Post-Game Talk: Post-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Rangers - Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Missed the game and just watched the highlights. Man we had so many chances in that 1st period.

Now don't let off in Game 2 please.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I am still so amped about how they played today. I'm such a performance over score guy, and I loved how they played for like 55 minutes tonight. I don't know if you can ask for anything better than that. I thought AV coached brilliantly as well. Playing a fresh Hagelin in that last minute was such a game changer, he was a ****ing waterbug out there.

Yeah but if you read our rivals boards it was an even game and we needed a fortunate bounce to pull out a win.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Also I don't get the hate for Cally. He left us for more money so what, he didn't owe us anything. I seriously don't get it, he bled blue when he was here.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
And Cally is responsible for getting Girardi here. So, thank you, Cally!

Last edited:

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Well deserved game winning goal by Moore, he was hustling his ass off this game, A true Play off warrior. Hagelin is quietly having a real good PO.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't think our new 4th line has been good, that's a bit problematic. Ok maybe but not good.

They've been a little slow.. Sheppard slow on his skates... Glass slow on his reads.. but with that said Glass had one hell of a backcheck to prevent a GA... Sheppard needs to play more simple.. more north south.

There's not a lot of cohesion for that unit.. Miller is better out there with other line mates. If and when Zucc comes back, I think the units will solidify themselves again.

WonkaVader

Apr 16, 2015
NJ =/
I spent the whole Friday night in the E.R. and I watched the game from my hospital bed yesterday and I have to say that their performance and the win was the best form of medicine I have received so far. It was awesome sauce watching their speed game. Crazy that it was a one goal game again, but we got the well deserved win. Hockey will always be the best form of medicine and **** yeah let's do that again tomorrow!! :yo:

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Every rival board is "LULZ THEY NEEDED LUCK AND HARD WORK TO WIN, NO SKILL BRUH"

Because only on HF can you turn hard work into a negative.

What's funny about that, is that if the officials called obstruction penalties on teams other than the Rangers, we'd probably be running away with all of the series to date. Including this one!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot more room yesterday for the Rangers than in the previous series with Washington. The Rangers were able to cycle the puck a lot more and bring the play out from the corners to the crease area. That's how we got both goals. We weren't getting squashed by any Wilson's, Ovechkin's or Ward's on the forecheck and TB doesn't have an Orpik cruising around looking to blindside opponents. Tampa's got a few big guys like Sustr and Hedman but they're not really that physical a team. If anything the Rangers can match their speed and are more physical than they are.

I liked the way we played yesterday. Despite getting the winning goal very late--we dictated the pace and Tampa Bay did not generate a lot of great chances. The Rangers had good back pressure from the forwards and good gap from the d-men and we were able to cut off a lot of plays quickly and forced Tampa into a lot of turnovers. To me the final score really wasn't indicative of how much better we played than them. 4-1 would have been more like it.

That being said I expect Tampa is going to make some adjustments and are going to be better in the next one--how much is the question. However past the top two lines they don't look to be very deep at forward--though not having Brian Boyle certainly didn't help them.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
They did not fall for it.
I actually don't believe that NHL officials think Kreider is a goalie killer (just dumbass fans who are stupid about hockey) but I think they do know that Bishop is full of BS.

Cool. Thank you. And I really dont blame players for embellishing. Refs miss so much, i get where theyre coming from. But if a guy totally fakes it, there should be a penalty.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
some possession stats from tsn article.

Derick Brassard - The Rangers centre assisted on Dominic Moore's game-winning goal, but was dominant all game, registering a team-leading nine shot attempts (6 SOG) and five hits, along with team-best possession stats (24 shot attempts for, 8 against, 75.0%).

ZEROES

Brenden Morrow, Vladislav Namestnikov - Tampa Bay's fourth-liners didn't play much, but were crushed territorially (2 shot attempts for, 10 against, 16.7%) despite starting all of their shifts in the offensive zone.

Braydon Coburn, Jason Garrison - The Lightning defence duo managed 30% possession, but were dominated (2 shot attempts for, 11 against, 15.4%) in their primary match-up, against the Rangers line of Brassard, Rick Nash and Kevin Hayes.

i sure hope cooper doesnt **** around with his 4th line. to get out shot attempted while starting primarily in the offensive zone is unbelievably bad.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's kind of the problem with having one good D pairing to match up against top lines these days. Good teams have multiple good lines and you have to have some D depth to handle secondary scoring. Coburn should be a good 2nd pairing guy though but they were also going against the most skilled line the Rangers have

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
A lot more room yesterday for the Rangers than in the previous series with Washington. The Rangers were able to cycle the puck a lot more and bring the play out from the corners to the crease area. That's how we got both goals. We weren't getting squashed by any Wilson's, Ovechkin's or Ward's on the forecheck and TB doesn't have an Orpik cruising around looking to blindside opponents. Tampa's got a few big guys like Sustr and Hedman but they're not really that physical a team. If anything the Rangers can match their speed and are more physical than they are.

I liked the way we played yesterday. Despite getting the winning goal very late--we dictated the pace and Tampa Bay did not generate a lot of great chances. The Rangers had good back pressure from the forwards and good gap from the d-men and we were able to cut off a lot of plays quickly and forced Tampa into a lot of turnovers. To me the final score really wasn't indicative of how much better we played than them. 4-1 would have been more like it.

That being said I expect Tampa is going to make some adjustments and are going to be better in the next one--how much is the question. However past the top two lines they don't look to be very deep at forward--though not having Brian Boyle certainly didn't help them.

We are on same wave length for sure. Tampa's style of play plays to our strengths...skating, speed, puck possession and countering. Thing is, we also play into their strengths which is also a speed and puck possession game as well. Washington I am 1000% convinced was always going to be our worst opponent in order to get to the Cup finals. It wasn't even close when those polls about who do you want to face Isles or Caps were up. They are so big and physical with a defense just about as good as ours that they for most part took away our speed game for most of series.

We had to fight for every single inch of ice. That is why I was hoping and praying the Islanders advanced cause I was 100% positive that though there would be some emotion crap involved with the "NY/NY" thing, they matched up MUCH MUCH better than the Caps for us. The Isles would have skated with us and let us fly up and down the wings. And their defense was so soft and much worse than the Caps was. Holtby also is significantly better than Halak also. I truly believe we would have taken care of the Islanders in 5 maybe 6 games.

Anyways, TBay will be a challenge for us no doubt however now that we have a game under our belts to have gotten acclimated to them, I would not be surprised if this was Bishops best game of the series. If that is the case, we really could win this baby in 5 at worst 6. They won't be "easy" games but I can really see us scoring some goals this series if yesterday was a good indicator of what we'll be seeing and I think it was. We'll see. All I know is it was alot less stressful watching yesterdays' game than any of those Caps or even Pens games. We actually looked like the regular season Rangers yesterday for the first time all playoffs other than 20 minutes of game 6 of the Caps series. Thank you Tampa please don't change a thing....:yo:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Tampa wasn't very good in their own end yesterday and that was the story of the game. The Rangers dominated them below the hash marks.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
I spent the whole Friday night in the E.R. and I watched the game from my hospital bed yesterday and I have to say that their performance and the win was the best form of medicine I have received so far. It was awesome sauce watching their speed game. Crazy that it was a one goal game again, but we got the well deserved win. Hockey will always be the best form of medicine and **** yeah let's do that again tomorrow!! :yo:
Hope your feeling better! Now you can say the rangers won for you:laugh:

Last edited:

Wolfy*

Tampa wasn't very good in their own end yesterday and that was the story of the game. The Rangers dominated them below the hash marks.

And I think that's what will kill them, they're simply not as good as the Caps.

I liked the Nash-Brass-Hayes line, lots of size up there. Don't change it.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Nice win.

As it turned out the bounce off Moore was the margin of victory but... the rangers had many more chances than Tampa. I thought the right team won.

After one game, not exactly a proper sample, the Rangers look to be the better 5 on 5 team but Tampa will be a threat if the Rangers continue taking penalties. Tampa's special teams will vastly outperform NY's. One PP goal game (maybe 2) could cause problems down the line for NY since scoring is so low.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

We are on same wave length for sure. Tampa's style of play plays to our strengths...skating, speed, puck possession and countering. Thing is, we also play into their strengths which is also a speed and puck possession game as well. Washington I am 1000% convinced was always going to be our worst opponent in order to get to the Cup finals. It wasn't even close when those polls about who do you want to face Isles or Caps were up. They are so big and physical with a defense just about as good as ours that they for most part took away our speed game for most of series.

We had to fight for every single inch of ice. That is why I was hoping and praying the Islanders advanced cause I was 100% positive that though there would be some emotion crap involved with the "NY/NY" thing, they matched up MUCH MUCH better than the Caps for us. The Isles would have skated with us and let us fly up and down the wings. And their defense was so soft and much worse than the Caps was. Holtby also is significantly better than Halak also. I truly believe we would have taken care of the Islanders in 5 maybe 6 games.

Anyways, TBay will be a challenge for us no doubt however now that we have a game under our belts to have gotten acclimated to them, I would not be surprised if this was Bishops best game of the series. If that is the case, we really could win this baby in 5 at worst 6. They won't be "easy" games but I can really see us scoring some goals this series if yesterday was a good indicator of what we'll be seeing and I think it was. We'll see. All I know is it was alot less stressful watching yesterdays' game than any of those Caps or even Pens games. We actually looked like the regular season Rangers yesterday for the first time all playoffs other than 20 minutes of game 6 of the Caps series. Thank you Tampa please don't change a thing....:yo:

Good analysis, guys. 100% agreed.

Man, that was a fun game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad