Speculation: Possible trade deadline acquisitions

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Management is very high on him. I don't think they would even trade him for Kreider if he was available. He is already expected to fill the loss of Corvo( daunting task :sarcasm: ) and we lack any other outstanding D prospects besides him so it would most likely cost more that anyone would be willing to pay.

I was afraid you''d say that, but I had to ask.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Ryane Clowe would look really good in a Blueshirt.
202239839486730403_zHcZ4NsL_b.jpg

There you go. Definitely his color.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Sabres have a glut of defensemen to start the season. I have heard names like McNabb and Leopold may be available. IMO, both would be upgrades on that #6 spot. Would anyone not trade for them?

Leopold is in his final year @ 3 million.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
McNabb would be an interesting piece, but I don't think the Rangers are looking for a guy to break into the league as their #6. Probably just want a reliable vet or something.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The Sabres have a glut of defensemen to start the season. I have heard names like McNabb and Leopold may be available. IMO, both would be upgrades on that #6 spot. Would anyone not trade for them?

Leopold is in his final year @ 3 million.

Not at the start of the season, I wouldn't. I can't start adding salary and moving assets when I don't know what this team is yet. They don't need to be a finished product when they drop the puck on opening night.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Not at the start of the season, I wouldn't. I can't start adding salary and moving assets when I don't know what this team is yet. They don't need to be a finished product when they drop the puck on opening night.

Agreed. But the Rangers will have around $4,091,666 in cap space at the beginning of the year. This is under the supposition that MDZ signs for $2,5M (subtract any sum above the $2,5M mark to this $4M get the accurate number once MDZ is signed). This also includes having Wade Reddens caphit on the team (something that is not certain), along with Micheal Haley as a roster player the entire year. In addition, Michael Sauer on LTIR gives another $1,25M in overage space from Day 1. In other words, $5,341,666 in cap space from Day 1.
As the opener is on January 19, the deadline appears to be on April 5 and the last regular season game around May 8, the season is then 109 days long. The deadline would then be 34 days before the season ends - meaning the prorated factor of "available deadline space" would be 3,205 times that of your cap space available at the beginning of the year (assuming it stays constant until the deadline).
I therefore think that The Rangers will sign one more depth veteran forward now - lots of possibilities here - at a cap hit $1,5 to 2 M thereby leaving $3,3M to 3,8 M to the deadline (prorated this is actually over $10M as an annual caphit) to pickup a veteran rental defenseman and/or another piece for a major SC run. Deeming the need at that point in the season.
But time will tell...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I agree, I just am not sure how many players will be available come the deadline due to the shortened season. Leopold would be a nice addition and it would give him time to figure out the system.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Agreed. But the Rangers will have around $4,091,666 in cap space at the beginning of the year. This is under the supposition that MDZ signs for $2,5M (subtract any sum above the $2,5M mark to this $4M get the accurate number once MDZ is signed). This also includes having Wade Reddens caphit on the team (something that is not certain), along with Micheal Haley as a roster player the entire year. In addition, Michael Sauer on LTIR gives another $1,25M in overage space from Day 1. In other words, $5,341,666 in cap space from Day 1.
As the opener is on January 19, the deadline appears to be on April 5 and the last regular season game around May 8, the season is then 109 days long. The deadline would then be 34 days before the season ends - meaning the prorated factor of "available deadline space" would be 3,205 times that of your cap space available at the beginning of the year (assuming it stays constant until the deadline).
I therefore think that The Rangers will sign one more depth veteran forward now - lots of possibilities here - at a cap hit $1,5 to 2 M thereby leaving $3,3M to 3,8 M to the deadline (prorated this is actually over $10M as an annual caphit) to pickup a veteran rental defenseman and/or another piece for a major SC run. Deeming the need at that point in the season.
But time will tell...

I think if there's a definite upgrade to the bottom six to be found, then there might be a move made. But I can't see or understand adding depth just to add depth. And while they might have some cap flexibility (with DZ and whatever Redden will do to the cap), I wouldn't rush to use the space they do have. With a condensed and compressed season, you need to have that safety net should an injury happen.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I agree, I just am not sure how many players will be available come the deadline due to the shortened season. Leopold would be a nice addition and it would give him time to figure out the system.

This I completely agree with and is something that I think a lot of people are overlooking or not considering.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This I completely agree with and is something that I think a lot of people are overlooking or not considering.

There will likely be more teams in the hunt this year that in a normal year, given that there's far less time to thin the herd. As a result, you'll probably see fewer sellers.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There will likely be more teams in the hunt this year that in a normal year, given that there's far less time to thin the herd. As a result, you'll probably see fewer sellers.

Agreed. Hell, last year was an 82 game season and there still weren't many dance partners. Thats what awarding points for losing has done to the NHL. Everyone thinks they have a shot as the season progresses.

Last season it seemed like Columbus was the only team that got pillaged.

Then again, if theres one thing I've learned on these boards, its that trade proposals dont have to be rooted in any sort of reality.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

And it doesn't have to be Leopold in particular. I just see the beginning of the season as a possible time to add that last piece. They have plenty of cap space. Why not look to solidify that 3rd pairing so that they can play 16-18 minutes a game rather than try and ride (5) guys in the condensed schedule. Lots of facets this season.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
And it doesn't have to be Leopold in particular. I just see the beginning of the season as a possible time to add that last piece. They have plenty of cap space. Why not look to solidify that 3rd pairing so that they can play 16-18 minutes a game rather than try and ride (5) guys in the condensed schedule. Lots of facets this season.

I hear what you're saying. I guess my point is I don't feel like I know or can know what that "last piece" is before they play any games.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Agreed. Hell, last year was an 82 game season and there still weren't many dance partners. Thats what awarding points for losing has done to the NHL. Everyone thinks they have a shot as the season progresses.

Last season it seemed like Columbus was the only team that got pillaged.

Then again, if theres one thing I've learned on these boards, its that trade proposals dont have to be rooted in any sort of reality.

3 points separated 8th and 9th in the East last year. 8 points between 8th and 10th.

5 points separated 8th and 9th in the East last year. 6 points between 8th and 10th.

With this schedule and so many "4 point games" there are going to be a to of teams in playoff contention late in the season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I hear what you're saying. I guess my point is I don't feel like I know or can know what that "last piece" is before they play any games.

As for the "final piece" I have no idea what that might be. I just know that the 3rd pairing will have to be solidified this season eventually. They can't run with (5) defensemen again in the playoffs like last year.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
As for the "final piece" I have no idea what that might be. I just know that the 3rd pairing will have to be solidified this season eventually. They can't run with (5) defensemen again in the playoffs like last year.

But they don't have 5 defensemen. They have 7 with Bickel and Eminger. They have to have some faith that one of those two can do the job, otherwise there was no reason the bring back Eminger.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
But they don't have 5 defensemen. They have 7 with Bickel and Eminger. They have to have some faith that one of those two can do the job, otherwise there was no reason the bring back Eminger.

Eminger can be an OK #6 guy, perhaps. I dont think he was fully healthy towards the end of last season.

Bickel is an ideal 7 - a bruiser that you can bring in for some games that may get out of hand.

Im terrified with either one in the playoffs. But who knows, with a 48 game season it may be more feasible to roll 4 or 5 D-men throughout the playoffs.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Eminger can be an OK #6 guy, perhaps. I dont think he was fully healthy towards the end of last season.

Bickel is an ideal 7 - a bruiser that you can bring in for some games that may get out of hand.

Im terrified with either one in the playoffs. But who knows, with a 48 game season it may be more feasible to roll 4 or 5 D-men throughout the playoffs.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that I can't give up what few assets and capspace I have now to get a bottom pay defenseman when I don't know what this team is yet. I don't think you need to address a possible hole at #6 d-man before the season even starts. If they were going to look for a #6 before the season started, why re-sign Eminger?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I have faith in Eminger as a fine #6. I don't think Torts does, though.

considering he was signed to a one way deal I think they have to have confidence in him. Eminger, Bickel , Gilroy rotate depending on who they are playing or how well one is playing. At the deadline get a better option as a rental

Can someone please post UFA's for next yr on D and F? That will give the list of Trade targets as I highly doubt they add salary to next yr.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00