Potential Avs Lineups

Will the top line be split up to start the season?

• Total voters

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sakic also said that Timmins was going to be given a bigger role, and then he traded him two hours later.

Sakic is obviously going to say that they expect Maltsev to play because he traded for him, but things can change by camp.
That was Byram. I’ve listened to exactly what he said about Byram several times lol. Timmins he said he liked what he did at the end of the year.

Yeah it’s just talk but they also tend to give favor to guys they traded for too.

NHesterly

Jul 6, 2015
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Newhook-Kadri-Burakovsky
Nichushkin-Jost-Compher
Helm-Maltsev-O'Connor

Toews-Makar
Murray-Girard
Byram-Johnson
MacDermid

Kuemper
Francouz

outoftune

Nov 16, 2011
1000 Chopper Circle
Landy - Mack - Rants
JTC - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Newhook - Jost
Maltsev- Helm - O'Connor

1st injury - Sampo
2nd injury - Kaut

Toews Girard
Byram Makar
Murray EJ
Popcorn - Macdermid

1st injury - Macdonald
2nd injury - Macdermid

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
The forward group looks bad

How so though? Top 6 is in tact pretty well from last season. Saad got 24 points in 44 games. Check out Newhook's stats:
+ Plays for Boston College, gets well over a point per game (fair enough)
+ Goes straight into the NHL, gets 3 points in 6 games (similar strike rate to Saad this season, but on much less talented lines), at plus 5 thank you very much. Bednar sends him back to the A, and he struggles (9 points in 8 games - 5 of those goals) - note I was being sarcastic there. I honestly don't think we go back from Saad's production with Newhook there. It's parody if at all, and jeez, the up tick on this kid, could be huge. Develop him so he can slot into Kadri's position at some point.

Then you have your bottom 6. I'll break it down (in my way of thinking, and in my opinion).

1. Helm versus Bellemare - I LOVED Belle, but Helm has quicker wheels, is younger and probably more productive upswing. Take into consideration, he's going to be fed the puck from two of EJ, Makar, Girard, Murray, Toews or Byram. Improvement here.

2. Nichushkin versus Nichushkin - Scored 4 points in his first 20 last season, then 17 points in his last 35 games (of the season proper). He literally improved in front of my eyes, and was a real presence, so having a healthy, fired up Nuke is at LEAST parody, but more likely an improvement.

3. Jost versus Jost- This one's simple. The more he plays, the more he improves. He was off productively last season. 9 points in his last 17 games thank you very much. 4 points in 10 playoff games. He'll be better this season. Probably with more ice time and expectation. Let's be conservative and call parody like Nuke.

4. Maltzev versus Calvert - 3 points in 18 games for Matty. Missed a huge chunk of the season (and most others). I loved Calvert, added so much, especially on the PK. Maltzev will add more value, because he'll likely be there, on ice. His scoring pace on a TERRIBLE Jersey team (6th worst scoring team in the league) was three times that of our Matty - so I'm calling improvement.

5. Compher versus Compher - had an AWFUL year by his standards. He's going to be getting a much more impactful role this coming season, and the only way is UP. He's usually good for around a point every second game, and I do feel he'll get back to that with a very productive D behind him. Lots of players have a down year. Watch him bounce back. Calling it now, most improved player on our roster next season, scoring 35-45 points in 82 games. I'm calling improvement.

6. O'Connor versus Donskoi - productively I'll give you this one, but jeez he was patchy. like either ice cold or red hot. But for mine, it really comes down to role here. LOC will be playing a gritty, up tempo, chippy style, where I personally found Donskoi a bit soft at times, but possibly we go back a little here (productively only).

7. Kurtis McDermid - he sure as heck ain't playing EJ, Toews, Makar, Girard, Byram, Murray out of places, so I'm throwing him in at forward. We all saw the playoffs. Teams lean on us and bully us at times. Does Reaves belt Girard in the head that series, knowing McDermid will kick his head in? Possibly not. He, along with EJ back, Byram who has a chip on his shoulder, Kadri and others, we are tougher to play against, so improvement.

That's:
Improvement: 4 players in the bottom 6
Parody: 2 players in the bottom 6
Regression: 1 player in the bottom 6 (but only productively)

Sorry for the huge post.

Summary: We are good. Lock in the Staley Cup for Avs 2022

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If everything goes well, Avs should be fine and this are the things that need to go well...

1 Kuemper staying healthy
2 EJ and Murray staying healthy
3 Newhook produces top 6 level playing on that 2nd line
4 JTC having a improved season.

If all this things happen, Avs will be just fine but that's a lot of ifs.... we'll see

Reactions: Oblivion Beckons

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
That's:
Improvement: 4 players in the bottom 6
Parody: 2 players in the bottom 6
Regression: 1 player in the bottom 6 (but only productively)

Sorry for the huge post.

Summary: We are good. Lock in the Staley Cup for Avs 2022

I agree with you for the most part. I have made similar comparisons. I think overall, our offense with be roughly on par with last year. The D is (should be) somehow slightly better at moving the puck, and the losses at F are being mostly made up as you illustrate. The only real decline I could see is in faceoffs, which are at most only situationally important.

But for the love of language....

Parody :a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing. For example...Blazing Saddles is a parody of western films.

Parity: the state or condition of being equal; equality, as in amount, status, or character. For example, the AUD and SGD are roughly at parity right now.

Nothing against you, but after a plethora of annoying (admittedly minor, and mostly from others not you) mistakes such as this, I had to say something. Like "take the reigns" is wrong. It is reins....the items you use to drive/lead a horse. And others that I don't want to get into, as this really isn't the place.

Feel free to ignore me though. Love your enthusiasm.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
What I want to see:

Wingerli - MacK - Rants
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Newhook - Kaut
LOC - Jost - Compher

Reasonings:

Landy and Nuke are on their lines to help them defensively.
Could swap LOC to 1st line if Wingerli isn't NHL level.
Newhook gets to play C.
Compher could be switched for one of the new guys since he's not great defensively.
If Kaut can't keep up, then swap in Compher for him and someone else to the 4th line.

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
I agree with you for the most part. I have made similar comparisons. I think overall, our offense with be roughly on par with last year. The D is (should be) somehow slightly better at moving the puck, and the losses at F are being mostly made up as you illustrate. The only real decline I could see is in faceoffs, which are at most only situationally important.

But for the love of language....

Parody :a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing. For example...Blazing Saddles is a parody of western films.

Parity: the state or condition of being equal; equality, as in amount, status, or character. For example, the AUD and SGD are roughly at parity right now.

Nothing against you, but after a plethora of annoying (admittedly minor, and mostly from others not you) mistakes such as this, I had to say something. Like "take the reigns" is wrong. It is reins....the items you use to drive/lead a horse. And others that I don't want to get into, as this really isn't the place.

Feel free to ignore me though. Love your enthusiasm.

The thing is, the post almost makes sense if you read "parody" instead of "parity". It just really conflicts with the tone of the message.

I had to read it a few times before I figured out the spelling error.

Agree: Love the enthusiasm!

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
@Sea Eagles can do no wrong in my book.

With all the negativity and contrarianism around here, his enduring optimism is like opening a window in a stale apartment. This place desperately needs to be aired out after the Vegas loss.

Thanks mate, I appreciate that. I just think many on here are over analysing and over complicating things.

Vegas series. We had them in skill and star quality power. We lacked in size and grit. That's been addressed with the return of EJ, Byram has a chip on his shoulders , Maltzev is a big body, and I honestly believe Reaves doesn't run at Girard, if he knew McDermid would beat his ass (sorry for the language) for it.

Believe it or not, the president cup trophy winners just became harder to play against.

Losing Saad is rough, but we are replacing him with in my opinion the most exciting forward prospect in the league , who on bottom lines already scored at a similar rate to Saad.

Our backend. Wow. We stay fit, I truly believe Kuemper will win the Vezina.

Toews - Makar (includes best D-man in the league)
Girard - Johnson (used to be our top pairing)
Byram - Murray - (4th overall, 2nd overall , 3rd pairing !! Hahaha)

Kuemper (played behind BAD teams)
Francouz (was challenging Grub remember)

Honestly, that's ridiculous good healthy. Ridiculous.

This is our cup year. It's happening..

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Kaprizov doesn't want to sign with the Wild maybe. What will it take to get this guy on the Avs. He's a LW exactly what the Avs need on their 2nd line

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kaprizov doesn't want to sign with the Wild maybe. What will it take to get this guy on the Avs. He's a LW exactly what the Avs need on their 2nd line
I think Kaprizov is serious about how he'd rather play in the KHL. The Wild had to beg and plead to get him to come over at all, I think he would literally rather go home unless the Wild overpay him to stay. Most of the time, the KHL is an empty threat, but I think Kirill just likes playing in Russia.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Kaprizov is serious about how he'd rather play in the KHL. The Wild had to beg and plead to get him to come over at all, I think he would literally rather go home unless the Wild overpay him to stay. Most of the time, the KHL is an empty threat, but I think Kirill just likes playing in Russia.
Maybe he just doesn't want to sign in Minnesota because the team doesn't have a real direction. Who the hell knows what Guerin is doing there

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Now that the roster is looking closer to being solidified, I thought it would be nice to have a thread to throw out potential lineups. I’m just putting down what I’d like to see, not what I think will happen.

I would start the season with Murray/Makar, then transition to Byram/Makar if Byram is ready. If not, potentially go back to Toews/Makar and Girard/EJ if Murray underwhelms.

Personally, I’d like to spread out the scoring throughout the forward group. Split up the top line, and let Bura/Newhook develop chemistry on the 3rd line.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Compher
Nichushkin - Kadri - Rantanen
Jost - Newhook - Burakovsky
Helm - Maltsev - LOC

Murray - Makar
Toews - Girard
Byram - Johnson

Kuemper
Francouz

clever Jedi mind trick putting Compher on line one to build up JTCs value. Get him to the point it’s not negative value so we can trade him for virtually nothing but with no retention. Then use his cap space more wisely.

McJedi approves, but JTC must be traded off the roster by November 20th. I can’t handle more than ten or so games of JTCs utterly hollow game.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What I want to see:

Wingerli - MacK - Rants
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Newhook - Kaut
LOC - Jost - Compher

Reasonings:

Landy and Nuke are on their lines to help them defensively.
Could swap LOC to 1st line if Wingerli isn't NHL level.
Newhook gets to play C.
Compher could be switched for one of the new guys since he's not great defensively.
If Kaut can't keep up, then swap in Compher for him and someone else to the 4th line.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Metallo

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Newhook-MacKinnon-Burakovsky
Landeskog-Kadri-Rantanen
Nikchushkin-Jost-Kaut
Ranta-Maltsev-O'Connor

With @Sea Eagles D-Pairings.

I'm not expecting Newhook to be a superstar 1st line winger. I expect him to be MacKinnon's understudy and try his best at the NHL level being gifted every offensive zone start possible with MacKinnon. Plus MacKinnon has a kid with speed he can groom and setup as well as Burakovsky who is capable of scoring in bunches. Nate can shot as much as he wants but this line is most likely also going to have Toews-Cale on their backend too. There will be good defense and their will be plenty of firepower, I don't think I'd be scared to try it for a while. Can always swap Bura and Rants at anytime.

Second line is really a 1-B line. With Rants and Landy both capable of doing heavy lifting. If/when Kadri goes into a funk they'll still make things work, plus Landy will keep Kadri on a short leash hopefully...although, I have no idea how he could've stopped him from doing what he did. But maybe he can give him a St. Crispin's day speech between whistles or something.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
clever Jedi mind trick putting Compher on line one to build up JTCs value. Get him to the point it’s not negative value so we can trade him for virtually nothing but with no retention. Then use his cap space more wisely.

McJedi approves, but JTC must be traded off the roster by November 20th. I can’t handle more than ten or so games of JTCs utterly hollow game.

I don't get the Compher hate. He was on a 17 goal pace last year playing with garbage linemates. Sure he may be over paid but he plays a role on this team.

Landeskog- Mackinnon- Rantanen
*No reason to break up the best line in the league

Compher- Kadri- Burakovsky
*I think the goal will be to have Newhook on the 2nd line but he needs to show he can play 17 minutes a night and not be pushed around or be a liability defensively. Kadri should be in for a bounce back year.

O'Connor- Jost- Nichushkin
*100% hustle line. These guys will be a pain to play against and will chip in some offense too

Helm- Maltsev- Newhook
*I like this line. Helm is good defensively and we can shelter Newhooks minutes to start the year and bump him up if he shows well. They should also chip in offense and will most likely be an advantage over the other 4th lines in the league.

Toews - Makar
*Nothing to see here. One of the top pairings in the league.

Murray - Girard
*Murray is solid defensively and can shelter Girard.

Byram - MacDermid
*I'm not putting EJ in the lineup until I see him make it through camp healthy. MacDermid can be Byrams bodyguard and will make teams think twice when getting physical with our stars. I'd like him to be an every game guy. And like Newhook, if Byram holds up and shows he can play 20 minutes he could jump up to the 2nd pairing.

I still wouldn't be opposed to trading Girard and maybe Comphers contract for a center with term like JT Miller. If EJ plays great. If not we can play McDonald. We are loaded at D and will use a position of strength to fix a weakness.

Kadri- Miller- Burakovsky
Helm- Maltsev- Newhook

Toews - Makar
Murray - Byram
McDonald - MacDermid
*Johnson

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I think I would try

Landy - Mack - Burakovsky
Newhook - Kadri - Rantanen
Nuke - Jost - LOC
Helm / Ranta - Maltsev - Compher

Byram - Makar
Toews - Girard
Murray - EJ

Swap Rantanen and Burakovsky since bura needs a passer and Landy can be the defense on the first line.

Rantanen can drive his own line with Kadri and Newhook interchanging the center spot as needed for Newhook's development.

Nuke / Jost had good chemistry and advanced stats together. Add another guy like LOC who has a bit more scoring to him and jam and this line will be a solid defensive third.

Fourth line is a mismatch but it's where they all belong.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think I would try

Landy - Mack - Burakovsky
Newhook - Kadri - Rantanen
Nuke - Jost - LOC
Helm / Ranta - Maltsev - Compher

Byram - Makar
Toews - Girard
Murray - EJ

Swap Rantanen and Burakovsky since bura needs a passer and Landy can be the defense on the first line.

Rantanen can drive his own line with Kadri and Newhook interchanging the center spot as needed for Newhook's development.

Nuke / Jost had good chemistry and advanced stats together. Add another guy like LOC who has a bit more scoring to him and jam and this line will be a solid defensive third.

Fourth line is a mismatch but it's where they all belong.

Like it...but the lineup would be so much less cluttered if we weren't paying one of those 4th liners 3.5M per for two more years. Surely there is a GM with a future consideration burning a hole in his pocket somewhere. This is freaking Joe Sakic...how hard could it be to rid yourself JT's contract? Just ring Cliff Fletcher up, he's still in Toronto after all. Tell him your found the REAL J.T. He thought Finger was Kurt Sauer he'll buy it.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I don't get the Compher hate. He was on a 17 goal pace last year playing with garbage linemates. Sure he may be over paid but he plays a role on this team.

*No reason to break up the best line in the league

Compher- Kadri- Burakovsky
*I think the goal will be to have Newhook on the 2nd line but he needs to show he can play 17 minutes a night and not be pushed around or be a liability defensively. Kadri should be in for a bounce back year.

*100% hustle line. These guys will be a pain to play against and will chip in some offense too

Helm- Maltsev- Newhook
*I like this line. Helm is good defensively and we can shelter Newhooks minutes to start the year and bump him up if he shows well. They should also chip in offense and will most likely be an advantage over the other 4th lines in the league.

Toews - Makar
*Nothing to see here. One of the top pairings in the league.

Murray - Girard
*Murray is solid defensively and can shelter Girard.

Byram - MacDermid
*I'm not putting EJ in the lineup until I see him make it through camp healthy. MacDermid can be Byrams bodyguard and will make teams think twice when getting physical with our stars. I'd like him to be an every game guy. And like Newhook, if Byram holds up and shows he can play 20 minutes he could jump up to the 2nd pairing.

I still wouldn't be opposed to trading Girard and maybe Comphers contract for a center with term like JT Miller. If EJ plays great. If not we can play McDonald. We are loaded at D and will use a position of strength to fix a weakness.

Kadri- Miller- Burakovsky
Helm- Maltsev- Newhook

Toews - Makar
Murray - Byram
McDonald - MacDermid
*Johnson

I am fine with Compher as a 4W only. Not as a 2C or 2W or 3C or 3W since his play in those positions is uninspiring. And definitely not for 3.5M AAV which gets old real quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad