Rumor: Post-season Rumour Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think it's realistic Duchene takes less than 9M, not after the Skinner & EK deals... No agent in the world would let that happen.

Pavelski has been incredibly reliable, consistent and healthy.
He's flush with quality intangibles, is versatile, and would be providing value to our core group of young forwards for the next 3 years that MD certainly won't.

Pavelski is a better player and, imo, a FAR safer bet to deliver value & impact over the next 3 years than Duchene... While likely costing 1-2M less.

Tavares left $14M on the table to go to the team he wanted to play for so they can fit him in. Not saying Duchene leaves $7M on the table to sign with the Habs for sure but saying no agent will let this happen is not true. I happens, but it's rare.

Pavelski from 35-37 is more risky vs Duchene from 28-34 IMO. We can front load Duchene's contract with lots of signing bonus money in July. You make the offer at $8M for 7 years and if he says no, so be it. My plan B would not be Pavelski from the age of 35-37.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
What you don't understand is why the cap space is an expiring asset, which you refuted. It is. If we do not use it within the season, it's gone. It isn't added to our current cap space for the following season.

Maybe the next CBA will make it like a capital loss and you can carry it back...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
60-80 points is not a valid range. 20 points is VERY significant. Scoring over 70 points only once during a contract year makes me question if hes worth $10 million. He's pretty much a 55-65 point player based on those stats and I dont see us having the team to help him score 70+ again.

It is a valid range cause it's a fact. That's what he did in the last two years playing on two different teams. A lot of variables goes into it and it's anybodies guess what he can do with the Habs and our mix of forwards.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Tavares left $14M on the table to go to the team he wanted to play for so they can fit him in. Not saying Duchene leaves $7M on the table to sign with the Habs for sure but saying no agent will let this happen is not true. I happens, but it's rare.

Pavelski from 35-37 is more risky vs Duchene from 28-34 IMO. We can front load Duchene's contract with lots of signing bonus money in July. You make the offer at $8M for 7 years and if he says no, so be it. My plan B would not be Pavelski from the age of 35-37.

Tavares is a terrible example & not at all relevant.
He signed 7yrs at 11M.
He only left the extra year NYI could offer, which considering he's 34 at the end of this one, is actually a solid bet as far as earning considerably more in that 8th year if he's still healthy.

Duchene has already made clear he isn't going back to CBJ (so also isn't concerned about the extra year) and will likely get several 9-10.5M offers.
If you think he & his agent will leave that 7-10M$ on the table to play in Montreal, I appreciate your optimism...

But again, even at equal amounts for the next 3 yrs, I take Pavelski easily over Duchene.

Plus, adding a proven, versatile producer and talent like Pavelski, to a group with Price & Weber, is exactly the kind of move/addition we should be making IF we are using cap space to add elite talent.

If not, focus should be on offer sheets or leveraging cap to target deadline trade fodder & Armia type cap leveraging moves to further improve our young asset base.

Duchene is a bad target unless he takes a massive discount.

Reactions: CDN24

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It is a valid range cause it's a fact. That's what he did in the last two years playing on two different teams. A lot of variables goes into it and it's anybodies guess what he can do with the Habs and our mix of forwards.
It's most definitely not a valid range and it's not a fact either. That's pretty much the difference between a guy like Tatar and a Seguin.

You said he had:
14/15: 55 pts / 82 games
15/16: 64 pts / 82 games
16/17: 44 pts / 82 games
17/18: 59 pts / 82 games
18-19: 79 pts / 82 games

How does that mean 60-80 points? You can't just ignore what he did with the Avs... A lot of variables as in he won't have all the ice time in the world playing with Stone and Chabot or playing with guys like Panarin, Atkinson, Jones, Werenski? Because those teams have/had better elite talent than us.

Reactions: Tighthead

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
tell me, what are the 2 centers St-Louis used to win the cup ?
I don't see no Mcdavid, Matthews, Malkin, Crosby, Tavares in there.

it's not only 1 cookie cutter build, there's a bunch of them but the NHL is an old copy-cat league so people tried to do what Pitts did ( looking directly at Toronto )

Schenn and O'reilly and i would take any of them ahead of both Domi and Danault.....funny thing is that GM got both of them in 12 months and it took 7 years for Bergevin to get what we have.

Just look at their size compare.....to any of our forwards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's most definitely not a valid range and it's not a fact either. That's pretty much the difference between a guy like Tatar and a Seguin.

You said he had:
14/15: 55 pts / 82 games
15/16: 64 pts / 82 games
16/17: 44 pts / 82 games
17/18: 59 pts / 82 games
18-19: 79 pts / 82 games

How does that mean 60-80 points? You can't just ignore what he did with the Avs... A lot of variables as in he won't have all the ice time in the world playing with Stone and Chabot or playing with guys like Panarin, Atkinson, Jones, Werenski? Because those teams have/had better elite talent than us.

Cause I said in the last two years? He is in his prime years after all. I don't have a problem saying he has ability to produce 60-80 pts depending on who he plays with and how many games he plays. There are also various reasons why his stats vary from year to year too.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Full 8 year NMC for EK is scary.

Assuming he's healthy - and I assume a great franchise like SJ did their due dilligence - I think it's a risk worth taking even if the last couple years might not look good. What he brings to the table for the majority of the contract is ridiculous. He's a perfect 10 (as in the soccer position) from the backend. The guy sees the holes in the offensive zone like no other and places the puck perfectly for his teammates.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Cause I said in the last two years?
I was always talking about 5 years in the first place, I don't know what this has to do with 2 years... Don't ignore what he did with the Avs because it's very telling, it's why his first year with the Sens showed a consistent pattern with his previous years. You can't just use a one year sample to call him a 60-80 point player(whatever the hell that means). It's absurd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tavares is a terrible example & not at all relevant.
He signed 7yrs at 11M.
He only left the extra year NYI could offer, which considering he's 34 at the end of this one, is actually a solid bet as far as earning considerably more in that 8th year if he's still healthy.

Duchene has already made clear he isn't going back to CBJ (so also isn't concerned about the extra year) and will likely get several 9-10.5M offers.
If you think he & his agent will leave that 7-10M$ on the table to play in Montreal, I appreciate your optimism...

But again, even at equal amounts for the next 3 yrs, I take Pavelski easily over Duchene.

Plus, adding a proven, versatile producer and talent like Pavelski, to a group with Price & Weber, is exactly the kind of move/addition we should be making IF we are using cap space to add elite talent.

If not, focus should be on offer sheets or leveraging cap to target deadline trade fodder & Armia type cap leveraging moves to further improve our young asset base.

Duchene is a bad target unless he takes a massive discount.

Tavares is relevant cause the Sharks were rumored at offering him $13M for 7 years. I wasn't talking about the Islanders.

https://www.tsn.ca/tavares-took-less-money-to-come-home-1.1128490

Please assume what I am saying incorrectly and quote me later... When he signs somewhere else of if we sign him for a large AAV, You will say I thought Duchene was signing with us for a team friendly deal for sure and I was wrong. No, this is not what I am saying. I'm saying he might consider leaving $7M on the table to join the team he cheered for as a kid. Look up the word "might" or "maybe". If he is not willing to, I'm personally not going to offer him $9M+

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was always talking about 5 years in the first place, I don't know what this has to do with 2 years... Don't ignore what he did with the Avs because it's very telling, it's why his first year with the Sens showed a consistent pattern with his previous years. You can't just use a one year sample to call him a 60-80 point player(whatever the hell that means). It's absurd.

Yes, you were talking about 5 years and I said his stats have fluctuated over that span. Then I said his stats in the last two years are 60-80 range.

I think his ability to produce in the 60-80 range depends on a lot of factors.

All I am saying is because his stats has fluctuated so much in the 5 year span, coming up with a 10 pt range is not accurate. He's been all over the map and his last two years are will north of the numbers you posted for 5 years.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes, you were talking about 5 years and I said his stats have fluctuated over that span. Then I said his stats in the last two years are 60-80 range.

I think his ability to produce in the 60-80 range depends on a lot of factors.
You do know that you are using that ridiculous 60-80 range solely based off of one year right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You do know that you are using that ridiculous 60-80 range solely based off of one year right?

I'm not using it to predict the future. I'm just telling you his 2 last seasons of stats are much different than the 5 years. My point is going over your head cause you think I'm trying to tell you what I think he will produce in the future.

If you really want to know, I will say 60 +/- pts season to season. He's been all over the map so it's hard to nail it down IMO

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Are you aware of their cap issues if they re-sign Pavelski?
Yes. 12 million or so with like half the forward group left to sign.

My guess is Vlasic might be available. They won’t let the captain leave. See the reaction from his return in the playoffs, he’s beloved there.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not using it to predict the future. I'm just telling you his 2 last seasons of stats are much different than the 5 years.
You would also be incorrect. His 59 point season with the Sens is pretty much what he did with the Avs. You are only using it because of one year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You would also be incorrect. His 59 point season with the Sens is pretty much what he did with the Avs. You are only using it because of one year.

Sure, twist any angle you wish. Those are his 82 game averages over the last two seasons... Avs, Sens, Blue Jackets. It's not one year cause if it was true, I would of not said 60-80, I would of said 80

Also, in the last two seasons, he only played 14 games with the Avs. Most of his with the Avs? I don't think so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad