Post-Game Talk: Post Game Colorado Avalanche Vs Minnesota Wild Jan. 19/2013 7:00PM MST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just rewatched the game. The Avs looked like scared babies as soon as the second period started. Poor Varly depending on his defense to clear the junk in front of the net. Sacco's lack of in game decision making still evident this guy needs to be on a short leash. Give him 15 games I say and see how he does.

It's always been his biggest problem and it's probably the reason why he'll only be head coach of the Avalanche and never be heard from again or simply just be an assistant for the rest of his career.

I don't see him getting canned during this shortened season though. I think win or lose he'll be given this whole season and then canned in the off-season if we stink it up large but the O'Reilly situation actually HELPS him in this case. :shakehead

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I love people like this. "Haha, you're all overreacting, I know what's what."

Most of us are critiquing a team which played sloppy, flat and undisciplined. What else should we do? The Wild aren't a very good team, I wouldn't even put them in the top half of teams that played last night from what I watched. But we played very rusty and it cost us, which feels a lot like last season.

Must of us just want to see growth this short season, a real effort to get into the playoffs. That game didn't feel like the team shared our dream.

It annoys me when people start making statement about players, the team, and lines based on one game.

People were saying that Barrie isn't ready. The guy played one game and made quite a few nice decisions. Granted, he made quite a few head scratchers, but it's still only one game and he's still a rookie. Give him time before we make decisions about him.

Pluses from the game-

Before the wipeout Johnson looked great, when he came back he was so-so. Let's hope he shakes it off and plays dominant for the rest of the year.

Duchene looked good. Nothing too fancy, no spins. Played great defensively and hustled.

Stastny made quite a few nice passes. He could have a good year if his line mates start finishing. He does need to become a little less predictable and take a good shot every now and then like on that two on one. Really telegraphed that pass.

Varlamov looked good besides being left on his own a few times.

If we don't become more disciplined we are going to lose alot of games in a similar fashion.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's always been his biggest problem and it's probably the reason why he'll only be head coach of the Avalanche and never be heard from again or simply just be an assistant for the rest of his career.

I don't see him getting canned during this shortened season though. I think win or lose he'll be given this whole season and then canned in the off-season if we stink it up large but the O'Reilly situation actually HELPS him in this case. :shakehead

Just like injuries have always saved his ass in previous years. I started giggling when watching the Flyers game this afternoon and Pierre Mcguire gave his 4 keys to a shortened season. His first key was Adaptive coaching. Something we dont have

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It annoys me when people start making statement about players, the team, and lines based on one game.

If we don't become more disciplined we are going to lose alot of games in a similar fashion.

You just contradicted yourself.

If you don't like people talking about hockey after a game, why are you posting here?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You just contradicted yourself.

If you don't like people talking about hockey after a game, why are you posting here?

I like discussing the team. It's just annoying when fans over-react to a player having a bad game. No need to be snarky. It's just incredibly annoying when people make statements saying this team will be a lottery team, Duchene has no hockey sense or Barrie isn't ready. It's been one game.

I love HF as a resource and alot of people have great opinions. Doesn't change the fact that alot of fans have a tedency to be overly negative.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
You guys want to talk about a meltdown, visit the Wings board. Quite entertaining.

Actually more to the point, go to their Gameday thread and search "Quincey". Downie may do some stupid things but I'm really happy to have him, especially in exchange for KQ.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You guys want to talk about a meltdown, visit the Wings board. Quite entertaining.

Actually more to the point, go to their Gameday thread and search "Quincey". Downie may do some stupid things but I'm really happy to have him, especially in exchange for KQ.

I dislike KQ but Tarashenko is gonna burn alot of dman. Hes salivating at the thought of playing against our D

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I dislike KQ but Tarashenko is gonna burn alot of dman. Hes salivating at the thought of playing against our D

The Avs defence is awful heading up the ice, but the team finished 11th in even strength goals against last season. Granted there is only 7 Western conference teams behind the Avs in that ranking, but I think this line of thinking is backwards. Opposing teams' defencemen should be salivating playing the Avs. 23rd in even strength goals for, 25th in PP goals for.

Of course it is a new season, but going up against the big defencemen doesn't seem like it should be a cake walk.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The Avs defence is awful heading up the ice, but the team finished 11th in even strength goals against last season. Granted there is only 7 Western conference teams behind the Avs in that ranking, but I think this line of thinking is backwards. Opposing teams' defencemen should be salivating playing the Avs. 23rd in even strength goals for, 25th in PP goals for.

Of course it is a new season, but going up against the big defencemen doesn't seem like it should be a cake walk.

Just saying shouldn't that be kind of indicative of our severe lack of power plays last season?

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston

Avs were a threat on the PP, they were top 10 in PP% and around 15th on the PK, a stat HFBoards now conveniently leaves out during the fire sacco weekly rage thread. Although I do agree with what you are saying.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Avs were a threat on the PP, they were top 10 in PP% and around 15th on the PK, a stat HFBoards now conveniently leaves out during the fire sacco weekly rage thread. Although I do agree with what you are saying.

That number is gonna be incredibly low this season without RoR, Winnik and McClement.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The thing that was really alarming to me when watching this game was how far Paul Stastny has fallen off from the player he once was.

I thought he'd step up offensively with Ryan O'Reilly out of the line-up, but he instead showed how one-dimensional his offensive game has become, consistently passing up scoring chances to force passes to his line mates.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
The thing that was really alarming to me when watching this game was how far Paul Stastny has fallen off from the player he once was.

I thought he'd step up offensively with Ryan O'Reilly out of the line-up, but he instead showed how one-dimensional his offensive game has become, consistently passing up scoring chances to force passes to his line mates.

lol yes, let's criticize the best passer on the team for passing to his linemates

Mouse21*

lol yes, let's criticize the best passer on the team for passing to his linemates

many times he had a clear shot on net that would have at least generated a rebound but instead chose to pass into the slot where there were countless wild sticks just waiting to pick it off.

Stastny stinks.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado

I think it's fair to criticize him for looking for the pass first 100% of the time and passing up lots of good scoring opportunities in the process. I have no problem with him passing to McGinn in the 1st, since the goalie was squared up already and McGinn had an empty net to look at. I do have a problem with Stastny having a clean shot on a partial breakaway and trying to force a pass to (Jones?) through 2 sticks, resulting in not even a shot on goal out of what should've been a scoring chance.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I like discussing the team. It's just annoying when fans over-react to a player having a bad game. No need to be snarky. It's just incredibly annoying when people make statements saying this team will be a lottery team, Duchene has no hockey sense or Barrie isn't ready. It's been one game.

I love HF as a resource and alot of people have great opinions. Doesn't change the fact that alot of fans have a tedency to be overly negative.

Not being snarky, just pointing out the contradictions within your own statements. If you want to generalize everyone's comments as overreactions, you'll get equally as pointless re-torques, especially from me. This thread has been good discussion, I too don't like the apocalyptic folks and they've been few and far between.

Last game pointed out a lot of fundamental flaws in the team. Sometimes the best way to judge a team is by the first few games you watch (other times it's obviously not) because you're not jaded by the same mistakes being made.

I for one hope we continue our success against LA on Tuesday, or this will be a long shortened season.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
many times he had a clear shot on net that would have at least generated a rebound but instead chose to pass into the slot where there were countless wild sticks just waiting to pick it off.

Stastny stinks.

If McGinn scored everyone in this thread would have shut up about Stastny.

Story of the guy's life.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
So much overreaction after one game:

Stastny sucks, why can't he force the players he passes to score.
Sacco is a Pejorative Slur, letting jones take faceoffs after Stastny is waved out.
Might as well pack in the season, Seth Jones will look great in an Avs jersey.
The top lines sucked, the top lines sucked.
Barrie is a scrub, he made some good plays but I only remember the bad ones.
Duchene is a bust, doesn't know how to use teammates.
This team has no depth even though the depth lines were the ones who scored.
It's all Sherman's fault for not signing expensive players.
Downie is a ****ing Pejorative Slur, well, he is.

Did I miss anything?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So much overreaction after one game:

Stastny sucks, why can't he force the players he passes to score.
Sacco is a Pejorative Slur, letting jones take faceoffs after Stastny is waved out.
Might as well pack in the season, Seth Jones will look great in an Avs jersey.
The top lines sucked, the top lines sucked.
Barrie is a scrub, he made some good plays but I only remember the bad ones.
Duchene is a bust, doesn't know how to use teammates.
This team has no depth even though the depth lines were the ones who scored.
It's all Sherman's fault for not signing expensive players.
Downie is a ****ing Pejorative Slur, well, he is.

Did I miss anything?

No I think you nailed it. :sarcasm:

Seriously though its comical how many people were ready to jump off the bridge after one game, on the road, against a team that was destine to win on hockey day in their state.

The even funnier part is the fact that we actually played better than they did for most of the game, the one time they were better was the 2nd period where we had a meltdown (and honestly it was more like Downie had a meltdown) and a parade to the penalty box.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Colorado and Minnesota is a good comparison.

Used to be at approximately the same level.

Minnesota now have lots of extremely young talent coming in and made some heavy trades.

Colorado ****ed up signing their top player from last season.

Believe me, I do hope I'm wrong and I would love the Avs to have a great season.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Colorado and Minnesota is a good comparison.

Used to be at approximately the same level.

Minnesota now have lots of extremely young talent coming in and made some heavy trades.

Colorado ****ed up signing their top player from last season.

Believe me, I do hope I'm wrong and I would love the Avs to have a great season.
What heavy trades did Minnesota do?
Schultz->Gilbert? (more offensive D going their way, not really heavy)
Burns->Setogutchi+couple picks+Coyle? (This one was a bit heavier, though Setoguchi is their version of Jones and Burns is much better in comparison).

They were lucky getting both top free agents.
I admit though that they have a good prospect pool and I suspect Minnesota might be good a long time (if they find a replacement for Bäckström). Fletcher has been their saviour no doubt.

And it is very hard to say who messed the up the contract situation regarding the Russian.
I think the most appropriate way to say it is to say that both sides could've handled it much better.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

I agree with this, he was a shadow of his old self despite having played competitive hockey this year (i.e. he shouldn't really be rusty). That said it's one game and lets see if he gets going.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
What heavy trades did Minnesota do?
Schultz->Gilbert? (more offensive D going their way, not really heavy)
Burns->Setogutchi+couple picks+Coyle? (This one was a bit heavier, though Setoguchi is their version of Jones and Burns is much better in comparison).

They were lucky getting both top free agents.
I admit though that they have a good prospect pool and I suspect Minnesota might be good a long time (if they find a replacement for Bäckström). Fletcher has been their saviour no doubt.

And it is very hard to say who messed the up the contract situation regarding the Russian.
I think the most appropriate way to say it is to say that both sides could've handled it much better.

Sorry, my writing was sloppy, apart from their great prospect pool I was referring to Parise and Suter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad