Potential Avs Lineups

Will the top line be split up to start the season?

• Total voters

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So, what if Kaut has changed his ways and burns training camp to the ground??? If so, I think he makes the roster out of camp.
I could live with that.

Landeskog -- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Kadri ---------- Newhook --- Burakovsky
Nichuskin ------ Jost -------- Kaut
Helm ---------- Maltsev ----- Compher/O'Connor

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'd rather see Nich and Newhook swapped. Let him play with better talent + better development and Nichushkin/Jost seem to have good chemistry when they play together.

I’d be fine either way.

Nichushkin works well with Kadri and Burakovsky though because he can just quietly drive possession while those two handle the puck.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Sidenote but a low-key important signing will be getting Nichushkin locked up. Such a stud and perfect bottom 6 player.

They should be able to bring him back with the cap space they have next year.

I wouldn’t go crazy on the salary to sign him, but I’d probably slightly overpay from what his production dictates to retain him.

Even though his offence is super meh, the line he’s on rarely gets caved in with chances and that’s valuable.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
They should be able to bring him back with the cap space they have next year.

I wouldn’t go crazy on the salary to sign him, but I’d probably slightly overpay from what his production dictates he should get.

Even though his offence is super meh, the line he’s on rarely gets caved in with chances and that’s valuable.
Yup. Wouldn't go crazy but would be fine with 4+ years @ 3M +

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Man these lineups are terrible, if the west wasn't riddled with piss poor teams... Sea, LA, SJ, AZ, Minny and every Canadian team I would say the Avs don't make the playoffs.

Joe should be ashamed, just trade everyone and start over

Reactions: shadow1

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Man these lineups are terrible, if the west wasn't riddled with piss poor teams... Sea, LA, SJ, AZ, Minny and every Canadian team I would say the Avs don't make the playoffs.

Joe should be ashamed, just trade everyone and start over

All because of losing Saad? D and goaltending are clearly better than last year.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
This is essentially 2 scoring lines ( barely) and 2 shut down lines ( barely.) It's a ticket to another second round exit, IMO.
The west is pretty weak so who knows. However, they Avs don't have a strong 2nd, 3rd or 4th line.

The expectation is once again that the 1st line carries the offense and the team might as well not leave the house on nights they are not feeling it.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I predict JTC not being on the Avs when the season starts. Sakic will package him for a 2nd line winger. There is a deal there that can be made.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
It's too soon , but i wonder how many try out invites will they send at the camp.
Who's the last player who made the Avs roster on a try out ?

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I predict JTC not being on the Avs when the season starts. Sakic will package him for a 2nd line winger. There is a deal there that can be made.

JTC, analytics darling or anchor contract? I think Sakic is coming to appreciate the value of flexibility under the cap, especially if you can add offensive production and create a dependable scoring line.

Reactions: the_fan

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's too soon , but i wonder how many try out invites will they send at the camp.
Who's the last player who made the Avs roster on a try out ?

One of the Bourques? I can't remember if either one was initially a PTO. Maybe Skille?

Glencross and Cowen were let go pretty quick.

Reactions: Frenchy

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

JTC, analytics darling or anchor contract? I think Sakic is coming to appreciate the value of flexibility under the cap, especially if you can add offensive production and create a dependable scoring line.
It wouldn't surprise me if Jost is the one moved in a trade for a 2LW, rather than Compher.

Avs have Newhook on the team now who they need to prepare for the 2C spot ASAP because Kadri will walk next July. Newhook needs to play C, a lot. Jost at 3C blocks the obvious spot in the lineup for Newhook to play C.

Jost likely also has more trade value than Compher due to age, caphit, analytics, and the fact that he's better on the PK and at playing center.

There are teams out there who have a glut of 2nd line/middle 6 forwards but need a 3C and who would likely be willing to bet on Jost doing a solid enough job for them there.

Reactions: the_fan

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Our forward group is back to what it was a couple years ago where we're a one line team, unless a couple of prospects step up big time. Damn flat cap. Next year is going to be even more of a bloodbath roster-wise. Also stings that of all of Francis's horrible moves, he negatively impacted us the most between Grubauer, Donskoi, and the cost to replace Grubauer.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs badly need two dependable scoring lines to have a chance to go all the way. The only solution with this roster is to split MacKinnon and Rantanen and make them carry their own lines.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me if Jost is the one moved in a trade for a 2LW, rather than Compher.

Avs have Newhook on the team now who they need to prepare for the 2C spot ASAP because Kadri will walk next July. Newhook needs to play C, a lot. Jost at 3C blocks the obvious spot in the lineup for Newhook to play C.

Jost likely also has more trade value than Compher due to age, caphit, analytics, and the fact that he's better on the PK and at playing center.

There are teams out there who have a glut of 2nd line/middle 6 forwards but need a 3C and who would likely be willing to bet on Jost doing a solid enough job for them there.

This is exactly what I mean in terms of Sakic identifying other teams’ needs and vulnerabilities in terms of being ready to make trades leading up to the TDL.

Yeah, I want to dump JTC ‘s contract and his PK’ing isn’t enough to make me want to keep him. But Jost is definitely trade bait if the right opportunity comes up. I would rather have Cizikas over Jost. So no, no objection to trading Jost. I’d only be surprised by a trade because Sakic just extended him.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Avs badly need two dependable scoring lines to have a chance to go all the way. The only solution with this roster is to split MacKinnon and Rantanen and make them carry their own lines.
Or you put Newhook at 2C with Kadri on the wing and hope it clicks somehow.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
IF we breakup the top line I think we see:
Landy-MacK-Newhook
Bura-Kadri-Rantanen
Nuke-Jost-Compher
Helm-Maltese-LOC

Byram-Makar
Girard-Toews
Murray-Johnson

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Heck, I'll throw a version in, if only to give people a chance to all me an idiot!

I should state that I have always been in favor of balance, not a lopsided acquisition like Eichel. I think that Sakic blew it on this count, likely because of too much confidence ( misplaced) in Jost and JTC.

Kadri-MacK-Newhook
Bura-Landy-Rantanen
Nuke-Jost-LOC
Helm-Maltsev-JTC

Murray - Makar
Girard - Toews
Byram - EJ
MacEverybody

I think that looking at any line-up without looking at defense leads to inaccurate decisions about this team. Makar is an offensive monster. Girard and Toews have good offensive skills. Byram might turn out to be Makar Jr this season. It is not as if there are 3 Murray and 3 Graves back there. And wiht a partner like Murray - as opposed to Gravy - Makar would know that somebody is covering the blue line, letting him freelance a bit.

Let's start with Line 2. Bura and Mikko are potent wings, but that puts the two best snipers on one line. Why ruin that by centering it with Kadri? He is too selfish to drive plays t the snipers. Landy takes most of Mac's face-offs as it is. He is disciplined. So putting him on a line with the two snipers, plus Girard / Toews as the second pair, makes that a formidable scoring line.

Line 1: I realize placing Kadri there sounds crazy. But, again, Makar is essentially another wing on that line. Kadri does not have to worry about driving the line. It also puts the best face-off man on the first line.

Line 3 has already proven some chemistry in limited minutes. That is a high intensity shut down line. I might even pair them against the opponents' #1 line, then allow Mac to feast on lesser lines ( and transitively, the sniper line facing other teams' third lines.)

I am not sure what to do with the 4th line. All three have speed. Maybe all three could be part of a trade for something better? Short of that, perhaps Bednar uses them intermittently to tire out the first line of opponents.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
IF we breakup the top line I think we see:
Landy-MacK-Newhook
Bura-Kadri-Rantanen
Nuke-Jost-Compher
Helm-Maltese-LOC

Byram-Makar
Girard-Toews
Murray-Johnson

I feel like breaking up the top line is something we should be more open to, especially come playoff time when they'll really be honed in on.

Bura-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Kadri-Nuke
Newhook-Jost-Compher
Helm-Maltese-LOC

Still think we could use another top 6 guy, but I see that coming at the TDL more than I do during the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad