Post-Game Talk: Post Pre-Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
There's no way Riikola starts in the AHL after that kind of performance, especially if Dumoulin is injured.

I agree. Riikola has just been too good.

Also I think JR and Sullivan have been pretty good with playing the best players without falling for the old OMG we have play this guy because his contract pays him more trap!!! JR in general has also been pretty good about correcting/dealing with mistakes he's made without becoming too attached to players.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is it just me or does Rust look better than he ever has? Kid looks electrifying.

He gets better every year. Not dramatically but there is always improvement. Seems like he really works on an aspect every off season and it’s slowly all coming together.

Reactions: Goku and EightyOne

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rust still plays with blinders on to a certain degree, but there's so much else to love about his game.

Hell, him having tunnel vision makes it a pretty good bet he's gonna take it to the rack off the rush, so it might even be a feature rather than a bug. ;)

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He gets better every year. Not dramatically but there is always improvement. Seems like he really works on an aspect every off season and it’s slowly all coming together.
\

There is like this feeling, that even though he has been a 'part' of the team for a few years, like that he is really gaining the confidence in his actions and abilities.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Rust creates most of his offense on his off-wing and seems to gravitate to that side so he can protect the puck.

I’ve read where people think he plays more comfortably at rw, but I’ve continually noticed Rust prefers that left side when he gets the puck.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I always love the Maatta and Letang pairing not being good when they played almost exclusively with each other in 15-16 when Letang was 4th in Norris votes.

You aren't wrong. But those years are like ages ago vs how they look on the ice now...maybe they can get the band back together and sum of the parts be great with each other again.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
And we were scared Riikola wouldn't get an opportunity.

That was more of priming for a tantrum if he didn’t start the season on nhl ice. They were weirdly healthy on D last season with Letang and Maatta playing 79 and 82 games respectively. They still saw Schultz (already has a nagging wrist injury) miss 19 games, Hunwick miss however much with his concussion and Cole miss time with a broken jaw. Of course there would be an opportunity. They’re not a team you ever bet on being healthy. If Sprong is healthy, he’ll inevitably benefit from Rust consistently missing games or Hornqvist being insane.

They concussed players in practice for 3 consecutive seasons and had 3 broken jaws in 2 seasons. 2 players got taken out in the same practice last season ffs. That’s not even their greatest hits.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sid talked about the importance of bounces on a run to the Cup in the first podcast w/ Steigy. I think it's a solid listen. Sid is great to listen to and even though it's nothing special, he gives good insight.

This team, last year, was just a few bounces short of going for 3. That is wild. If Brass/Rust/Mur/Letang/Kessel/ OR Geno were on their game, maybe we get by Washignton. If all of them are on their game, we win the Cup and it's not even close, IMO. It's insane to me because we just went back to back.

And here we are in the same spot. If we can just get a few bounces, stay healthy, and things come together..... wooooooo. And hey if it doesn't, oh well. We still have 3 in this era.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Phil with Geno is the wrong play. It's going to happen, but it's a bad fit for two reasons. One, Geno plays away from his strengths and to his weaknesses. Two, it's not a combination designed to promote Geno's long term health. I get why Sully did it . . . gotta keep Phil happy and stuff. But. it's the wrong play.

Haven’t seen a second of preseason, so haven’t commented on anything.... but felt the compulsion to like and agree with this one, strongly.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I’d rather Riikola play with Letang.

Perhaps. People are scared Riikola cant cover for Tanger. But, in a way, you figure Riikola is scared enough about having a job, he might try really really really hard to cover gaps. Eh?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Perhaps. People are scared Riikola cant cover for Tanger. But, in a way, you figure Riikola is scared enough about having a job, he might try really really really hard to cover gaps. Eh?

It’s more like Letang puts his partner through the ringer while being especially bad since his neck surgery and I’d rather not have that happen to the guy with 0 nhl games and 8 (?)
preseason games if Letang is still extra crazy.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
ZAR barely looks like an AHL 3rd liner, but let's give him time to figure his game out in the AHL again. Time will tell with these guys. **** happens.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect more from Aston-Reese any time soon. He's trying to make the jump at NHL power forward after spending five months eating his dinner with a straw. Wherever the talent he has would have otherwise taken him, an NHL gig in 18/19 is just not going to happen.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think it's reasonable to expect more from Aston-Reese any time soon. He's trying to make the jump at NHL power forward after spending five months eating his dinner with a straw. Wherever the talent he has would have otherwise taken him, an NHL gig in 18/19 is just not going to happen.

We've discussed this quite a bit. We've all agreed that is respectable and understandable. Even if it's a full year getting back together. I'm not saying cut him or whatever. I think we agree completely.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
We've discussed this quite a bit. We've all agreed that is respectable and understandable. Even if it's a full year getting back together. I'm not saying cut him or whatever. I think we agree completely.

Ya. I'm just saying don't be surprised if "some time in the AHL to figure out his game" is the whole year, so we're on the same page.

Reactions: Peat and ColePens

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He is that dumb... but he is beautiful.

And smart enough to appreciate staring at a mirror.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect more from Aston-Reese any time soon. He's trying to make the jump at NHL power forward after spending five months eating his dinner with a straw. That's just not going to happen, for him or for anyone.

That is another part of it. His offseason was screwed with and who knows what it did to him mentally. He should definitely be in the AHL but it seems like more of him being a mystery at the nhl level. It’ll be interesting to see if he gets jumped in the depth chart by guys like Johnson, Angelo or DiPauli.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Rust creates most of his offense on his off-wing and seems to gravitate to that side so he can protect the puck.

I’ve read where people think he plays more comfortably at rw, but I’ve continually noticed Rust prefers that left side when he gets the puck.

I think it depends.

For example, I think Rust is infinitely better on Geno's RW than on his LW (and he's infinitely better for Geno on the RW than on the LW, as the possession numbers of the last 3 years suggest). But, his role there is more of about the forecheck and possession than playing a primary role in driving offense though the neutral zone and on zone entries.

With Brass or Sheahan, where you're looking for Rust to do more individually to drive the offense in transition, then yes, he's probably as good on the LW as he is on the RW.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think he was just a cheapish knee-jerk signing to threaten our 3/4th liners with 'an NHL ready player'....but....our forwards are looking like they wont need much pressure to perform and kinda makes Grant pointless.

I think.

He's legitimate NHL depth. Even if unimpressive, he's still a 4C who can win draws and PK. He's certainly no Cullen or even Sheahan offensively, but he can be a slightly better version of Rowney if injuries hit and we need more center depth. Yes Blueger had a very good camp and showed he could probably handle that role if needed... but what if he couldn't? It's not like he's played a bunch of NHL games and you know exactly what he'll do if given the chance. And as meh as Grant may be, he'd still cost a 4th or more to get later on in the season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It’s more like Letang puts his partner through the ringer while being especially bad since his neck surgery and I’d rather not have that happen to the guy with 0 nhl games and 8 (?)
preseason games if Letang is still extra crazy.

The real question: Is even the fearsome menace of unfettered Letang enough to get Riikola shook?

I'm not sure. He's cooler than a White Walker with frostbite.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
When aren't we a buyer?

We also could be a seller . . . I suspect of Maatta.

I don't see Rutherford moving Maatta in season. In the summer, absolutely, but not during the season - he loves his depth and Maatta too much to make that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad