. But, if you do use your list of catalysts, then you have to consider how LA got Mike Richards. It was trading Brayden Schenn who was a top-5 pick who still had a lot of promise.

Really though, you need to re-consider what tanking actually is. Detroit and Vancouver do not fit the bill at all. Both teams propped themselves up into mediocrity by signing over-priced UFAs in order to try and remain competitive and more importantly, they haven’t seen a single draft pick in the top-3 or higher. Vancouver has hit Hughes and Pettersson in the later parts of the top-10, but Detroit still hasn’t drafted a single can’t miss franchise player. If you tank right for many years, you will get at least one franchise player pretty quickly.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
We laugh, but I wouldn't be surprised if Berg was entertaining the thought of getting Shawzy back.

I mean Domi hasn't been the same without him.

He's a much better RW option than Armia.

Maybe get one of their D as well?

I don't know...

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
THe thing is, I'm awaiting for a story like Babcock but on Therrien.

Therrien was laughing at one recruit he made cry in the habs lockeroom 1 year ago at 91.9 during an interview. Lets say I won't be in shock if he comes out in the media.

Depends if the recruit is still with Montreal. Bergevin is still with the team after all and Therrien was his coach

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Shaw and Gus for?
I really don't know. I won't pretend to know what the Hawks needs are.

I would be willing to give up youth and picks if Management really is high on the players they would be getting.

Poehling, Juulsen, Mete, Harris, Ylonen, picks 2 3 4. Doubt they trade our 1st rounder seeing the draft is in Montreal.

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If you can convince yourself that Phil Kessel and Carl Hagelin were the catalysts for a Pittsburgh team that had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and had already won one Stanley Cup and been to another Cup Finals before they got there, you can probably convince yourself of anything. But, if you do use your list of catalysts, then you have to consider how LA got Mike Richards. It was trading Brayden Schenn who was a top-5 pick who still had a lot of promise.

Really though, you need to re-consider what tanking actually is. Detroit and Vancouver do not fit the bill at all. Both teams propped themselves up into mediocrity by signing over-priced UFAs in order to try and remain competitive and more importantly, they haven’t seen a single draft pick in the top-3 or higher. Vancouver has hit Hughes and Pettersson in the later parts of the top-10, but Detroit still hasn’t drafted a single can’t miss franchise player. If you tank right for many years, you will get at least one franchise player pretty quickly.

Until those two came over Pittsburgh was going nowhere in the playoff. They were irrelevant for a good 5 years until, well, Hagelin and Kessel were traded to Pitts.

Vancouver did hit on Pettersson and Hughes, but they have been rebuilding since 2013. Buffalo has not had a positive season despite drafting Dahlin (1), Eichel (2), Reinhart (2), Mittelstadt (8) and many other mid to late first round pick.

The biggest need these teams had at the time were leadership. Just like any other jobs, when you’re a kid and starting your career, you have to have somebody to look up to and the better that person is at said job, the better you will become the long run (granted you are talented at what you do). The amount of players that can become that “guy” where teammates leech upon for knowledge, work ethic, techniques without learning it from someone else could probably be counted on a single hand (these guys tend to be generational talents - Crosby, McDavid, Kane, Doughty, Weber come to mind)

Having those players in your team goes beyond the play on the ice. Younger guys leech off these guys in all aspect of the game - from inside to outside the rink and it helps them become better hockey player in the long run.

This is (in my opinion) why some veteran will never get traded unless they request a trade. The Sedins, Chara, Weber/Price in Montreal is a couple examples. The value these guys bring in leadership for your future core is so much more valuable than what their market value would be to a contender.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sounds dumb as hell, but wouldn't be surprised if Shaw goes back to Montreal in some fashion if Julien feels they really miss what he brings in terms of character, energy, and the style he likes to play. Montreal is really lacking identity now that he seemed to bring and maybe they want the energy they had last year because the Habs look flat and lost

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad