Rumor: Post-season Rumour Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Really? Who takes defensive responsibilities? Right now only Danault and Thompson are centres that kill penalties. As much as I want Phil to be more efficient offensively, he’s very very useful. I think you hold Danault for a year or two until Poehling shows he’s NHL ready. Drouin or Byron should be moved instead.

Maybe a year....but he got 2 years left at a friendly contract, not going to pay him 6 millions in 2 years that's for sure, so it might be time to pull the plug if you get a Duchene cause he won'T produce as much from the 3rd line.

Poehling has 3 goals in 1 game.....Danault has 3 in his last 29 games this season.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
For certian guys, i would go all in 9-10-12 -14 million a year like Ovy Sid Stamkos McD etc etc...but the sticker price(10m a yr) looks way too high on MD....i take a hard pass cause i don't consider him elite
Well if we continue with this attitude we are going to be waiting for another 25 years and most of us will be dead.It's time to shit or get off the pot .If Bergevin can't do it replace him

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cap space is an expiring asset, there's no debating that fact.

Not making every effort to use or leverage it to improve the short or long term roster is a bad decision any year, by any GM.

It's only MB's ongoing ineptness and complete lack of planning that creates the "forcing it" perception.

Him not using it for a third straight year is absolutely fireable incompetence.

Cap space is a expiring asset? Do you think the cap is going to go down or something? Sorry, I don't support being desperate to use our cap space cause we have to. We will explore our options and if it makes sense for the Habs, we should do it. But if things don't develop on the options we explore, stay put. We have a team on the rise and there will be other options we can explore as time moves forward and yes, I will debate that the cap space will not expire

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Did you hit yourself in the head???

You were off in your your EK estimate and I gave a ballpark of $22M for all 3 wich I'm still in. So as I'm seeing, you're the only one off right now :nod:
I'd rather be off by a million than 2 millions like you were... 22M-11.5M = 10.5M; good luck getting Dzingel and Duchene signed for that figure. Wouldn't be surprised if Duchene alone gets that now given Karlsson's deal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Maybe a year....but he got 2 years left at a friendly contract, not going to pay him 6 millions in 2 years that's for sure, so it might be time to pull the plug if you get a Duchene cause he won'T produce as much from the 3rd line.

Poehling has 3 goals in 1 game.....Danault has 3 in his last 29 games this season.

No I’d certainly get rid of him before extending him. So I guess a year. I think you go for it this year with him and Duchene.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I will put this in the rumour thread since it's DLC the source. But MB was spotted in Pittsburgh over the weekend.

One poster on Twitter added this as a theory:

He says that an agent of the firm CAA is based in Pittsburgh and Mike Reilly is represented by CAA.

To be taken with a huge grain of salt. Which is why I chose to post it in this thread.

He was likely playing Oakmont with his old pal Mario.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Well if we continue with this attitude we are going to be waiting for another 25 years and most of us will be dead.It's time to **** or get off the pot .If Bergevin can't do it replace him

the St Louis Blues won a Cup with a goalie making $650,000

In MONTREAL the focus for a long time has been to have the best goalie ..like when ROY LEFT they tried to crown Theodore (the next Roy)and paid him like what 5.5 -6.5 million a yr back then ...then Price 10.5 million cap hit, last year $20 million a year Canadian was his actual salary .....Montreal's thinking has been to have a superstar goalie to save the team....other teams have been winning CUPS not using that strategy...

Last edited:

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I'd rather be off by a million than 2 millions like you were... 22M-11.5M = 10.5M; good luck getting Dzingel and Duchene signed for that figure. Wouldn't be surprised if Duchene alone gets that now given Karlsson's deal.
Wait yeah... There's absolutely no way Duchene and Dzingel sign for 10.5. It's more likely to be close to 15

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well if we continue with this attitude we are going to be waiting for another 25 years and most of us will be dead.It's time to **** or get off the pot .If Bergevin can't do it replace him

Bet you Yzerman couldn't do the things you wish for if he was our GM. Would you want him fired if he was our GM and did nothing this off season cause the options didn't fit our team needs? What the difference? 7 years on the job vs 1 or 2? I don't care what our GM's name is, I care about the Habs future and I support calculated patience and to not be desperate to spend our cap space cause we have it.

Bergevin has 2 years in term left. This is his window to keep our team direction moving up! If he don't, he won't be back and you will be happy.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Well if you ever learned how to read, you'd have seen the subtlety of me taking about pitching all three of them together as a package and getting them to take slight discounts, which I clearly mentioned. The fact EK is getting within the range I said only cement the values I assigned them.

And that’s well within the range of $22M especially if you get them to all buy in.

If it’s down to a $1M bucks, you can easily accommodate with a roster move or trade. It’s not like that number is so outside the realm of reality that it’s insane to think of especially for players who are rumoured to want to play for Montreal. Those numbers are well within the parameters of the numbers being tossed around out there.

You're post and comeback post are misinformed and plain dumb. Sorry...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Cap space is a expiring asset? Do you think the cap is going to go down or something? Sorry, I don't support being desperate to use our cap space cause we have to. We will explore our options and if it makes sense for the Habs, we should do it. But if things don't develop on the options we explore, stay put. We have a team on the rise and there will be other options we can explore as time moves forward and yes, I will debate that the cap space will not expire

On the rise of what?

I agree, we have a couple of promising prospect. Nice. Every team does.
Look at Carolina, made the PO, blue chip risers like Teuvo, Aho, Scvechnikov.
Necas still waiting on top of that in the AHL.
A young and complete D-squad with juicy prospect waiting on top of that like Bean, Fleury.
They have tons of cap space AND even more picks than us in the next 2 drafts.

That's a team on the rise.

Habs don't even one legit top 4 D on the left side....and no one before a good 3-4 years, and somehow we're on the rise?

It look better that's for sure, but if Bergevin stay the course....we are not really on the rise.

Reactions: Miller Time

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Well if you ever learned how to read, you'd have seen the subtlety of me taking about pitching all three of them together as a package and getting them to take slight discounts, which I clearly mentioned. The fact EK is getting within the range I said only cement the values I assigned them.

You're post and comeback post are misinformed and plain dumb. Sorry...
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that I was supposed to ignore reality and enter this alternate world of yours where players sign for less money, get f***ed by taxes and do it all because they think the Habs can win the cup. Gotcha, my bad. Fact is, your scenario had 0.0000001% chance of happening and I'll have a pleasure of adding up all three of their contracts to show you how delusional your post was.

PS: For someone who recommends others to buy a dictionary, you don't seem to know the difference between your and you're ;) FACT.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Pavelski now has a good shot at hitting UFA market...

Likely to get 8M+ per year on a 3-4yr deal.

Sharks can't offer that with all of their RFA's to sign and roster spots to fill, and their lack of top picks the next few drafts makes it unlikely they'll have appetite to move the RFAs or trade picks/prospects to facilitate cap dumps.

I'd definitely consider Pavelski on 3yrs @8-9M/per, and would much prefer that over Duchene @7yrs for that or more...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Are you being obtuse?

Tell me, how do we use the unused cap space from the past two seasons now?

No one said anything about desperation. You can take your bs strawman arguments elsewhere... That kind of useless posting is a waste of space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On the rise of what?

A young and complete D-squad with juicy prospect waiting on top of that like Bean, Fleury.

Habs don't even one legit top 4 D on the left side....and no one before a good 3-4 years, and somehow we're on the rise?

It look better that's for sure, but if Bergevin stay the course....we are not really on the rise.

We have one of the best young talents up the middle, the youngest forward group in the league, one of the better 5/5 scoring teams, and our D with Price once it was stabilized was top 11 and 4 goals away from top 5.

We have work to do to get to be a top 5 cup contender but I see us doing all our work in one off season or two. Our cap space should only be spent on top of the line-up talent. That's how I see it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are you being obtuse?

Tell me, how do we use the unused cap space from the past two seasons now?

You can take your bs strawman arguments elsewhere... That kind of useless posting is a waste of space.

Words like Obtuse and Strawman being used. If you can't engage or understand what I am saying, lets not waste our time and throw insults out there. Can't be any more clearer. I choose patience and to NOT spend our cap space cause we feel we have to. It's not a rocket science concept or strategy and I'm sure you understand.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In my book it's 28 millions thrown the garbage (if he don't use the cap space left)....and we're little bit competitive because of Price (as usual).
Where are you getting this 28M figure from?

But let's applaud the GM for not giving away 1 or 2 millions and overpay for a quality player...THAT would be bad.
I never said we should applaud the GM for anything

It's a good thing....cause it's shows us that this team could be better.....with a better GM
Regardless of the identity of the GM, it shows me that this team has a lot of potential to improve.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pavelski now has a good shot at hitting UFA market...

Likely to get 8M+ per year on a 3-4yr deal.

Sharks can't offer that with all of their RFA's to sign and roster spots to fill, and their lack of top picks the next few drafts makes it unlikely they'll have appetite to move the RFAs or trade picks/prospects to facilitate cap dumps.

I'd definitely consider Pavelski on 3yrs @8-9M/per, and would much prefer that over Duchene @7yrs for that or more...

Pavelski from age 35-37 at $8M - $9M range is exactly the type of deal I would avoid. I think you are too desperate to spend our cap space.

You are all over me with my strategy of wanting to be patient and then you come up with this idea where we consume our cap space on a 35+ contract? Come on man

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
On the rise of what?

It's the sad delusion created by 7years of complete management ineptness.

Some posters don't have the ability to see or consider context.

Habs are in a decent spot, one that a saavy GM with a plan could certainly build from...

Every team in the league can make a case for being "on the rise", and there is no legitimate case to be made that we are any further ahead than most of them....

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that I was supposed to ignore reality and enter this alternate world of yours where players sign for less money, get ****ed by taxes and do it all because they think the Habs can win the cup. Gotcha, my bad. Fact is, your scenario had 0.0000001% chance of happening and I'll have a pleasure of adding up all three of their contracts to show you how delusional your post was.

PS: For someone who recommends others to buy a dictionary, you don't seem to know the difference between your and you're ;) FACT.

Is there something wrong with you??? Do you know what the difference between posting an imaginary proposal for fun on a fan forum and setting out a factual scenario by which we will acquire 3 of the top UFA's available is???? Apparently not because you're obsessed with this fantasy scenario which makes you look like a psycho or an idiot. You need to take a breath and get a grip because your responses are not normal...

Imagine an off season where we trade Byron + for Ghost. Then we trade drouin for a high end prospect or a 1st. And finally we sign Duchene, Dzingel and with that hype, get Karlsson too. Now we’re left with:

Domi Duchene Shaw
Tatar KK Gally
Dzingel Danault Weal
Lehkonen Poehling/Thomson Armia

Kulak Karlsson
Ghost Weber
Mete Petry
Folin Juulsen

Price

That’s a crazy good lineup I’d put up against just about anyone in the league and we have the space to do it. We’d also have a deep prospect pool that we could slowly integrate into the NHL when they’re ready and phase out older players as they come due or trade to fill other holes.

Time for you to pull out a dictionary and take a breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad