Post-Game Talk: Post Game Colorado Avalanche Vs Minnesota Wild Jan. 19/2013 7:00PM MST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'll be interested in comparing notes on this when the season ends. 5 game losing streak is not the same as a 3 game losing streak like you're eluding to...

3 is different than 5 by 2 games. 2 games is ~4% of the season, not a high amount. A simple winning streak will cover that. Plenty of good teams lost last night and it isn't the end of their season.

I personally think we start 0-3 and by game 10 we are 4-5-1.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
I wanted Olver in the 3rd line before the game. I just think Olvy is being wasted playing with morons.

Again, it's not so much demoting Mitchell as it is giving Olver a chance.

48 games is a lot. Losing streaks will happen either way, panicking this early could cost you a playoff spot.

Changing something like who EJ is paired with is not panicking. Panic comes when you fire the coach, revamp the team, etc.
Changing parts of the line up is inevitable when you have a 5 game training camp with new additions on your team. Doing so is far from panicking.

3 is different than 5 by 2 games. 2 games is ~4% of the season, not a high amount. A simple winning streak will cover that. Plenty of good teams lost last night and it isn't the end of their season.

And where are we if we go 0-5?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It doesn't work like that. It's not as simple as them just needing a winning streak to match their losing streak. They need winning streaks as it is to get in the playoffs. You can't coast into the playoffs with a .500 record, and the other playoff teams are going on winning streaks themselves.

Going on a 5 game losing streak in a 48 game season means they're going to have to go on an additional 5 game winning streak than they would have normally. That's 10 points you left on the table. It's just a tall task when there are so many teams so close to each other battling for the 7th and 8th seeds like last year. I can't imagine what it's going to be like this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Changing something like who EJ is paired with is not panicking. Panic comes when you fire the coach, revamp the team, etc.
Changing parts of the line up is inevitable when you have a 5 game training camp with new additions on your team. Doing so is far from panicking.

And where are we if we go 0-5?

0-5. No reason to panic. The Avs have been a streaky team lately. Winning the next 5 is as likely as losing the first 5.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It doesn't work like that. It's not as simple as them just needing a winning streak to match their losing streak. They need winning streaks as it is to get in the playoffs. You can't coast into the playoffs with a .500 record, and the other playoff teams are going on winning streaks themselves.

Going on a 5 game losing streak in a 48 game season means they're going to have to go on an additional 5 game winning streak than they would have normally. It's just a tall task when there are so many teams so close to each other battling for the 7th and 8th seeds like last year. I can't imagine what it's going to be like this year.

It isn't as simple as saying one losing streak will doom their playoff chances. It will probably take 2 or 3 4+ game losing streaks to miss the playoffs.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
It isn't as simple as saying one losing streak will doom their playoff chances. It will probably take 2 or 3 4+ game losing streaks to miss the playoffs.

Anyways, moving on.

I hope to see EJ-Barrie at some point. Up front, I would leave the Duchene line intact and sub John Mitchell to the fourth line and substitute ROR in his place..........:sarcasm:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just rewatched the game. The Avs looked like scared babies as soon as the second period started. Poor Varly depending on his defense to clear the junk in front of the net. Sacco's lack of in game decision making still evident this guy needs to be on a short leash. Give him 15 games I say and see how he does.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

You think it will take three 4+ game losing streaks to miss the playoffs? If they do that, they'll be in last place.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Hunwick should be playing. We need more mobility and puck moving back there.

He played good for us last year. It seems like his first season with us is still tainting a lot of your impressions of him.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Can our top 6 show up on tuesday? (which for god sakes feels like a month from now)

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I know its only 1 game played, but Avs compared to other teams which will battle for playoffs in west just don't seem to have what needed to make the playoffs.

Avs goaltending is fine. Their offense is average, D is awful, coaching is awful, which makes specialty teams awful.

PP doesn't have a real QB which of course is one of the reasons the PP will struggle.

PK without O'Reilly and Mcclemment will probably get worse.

I really don't see how this team makes it. Specially playing short season all games against western conference.

Last edited:

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I didn't see the game but reading all the comments here I have to say: wow!
Its the teams first game back after 7 months were only a handful of players have played. Even if players were conditioning themselves its nothing like the real thing.

Its like me studying for a exam. Sure I can study for 7 months but when the exam itself comes, its a completely different beast! Same idea here.

My point? Its the first game, there are going to be a lot of mistakes and hick ups especially for a young team.

- I want to see what Barrie does for more than 1 game before thinking about trading/demoting him
- I want to see how Lando - Duch - PAP do before mixing lines up. It took McGinn a good 7 games or so before he got going with Stastny last season
- Etc.

I am not surprised to hear about the defense however. We have a glut of 5 - 6 guys. Only EJ is top pairing and Hedja top 4. Please no argument about Wilson being top 4 or top 6. His play is bipolar. No consistency. Even when he has flashes of being a top 4 he is too inconsistent to be that.

The defense needs a huge overall.

But Dater is right from what I've read and seen from highlights. Same bull **** as last year.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I didn't see the game but reading all the comments here I have to say: wow!
Its the teams first game back after 7 months were only a handful of players have played. Even if players were conditioning themselves its nothing like the real thing.

Its like me studying for a exam. Sure I can study for 7 months but when the exam itself comes, its a completely different beast! Same idea here.

My point? Its the first game, there are going to be a lot of mistakes and hick ups especially for a young team.

- I want to see what Barrie does for more than 1 game before thinking about trading/demoting him
- I want to see how Lando - Duch - PAP do before mixing lines up. It took McGinn a good 7 games or so before he got going with Stastny last season
- Etc.

I am not surprised to hear about the defense however. We have a glut of 5 - 6 guys. Only EJ is top pairing and Hedja top 4. Please no argument about Wilson being top 4 or top 6. His play is bipolar. No consistency. Even when he has flashes of being a top 4 he is too inconsistent to be that.

The defense needs a huge overall.

But Dater is right from what I've read and seen from highlights. Same bull **** as last year.

It was the 1st game back from exactly what though? Missing the playoffs, that's right.

Im not seeing any indications that this team is better than last year. In fact they might be worse without O'Reilly.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Flyers actually played very well on Saturday. They were just fatigued today and they got screwed over by two goals they scored which were called off due to incompetent refereeing. We aren't even in their league.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
The Avs looked pretty good out there last night, dont know why everyone is tripping. Its one game, it was close, we never got blown out, and honestly if it werent for those stupid undisciplined penalties by downie we would of won that game. Duchene looked much better and improved, Landy could of had a better game, EJ was beast and looks like theyre finally utilizing him like a number 1 defencmen. The only thing that pissed me off was how they put Barrie out on the 5-on-3. We have 6 flippin defenceman on the bench and you throw out the smallest, youngest, and least experienced out there. I think it cost us that third goal, but whatever Barrie looked pretty good out there the rest of the night and so did most of the team. But just like Dater said, without ROR the Avs are pretenders not contenders.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Flyers actually played very well on Saturday. They were just fatigued today and they got screwed over by two goals they scored which were called off due to incompetent refereeing. We aren't even in their league.

You don't get points for playing well. As of right now they're in a 2 game losing streak.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hunwick should be playing. We need more mobility and puck moving back there.

He played good for us last year. It seems like his first season with us is still tainting a lot of your impressions of him.

I don't have a problem with Sacco seeing what he has on the blueline. Hunwick is not a long-term solution--we know this.

And as a depth guy, he did fine last season after spending nearly the entire season in the press box. But as others have pointed out, the minute Sacco tried him out in a top-four role, he regressed to his usual awful self.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Lol @ the reaction of everyone after this game.

I love people like this. "Haha, you're all overreacting, I know what's what."

Most of us are critiquing a team which played sloppy, flat and undisciplined. What else should we do? The Wild aren't a very good team, I wouldn't even put them in the top half of teams that played last night from what I watched. But we played very rusty and it cost us, which feels a lot like last season.

Must of us just want to see growth this short season, a real effort to get into the playoffs. That game didn't feel like the team shared our dream.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I love people like this. "Haha, you're all overreacting, I know what's what."

Most of us are critiquing a team which played sloppy, flat and undisciplined. What else should we do? The Wild aren't a very good team, I wouldn't even put them in the top half of teams that played last night from what I watched. But we played very rusty and it cost us, which feels a lot like last season.

Must of us just want to see growth this short season, a real effort to get into the playoffs. That game didn't feel like the team shared our dream.

I always have the same reaction, and I've never understood why people feel the need to make comments like that. I'm starting to think they just don't read the critiques, and assume it's people saying we're doomed.

The bottom line is it's early, everyone's out of shape and rusty, but it's painfully obvious there are still things to be concerned about. They have a dire need for a competant defenseman to play with EJ and more offense from the blueline, the special teams are a big concern with or without O'Reilly, and it's still a concern that Stastny and Duchene may not be capable of carrying this team offensively the way they will need to if O'Reilly never returns.

Ironically the sky is falling type of comments are more exemplary of a thoughtless over reaction than what they are accusing others of.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I always have the same reaction, and I've never understood why people feel the need to make comments like that. I'm starting to think they just don't read the critiques, and assume it's people saying we're doomed.

The bottom line is it's early, everyone's out of shape and rusty, but it's painfully obvious there are still things to be concerned about. They have a dire need for a competant defenseman to play with EJ and more offense from the blueline, the special teams are a big concern with or without O'Reilly, and it's still a concern that Stastny and Duchene may not be capable of carrying this team offensively the way they will need to if O'Reilly never returns.

Ironically the sky is falling type of comments are more exemplary of a thoughtless over reaction than what they are accusing others of.

This. They still have not addressed this. EJ's game would explode if he had a compotent partner preferably a veteran whose been around awhile. We just throw a young D-man like him to go learn on his own and I dont like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad