Potential Avs Lineups

Will the top line be split up to start the season?

• Total voters

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Heck, I'll throw a version in, if only to give people a chance to all me an idiot!

I should state that I have always been in favor of balance, not a lopsided acquisition like Eichel. I think that Sakic blew it on this count, likely because of too much confidence ( misplaced) in Jost and JTC.

Kadri-MacK-Newhook
Bura-Landy-Rantanen
Nuke-Jost-LOC
Helm-Maltsev-JTC

Murray - Makar
Girard - Toews
Byram - EJ
MacEverybody

I think that looking at any line-up without looking at defense leads to inaccurate decisions about this team. Makar is an offensive monster. Girard and Toews have good offensive skills. Byram might turn out to be Makar Jr this season. It is not as if there are 3 Murray and 3 Graves back there. And wiht a partner like Murray - as opposed to Gravy - Makar would know that somebody is covering the blue line, letting him freelance a bit.

Let's start with Line 2. Bura and Mikko are potent wings, but that puts the two best snipers on one line. Why ruin that by centering it with Kadri? He is too selfish to drive plays t the snipers. Landy takes most of Mac's face-offs as it is. He is disciplined. So putting him on a line with the two snipers, plus Girard / Toews as the second pair, makes that a formidable scoring line.

Line 1: I realize placing Kadri there sounds crazy. But, again, Makar is essentially another wing on that line. Kadri does not have to worry about driving the line. It also puts the best face-off man on the first line.

Line 3 has already proven some chemistry in limited minutes. That is a high intensity shut down line. I might even pair them against the opponents' #1 line, then allow Mac to feast on lesser lines ( and transitively, the sniper line facing other teams' third lines.)

I am not sure what to do with the 4th line. All three have speed. Maybe all three could be part of a trade for something better? Short of that, perhaps Bednar uses them intermittently to tire out the first line of opponents.
At least you got the bottom 6 right

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Jost will always be an Av. If not roster-wise, then in Joe's heart. lol

NHL Tonight had JTC slotted at left wing on the 2nd line last night. Thats just frickin' nuts.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Heck, I'll throw a version in, if only to give people a chance to all me an idiot!

I should state that I have always been in favor of balance, not a lopsided acquisition like Eichel. I think that Sakic blew it on this count, likely because of too much confidence ( misplaced) in Jost and JTC.

Kadri-MacK-Newhook
Bura-Landy-Rantanen
Nuke-Jost-LOC
Helm-Maltsev-JTC

Murray - Makar
Girard - Toews
Byram - EJ
MacEverybody

I think that looking at any line-up without looking at defense leads to inaccurate decisions about this team. Makar is an offensive monster. Girard and Toews have good offensive skills. Byram might turn out to be Makar Jr this season. It is not as if there are 3 Murray and 3 Graves back there. And wiht a partner like Murray - as opposed to Gravy - Makar would know that somebody is covering the blue line, letting him freelance a bit.

Let's start with Line 2. Bura and Mikko are potent wings, but that puts the two best snipers on one line. Why ruin that by centering it with Kadri? He is too selfish to drive plays t the snipers. Landy takes most of Mac's face-offs as it is. He is disciplined. So putting him on a line with the two snipers, plus Girard / Toews as the second pair, makes that a formidable scoring line.

Line 1: I realize placing Kadri there sounds crazy. But, again, Makar is essentially another wing on that line. Kadri does not have to worry about driving the line. It also puts the best face-off man on the first line.

Line 3 has already proven some chemistry in limited minutes. That is a high intensity shut down line. I might even pair them against the opponents' #1 line, then allow Mac to feast on lesser lines ( and transitively, the sniper line facing other teams' third lines.)

I am not sure what to do with the 4th line. All three have speed. Maybe all three could be part of a trade for something better? Short of that, perhaps Bednar uses them intermittently to tire out the first line of opponents.
Kardi and Mac are like oil and water when playing together. They are absolutely a mess together everytime last time bendar tried it last season

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Landy - MacK - Rants
Newhook - Kandri - Bura
Nuke - Jost - Compher
Maltsev - Helm - LOC

Toews - Makar
Murray - Girard
Byram - EJ

Kuemper
Francouz

Scratches: JMac, KMac, Ranta

Hopefully, by some miracle of god who I don’t believe in, Joe can trade JTC and acquire a top 6 winger

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Some nice shifts of Makar and Byram paired together in Byram's first NHL game.

Wouldn't be surprised for the plan to be:

Byram - Makar
Girard - Toews
Murrray - EJ

That lets your PP2 guys Girard and Toews build chemistry, and also has Murray and Johnson as the top PK pairing together for DZ starts.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Byram - Makar
Girard - Toews
Murrray - EJ

That lets your PP2 guys Girard and Toews build chemistry, and also has Murray and Johnson as the top PK pairing together for DZ starts.

Okay, you win. I’m aboard.

Reactions: Richard88

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Byram - Makar
Girard - Toews
Murrray - EJ

This to me is the only thing thats acceptable. You pair these two up when TC opens up. Cale and Bo together and you figure the other pairings however you see fit. You aint losing offense by doing this because Girard and Toews can also give you that.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
Barring EJ injury
Landy - MacK - Rants
Kadri - newhook - Bura
Nuke - Jost - LOC
Maltsev - Helm - compher

Toews - Makar
Murray - Girard
Byram - EJ

Kuemper
Francouz

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Landeskog-Newhook-MacDermid
JTC-Kadri-Burakovsky
Maltsev-MacKinnon-Jost
LOC-Helm-Rantanen

Toews-Makar
Girard-EJ
Byram-Murray

JJ
Kuemper

Spread the wealth up front

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bo may start the season with EJ, but at some point he's going to end up paired with Makar most of the time, and they are going to be a dominant top pair in all zones.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kept the primary line intact. Elevated Compher being RH to the 2nd line for greater visibility for possible trade. Kaut needs an opportunity or traded in a sheltered 3rd line role. Newhook is a natural C between defensive Nuke and Sniper Kaut. Jost will never be a scorer, but provides adequate defence between Helm and LOC.

Defence can be interchangeable, expect health concern with Murray & EJ. Split the youngsters Makar/Girard/Byram to partner with a more experienced player.

Landy - Mack - Rants
Bura - Kadri - Compher
Nuke - Newhook - Kaut
Helm - Jost - LOC

Toews - Makar
Murray - Girard
Byram - EJ
Macdonald - Mckeown

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Interesting how many here are saying that the #1 in ice time should just simply be taken away from opening lineup. What exactly would you want Toews to provide so that he'd be considered good enough in your papers? Last season (including playoffs) obviously wasn't good enough, so what's the key thing he needs to bring to the table?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting how many here are saying that the #1 in ice time should just simply be taken away from opening lineup. What exactly would you want Toews to provide so that he'd be considered good enough in your papers? Last season (including playoffs) obviously wasn't good enough, so what's the key thing he needs to bring to the table?

It's not about Toews it's about Byram. Toews was the Avs #1 last year because Bo and Cale were first and second year defenseman. They will eventually become the minute munchers for the Avs.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Kept the primary line intact. Elevated Compher being RH to the 2nd line for greater visibility for possible trade. Kaut needs an opportunity or traded in a sheltered 3rd line role. Newhook is a natural C between defensive Nuke and Sniper Kaut. Jost will never be a scorer, but provides adequate defence between Helm and LOC.

Defence can be interchangeable, expect health concern with Murray & EJ. Split the youngsters Makar/Girard/Byram to partner with a more experienced player.

Landy - Mack - Rants
Bura - Kadri - Compher
Nuke - Newhook - Kaut
Helm - Jost - LOC

Toews - Makar
Murray - Girard
Byram - EJ
Macdonald - Mckeown

Kaut over Maltsev?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
This is how I see it at the moment, but I also think you have two players punching above their weight class right now in Kaut and Newhook. Could one or both be ready? Sure, but we don't know that for sure.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Jost - Kaut
Malsev - Helm - LOC

Girard - Toews
Byram - Makar
Murray - Johnson

Reactions: flyfysher

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Happy to see many wanting to see LOC on the 3rd line. That line could be very effective at grinding down and tiring out the opposition. It has the benefit of forcing JTC into the 4th or healthy scratch to hopefully turn his game around as it appears Joe is married to this guy.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

For me, it's about spreading the wealth a bit. Toews-Makar together is great, but Toews-Girard was also really good together. If we could get Murray to play with Makar, or Byram takes that next step than we have two fantastic pairings that can play a good chunk of the game. Ideally if Pairing 1 and Pairing 2 can play 40-45 minutes/night that leaves the third pairing a much easier load. Especially since EJ and Murray are so injury prone, it might be a good idea to manage that 3rd pairing since it'll likely consist of Mac, Mac and Mc for good chunks of the season.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
Honest question, is it a concern having so many left shot right wings? I think for Rantanen and Burakovsky they like it for the shot angles and they can still cycle up top but I feel like it takes away a lot general play effectiveness. If you are coming up the wing on a breakout aren't the pass options better playing on your shot side (takes away some of the ice)? Also doesn't it take away a wrap around chance if you are not playing your shot side? When there is a board battle does this put you at a disadvantage as well? Does having too many left side shots help the opposing goalie by not changing the shot angles from the wings (similar to handedness in baseball)? Sorry if these are common sense or widely known but I've never played hockey I just watch it but these are things I've wondered before.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Being a right shot center probably is a good chunk of the reason why Bednar can’t quit Compher for some reasons above.

Maltsev is definitely going to play, that’s one of the few things Sakic actually said.

I don’t really take D pairs that serious because it’s mixed up so much out there but I think Byram-EJ is more their idea for the third pair to start. Murray is going to take the Graves ~20 minutes a night PK role.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Being a right shot center probably is a good chunk of the reason why Bednar can’t quit Compher for some reasons above.

Maltsev is definitely going to play, that’s one of the few things Sakic actually said.

I don’t really take D pairs that serious because it’s mixed up so much out there but I think Byram-EJ is more their idea for the third pair to start. Murray is going to take the Graves ~20 minutes a night PK role.
Sakic also said that Timmins was going to be given a bigger role, and then he traded him two hours later.

Sakic is obviously going to say that they expect Maltsev to play because he traded for him, but things can change by camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->