Post-Game Talk: Post Game Colorado Avalanche Vs Minnesota Wild Jan. 19/2013 7:00PM MST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Team looked slow, which considering the lockout, isn't all the shocking. Wild were equally slow to stat the game, but were able to pick it up some later. I'm not too concerned yet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I want it to be Downie that gets put on Dutchy's line in Lando's place. I think Downie would fit in awesomely next to Dutchy and PAP cause he's actually a very nifty passer for someone who brings as much grit and pestiness as he does.

Give Landy a go with Staz and McGinn or Jones, dropping the other one down to the third line with Duke.

I wouldn't separate that 3rd line just yet. Maybe switch Lando with Downie as a minor tweak, but they showed some good effectiveness last night.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think Hejda should play with EJ, because he's better than Wilson and teh 2nd pairing of Hejda and ROB makes no sense whatsoever because of the complete inability of the two of them to mov ethe puck with any sucess.

As for Landeskog playing with Duchene and PAP, I didn't like that line when I first heard about it and I like it even less after last nights game, Lando and Dutch just don't seem like a good fit. Matt tries to do too much by himself and that renders PAP and Lando underutilized. All three of them need a puck on their stick to create something and there just isn't enough puck on the ice to make that line work. As you've pointed out I would put McGinn (a guy that can keep up with Duchene to a certain degree and crashes the net) or Downie (a guy who proved he can play with Duchene on an international level) with Duchene.

Also I really don't see a good fit for PAP on any line without Radar on the team. If he plays with Stastny, he's playing with a guy who's also a pass first player, if he gets sloted next to Duchene, he's too slow to keep up with him and he doesn't have the puck on his stick to create plays like he did with the Islanders. Now if Radar gets back, I wouldn't mind seeing a Landeskog - Radar - PAP line.

As for our PK, I voiced my concerns about it before the season started, there's just no way to replace what Silent Jay, Winnik and Radar brought to this team with the current cast of forwards and when you know that Kobasew is out as well things get even worse.

I'd argue Hejda isn't any better than Wilson on an average night, but it wouldn't serve much of a purpose because neither of them are better than 2nd pairing guys anyways. I think Hunwick might be the only one that does better with EJ than the lot of guys mentioned so far.

I agree on Lando though, we've both mentioned it before the season that they don't make sense together. Every Ava fan expected him to play with Staz before he even made the NHL, its time to see them together.

As far as our PK goes, with O'Reilly and Kobasew I'm comfortable enough with it. Without them, we've got Staz, Landeskog and then bumpkis. Mitchell on the PK?! He was terrible at it.

Oh and PAP and Duchy seemed fine to me, they made nice passes together and looked comfortable.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah and his name is Hunwick. Sacco knows how well they played last year, I don't understand why he didn't start them this year?

Defense for next game.

EJ - Hunwick/Hejda
ROB - Barrie
Zanon - Wilson/Hejda

From reading your post in the transfer thread and now this I think you're taking stupid pills SEPH. Hunny should be no where near the lineup and you want him to play with EJ. :amazed:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd argue Hejda isn't any better than Wilson on an average night, but it wouldn't serve much of a purpose because neither of them are better than 2nd pairing guys anyways. I think Hunwick might be the only one that does better with EJ than the lot of guys mentioned so far.

I agree on Lando though, we've both mentioned it before the season that they don't make sense together. Every Ava fan expected him to play with Staz before he even made the NHL, its time to see them together.

As far as our PK goes, with O'Reilly and Kobasew I'm comfortable enough with it. Without them, we've got Staz, Landeskog and then bumpkis. Mitchell on the PK?! He was terrible at it.

Oh and PAP and Duchy seemed fine to me, they made nice passes together and looked comfortable.

Hejda is easily better positionally, at reading the play defensively, and at clearing the front of the net than Wilson.

Zanon is is the most obvious choice to pair with EJ so they don't have to break up Hejda and OB. Then Wilson can play with O'Brien on the 3rd pairing where they're both better suited.

I don't know why they didn't go with those combos to begin with. How many times does it take to see Wilson struggle on the top pairing before you stop putting him there?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
From reading your post in the transfer thread and now this I think you're taking stupid pills SEPH. Hunny should be no where near the lineup and you want him to play with EJ. :amazed:

Aside from Wilson's solid start last year, Hunwick was EJ's best partner on this team in terms of the entire pairing playing well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wouldn't separate that 3rd line just yet. Maybe switch Lando with Downie as a minor tweak, but they showed some good effectiveness last night.

I don't either. Let's see where we stand in a week or two, then tinker. That said I don't think Sacco picked the best lines to start the season with. I get why he did it, and it makes sense to keep the Staz line that finished last year so strong together and try our two most talented youngsters next to one another, but it wouldn't've been my choice. I just think Landy would fit better with Staz and Jones/McGinn, while Dutchy would do better with PAP and Downie.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Aside from Wilson's solid start last year, Hunwick was EJ's best partner on this team in terms of the entire pairing playing well.

Not sure what you mean by solid start by Wilson. EJ started with Hejda, in the beginning of last year. Hunwick had a good handful of games but the guy isn't an nhl calibre defender his play proved that and 5 games down the stretch isn't going to change that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would be down to see how EJ and Zanon would do together. I think Zanon could do what we hoped Hejda would've done with EJ, and just play smart, positionally sound and physical defense while freeing EJ to be the spark we've lacked from the blueline. Hunny forces EJ to focus on defending more, Hejda just went full Pejorative Slur when we tried it last year, and Wilson's too inconsistent and sloppy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Quincey was EJ's best partner. No one else has looked good for more than a couple games there, and EJ's game usually suffers as well.

Hunwick looked the best when he wasn't playing top pairing minutes with EJ. Once he was his play fell off a cliff.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I believe, along with Dater, that EJ does his best work when paired with a more offensively-minded defenseman. And no, I don't mean Hejda. Not sure SOB is the answer either, but Zanon? Urgh.

And I agree, much as I like Wilson, NO.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I believe, along with Dater, that EJ does his best work when paired with a more offensively-minded defenseman. And no, I don't mean Hejda. Not sure SOB is the answer either, but Zanon? Urgh.

Keep looking down that line up card. If you see a better option we would all love to hear it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Keep looking down that line up card. If you see a better option we would all love to hear it.

And that's the problem. We have a legit top-pairing guy and no one to go with him. Too many depth defenders, not enough impact guys. Hejda was likely signed with the hope that he could be that guy, but as we well know he's been an abysmal failure in that regard.

I suppose I'd like to see EJ and Barrie paired together and see what happens. Yeah, I know, it could be a disaster, but nothing else seems to be working, so why not?

BTW, I've never really paid all that much attention, but how fast is Hejda? I always figured he was fast enough (i.e., Hannan) but obviously not Kyle Cumiskey or anything like that. Reason I ask is because my biggest gripe with the defense as it's currently constructed is that it's too damned slow.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Barrie will be fine. The kid has confidence, can fly and is a great passer. If he tried to do too little last night I would have been worried. Just give him a chance to show what he can do.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Some want Barrie off the lineup, some want him to play top pairing. Lets not go full Pejorative Slur, after just one game. I hope Sacco sticks with the same lineup, just put olvy up to the 3rd line.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
And that's the problem. We have a legit top-pairing guy and no one to go with him. Too many depth defenders, not enough impact guys. Hejda was likely signed with the hope that he could be that guy, but as we well know he's been an abysmal failure in that regard.

I suppose I'd like to see EJ and Barrie paired together and see what happens. Yeah, I know, it could be a disaster, but nothing else seems to be working, so why not?

BTW, I've never really paid all that much attention, but how fast is Hejda? I always figured he was fast enough (i.e., Hannan) but obviously not Kyle Cumiskey or anything like that. Reason I ask is because my biggest gripe with the defense as it's currently constructed is that it's too damned slow.

I like this idea. Only problem is that they are both right handed shooters, and I saw Barrie having a hard time on his off side (playing left) so EJ would have to play left. Still would be interesting

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Some want Barrie off the lineup, some want him to play top pairing. Lets not go full Pejorative Slur, after just one game. I hope Sacco sticks with the same lineup, just put olvy up to the 3rd line.

Pretty much this... Except keep Olver where he is. Give it a bit of time before we freak out. If we start 0-4 or 5 then start to worry. It was a just a bad couple of periods where the rust was obvious and there were chemistry issues. Those take some time to solve. Just moving around players will cause more issues.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

And I agree, much as I like Wilson, NO.

I think a good two way guy will make the best partner for him, but they don't have a guy like that. Everyone that brings an element of offense has too many holes in their game defensively.

That's why Quincey and him formed the Avs best pairing. Even though he's an ass, he was still a competent two way defenseman.

Until they trade or bring in a guy who can play a solid two way game or better, a guy like Zanon is his best partner IMO. He just can't open up enough offensively when partnered with a defensive liability, and he can't cover for all their mistakes either. It hurts his game both offensively and defensively.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010

But Mitchell was one of our best players last night, so I don't know why you would want him on the 4th line.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
Pretty much this... Except keep Olver where he is. Give it a bit of time before we freak out. If we start 0-4 or 5 then start to worry. It was a just a bad couple of periods where the rust was obvious and there were chemistry issues. Those take some time to solve. Just moving around players will cause more issues.

This strategy is good when playing an 82 game season. With only 48 games, a 5 game losing streak means no playoffs.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
A great first period, a ****** second period, and a valiant comeback attempt. Basically, exactly what we saw last year. That's a coaching issue. It's just one game, so no reason to freak out, but Sacco should be on a short leash.

I wouldn't switch up anything just yet. Keep the defense pairings the same for now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This strategy is good when playing an 82 game season. With only 48 games, a 5 game losing streak means no playoffs.

One losing streak isnt going to kill the playoff chances. It lowers the margin of error, but there will be more than a few playoff teams that have 3-4-5 game losing streaks. Change for change sake will likely make the chemistry worse

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
One losing streak isnt going to kill the playoff chances. It lowers the margin of error, but there will be more than a few playoff teams that have 3-4-5 game losing streaks. Change for change sake will likely make the chemistry worse

I'll be interested in comparing notes on this when the season ends. 5 game losing streak is not the same as a 3 game losing streak like you're eluding to...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I wanted Olver in the 3rd line before the game. I just think Olvy is being wasted playing with morons.

But Mitchell was one of our best players last night, so I don't know why you would want him on the 4th line.

Again, it's not so much demoting Mitchell as it is giving Olver a chance.

48 games is a lot. Losing streaks will happen either way, panicking this early could cost you a playoff spot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll be interested in comparing notes on this when the season ends. 5 game losing streak is not the same as a 3 game losing streak like you're eluding to...

Yea I would hazard a guess that most if not all teams that go on a five game losing streak probably miss the playoffs this year. Unless they're in first or second place with a big lead, it will likely be too big a hurdle to get over in the end. There's just so little margin for error in an 82 game season, let alone a 48 game one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad