Speculation: Possible trade deadline acquisitions

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Then why bring him back?

I think Sather and co. may have been worries the cap was going to drop significantly this season. If so, Eminger and Bickel would have been better depth than most teams could afford. Now that they know the rules and have the cap space, I would be surprised if they don't at least try and upgrade somewhere.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The Sabres have a glut of defensemen to start the season. I have heard names like McNabb and Leopold may be available. IMO, both would be upgrades on that #6 spot. Would anyone not trade for them?

Leopold is in his final year @ 3 million.

leopold would be a nice addition...but first obvious question is can he play the right side?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Then why bring him back?

Based on the way they utilized him last year, I think the team views him more as a spare defenseman rather than a regular player. I'd guess that they figure that Eminger, Bickel and Gilroy all bring different skills to the table, and they can be rotated as needed. Doesn't seem like the team considers any of them as a full time option for the bottom pairing.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Based on the way they utilized him last year, I think the team views him more as a spare defenseman rather than a regular player. I'd guess that they figure that Eminger, Bickel and Gilroy all bring different skills to the table, and they can be rotated as needed. Doesn't seem like the team considers any of them as a full time option for the bottom pairing.

They're going to have 8 defensemen on the roster?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They're going to have 8 defensemen on the roster?

Maybe, who knows. They played Bickel at forward last season so you have--for instance--Haley (spare F), Gilroy (spare D) and Bickel (spare F/D). Or you just keep Eminger and Gilroy and alternate the two as needed, with one or two spare forwards.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Something based around Dylan Olsen, Chicago D, late first pick, basically just finishing first cup of coffee in NHL,

for Christian Thomas + X?

Another D body, competes for slot now, has upside potential... could be eventual physical pairing w/McIlrath down the road.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Something based around Dylan Olsen, Chicago D, late first pick, basically just finishing first cup of coffee in NHL,

for Christian Thomas + X?

Another D body, competes for slot now, has upside potential... could be eventual physical pairing w/McIlrath down the road.

Don't think I would make that deal mainly because the Rangers are pretty set on D for the future with Staal, McD, Girardi, MDZ, McI, and Skeji but are pretty thin on scoring foward prospects.

I know the Rangers just added Nash who should be a key scoring threat fir years to come a long with Callahan and Kreider, but if the Rangers can't retain Gaborik for a reasonable price they will have a goal scoring hole to fill.

They would have to make a deal or hope that one of Thomas, MSC, or Miller become scoring threats at the NHL level.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Don't think I would make that deal mainly because the Rangers are pretty set on D for the future with Staal, McD, Girardi, MDZ, McI, and Skeji but are pretty thin on scoring foward prospects.

I know the Rangers just added Nash who should be a key scoring threat fir years to come a long with Callahan and Kreider, but if the Rangers can't retain Gaborik for a reasonable price they will have a goal scoring hole to fill.

They would have to make a deal or hope that one of Thomas, MSC, or Miller become scoring threats at the NHL level.

I see Gaborik staying reasonable but not cheap.
I believe we can move other assets and keep him.
As has been discussed, given the cap reality, one of those might have to be Marc Staal/Girardi. That's certainly not necessary this year (unless we opt for another sniper), but may be likely as other upcoming talent needs to be retained.

We have Fast and possibly St. Croix who are similar to Thomas, perhaps a little more likely to make it, but it's a guess I admit. Any could be boom bust, with upside of boom significant if the player can stick at the NHL level. So given Fast + MSC, Thomas could be expendable, and a former first round D who can compete for the bottom pair now seems good to me, esp. since Noreau etc are a bit aways at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->