Rumor: Post-season Rumour Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Sure, twist any angle you wish. Those are his 82 game averages over the last two seasons... Avs, Sens, Blue Jackets. It's not one year cause if it was true, I would of not said 60-80, I would of said 80
He has scored around 60 points for the better part of his career, last year seems like an anomaly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has scored around 60 points for the better part of his career, last year seems like an anomaly.

Could be true but last season was close to pt/game stats. I didn't use the last season though. I used the last two seasons and said 60-80 range. I think calling him 50-60 pts moving forward is a bit on the pessimistic side. What holds more value? His last two years or 5? I think I'd look at both. This was my point from the get go

Honestly, what he produces moving forward has a lot to do with who he plays with

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Pavelski isn’t leaving the Sharks.
Somebody will be leaving though. After signing EK they have about 12.5M in cap space assuming an $83M cap and it might be less. They need to sign 7 guys with that to get to a 23 man roster incuding

Meier a RFA who scored 30 last year
Leblanc an RFA who had 56 pts last year
and Pavalski

Assume you let guys like Thornton/Donskoi and Nyquist walk and focus on the 3 above.

Assume the that you fill 4 spots with guys from minors on ELC that will cost about $3.5M total leaving 9 million for the other 3. The numbers Meier and Leb;anc put up suggest that it will take close to 8 M to sign both. You can bridge them I guess but you have to protect against an offer sheet.

If I am SJ,and someone has to walk maybe it is the 34 year old. As good as Pavalski is I would not want the signing of a 34 year old to cost me meier.
If I am marc b and you can address LD by trade, then over pay Pavalski for 2-3 years.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I really dont feel comfortable giving Duchene $10 million n. What other team would give him that kind of money?

Neither do I. and the Habs biggest need is not at center. I'd take care of the LDman situation and perhaps RW, where they have little depth. I think the Bruins have bigger personnel problems==they're aging. Where are they going to find a replacement for Z? How long can Bergeron play at an all-star level? I don't think there''ll be a Cup parade in Boston in the near future.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Somebody will be leaving though. After signing EK they have about 12.5M in cap space assuming an $83M cap and it might be less. They need to sign 7 guys with that to get to a 23 man roster incuding

and Pavalski

Assume you let guys like Thornton/Donskoi and Nyquist walk and focus on the 3 above.

Assume the that you fill 4 spots with guys from minors on ELC that will cost about $3.5M total leaving 9 million for the other 3. The numbers Meier and Leb;anc put up suggest that it will take close to 8 M to sign both. You can bridge them I guess but you have to protect against an offer sheet.

If I am SJ,and someone has to walk maybe it is the 34 year old. As good as Pavalski is I would not want the signing of a 34 year old to cost me meier.
If I am marc b and you can address LD by trade, then over pay Pavalski for 2-3 years.

8 million between Meier and Lebanc is soft TBH. Meier should be worth at least what Nylander got.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So much for the bs about his wife wanting to be near family,hook,line and sinker baby!

Maybe the rumor was true and EK told his wife we are not moving back to Ottawa and in 12 months time, they get divorced? :sarcasm:. For those who think I am serious, think twice before you jump on the belittle bandwagon

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Tavares is relevant cause the Sharks were rumored at offering him $13M for 7 years. I wasn't talking about the Islanders.

https://www.tsn.ca/tavares-took-less-money-to-come-home-1.1128490

Please assume what I am saying incorrectly and quote me later... When he signs somewhere else of if we sign him for a large AAV, You will say I thought Duchene was signing with us for a team friendly deal for sure and I was wrong. No, this is not what I am saying. I'm saying he might consider leaving $7M on the table to join the team he cheered for as a kid. Look up the word "might" or "maybe". If he is not willing to, I'm personally not going to offer him $9M+

Noted. Though even the decision to not take the SJ offer isn't that relevant considering that Tavares, and his agent, were fully aware that his marketing and sponsorship value is exponentially greater in Toronto than San Jose... Potentially considerably more than 2M$/year.
The "hometown discount" narrative is media play, the dollars & cents reality tells a different story.

Duchene could make up some in the Montreal sponsorship market, but nearly as much as a JT in Toronto.

Ultimately, same point remains... Pavelski is a better bet for us for the next 3 years at any realistic comparable contracts the two players will be signing. Full stop.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
8 million between Meier and Lebanc is soft TBH. Meier should be worth at least what Nylander got.

Agreed especially if you are signing him to term. May get away with 8M total if you are signing them to 2 year deals. 6 years or so will cost way more. They may have to move Vlasic but $7M until he is 39 is a bit too pricy IMO

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Noted. Though even the decision to not take the SJ offer isn't that relevant considering that Tavares, and his agent, were fully aware that his marketing and sponsorship value is exponentially greater in Toronto than San Jose... Potentially considerably more than 2M$/year.
The "hometown discount" narrative is media play, the dollars & cents reality tells a different story.

Duchene could make up some in the Montreal sponsorship market, but nearly as much as a JT in Toronto.

Ultimately, same point remains... Pavelski is a better bet for us for the next 3 years at any realistic comparable contracts the two players will be signing. Full stop.

It's rare for players to leave money on the table but it happens. The other issue with Duchene is if Nashville is in on him. If this is the case and Duchene is after the most money he can get. We should drop the Duchene plans now.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Forget Pavelski.. they are absolutely no way he’s living San Jose for MTL

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

and Pavalski

I’m just so used to seeing SJ being able to cram anyone and everyone under the cap while never really letting someone leave.

Besides Marleau... and I think Pavelski just means too much. I’m sticking to my idea that Vlasic is the one to leave.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's rare for players to leave money on the table but it happens. The other issue with Duchene is if Nashville is in on him. If this is the case and Duchene is after the most money he can get. We should drop the Duchene plans now.

Happens for sure, in fact I'd bet it happens more than most fans realize...

Thing is, the amount being left behind & the career stage.

Mid-prime, first time UFA's coming off of career years leaving 1million + per season on the table? That I suspect is virtually unheard of unless there are other major implications (like sponsorship, family issues, or, what we may see more of in coming years thanks to the Oilers, a player who cashed in as an RFA and is desperate to play for a winner at all cost

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

It's not an anomaly if the scoring around the league went up. Considering today's NHL is based on speed, I wouldn't say no to Duchene at 8M for 5yrs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really

Thinking the same. Not sure a GM steps forward to make that kind of desperate deal for him buy giving him a NMC overlapping the expansion draft. However, there may be a team out there that might have two guys on D and don't really have a 3rd guy they would protect. Habs were in this position in the last draft. It was between Beaulieu, Benn, and Emelin and we could of spared all 3 easily

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I’m just so used to seeing SJ being able to cram anyone and everyone under the cap while never really letting someone leave.

Besides Marleau... and I think Pavelski just means too much. I’m sticking to my idea that Vlasic is the one to leave.

I think they will try to move him but $7M per until he is 39 with a NMC is worse than Webers contract by a fair margin. Might be hard to move. Also they have to do it between now and July 1. As of July 1 Pavalski can sign anywhere and Meier/leblanc can sign an offersheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad